PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Colts to have press conference at 4:30 PM concerning coach Tony Dungy's future with team.

Lord Helmet
01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Just reported by Kevin Lee on the Pacers Radio Network. So I don't have a link.

Nothing has been reported regarding the decision, but apparently last night Colts owner Jim Irsay told ESPN reporters that he felt that coach Dungy was leaning toward coming back.

obnoxiousmodesty
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm sure this will be broadcast on all of the local Indy stations, as well as ESPNews.

It'll be interesting to see his decision.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080121/SPORTS03/801210417

Colts plan Dungy announcement this afternoon
<!--PRINTER FRIENDLY ARTICLE--> By Mike Chappell
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mike.chappell'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/+)'); //--> </script>mike.chappell@indystar.com
January 21, 2008

The on-field leadership of the Indianapolis Colts will be announced today at 4:30 at the team's West 56th Street complex.

At issue is whether Tony Dungy will return for a seventh season as head coach. Expected to be on hand at the press conference are Dungy, team owner Jim Irsay, team president Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell, a top assistant who will replace Dungy when he retires.

Starting this morning, nearly three dozen media members spent several hours in the Colts' press room waiting on the news. Dungy arrived at the complex early this morning but has not been available for comment.

Irsay confirmed on Sunday that he has signed Caldwell to a multi-year contract that will take into account Caldwell replacing Dungy immediately, or after the 2008 season should Dungy walk away then. It's believed Caldwell's contract will pay him approximately $2.5 million annually.

Lord Helmet
01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sure this will be broadcast on all of the local Indy stations, as well as ESPNews.

It'll be interesting to see his decision.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080121/SPORTS03/801210417
Good to know Caldwell is under contract for a while.

aero
01-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I really hope Dungy will come back for one more year

obnoxiousmodesty
01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
WRTV is reporting Dungy will be back for at least one more year.

MagicRat
01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Coming back, business as usual, not any sort of one year victory lap tour, but will be revisited each year, according to Jim Irsay.....

Isaac
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I was kind of excited about seeing Caldwell roam the sidelines to see what we would do with him, but its hard not to be happy about Tony coming back for one more shot at it.

Shade
01-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm honestly surprised he decided to return. Hopefully he can bring us another title before he hangs it up.

grace
01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
The dude on 1260 kept saying that Dungy was leaving because the Colts wouldn't hold a press conference to say nothing was changing. I'd have like to have listened to the jerk eat crow.

As for Tony staying I'm not surprised. After we lost he said he wanted to come back.

Bball
01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I was hoping for a change... It was the right time for both sides. If we have another playoff flameout next season, the whispers about motivation, preparation, and game management are going to get nasty. Mix in a heaping helping of "Did Tony really want to be here?" and I just don't like the cake we're baking...

And I think history shows the odds of a playoff flameout are higher than a Superbowl.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I was hoping for a change... It was the right time for both sides. If we have another playoff flameout next season, the whispers about motivation, preparation, and game management are going to get nasty. Mix in a heaping helping of "Did Tony really want to be here?" and I just don't like the cake we're baking...

And I think history shows the odds of a playoff flameout are higher than a Superbowl.

-Bball

OR, maybe next year we have some better luck w/ injuries and we make a strong showing in the playoffs.

I can't believe how many people are dogging Tony after the season he just gave us. Our team was nearly dominant for most of the season, despite getting hit harder by injuries than we ever have been before. There are few teams that would have even survived the hits the Colts took, nevermind go 13-3 (and that's with tanking the last game).

Our team was just dead by the time the playoffs rolled around. No Freeney, Mathis still hurting, Brock likely hurting, Marvin not 100%, our O-line in constant flux throughout the season, Addai banged up, etc. etc.

I think Tony did pretty damned well this season. Most other teams would have crumbled w/ the hand we were dealt. I mean just look at how many guys with very little to no experience that we had playing all season--even our backups' backups usually came in the game prepared to play!

Dungy is a hell of a coach. It's kind of sickening to see and hear so many criticizing him ONE YEAR AFTER winning a SB. Yeesh.

DisplacedKnick
01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
As I said before, I'm on the fence with this. Dungy is an excellent coach overall but I'm not sold on his playoff performances, even with a SB win. Most recently, not changing the defense in the 2nd half of a game to put pressure on a QB who's shown himself susceptible to pressure, or his backup, was IMO a huge mistake.

But we'll see - I do think Jacksonville will present a big challenge next year to keep the run of division titles going. But then they presented a pretty big challenge this year.

But whatever I think of him as a coach, he's a fantastic person who you can be proud to call the leader of your team. That counts for a lot too.

Bball
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
As I said before, I'm on the fence with this. Dungy is an excellent coach overall but I'm not sold on his playoff performances, even with a SB win. Most recently, not changing the defense in the 2nd half of a game to put pressure on a QB who's shown himself susceptible to pressure, or his backup, was IMO a huge mistake.

But we'll see - I do think Jacksonville will present a big challenge next year to keep the run of division titles going. But then they presented a pretty big challenge this year.

But whatever I think of him as a coach, he's a fantastic person who you can be proud to call the leader of your team. That counts for a lot too.

Maybe I should root for Jacksonville to the point that they take the bye away from us (altho have it go to the wire) so the Colts won't have any choice but to play out the string and hopefully the situation itself will be sufficient motivation to make another SB run.

I hear ya, DK. Your comments mirror my thoughts exactly. I only take it further in that I thought this was a perfect time for the two to part ways on top. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Dungy has used his 'pass' on this season (thanks to last season's SB win) because next season will not allow another Indy flameout in the playoffs to go unquestioned.

This season showed which of the two scenarios (SB vs playoff flameout) is most likely under Dungy. Nothing has really changed.

Of course, if anyone wants to argue there's more to it than playoff success and having a coach of such high caliber as a person who's shown he can coach a winning regular season team is more than enough, then you'll get no arguments from me on that.

But for those that say it's about SB's not regular season success, I don't think you should be arguing for Dungy at this point.

-Bball

Sollozzo
01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
It's hard on one hand to criticize Dungy. He has been such a fantastic ambassador for the city. I don't think we can ever thank him enough for that.

It's hard to say it, but the Colts have probably underachieved for the past 5 seasons. This team has regular season success that is basically unparalleled in the history of the NFL. They have had hall of famers and all pros.

It's hard to say that one superbowl is underachieving without sounding spoiled as a fan. But this is such an astounding group of players. I feel that almost any coach would have been able to win atleast one superbowl with the talent that has been here over the past 5 seasons. But of course, Dungy is a large architect (with Polian of course) to the talent that was built here. Few coaches would have been able to build that. And that is the beauty of Tony Dungy.

Let's assume the Pats win the Superbowl. That gives them 4 in 7 years and 3 since 2003, which is the year I define as the start of the Colts golden era. Are the Pats *that* much better than the Colts to where they should have 3 championships since 03 to our 1? I don't really think so. But the Pats have Belichick, who is a better in game coach than Dungy is. A coach who never takes a game off.

I couldn't imagine the Patriots ever choking away one let alone TWO bye week home games. Just wouldn't happen. They protect their field. Yet 2 of the Colts 5 dominant years are tarnished by losing a bye game at home. We've spent 40% of the team's dominant run watching them in a season that would end in them losing at home during the bye week.

We may hate the Pats. We may hate Belichick. But I don't think anyone could argue that the Pats would never allow themselves to be beat in the bye week at home 2 out of 3 years. Of course Belichick and Brady have never lost a playoff game at home.

We all want something more before the window shuts, whenever that may be. We don't want to be a Baltimore or a Tampa. This collection of players is far better than what those teams had when they won. We have unparalleled regular season success over a 5 year span. These Manning era teams are great enough to where they should finish with multiple superbowls.

I think we'll get another one. Hopefully it's next season.

Young
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
It's hard on one hand to criticize Dungy. He has been such a fantastic ambassador for the city. I don't think we can ever thank him enough for that.

It's hard to say it, but the Colts have probably underachieved for the past 5 seasons. This team has regular season success that is basically unparalleled in the history of the NFL. They have had hall of famers and all pros.

It's hard to say that one superbowl is underachieving without sounding spoiled as a fan. But this is such an astounding group of players. I feel that almost any coach would have been able to win atleast one superbowl with the talent that has been here over the past 5 seasons. But of course, Dungy is a large architect (with Polian of course) to the talent that was built here. And few coaches would have been able to build that. And that is the beauty of Tony Dungy.

Let's assume the Pats win the Superbowl. That gives them 4 in 7 years and 3 since 2003, which is the year I define as the start of the Colts golden era. Are the Pats *that* much better than the Colts to where they should have 3 championships since 03 to our 1? I don't really think so. But the Pats have Belichick, who is a better in game coach than Dungy is. A coach who never takes a game off.

I couldn't imagine the Patriots ever choking away one let alone TWO bye week home games. Just wouldn't happen. They protect their field. Yet 2 of the Colts 5 dominant years are tarnished by losing a bye game at home. We've spent 40% of the team's dominant run watching them in a season that would end in them losing at home during the bye week.

We may hate the Pats. We may hate Belichick. But I don't think anyone could argue that the Pats would never allow themselves to be beat in the bye week at home 2 out of 3 years. Of course Belichick and Brady have never lost a playoff game at home.

We all want something more before the window shuts, whenever that may be. We don't want to be a Baltimore or a Tampa. This collection of players is better than what those teams had when they won. We have unparalleled regular season success over a 5 year span. These Manning era teams are great enough to where they should finish with multiple superbowls.

I think we'll get another one. Hopefully it's next season.

I know what you mean.

I love what Dungy is all about. I mean if I was a player he is who I would want to play for. That is the type of person I want to work for.

Dungy has his stregnths. He has weaknesses. I can live with the weaknesses especially with a Superbowl.

As far as the NE vs Indy thing, NE has just been a better team IMO. A better playoff team.

I feel that there is one key to any team winning, or making the Superbowl and that is when do they peak? When do they play their best football?

We say in 06 we played are best football early on. But down the stretch, we didn't at all and it led right into the playoffs into a loss to the Steelers.

Then last year the Colts struggled with the run defense pretty much the whole regular season. But then they get Bob Sanders back and it made the difference. They start playing their best football in the playoffs, where it counts.

Then this year the Colts were good all year. I mean they lost to the Pats, who are better and then the Chargers. The Chargers struggled early on but they had the best record last season and as this season progressed they showed that they were still that team. They played their best football later on in the season and it's why they beat the Colts.

Now with all that said the Colts had some major injuries. Marvin, big loss. Sure he played vs San Diego but he was no help and should not have played. Not having Freeney really hurt, same goes for McFarland too IMO. So it's not like the Colts had all the key horses. But it's not just that they lost to the Chargers. They just flat out didn't play well. To me the Colts looked flat in that game.

The Cowboys were great early on led the NFC pretty much the whole year but then did not play their best at the end of the season and it carried over into the playoffs. The Giants on the other hand played a lot better later on in the regular season. I think them giving it their best and not resting their starters vs New England was a huge factor in them making the Superbowl.

I think the key is just playing your best football going into the postseason. That's all that matters. I hope that Dungy can have them doing it next year and maybe the Colts can get another Superbowl. But the Colts must be playing at their best going in to the postseason otherwise it will be another one and done IMO.