PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger Reported Dead (AP / TMZ)

avoidingtheclowns
01-22-2008, 04:48 PM
holy ****

BC-APNewsAlert,0041

NEW YORK (AP) - A New York Police Department spokesman says the actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at a downtown Manhattan residence.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
AP-NY-01-22-08 1642EST

TMZ has learned that Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams. He was set to play the Joker in the upcoming Batman film "The Dark Knight."

Story developing...

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/22/heath-ledger-is-dead/

avoidingtheclowns
01-22-2008, 04:53 PM
ENPS is saying it is drug related... not sure what yet

EDIT: UPDATE

MSNBC is reporting that he was found, surrounded by pills.

Hicks
01-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Holy ****.

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I just heard this. Wow.

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Btw, they hadn't finished filming yet, had they? I wonder if the film will be salvagable at this point.

Man, this is a shocker. I had to do a triple-take to make sure I heard right. Wow.

R.I.P. Heath

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Apparently, the news is reporting that filming was indeed finished, and that he had apparently overdosed on sleeping pills after breaking up with his girlfriend. That's freakin' sad.

avoidingtheclowns
01-22-2008, 05:15 PM
updated

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When he didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him, and when they couldn't they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/22/heath-ledger-is-dead/

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh, I guess the girlfriend was his former fiancee, and they broke up a few months ago. Might be related, might not. But he also leaves behind a two-year-old daughter. That really sucks.

Naptown_Seth
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Michelle Williams of Brokeback Mtn, etc is the ex/mother of daughter. IIRC they met on the film.

Primary shooting should have wrapped on DK for it to make it's release date I'd think.

Still this is going to make for a really weird film release. What a stupid waste right when his career was kicking into top gear (Oscar caliber role, major blockbuster right on top of each other).

Mal's avy now freaks me out.

rexnom
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Jesus ****.

aero
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
The Joker has lost his smile :(

RIP Heath

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Michelle Williams of Brokeback Mtn, etc is the ex/mother of daughter. IIRC they met on the film.

Primary shooting should have wrapped on DK for it to make it's release date I'd think.

Still this is going to make for a really weird film release. What a stupid waste right when his career was kicking into top gear (Oscar caliber role, major blockbuster right on top of each other).

Mal's avy now freaks me out.

True. It'll probably feel very reminiscent of The Crow.

bellisimo
01-22-2008, 05:34 PM
True. It'll probably feel very reminiscent of The Crow.

Just heard the news on digg - damn that came out of nowhere. RIP.
and it is a bit too creepy to be like The Crow.

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Just heard the news on digg - damn that came out of nowhere. RIP.
and it is a bit too creepy to be like The Crow.

The Crow was just as creepy, if not creepier. Brandon Lee died on the freakin' set.

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:37 PM
More news: Apparently, Ledger didn't die in his apartment. He died in Mary Kate Olsen's apartment. :confused:

This is getting really bizarre.

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Uh oh...here it comes. I was just talking to my friend about this and said it won't be long before the media spins this to blame Ledger's preparation for the Joker role, since he apparently did some weird, disturbing things to get into the right frame of mind for the role.

Hicks
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Uh oh...here it comes. I was just talking to my friend about this and said it won't be long before the media spins this to blame Ledger's preparation for the Joker role, since he apparently did some weird, disturbing things to get into the right frame of mind for the role.

Watching CNN Headline News right now, and they're talking about how he's a method actor, etc. The thing that grabbed me? They said the character of the Joker was really bothering him with his lack of redeeming qualities and how he's essentially a demonic character, and that this was causing him to only be able to sleep a couple hours a night, so he was taking sleeping pills to deal with that, and that sometimes they didn't work.

Makes me think the role indirectly led to this......

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Watching CNN Headline News right now, and they're talking about how he's a method actor, etc. The thing that grabbed me? They said the character of the Joker was really bothering him with his lack of redeeming qualities and how he's essentially a demonic character, and that this was causing him to only be able to sleep a couple hours a night, so he was taking sleeping pills to deal with that, and that sometimes they didn't work.

Makes me think the role indirectly led to this......

Yeah, there's a chance that it was just an accident rather than a suicide. I wonder how many pills he took.

Shade
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Btw, ticket sales for TDKR will SKYROCKET thanks to this. Lots of people will see it now just out of morbid curiosity.

obnoxiousmodesty
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Oh my goodness. I really enjoyed his work. Rest in peace Heath.

Kegboy
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Btw, ticket sales for TDKR will SKYROCKET thanks to this. Lots of people will see it now just out of morbid curiosity.

Now see, I'm the exact opposite. I don't want to see it now.

Trader Joe
01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm sure some of it was the way he prepared for his role (locking himself in a hotel room by himself for a month) and probably just the general mindset of being the Joker. This sucks though.

Mary-Kate is the one that has been in rehab correct? I blame her.

avoidingtheclowns
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
reports say it was NOT mary-kate's residence. also TMZ reporting heath had substance abuse problem

Heath Had Substance Abuse Problem
Posted Jan 22nd 2008 5:43PM by TMZ Staff (http://www.tmz.com/bloggers/tmz-staff/)

TMZ has learned Heath Ledger had a substance abuse problem. A Ledger confidante tells us he had been clean for a year.

Contrary to several published reports, we're told Ledger had not been in rehab.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/22/heath-had-substance-abuse-problem/

Lord Helmet
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Terrible, shocking news. Watching TDK won't be the same now.

Hicks
01-22-2008, 06:11 PM
This doesn't lower or heighten my wanting to see the film (I really, really, really wanted to see it yesterday and I still do). It just puts a twisted slant on watching it.

I hope people will realize that my avatar is out of excitement for the movie, was up before this happened, and is in no way a reaction to his death in some morbid fashion.

efx
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
RIP a very fine actor. Goes to show you, once again, that money and looks still won't make you immune to real problems.

ABADays
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
"Journalists" never, ever learn a freaking thing. We have one incident, one person, one place yet they have him all over the place with all sorts of speculation. GD - be a freaking professional and quit trying to be first.

That said, I enjoyed his work. He was really good in "The Patriot" but I most enjoyed his character in "A Knight's Tale". Sad, Sad thing.

Hoop
01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Damn shame, I liked his movies. I never saw Brokeback, but I own the DVD of 10 Things I Hate About You, A Knights Tale and The Patriot.

I was looking forward to The Dark Night, saw a extended preview of it when I saw I Am Legend, looked like he did a great job as the new Joker.

rexnom
01-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Just ****ing unbelievable.

Hicks
01-22-2008, 10:49 PM
A couple of updates. Sorry, no links but they're out there; I just read them and moved on before posting.

1) Police are saying he appeared to have accidentally died, no suicide.

2) Ain't It Cool News is saying that because he wanted to be completely free for the next movie he was working on, he had already gotten all of his work (including post-production pick-ups and line dubbing) completed for The Dark Knight, so his entire performance is in tact for that movie.

tora tora
01-22-2008, 11:32 PM
never heard of him...oh well r.i.p.

edit - wow, you guys make it sound like he was the second coming

SoupIsGood
01-23-2008, 12:01 AM

Or out of respect for the guy? Reading about how he prepares for his roles, it'd seem like acting was more than a job for him. More like like his "art" to a very serious degree, something he was intensely devoted to. I'll be viewing DK as a sort of tribute to the guy.

BoomBaby31
01-23-2008, 12:29 AM
I think this is the most shocking celebrity death I can remember. Usually you hear things and your like "well I could see that" well not with Heath, it's so stunning. I never know what to write on these threads but feel like it deserves at least a response. I'm not a big Batman guy but the Joker looks awesome in the film, that's why I personally wanted to see it. It isn't necessary to go over his acting career the guy was superb on every single role he did from 10 things.. to Brokeback. Makes me honestly want to cry.

Hoop
01-23-2008, 12:48 AM

He was a very good actor and already had a lot of success at a young age. Also he just seemed like a nice guy in interviews I'd seen with him. It's just very sad.

Trader Joe
01-23-2008, 01:13 AM

Well Nicholson also played the joker and everyone I have read says that Heath did a much better job.

Stryder
01-23-2008, 07:44 AM
A couple of updates. Sorry, no links but they're out there; I just read them and moved on before posting.

1) Police are saying he appeared to have accidentally died, no suicide.

2) Ain't It Cool News is saying that because he wanted to be completely free for the next movie he was working on, he had already gotten all of his work (including post-production pick-ups and line dubbing) completed for The Dark Knight, so his entire performance is in tact for that movie.

Wait until the autopsy and toxicology report, then decide on if it is suicide or accidental.

Gyron
01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Does anyone have the latest version of the TDK trailer? Maybe Tora Tora might see a little piece of how good he was?

N8R
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
it is a shocker but I actually laughed when I heard it. I am messed up though so for some reason it was funny.

avoidingtheclowns
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
best buy ftw

When Is a Makeshift Best Buy Tribute to Heath Ledger Too Soon? The Answer: Always. (http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/01/23/when-is-a-makeshift-best-buy-tribute-to-heath-ledger-too-soon-the-answer-always/)

Yesterday evening, only a few hours after the tragic passing of Heath Ledger, we received this e-mail from reader Don T., who stumbled across a thoughtfully arranged makeshift Heath Ledger Tribute at his local Best Buy in Mission Valley San Diego. A small sign, created by the company’s finest 1998-era laser printer, informs its customers that they should “Remember a Great Actor Through Great Performances”, tastefully suggesting that customers — who may not have even been aware of his passing — grieve the only way they know how: By reliving the romantic hijinx that is 10 Things I Hate About You.

Take a look at this tribute, and then ask yourself: Too soon?

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/01/HEATHLEDGEMEMORIAL.jpg

Kudos to the store’s manager for realizing that from a tragedy, there comes profit.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/01/23/when-is-a-makeshift-best-buy-tribute-to-heath-ledger-too-soon-the-answer-always/

skyfire
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Yet another Australian celebrity dies. A terrible loss, he was a great actor.

rexnom
01-23-2008, 09:46 PM
It's too soon for a "I wish I knew how to quit you" joke, right? Ok, cool. Just making sure.

Arcadian
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Does this mean that Brokeback Mountain jokes are in bad taste now?

I enjoyed his work. He was an actor I liked to see.

tora tora
01-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I saw the TDK trailer but had no idea who played the Joker, I just thought he was another unknown 3rd rate actor. I must confess I never saw any of the movies he starred in. It's a shame he's dead, whoever he is. I doubt he can top Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker, it should be interesting to watch. :)

rexnom
01-24-2008, 07:53 AM
There's no doubt that Ledger was A-list. The kind of guy you'd see a movie for. Also, increasingly, he was becoming very devoted to his roles and did an excellent job, moving away from earlier roles such as A Knight's Tale and The Patriot.

SoupIsGood
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
The Westboro asshats plan on protesting his funeral.

I wish we could just jail everyone in that stupid organization, or something.

idioteque
01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
The Westboro asshats plan on protesting his funeral.

I wish we could just jail everyone in that stupid organization, or something.

I hate those ****ing people, and so does the rest of America.

I don't think anyone would really object if the government hired some operatives to destroy that organization (kind of like that the Israelis did in Munich) and dismantled them piece by piece, without really acknowledging it.

I know that's pushing the envelope with the constitution and the power of the government and everything, but **** it, I am tired of these people.

Gyron
01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't already taken them out. Seriously. How many people would complain if they didnt show up for their stupid protests.....

SoupIsGood
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't already taken them out. Seriously.

It's gotta be coming to them. They're going to tick off the wrong person/family, eventually.

Hicks
01-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Those people were despicable before, and they're still despicable today.

Erik
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan/popup.html?v=627648639&pl=626801035.xml&launchpoint=Cover&cid=fancover&attr=default_headline&config=/config/common/fan/default.xml Jack Nicholson on Heath Ledger's death, "I warned him." Well, isn't that comment interesting:hmm:

Hicks
01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
If that's true, Nicholson's being an *******.

Erik
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM

Yeah, we may not know the reason he said it. But, I can't think of a situation where you would make that comment about someone's death, unless you're being an *******. Sure the thought may cross your mind, but you don't have to say it. Unless, of course, you're an *******.

Isaac
01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I know I'm one of few straight men that has seen it, but Brokeback Mountain is one of the most powerful, thought provoking movies I have ever seen. His performance in that film is one of the greatest of all time if not the greatest. He will always live on through continuing to touch people with that performance.

Erik
01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I know I'm one of few straight men that has seen it, but Brokeback Mountain is one of the most powerful, thought provoking movies I have ever seen. His performance in that film is one of the greatest of all time if not the greatest. He will always live on through continuing to touch people with that performance.I saw it, I don't totally agree about it being excellent, but it was very good.

Gyron
01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I wonder if he was commenting on the role of the Joker.

Hicks
01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I wonder if he was commenting on the role of the Joker.

He was. I read previously (but without a direct quote/source) he'd 'put a curse' on Heath for getting the role he wanted (Jack was offended that he wasn't asked to play the Joker a second time). Don't know if that's true, but something must be up for him to say the other quote.

Los Angeles
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Jack Nicholson curse?

I find this story a bit more credible.

Jack Nicholson warns people about using sleeping pills, and while he said he was 'furious' about not getting the role, he was laughing when he said it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325208,00.html

Bball
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
LA beat me to the punch...

While Jack's comment didn't bother me like it did some of you, I wonder if this maybe puts it into a different context than where it was at as a stand alone comment:

Fellow actor Jack Nicholson has said he knew from his own experience that one of the drugs, a sleeping pill named Ambien - marketed in Britain as Zolpidem - was dangerous.

"I warn people about Ambien," he said in London during a promotional visit for his latest film.

"I don't take sleeping pills but somebody said, 'Take this, it's mild'.

"I got a call in the middle of the night, kind of an emergency, and I almost drove off a cliff 50 yards from my house up in the mountains in Aspen. So it's something to warn people about."

Besides the above nugget, the gist of this article is talking about how one of the Olsen twins (Mary-Kate IIRC) was called BEFORE 911...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=510063&in_page_id=1773

Hicks
01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Well that's good. If it had been the other story.... damn.

Los Angeles
01-24-2008, 08:12 PM
By the way, this in no way excuses Nicholson from suggesting that the death was Ledger's fault before all the facts were in. That is a dick move, and very insensitive to the family. But then Nicholson has never been a very classy guy.

EDIT: Since when were booty calls 'emergencies'?

Shade
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Nicholson's always been an *******.

A lot of people say that Nicholson isn't really a great actor, that he just acts on screen pretty much the same way he does in real life.

Plus, he's a Lakers fan. That should tell you all you need to know about the guy. ;)

Bball
01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
EDIT: Since when were booty calls 'emergencies'?

Are you referring to my line about M-K Olsen being phoned before 911? The masseuse found Heath unresponsive and she called Mary Kate before calling 911...

Or did I just miss something in this thread?

-Bball

Gyron
01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
He was referring to the call Nicholson was referrign to in his story about getting up and almost driving off a cliff...

JayRedd
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
A lot of people say that Nicholson isn't really a great actor

A lot of people are idiots.

avoidingtheclowns
01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
A lot of people are idiots.

though understandable if you've seen

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0790731452.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

James Bond
01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Don't know if anyone said it yet and I don't feel like reading everything but honestly i think the cause of death was just a large fall off of brokeback mountain.

Anthem
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think anyone would really object if the government hired some operatives to destroy that organization (kind of like that the Israelis did in Munich) and dismantled them piece by piece, without really acknowledging it.
It's actually all one family. IIRC, there's only like 40 people in the "church" and the head guy is everybody's grandfather. Half of the men are lawyers.

It's a really weird group of people.

JayRedd
01-27-2008, 01:28 PM
though understandable if you've seen

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0790731452.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not so much if you've seen:

http://supak.com/images/posters/One_Flew_Over_The_Cuckoos_Nest.jpg http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/allposters/94/1800116994p.jpg http://www.jdmfilmreviews.com/images/chinatown-dvd1.jpg

Hoop
01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't understand why the New York police are not going to at least question MaryKate Olsen. The maid or whomever called her 3 or 4 times BEFORE she called 911 when she found him.

You would think that would be common procedure since no real cause of death has been determined.

tora tora
01-29-2008, 12:00 AM
I know I'm one of few straight men that has seen it, but Brokeback Mountain is one of the most powerful, thought provoking movies I have ever seen. His performance in that film is one of the greatest of all time if not the greatest. He will always live on through continuing to touch people with that performance.
Is this why the media continues to trip over themselves with shock over his death, because he portrayed some homosexual in a positive manner? Probably...