PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy is Staying.

FlavaDave
01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Just announced at the press conference.

Rok Hollywood
01-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Great news! Just got home from a long day and didn't get to see this on the news. Really glad he's staying. I think they have another great shot next season. But the window isn't getting anymore open. So they need to hit it hard while they have the first class talent.

jeffg-body
01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
There is a God!

idioteque
01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Dungy wants to retire with a reputation of being a coach able to win in the playoffs. If we are able to win the SB next year I am sure that all of his misgivings in the playoffs will be forgotten, and hell if you win 3 SBs in 7 or whatever years, rightfully so.

Anything less than a Superbowl for Dungy next year is a failure. He wouldn't come back just to make it to the AFC Championship or even worse, just to get a first round bye.

I think that in order to keep up with a team that is so unconventionally good, like the Patriots, our front office needs to do some unconventional things. Like possibly signing a big player like Deangelo Hall or Chad Johnson, and possibly addressing pass rush issues through free agency. The way our system works is very sustainable and hell it's pretty effective, but the New England Patriots are by far the best team in the history of the NFL this year and probably will be next year, so we have to do something out of the ordinary to catch up.

FlavaDave
01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts load up on players like the Patriots did.

Moses
01-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts load up on players like the Patriots did.
If it was that easy, every team would do what the Patriots did. The Patriots had much more cap space then the Colts currently do. You don't want to go crazy signing people or you will end up like the Redskins are right now.

FlavaDave
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
If it was that easy, every team would do what the Patriots did.

Only a few elite teams could duplicate the Pat's biggest move: Signing Randy Moss for peanuts & a fourth rounder. I'm thinking of a couple veteran "ring chasing/redemption" acquisitions, with a trade or two to boot. I don't know about the signings because I'm unfamiliar with the upcoming free agents (and I don't know who is going to get cut), but a trade for, say, DeAngelo Hall isn't out of the question. There are moves we can make.

Moses
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Only a few elite teams could duplicate the Pat's biggest move: Signing Randy Moss for peanuts & a fourth rounder. I'm thinking of a couple veteran "ring chasing/redemption" acquisitions, with a trade or two to boot. I don't know about the signings because I'm unfamiliar with the upcoming free agents (and I don't know who is going to get cut), but a trade for, say, DeAngelo Hall isn't out of the question. There are moves we can make.
I watch a lot of Falcons games seeing as how I live in Atlanta..and I can tell you that DeAngelo Hall is very overrated. I'm sure he'd play well for the Colts because they are great at utilizing speed players, but he doesn't deserve a big contract. I remember watching Steve Smith light him up for over 100 yards earlier this year + an additional 66 yards by himself in penalties. The only reason people think hes good is because he talks so much and hypes himself up in big matchups..and for some reason, even after getting abused tons of times, people still think the guy is a shut down corner.

Trader Joe
01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I watch a lot of Falcons games seeing as how I live in Atlanta..and I can tell you that DeAngelo Hall is very overrated. I'm sure he'd play well for the Colts because they are great at utilizing speed players, but he doesn't deserve a big contract. I remember watching Steve Smith light him up for over 100 yards earlier this year + an additional 66 yards by himself in penalties. The only reason people think hes good is because he talks so much and hypes himself up in big matchups..and for some reason, even after getting abused tons of times, people still think the guy is a shut down corner.

I'd rather try to get Trufant to be our number 1 corner.

FlavaDave
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Well, he was just an example off the top of my head. But you get my drift.