PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein's ESPN Power Rankings

JayRedd
01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
We're the MJ of this list!

And by that I mean #23.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD>http://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/sml/trans/ind.gif</TD><TD align=middle>23 (21)</TD><TD>Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind)</TD><TD align=middle>18-23</TD><TD>Harrison is suspended. Tinsley is either suspended or deactivated. And O'Neal is sidelined again by a bum knee, perhaps for the rest of the season. In other words, it's never Naptown when the Pacers are involved.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

idioteque
01-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Behind the 76ers and the Bulls? Didn't we beat both of these teams recently?

Oh, well, they're just Stein's rankings. We'll see how right he really is in regards to the Bulls after tonight's game.

jeffg-body
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
You guys are talking about Stein? Enough said there.

CableKC
01-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Behind the 76ers and the Bulls? Didn't we beat both of these teams recently?

Oh, well, they're just Stein's rankings. We'll see how right he really is in regards to the Bulls after tonight's game.
Yeah...but we have also lost to the TWolves, Sonics and Grizzlies. :banghead:

Putnam
01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
"Consider the source!"

JayRedd
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
All power rankings should obviously be taken with a grain of salt. But what's with the Marc Stein hate? Dude is one of the best NBA writers out there.

Oneal07
01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah...but we have also lost to the TWolves, Sonics and Grizzlies. :banghead:

Grizzlies beat the Spurs. They are a good team, they just can't finish games, If they did, they would have a WAY better record.

Sonics and T-Wolves. . is another story. But Minny did beat Golden State the other night

spreedom
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
All power rankings should obviously be taken with a grain of salt. But what's with the Marc Stein hate? Dude is one of the best NBA writers out there?

I agree... he's one of the very few ESPN guys that I take seriously at all.

Naptown_Seth
01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
n other words, it's never Naptown when the Pacers are involved.Listen buddy, Naptown and Pacers go hand in hand, like peanut butter and potatoes, like jello and oatmeal...in other words it's ALWAYS Naptown when the Pacers are involved.

"Are those the real thin pancakes? I love those."

I agree, Stien isn't talking out of his rear here. I could be wrong but I assume the Pacers weren't favored to win the Sixers game. The fact that it was a bit of a surprise says something to me.

Regardless, forget Stien and just look at losses. That still leaves Indy as 20th, not a lot better, and now they are facing playing without JO and with a Tins situation apparently brewing. If this was NJ with Kidd being benched and Carter going out for the year would you expect them to be rated the same as their loss ranking?

The Pacers might rip off a set of wins, get back to .500 and surprise some people. Key word - surprise. And I'm sure at that point Stien will give them credit for those results and bump them up the list.

Pacers4Life
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
ok seth, the first time i let it go as a typo. the second time i was annoyed, but the third time sends me over the edge. it's STEIN.

Since86
01-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Listen buddy, Naptown and Pacers go hand in hand, like peanut butter and potatoes, like jello and oatmeal...in other words it's ALWAYS Naptown when the Pacers are involved.

"Are those the real thin pancakes? I love those."

I agree, Stien isn't talking out of his rear here. I could be wrong but I assume the Pacers weren't favored to win the Sixers game. The fact that it was a bit of a surprise says something to me.

Regardless, forget Stien and just look at losses. That still leaves Indy as 20th, not a lot better, and now they are facing playing without JO and with a Tins situation apparently brewing. If this was NJ with Kidd being benched and Carter going out for the year would you expect them to be rated the same as their loss ranking?

The Pacers might rip off a set of wins, get back to .500 and surprise some people. Key word - surprise. And I'm sure at that point Stien will give them credit for those results and bump them up the list.

Ummm, so you place a team that has a better record behind another team that they just beat on the road because they would surprise people if they went on a winning streak?

The Ps just beat the 76ers in Philly, the Ps have a better record, and they're still behind them in the rankings? K

You brought up NJ so I'll say this, they just lost to NY for the THIRD time this season, without Kidd being benched or Carter going out for the year.

By looking at the Pacer's schedule it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they're big problem with the western road trips were in the first half of the season, the part of the season that's already been taken care of, so obviously you would expect them to have a better second half of the season seeing how they're playing an easier schedule from here on out.

Putnam
01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
All power rankings should obviously be taken with a grain of salt. But what's with the Marc Stein hate? Dude is one of the best NBA writers out there.

No hate here. I just wanted to quote Coach O'Brien.

Far as I'm concerned Power Rankings are amusing, and ought never to be argued about. It's what the guy thinks. He's allowed to think that. Next week he'll think something else.

Naptown_Seth
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
ok seth, the first time i let it go as a typo. the second time i was annoyed, but the third time sends me over the edge. it's STEIN.
Not where I'm from.
Hey, at least I didn't leave in one of my "coach's/coaches" or "giving/given" errors. I before E abuses I'm okay with screwing up. :)
And the correct response is :arrgh: I think

S86 - I think you missed my point. Yes they beat the Sixers, but at the same time they have real issues brewing and prior to that weren't exactly looking good.

If the team was up and down with JO having some good nights and Tins playing great, why should anyone expect better now? West coast trips? As if Indy is the only team that gets those done in the first half of the season.

Philly has a 3 game West trip left, GS/LAC/PHX. They've been to Dallas, they've been to SA, they've even been to Detroit and Boston once. They'd just won IN Houston and beaten Toronto. That's 2 teams over .500. The Pacers have ONE win vs a +.500 team in the last 15 games, the win over GS in Indy.

Philly just saw a SIX game West trip, longer than what the Pacers had. Then they had a 2 of 3 at home with the road game vs Toronto. Oh, and then they got another 3 game road trip vs the cake lineup of SA/HOU/BOS.

I'm not a Sixers fan at all, I'm just saying that there are other POV besides Indy-only. The Pacers aren't the only team with tough schedule stretches or injuries. While we are saying "just wait" other teams are too.

Naptown_Seth
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
BTW, looking at Hollinger's playoff odds I noticed a pretty favorable view from him on the rest of the season for Indy.

Indy is one of 14 teams he has playing better ball the rest of the way out. His odds right now have Indy with the 5th best improvement from here on out, going from .442 at this point to a .513 finish. The teams in front of them for most improvement - Minny, Memphis, Toronto and Utah.

The Pacers are the ONLY sub-500 team his odds predict to go above .500 from here on out. In fact only 6 teams expected to improve will do so with winning records by his odds (TOR, UTH, HOU, LAC, ORL, IND).

He has Chicago and Philly as improving teams too, but both still staying below .500 the rest of the way (PHI, .410 - CHI, .439).

As you may know this is his attempt to factor in the remaining schedule based on the results up to this point. So you could be 0-10 vs a bunch of elite teams you never face the rest of the way, thus you'd be expected to win more from here on out.

It implies that statistically the Pacers have a very positive schedule situation the rest of the way, if they can continue to win the types of games they've been winning. This is POST Bulls game. So Hollinger thinks StEIn will be adjusting his power rankings it appears.