PDA

View Full Version : Kravitz struggling to understand Dungy's decision.

pacercoltfan
01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080122/COLUMNISTS01/801220376/1247/SPORTS

Kravitz: Struggling to understand Dungy's decision

I am uncomfortable.

I am uncomfortable because I simply can't talk myself out of writing the following words, words that will incur the near-universal wrath of a city that has come to revere Tony Dungy, not only as a coach but as a man:

I think that by returning to the Colts, and doing so after his entire family moved out of Indianapolis and back to Tampa, Fla., for reasons he prefers remain private, Dungy has revealed himself as something of a hypocrite.

As one of the chief spokesmen for All Pro Dad, an organization dedicated to strengthening the bonds of fathers with their children, he has spoken passionately about the importance of men putting their faith and family first, before football and all else.

So I don't understand:

What came first here?

If family is really first, doesn't Dungy decide to live in the same city with his wife and children? Remember, Dungy not only has one adult daughter and a high school-age son. He and his wife also have three little ones, a first-grader, a kindergartener and an infant.

Dungy said Monday he had the support of his family, but my guess is the three youngest ones didn't have much input.

Again, I'm uncomfortable. I'm uncomfortable about passing judgment on anybody or anything deeper than a decision to punt on fourth-and-2. I'm especially loath to pass judgment on the way another man handles his personal business.

But Dungy has used his pulpit as a head football coach to advise others in the art of fatherhood, and has left himself open to charges of hypocrisy.
It's understood that owner Jim Irsay, whose heart is bigger than even his wallet, has made arrangements that will allow the Dungys to spend additional time together. Tony will fly to Tampa, the family will fly to Indianapolis, all of that on Irsay's dime.

Understand, though, we're not talking about a man who, like Dungy's late father, had to teach in a school district 80 miles away from the Dungy home and was, at times, a weekend dad. Tony Dungy had the financial freedom to make a choice based solely on what he believed was best for his family.

Is it better for a father to be a phone call away, or merely a whisper?
I don't claim to know much about fatherhood, which should not come as a newsflash to my two, teenage daughters. (Both are remarkably well adjusted, thanks to my wife). What I do know is that being around is better than not being around. Even if the average conversation consists of "How was school? . . . Fine. . . . Done your homework? . . . Yep.''

Still, there are those moments, sitting on the couch late at night, when one of my daughters will wordlessly sidle over and rest her head on my shoulder for no good reason, and it's like the secret to parenthood has been unlocked forever.

Quality of time is deeply important. But there's a lot to be said about quantity of time.

Again, I'm not saying Dungy is in any way lacking as a father. That would be wrong-headed and cruel, especially in light of the family tragedy two years ago, a horror that showed us again how little control even the most loving and attentive parents have.

What I'm saying is, I see a troubling disconnect between word and deed here. I see someone who has used his pulpit to speak about family issues and specifically the importance of fatherhood, and someone who has made a decision that appears, at least on the surface, to be hypocritical.
(And for what it's worth, I specifically asked Dungy that question in the news conference, and later, we spoke informally and I shared these views. As always, he gracefully acknowledged how someone might have these questions and added, "Trust me when I say we've prayed and thought this through'').

At the news conference, I asked, "How do you square your philosophy about family and faith, especially family, with the fact you're going to be a long-distance dad for one year or maybe longer?''

Dungy responded evenly: "We have a lot of things going on in our family that won't be public, don't need to be public and don't need to be anybody else's business, but we have our kids' best interests in mind. We think we're going to be OK.''

In recent days, I've had several people wonder whether the Dungys were thumbing their nose at Indianapolis by moving the family south. I'll tell you what I told them: It's not our business. The family would have made the move whether Dungy stayed in Tampa or returned to Indy, and whatever those reasons were, those are private.

On the issue of the decision to return, and the reasons he made them, I believe that's fair game, especially given his very public views on parenting.

I wish I could join the mindless "Tony's Back!'' pep rally that has broken out in town, just blindly celebrate the return of the man who made the Colts a Super Bowl champion.

But I am uncomfortable.

Just uncomfortable.

Trader Joe
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
I have a feeling Kravitz struggles to understand "One Fish, Two Fish. Red Fish, Blue Fish."

Bball
01-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I agreed with Kravitz a week ago where he essentially said if Tony is even considering retirement then that says it all and means he isn't 100% committed to the Colts.

That said... Reading the above column, and the angle Kravitz focused upon, makes me....
...uncomfortable.

-Bball

Hoop
01-23-2008, 02:19 AM
I agreed with Kravitz a week ago where he essentially said if Tony is even considering retirement then that says it all and means he isn't 100% committed to the Colts.

That said... Reading the above column, and the angle Kravitz focused upon, makes me....
...uncomfortable.

-Bball
Agreed. I liked his take, for once, on the whole thing before this latest article.

travmil
01-23-2008, 06:52 AM
He's just upset that he doesn't have Dungy leaving to write about all off season to remind Colts fans why they have no hope.

DisplacedKnick
01-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Kravitz is an idiot.

Unless he's a trained psychiatrist who has had sessions with Dungy then he can't say with any certaintly whether Dungy is putting his family first or not by coaching.

I'm not a trained shrink either but I know that one of their mantra's is that in order to take care of others, you have to take care of yourself first. If Dungy talked it over with his family and if they support what he's doing then it's perfectly possible for Dungy to coach the Colts and still put his family first.

I'll repeat for emphasis: Kravitz is an idiot - and that's the first time I've ever written that.

McClintic Sphere
01-23-2008, 07:56 AM
His article just seems like a tantrum based on the fact that he doesn't have a sexy 'new coach' story to write about. He was already campaigning for a wider coaching search when the Jim Caldwell succession plan was revealed. So he doesn't have either one of those to write about and he doesn't know squat about hoops, so he decides to set off a grenade in order to lash out at those who won't plant a story in his lap.

Every time one of these Star marketers call me to see if I want to subscribe (which is about once a month), I'm going to ask them if they plan on keeping Krapitz, and if they do, then I will not give them a penny during his tenure. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

Elgin56
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Is a writer for a newspaper suppose to spout the company line? I for one appreciate when a writer goes out on a limb and points out an inconsistency. This is what freedom of speech is all about. If Tony can't take questioning of an obvious contradiction to what he espouses, than he is not the man that I thought he was. I am sure that Tony is tough enough to take a critizism by a local sports writer. All public figures are subjected to this type of scrutinty, why should Tony be any different?

jeffg-body
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I have to agree with a lot of posters here, Kravits has a hard time understanding a lot of things.
:darkness::dj::pepper::rockon::carrot::pineapple:r ock::cucumber::king::bananadan

McClintic Sphere
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Elgin56, I find your reasoning and Kravitz's preposterous.

As he states, he has no clue as to the arrangements Irsay has made for Dungy in order to accomodate he and the Dungy family. He has no idea what the Dungy kids feel about the matter or what they want for their Dad. We have seen the universal respect that TD gets from former players, coaches and the rest of the NFL outside Beliprick. And yet Krappy has the gall to question his integrity on matters of fatherhood? I mean come on, if he really has that much concern for the matter of familial integrity he could use his precious journalistic space for a hell of lot better purchase than to bash Tony Dungy, who does tons for charities and, I'm certain, a lot for people we don't even hear about.

With the long hours NFL coaches work and the fact TD has had a family for a while, It begs the question, why is this just an issue to Kravitz now? He should be raising it to every coach in pro sports who has a family.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this was nothing but a tantrum due to the fact that Krap****z didn't get the outcome to the Colt's coaching search that he wanted, plus the fact he just got a new show on 1070am and can't get attention through insight, so he decided to take his frustration out on Dungy and grab some limelight for himself in the process.

BTW, the Gannett company line isn't in Indy, it's in suburban Washington, DC.

Elgin56
01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Elgin56, I find your reasoning and Kravitz's preposterous.

As he states, he has no clue as to the arrangements Irsay has made for Dungy in order to accomodate he and the Dungy family. He has no idea what the Dungy kids feel about the matter or what they want for their Dad. We have seen the universal respect that TD gets from former players, coaches and the rest of the NFL outside Beliprick. And yet Krappy has the gall to question his integrity on matters of fatherhood? I mean come on, if he really has that much concern for the matter of familial integrity he could use his precious journalistic space for a hell of lot better purchase than to bash Tony Dungy, who does tons for charities and, I'm certain, a lot for people we don't even hear about.

With the long hours NFL coaches work and the fact TD has had a family for a while, It begs the question, why is this just an issue to Kravitz now? He should be raising it to every coach in pro sports who has a family.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this was nothing but a tantrum due to the fact that Krap****z didn't get the outcome to the Colt's coaching search that he wanted, plus the fact he just got a new show on 1070am and can't get attention through insight, so he decided to take his frustration out on Dungy and grab some limelight for himself in the process.

BTW, the Gannett company line isn't in Indy, it's in suburban Washington, DC.

Sorry, I should know better than try to defend someone who even remotely questions GOD, err Dungy.

ABADays
01-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't understand how consulting with your family and children strays from his principles in life. Doesn't confuse me at all.

ViperVisor
01-23-2008, 04:21 PM
To start I am biased a bit against Tony as a guy because of his right wing views on some things.

I didn't know he had 3 small kids. That really works against being an All Pro dad. When kids up to 12yo+ they are less attached to you and you can't really impose yourself on them a lot so a limited time with them works with you in a way.

But as long as 2008 is his last year with this situation he doesn't lose much of his credibility.

Trader Joe
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
To start I am biased a bit against Tony as a guy because of his right wing views on some things.

I didn't know he had 3 small kids. That really works against being an All Pro dad. When kids up to 12yo+ they are less attached to you and you can't really impose yourself on them a lot so a limited time with them works with you in a way.

But as long as 2008 is his last year with this situation he doesn't lose much of his credibility.

You need to read Dungy's autobiography.

grace
01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Just when I didn't think :kravitz: could be any more of a dick he tops himself. After the season was over and :kravitz: wrote his article saying that Dungy was going to retire Kegboy told me "It's official, Tony is staying." Now :kravitz: is pissed he was wrong yet again.

Every year for the last 3 years Tony and his family have discussed whether he should continue coaching or not. Where would the Colts organization and fans be if he'd retired after his son died? Do you honestly think the Colts would have won the Super Bowl last year? (Don't anybody dare evoke John Gruden. A trained monkey could have beaten his old team that was still running the same plays from when he coached the team.)

Tony said in his press conference that he stayed because he thought he was the best man for the job. I happen to agree with him. As far as I'm concerned he can stay with the Colts as long as he and his family think is best. Who gives a rat's :censored: that :kravitz: thinks.

And while I have your attention Bob (we all know you lurk here :wave: ) I heard that ridiculous commercial for your new radio show. You know the one where you say Jersey Johnny wanted your show and what he really wants is his own network. Let me tell you, I'd listen to Jersey Johnny 24/7 for eternity before I'd ever listen to one second of your show.

Lord Helmet
01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Kravitz said his daughter showed him the "Kradger"

Is the "Kradger" anywhere else on the net?

:laugh:

Sollozzo
01-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Every year for the last 3 years Tony and his family have discussed whether he should continue coaching or not. Where would the Colts organization and fans be if he'd retired after his son died? Do you honestly think the Colts would have won the Super Bowl last year?

Honestly, I think that any NFL caliber coach could have won a Super Bowl with this roster over 5 years like TD. Am I saying that Tony is just an average coach? Absolutely not. Tony Dungy was instrumental in building this beast of a team (along with Polian). Only the most upper level of coaches could build this defense up like he did. That makes Dungy an elite coach. But his ingame playoff coaching has to be questioned.

But this team has underachieved the past 5 seasons. That sounds really selfish as a fan given the fact that they have won a super bowl. But I think it's unfortunately true. This team has 5 years of regular season success that is virtually unparalleled in the history of the game. And despite being so dominant, 2 of those seasons has ended in a bye week collapse.

I can somewhat live with the first 2 New England losses (we could have won the first one). But the fact that 2 out of the last 3 seasons has ended in a bye week loss at home is underachieving given this teams success. I don't think there is any other way to say it.

I will always be grateful for the superbowl. It was the greatest sports month in my life. Even if the Colts win 2 more, nothing could top the feeling of the first one. And I will always love Dungy for how he was such a great ambassador for the city. But I will contend that any almost any coach could have won a super bowl if they were handed our roster.

Like I said, Dungy was the one who had a large say in drafting a lot of these guys and he helped build them up. And few could do that as great as Dungy. But as far as in game playoff coaching, I think almost any coach could have accomplished what he did.

We all as Colts fans hate Belichick. But there is absolutely no way that BB would lose 2 out of 3 years in a bye week home playoff game. It just wouldn't happen. BB and company always protect their field.

I too feel that Kravitz' article was strange. It's a little over the top to call him a hypocrite when none of us can know what goes on in Dungy's private life. I said that I didn't think that DUngy would be back because I didn't feel his heart was 100% here anymore based on his manurisms and the fact that his family moved. But I was obviously wrong. And I am going to believe Dungy that he really wants to be here and coach this team.

I think the new stadium has to be a part of it. I would think Dungy has to feel like he is a big reason the stadium is being built given the fact that the team has been so successful under him. It would be hard to leave without ever experiencing something that you knew you had a big hand in building.

Gyron
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Kravitz said his daughter showed him the "Kradger"

Is the "Kradger" anywhere else on the net?

:laugh:

Someone on PD created the Kradger if I'm not mistaken.

You now he reads PD, too many of his articles are soooooo close to things that have been said on PD.

naptownmenace
01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Personally, I don't agree with Kravitz but he does what he's suppose to and want's to do - get people talking.

At least he gave us something to talk about during this boring non-NFL week before the Super Bowl week.

Since86
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a feeling that Krapitz doesn't understand a lot of things, so what's new?

Second line.