PDA

View Full Version : Biloxi Magic Win thanks to PD

esabyrn333
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
We won our first game tonight 29-6. I want to think everyone for thier advice, I wrestled from the time I was 8 years old basketball was never my thing. So far all I have been working on are lay ups, Sprints, and I have taught them all to have a very nice wrestling stance and to keep thier hands moving.
We where light years ahead of the teams I have seen as far as our conditioning is conserned and our Defense was sick. I have the only team in the league playing man defense. That seemed to be what everyone here seemed to think I should do and I found it to be easier with my back ground to teach. Instead of working for hand control they work on taking the ball from the other teams player.
Every steal we got we had 5 guys sprinting down the court just laying it in. When in doubt take it hard to the hole.
I got to work on setting your pivit foot and blocking out. If anyone has some drills I can teach them or advice let me know.
Agian thanks to everyone everything I know about basketball I learn here. The other team scored the first 2 points and didn't score agian until the last 2 minutes of the game I guess I need to work on make sure my guys finish what they start.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Damn.

JayRedd
01-23-2008, 12:12 AM
I got to work on setting your pivit foot and blocking out. If anyone has some drills I can teach them or advice let me know.

Nice D.

As for the boards...We used to do four-on-four shell drill with rebounding.

Just start with basic shell drill: Four kids playing man-to-man D on you and three other kids (you at the top of the key...kids at wing, wing, block). Just swing the ball around the perimeter and toss it in the post here and there. Don't dribble or nothing...just pass slowly and make the defenders rotate to proper see-ball-man position. And don't let the defenders use their hands or steal the ball...it's all about position. They are only to rotate and maintain a good defensive stance.

Then after a minute or so, pop a shot and have the offensive guys crash the boards. If the defensive team doesn't get the board they run up and back twice. Or a suicide if you wanna be a real dick about it.

They'll start boxing out well in no time.

CableKC
01-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Wait a sec....your team held the other team to ONLY 6 points for the entire game?

Not that it really matters.......cuz a win is a win especially when you hold the other team to 6 PTS....but just so that I can have a reference point...how old are the kids on your team?

Regardless....good job...keep it up.

Anyway you can teach Murphy some of those defensive moves?

One last thing.....why did you name your team the Magic? Why not the Biloxi Pacers?

Trader Joe
01-23-2008, 01:03 AM
We did a lot of fast break defensive and offensive drills when I was a kid. Like drills where you have to advance the ball just with passes, and complete a certain number before you can shoot. Usually these drills were 3 on 2.

esabyrn333
01-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Wait a sec....your team held the other team to ONLY 6 points for the entire game?

Not that it really matters.......cuz a win is a win especially when you hold the other team to 6 PTS....but just so that I can have a reference point...how old are the kids on your team?

Regardless....good job...keep it up.

Anyway you can teach Murphy some of those defensive moves?

One last thing.....why did you name your team the Magic? Why not the Biloxi Pacers?

We didn't get to pick the name of the team we got. If I had it my way they would have been the Pacers for sure. They are 11-12 years old. I will try the crab drill tonight. Its crazy the harder I am on them and the more I make them run and ride thier buts the more they love it. I really think kids these days crave a strong adult male figure and want disipline. I think alot of parents have gotten to soft on thier kids myself included though I think my son would say diffrent.

Eindar
01-23-2008, 06:25 AM
We didn't get to pick the name of the team we got. If I had it my way they would have been the Pacers for sure. They are 11-12 years old. I will try the crab drill tonight. Its crazy the harder I am on them and the more I make them run and ride thier buts the more they love it. I really think kids these days crave a strong adult male figure and want disipline. I think alot of parents have gotten to soft on thier kids myself included though I think my son would say diffrent.

My favorite coach in all 4 youth sports I was involved in from age 7-13 was also the hardest on us. What made me love him as a coach was the fact that we all knew that he was hard on us for a reason. We could see ourselves improving, and we knew that he knew what he was talking about when he yelled at us. It's a respect issue. Most importantly, as your boys are seeing, the proof was always in the pudding. The harder we worked, the more fun we had on game day. This culminated in my last youth football season, where we played 8 games, and went un-scored upon.

Good work with those kids.

indygeezer
01-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Uncle Buck would be soooo dayum proud.
Way to teach defense!!

Congrats

N8R
01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Its all about out hustling the other team on everything. Just make them run and you can out run every other team. Keep the floor spread, teach proper passing and boxing out. Boxing out is the most important thing and if you do a free throw game get them on the line. Anyone who can't make 2 in a row runs. And after a while get it to 3 in a row.

we used to do the 3 man weave but that taught me nothing. I think you should focus solely on trick shots, dunking, and jacking up 3's.

Doug
01-23-2008, 10:32 AM
we used to do the 3 man weave but that taught me nothing.

The 3-man weave teaches passing to where the open man is going to be, not where he's at - that is, leading the receiver. And also passing quickly without hesitation and without dribbling, all while in constant motion. You have to run, cut, catch, pass, all without dribbling. And shoot a layup without dribbling, which means the ball has to be delivered in the right place and the shooter has to catch, plant, and lay it in, also without thinking too much.

Good drill. I wouldn't run that a lot, but 5 minutes here and there is OK. We used it for warm-ups instead of the ol' standard layup line. The kids liked it, too - they thought it was fun.

Slick Pinkham
01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Uncle Buck would be soooo dayum proud.
Way to teach defense!!

Congrats

If you teach one of your bigger kids to set bone-jarring picks ala Dale Davis, Peck will be proud of you too!

;)

BoomBaby33
01-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Try this drill. Its what we did for the first half hour of every one of our practices.

http://www.jes-basketball.com/animated/dfastbreak11manfastbreak2.html

"11 man fast break" teaches alot about getting back on D, learning to stop (defend) the ball first, defensive rotations, learning to run a fast break, learning to pass the ball away from the basket after you get a defensive rebound. Whomever gets the rebound gets to run again to the other end as well, so it encourages the kids to go after a rebound.

We loved coaching this to our girls AAU team for several years. Whats more, the girls loved it too. Its essentially a 3 on 2 fast break drill, back and forth down the court. Its alot of stuff wrapped up in one drill.

You can go through it slow at first, to talk about individual responsibilites as well for each of the 5 players running.

The secret about this drill is that it becomes a fun way to condition the kids as well when you run it continuously without stopping (shhhh - dont tell them its conditioning too). They don't see it that way though. Our girls were the best conditioned team we ever played, but never ran many suicides, except at the end of practice after missed free throws.

Its alot of fun for the coaches too, cause you can get to get involved if you don't have 11 players.

LoneGranger33
01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Congrats! Keep up the good work and do keep us posted on the team's progress.

On a semi-related note, what kind of offense requires the least amount of dribbling?

Doug
01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
"11 man fast break"

That is my absolute favorite drill. Loved it as a player. Would have used it when I was coaching, except you can't do it with a 9 girl team.

I wouldn't do ANY drill for 1/2 hour though. Kids lose focus quickly. 10 minutes is about tops for me.

Eindar
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I gotta admit, the 11 man fast break was probably my favorite drill as well. Our team had the slowest pace in our league (6'8" Center, no true PGs), but we still learned a lot about running a fast break, and had a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

BoomBaby33
01-23-2008, 06:51 PM
That is my absolute favorite drill. Loved it as a player. Would have used it when I was coaching, except you can't do it with a 9 girl team.

I wouldn't do ANY drill for 1/2 hour though. Kids lose focus quickly. 10 minutes is about tops for me.

We only had 8-9 girls at practice each time ourselves, but still ran it, with us 3 coaches running too, and sometimes the girls would just slide down one spot on the sidelines. We ran it when the girls were in the 11-15 age range.

It is a really fun drill, but we used it to teach alot of the intricate facits of the game, as I spoke above. Our offense was simple. Pass, cut, pick. We stressed correct spacing alot though. Needless to say, our team was mostly run 'n gun, and the girls loved it. We won alot of games and tournaments despite being undersized with this offense. Our shortest player was our best rebounder.

Anyway, they would do it for 1/2 hour easy, and they didn't want to quit except when they got a drink. Hey, they never complained.

aceace
01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
One drill I liked was starting at one end and passing the ball back and forth making it to the other end without traveling, (about 12' apart). Conditions and teaches concentration. 6 on each end, so not a lot of time in between drills.

I would make them run the lines till the first one puked (kidding)

skyfire
01-23-2008, 11:00 PM
If you are teaching them man to man defense you should try to instill some aspects of providing help from the weak side. Playing tough man to man will work well against younger players but as soon as they come up against a team with a player(s) who can beat them off the dribble you will need the rest of your team mates to be in position to help out.

3 and 5 man weave drills are good for working on passing and movement.

With young players, getting them to work on their footwork is an important skill. If you have them work 1 on 1, catch the ball at the top, establish their pivot foot, fake to pass, drive or shoot and then drive past their defender, they will start to pick up these skills.

The Hustler
01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Congratulations Sir,

I must say i love the idea of a young team that is proud of it's defence! Far too many young teams jack up too many shots and play lazy defence, everything you said in that post hit all the right buttons on how i think grass roots basketball should be played.

Working on blocking out is a good next step. I you have a team that is in good condition and can defend+rebound well, your 90% of the way there. The offensive side is the easy part once those 3 things are sorted!

Congratulations again!

esabyrn333
01-26-2008, 10:41 AM
2-0

We won last night 25-14. We didn't pay well but this team was better than the last also. I won't get anymore practice time before our next game due to the wether and Mardi Garsi so I will have to work with them right before our next game. My post defenders got pulled out to frequently. I have to drill it into there heads to stay home. On O I plan to have my post guys flash out the the 3 point line to see if there defenders will follow them out. If so my pg is good enough to come off the screen and take it to the hole on anyone in this league. I could really see this kid making it big some day. We will press on my D on the wings is unbelievable. The rebounding was much improved. Other than my post guys staying home. I believe I have my rotations tweeked to have a strongst possible team on the court at all times and to make sure everyone gets to play alot.