PDA

View Full Version : What Ron did was DIRTY

Shade
06-01-2004, 11:00 PM
He'll obviously never learn.

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 11:01 PM
CHILL. It wasn't even that bad. Rip is a pussy actor, that's all.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 11:04 PM
It wasn't a good decision by Ron obviously - but Rip pulled a nice Reggie Miller on us! It was a nice acting job because he basically ran into Ron's elbow...but still I'm not condoning what Ron did...he has to strike back where it counts - the scoreboard.

Stryder
06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Wasn't dirty, but very, VERY ill-advised....stupid, idiotic, childish, but not dirty

Rip basically ran into his forearm...and sold it very well...

BigMac
06-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Didn't any of you see Rip nail Ron in the nuts just before that happened. I don't condone anything that people could get seriously hurt doing but as much crap as they were doing to us I wish they would have done more.

But Ron did do some stupid things in the game, I just don't think that was that stupid. That's my opinion.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 11:18 PM
It would take super strength to just let a guy who just hit you in the gut and comes charging at you again once you stand up continue uncontested...

No blame for Artest on that one

It was a stupid 3 pt shot though...

Snickers
06-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Yep, I saw that. It was also curious that Ron was looking straight at the ref when the elbow happened. I don't think even Ron would pull a cheap shot while staring directly at the ref.

I was thinking just now, even if we had won, we would probably have lost game 7, since Ron woulda been suspended. The league salivates at the thought of Ron hitting somebody. :(

SycamoreKen
06-01-2004, 11:32 PM
I's interesting that the same ref couldn't see Rip's cheap shot but had no trouble seeing Ron's. Heck Rip didn't get hit as hard a JO did on a shot a couple of minutes later and there wasn't even a foul called.

All that being said, as a team, other than JO, that had to be the dumbest 3:30 of basketball I have ever seen. Between Johnson, Reggie, and Artest, I on't know who was the dumbest. Those were some very bad shots.

Hoop
06-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Yep, I saw that. It was also curious that Ron was looking straight at the ref when the elbow happened. I don't think even Ron would pull a cheap shot while staring directly at the ref.

I was thinking just now, even if we had won, we would probably have lost game 7, since Ron woulda been suspended. The league salivates at the thought of Ron hitting somebody. :(

Exactly, Ron was looking at the ref the entire time. He was mad he didn't get a call for the backwards butt ***** Rip gave him. He did not lunge at Rip, Rip came to him and hit the floor like he was shot. :mad:

I don't think Ron would have been suspended if we had a game 7, it was just called a flagrant 1.

brichard
06-01-2004, 11:35 PM
It was a dirty play, but not as bad as it would appear. I know when I get hit in the nuts, all logic goes out the window, and that is exactly what happened. The fact that the fouler was Ron Artest and the foulee was a skinny guy with a mask made it a little more dramatic. Ron didn't slug him, he just provided an arm to run into. It was dirty though... no doubt.

arenn
06-01-2004, 11:35 PM
The one truly dirty play this series was Chauncy Billups grabbing an injuried Tinsley's leg earlier on. That Ron foul was dumb, but he didn't exactly pop Rip and the fact that he was nailed in the nuts somewhat justifies it in my opinion. In fact, I'm sure the refs saw that Rip hit Ron below the belt and specifically blew the whistle for a flagrant on account of that. They knew it was retaliation.

Unclebuck
06-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Ron did not even extend the elbow. He certainly raised his elbow, but if he did extend the elbow he would have been thrown out

Shade
06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Didn't see the nut/gut punch. Is that true?

Yeah, I know Rip ran into himand flopped, but it was still obviously intentional that Ron threw that forearm up there.

Hicks
06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
It was dumb, but nothing off the charts. I was most upset with the RESULTS of that act, but the thing Ron literally DID that made the most upset was that 30 foot 3 pointer.

Stryder
06-02-2004, 12:13 AM
It was a dirty play, but not as bad as it would appear. I know when I get hit in the nuts, all logic goes out the window, and that is exactly what happened. The fact that the fouler was Ron Artest and the foulee was a skinny guy with a mask made it a little more dramatic. Ron didn't slug him, he just provided an arm to run into. It was dirty though... no doubt.

Explain how it was dirty.

waterjater
06-02-2004, 12:24 AM
RIP rammed into Artest's groin first and IT SHOULD"VE been an offensive foul!

BUT ARTEST SHOULD"VE Just bodied up on him and told him to go F himself and dealt with it later.

What I don't understand is why we get hammered with no call!! I think I'd deck someone if I continually got hacked with nothing called!!

Shade
06-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Upon re-seeing it, I change my mind. I didn't see Rip's punch beforehand, and Ron didn't extend his forearm out.

unstandable
06-02-2004, 12:27 AM
What punch? It was a butt-bump.

brichard
06-02-2004, 12:29 AM

From what I read, Rip was bleeding from the play. But whether or not he was bleeding is irrelevant. Ron Artest made an obvious attempt to injure Rip in retaliation for something he did. His eyes lit up when his bells got jingled, and he looked right at the ref while he stuck up his arm and provided a place for Rip to run. It had nothing to do with the game of basketball. He wasn't trying to stop him from shooting, he wanted to inflict pain. It just looks more cowardly to do it to such a small dude with a mask on to boot.

I agree that it wasn't as bad as others may make it, but I think it was pretty obvious to be a dirty play. One certainly wouldn't use it as an example for a clean basketball play.

Unclebuck
06-02-2004, 12:30 AM
I'll tell you one thing, what Ron did goes on in every game underneath the basket, players get hit with elbows all the time, this was out on the wing with the floor cleared.

I think the correct call should have been a technical on Ron, not a flagrant.

And no way did he extend the elbow. Rip ran into his elbow

waterjater
06-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Rip didn't punch Ron Ron in the nuts. He was posting him up and bumped him with his butt. Totally clean, legit play. Ron Ron lost his mind and guided his elbow to the face of a guy protecting a recently healed broken nose. Of course it was dirty. And beyond that, it was galactically stupid. It cost your team the game, along with some bad shot selection down the stretch.

Bad shot selection? We go into our best player, Oneal and he gets hammered going to the rack. We get a fast break and AJ gets hammered going to the whole :rolleyes: Problem is, we need to learn that you have to go stronger and stuff their hands through the rim or pull a Karl Malone and go up with Knee or Foot extended to keep the defender away.

Wide open shots, not dropping...the problem the whole series. Artests dumbass flagrant didn't lose the game, it just added to the misery of it.

Water

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:21 AM
It was no worse than what Karl Malone did , and I think it wasn't that Bad ..Get off Ron's Backside.

I think people are analyzing it way too much , rip put alittle hollywood on it too.

Hoop
06-02-2004, 02:08 AM
and go up with Knee or Foot extended to keep the defender away.

Between Ron and Reggie, I think that you guys already have a pretty good idea how that is done.

Troll :arrgh:

sc
06-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Defneding the indefensible, how times change when it is not Chauncey tripping Tinsley.

Fool
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
From what I read, Rip was bleeding from the play. But whether or not he was bleeding is irrelevant. Ron Artest made an obvious attempt to injure Rip in retaliation for something he did. His eyes lit up when his bells got jingled, and he looked right at the ref while he stuck up his arm and provided a place for Rip to run. It had nothing to do with the game of basketball. He wasn't trying to stop him from shooting, he wanted to inflict pain. It just looks more cowardly to do it to such a small dude with a mask on to boot.

I agree that it wasn't as bad as others may make it, but I think it was pretty obvious to be a dirty play. One certainly wouldn't use it as an example for a clean basketball play.

I agree with brichard. Its amazing how quick people are to call the opponent a dirty player then defend their own player against the world. I do think both players played up the pain though (something that I believe happens too much!)

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I wish people would let threads like this die there must be 10 threads on this any Fool you posted almost the same thing in another thread ..why bump this one when you have said almost word for word the same thing as your last ron artest bashing ??????????

Stryder
06-02-2004, 11:26 AM

I don't think there was any blood.

Actually, if Artest wanted to injure Rip he would've punched him. He did not do that. He didn't even swing his elbow out or make a forward motion with his arm. He simply held out his forearm and let Rip run straight into it.

He provided a place for Rip to run into his arm? Hell yeah. He's supposed to do that.

I wish people would stop saying that he swung a forearm or an elbow. He did not.

Fool
06-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Sauce, this thread was up at the top when I posted to it and I don't recall ever posting that I agreed with Brichard before or that I thought the players act too much.

LAPacer
06-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Actually, if Artest wanted to injure Rip he would've punched him.

If Artest wanted to injure Rip, Rip would've have died .

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 11:34 AM
I think it was more of a knee jerk reaction like he thought rip was gonna clobber him , Ron said he did not do it on purpose , but of course no one would believe rons telling the truth right :confused:

Arcadian
06-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Your forearm is not supposed to be level with the other player's face.

The NBA has made it clear that a head shot, which is where the contact happened, is a flagrant.

Also Ron hit a player where he was hurt before. I am not saying that is why Ron hit him there but it did make it look even worse.

It was a dirty play. It had nothing to do with basketball, was obviously a retaliation and was on purpose.

Stryder
06-02-2004, 11:56 AM

The NBA has made it clear that a head shot, which is where the contact happened, is a flagrant.

Also Ron hit a player where he was hurt before. I am not saying that is why Ron hit him there but it did make it look even worse.

It was a dirty play. It had nothing to do with basketball, was obviously a retaliation and was on purpose.

Your forearm can't be level with another player's face? That line is a bunch of bunk.

I still say that Rip ran into his arm, more than Artest delivered a blow with his arm to Hamilton.

FireTheCoach
06-02-2004, 12:04 PM
It was definitely a retaliation shot to the head by Artest.... not as big a deal as some would make it out to be though.... It just so happens that it came at the most inopportune time. He should have put Hamilton down like that no later than game 2 of the series IMHO.

Stryder
06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
It was definitely a retaliation shot to the head by Artest.... not as big a deal as some would make it out to be though.... It just so happens that it came at the most inopportune time. He should have put Hamilton down like that no later than game 2 of the series IMHO.

I concur. He should've hit him sooner. Would've rattled Rip.

Hicks
06-02-2004, 12:31 PM
While I admit part of me was glad to see Rip finally get knocked on his ***, I have to call it a dirty play.

I feel tripping someone is dirty, because clearly the only reason to do it is to make that person fall down. I've watched the replays of Ron's hit, and the only reason for him to hold his arm up that high is to catch Rip in the face, so it is dirty too.

Arcadian
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM

Your forearm can't be level with another player's face? That line is a bunch of bunk.

I still say that Rip ran into his arm, more than Artest delivered a blow with his arm to Hamilton.

I should have said your forearm shouldn't be level with another player's face. There is no basketball related reason for doing that. It won't hold defensive position and has no effect in forcing the player one way or the other. You are only opening yourself up for a foul call.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 12:41 PM
From Artest:

"Rip elbowed me in the stomach and I retaliated," Artest said. "I just put my forearm up. I protected myself and caught him in the face by accident.

"Mine was an accident. His was on purpose."

Take that for what you will , but I believe ron and I think Rick would have to believe Ron

unstandable
06-02-2004, 12:50 PM
From Artest:

"Rip elbowed me in the stomach and I retaliated," Artest said. "I just put my forearm up. I protected myself and caught him in the face by accident.

Take that for what you will , but I believe ron and I think Rick would have to believe Ron

How can you retaliate by accident? If it was retaliation, it was on purpose.

Hicks
06-02-2004, 12:54 PM
From Artest:

Yeah, how anyone doesn't get that is beyond me.

Snickers
06-02-2004, 12:55 PM
From Artest:

retaliate: To return like for like, especially evil for evil.
v. tr.
To pay back (an injury) in kind.

If he retaliated, he had to be intending to hurt Rip. [though the definition says nothing about it being done consciously, I think it's understood that retaliations are conscious efforts]

I suppose he meant he reacted? :whoknows:

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Maybe I am Dumb but ron was saying his was a accident and Rips was on purpose ...or maybe you guys just lost me with your comments

LAPacer
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
From Artest:

retaliate: To return like for like, especially evil for evil.
v. tr.
To pay back (an injury) in kind.

If he retaliated, he had to be intending to hurt Rip. [though the definition says nothing about it being done consciously, I think it's understood that retaliations are conscious efforts]

I suppose he meant he reacted? :whoknows:

Come on guys. Artest is a math major, not an English major.

Hicks
06-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Err, I don't think you need a degree in English to know the difference between "react" and "retaliate".

Bball
06-02-2004, 03:04 PM
From Artest:

Kinda like JO not being injured.... just hurt.... :confused:

-Bball

Snickers
06-02-2004, 03:41 PM
A math major, not an English major.... haha!! :laugh:

I think what Ron means to say is what Sauce got out of his comments, it was an accidental hit and Rip's was intentional. Whether or not that's true is up for debate.

Now, if he'd lifted his arm a tiny bit higher, I would have assumed he was going for the not-wearing-deodorant-knockout move. :D