PDA

View Full Version : When will the TRADE ARTEST threads start....?

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 10:48 PM
WTF is all I got to say about ARTEST at this moment.....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MagicRat
06-01-2004, 10:49 PM
It looks like Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:48 pm.....

zxc
06-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeah. I like him, but... :unimpressed:

Maybe if we can get a real shooting guard instead of that glorified decoy Reggie Miller so Ron won't have to try to do so much on offense he can stay. But I won't shed any tears if they get rid of him.

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 10:51 PM
He won't be traded.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 10:51 PM
I still like Artest... What happened is nothing that couldn't have happened to anyone as strong as Artest...

efx
06-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Trade him. I don't give two ***** about his defensive abilities. With the lack of basketball IQ that the guy exhibits, he more than makes up for the former.

He will not learn. Dig this post up late next year. You'll see.

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 10:53 PM
You guys are over reacting.

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Well.... that flagrant, I could live with that from him. Yeah it was stupid but it was in the heat of battle, and we all know Ron.

But that running 3 point attempt with like 20 secs still on the clock just made me GO berzerk.... WTF... thats ALL I CAN SAY.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Trade him. I don't give two ***** about his defensive abilities. With the lack of basketball IQ that the guy exhibits, he more than makes up for the former.

Trust me - he will learn with experience and age.

Man - this guy is special - DO NOT TRADE ARTEST BASED ON A BAD SERIES...WOW.

Hoop
06-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Ron played a complete great season, played great in the first 2 rounds. Now you guys want to hang him for 3 or 4 bad games, pathetic.

arkman40
06-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Artest will learn from this. I would think that the HUGE strides he made this season would be enough to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can continue to make them going forward. He's an All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year. Without him, we aren't even sniffing the ECFs. With him, we can be annual contenders. Don't forget this was his first time out of the 2nd round. He'll be better for this experience.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Artest is the reason we even got to the playoffs (and didn't get humiliated)... Trading him is not an option... He has progressed Soooo much from last year!!! :dance: :dance:

MagicRat
06-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Ron did have 3 straight double doubles after only having 4 all year.

The flagrant was weak.

I can't excuse the 35 foot jumper, though.........

Stryder
06-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Did Artest actually throw his forearm? Or did Rip run straight into it? I haven't caught it on replay yet.

Who'd be dumb enough to run straight into a forearm from a 250 lb guy?

Hicks
06-01-2004, 11:02 PM
If Ron gets traded with Al for a kickass SG, I won't cry.

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 11:03 PM
man...

it aint just about this particular series..... damnnnn

he acted like a PUNK again at the most crucial of moments...

Well, my grandpa used to say,

"You can take a _______ out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of a _______ .

PaceBalls
06-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Hmm Deja vu 2003

Echoes of the past. If Ron gets traded for a no-D playing pansy gutless ballhog of a SG, I'll be very upset. Larry better not screw this club up.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Artest + Al for McGrady = BAD TRADE!!

PaceBalls
06-01-2004, 11:09 PM
argggh the tmac chants begin.

Check it, we will win 45games max next year if they trade Ron and AL for tmac.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Hmm Deja vu 2003

Echoes of the past. If Ron gets traded for a no-D playing pansy gutless ballhog of a SG, I'll be very upset. Larry better not screw this club up.

AMEN!!!! I think everyone would complain a lot more with McGrady..

indytoad
06-01-2004, 11:11 PM
It's like writerman came back from the dead and brought a few hundred clones with him.

IndyToad
Go back in time with the classics

Southside_Pacer
06-01-2004, 11:11 PM
If Ron gets traded with Al for a kickass SG, I won't cry.

You and I think a lot alike......if this shooting guard's name is McGrady......

Bball
06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Artest + Al for McGrady = BAD TRADE!!

True.... we gotta get Pollard thrown in there too :P ;)

-Bball

Southside_Pacer
06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
I think a lot of people misunderstand TMac.

Who else on the Magic team IS GOING TO SCORE POINTS?!?!

If HE doesn't score his points, who else is going to step up and help him? Who else could carry Orlando on their back and lead them to a win?

Hoop
06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Ron did have 3 straight double doubles after only having 4 all year.

The flagrant was weak.

I can't excuse the 35 foot jumper, though.........

The flagrant was real *****ing weak. He held his arm up still, no forward movement, Rip ran into it and fell down like he was shoot with a freaking gun. Ron was looking straight at the ref the entire time wondering were the foul on Rip was for the backwards butt *****.

leon
06-01-2004, 11:21 PM
If the Pacers trade Artest for TMac they better hope they never face Orlando in the playoffs. Artest will shut him down.

The Pacers will not make a knee-jerk trade because of this series. The guy is an allstar, defensive player of the year and he is 24 years old. He did a great job of curbing his temper and controlling his emotions during this season. He let it get away from him a little during his first appearance on this stage. Larry and Carlisle will make sure he learns from this.

No way you trade Ron Artest.

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 11:23 PM
man...

it aint just about this particular series..... damnnnn

he acted like a PUNK again at the most crucial of moments...

Well, my grandpa used to say,

"You can take a _______ out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of a _______ .

Its also called Rip Hamilton acting.

Lets not forget he got all heated and got a techinacal, Reggie just missed the free throw

It's also called trying to force a dunk over the top of Ben Wallace and banging it off the back iron... getting the flagrant foul that gave up the lead for the first time in the game by not just 2 but 4 points... then following up that steller sequence with a running 35' shot when there was 20+ secs still on the clock.... I'm still sitting here saying...

WTF?

arenn
06-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Given that Artest was popped in the nuts, I don't think what he did was inexcusable. We've known all year that Ron is a ball hog and takes ill advised shots. We were willing to put up with that in order to get his otherwise great play. Ron is the one guy who finds it painful to lose on this team. The rest of the guys honestly don't seem to care. The problem is that Ron often channels his energies in destructive ways. He actually improved quite a bit this season and I believe he'll only continue to improve.

I'll go back to a post that I put up the other day. I think Ron's game comes from his defense, and without an obvious matchup for him like Paul Pierce it becomes difficult for him to find himself in a game. Rip is not a natural play for him, nor is anyone else on the Pistons really. I think that frustrated Artest and made it difficult for him to get his game going.

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Let me clarify myself:

The flagrant didn't bother near as much by itself, but the things he did in the final 7 mins of that game were just bizarre.

Arcadian
06-01-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm upset at Artest right now. He deserved the flagrant. It was obviously on purpose and a cheap shot.

I've always disliked his shot selection and wasn't at all surprised by the 35 footer.

Yeah, we shouldn't give up on him but until tomorrow morning when I've had some space I won't be sad to see him go.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 11:48 PM
To be honest, I don't see the T-Mac trade following through either...maybe it's just me but I just can't picture it happening. I can't see him fitting in well with Carlisle's system either?

Hicks
06-01-2004, 11:52 PM
If the Pacers trade Artest for TMac they better hope they never face Orlando in the playoffs. Artest will shut him down.

I've watched McGrady score 43 on the road ON Artest. I wouldn't be shaking in my boots.

Hicks
06-01-2004, 11:53 PM
I can't see him fitting in well with Carlisle's system either?

Trust me, Carlisle would MAKE it work, but making changes.

Dukins
06-02-2004, 08:42 AM
T "freaking" MAC that would be awesome. Who really could stop the pacers then. TMAC can get 20-30 everynight. Also when we really need a basket we have someone who could get to the whole. Man couldnt you see Tinsley (if he is still here) throwing some alley oops to TMac. We need some excitement.

I dont know how it can work out though. We would have to give up so much of our team to get him. I would give up Artest, Harrington, Bender, and Pollard, not all of them but out of those 3.

Aw Heck
06-02-2004, 08:52 AM
true, but he is young. trust me, I wont be able to sleep tonight, I hate loses as much as the next die hard fan, but you have to gain experience. The Pistons got swept by NJ twice, and know they are the champs. We know have the experience, we jsut have to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

The team the Pacers lost to last night was not the same team that got swept by NJ twice. The Pistons were aggressive and got Rasheed Wallace. He was what gave them the final edge. Experience helped a little, but talent won out in the end.

This is why we're seeing Artest or Harrington +filler for T-Mac or Ray Allen. DW/LB has to be like Joe Dumars, go out and GET some talent. They can't stand pat, because teams around us are improving constantly.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 08:59 AM
yes but they aren't sacrificing key players , ron artest is a key player IMHO , I heard so many people say you gotta dance with who brought you and now Ron has one not so great series , when the previous series you could say he was the MVP and a big reason we won in round 2.

How many games in Round 2 did ron step up and put this team on his back when no one else was doing it ?

ChicagoJ
06-02-2004, 11:37 AM

uh he already learned this year from last year. He will continue to learn.

uh, what did he learn?

When the pressure was on, he reverted to selfish, 'thug'-style play, just like last year, just like in Chicago, just like he always has. If he learned anything it was just how to behave during the regular season when things were going his way.

His trade value will never be higher - last year he couldn't be moved because nobody was willing to touch him and he was BYC. Those issues no longer will prevent DW and Bird from shipping him out, if they feel his selfish behavior and lack of mental toughness are as much of a concern as some of the rest of us do. If the right deal comes along, he's certainly not untouchable. I doubt the Pacers will actively "shop" him, because they'd prefer to negotiate from a position of power.

As for the fourth quarter of the game, I don't care how much acting Rip did, you can't put a forearm to another player's face, period.

Here's what I think... had he been ejected, the Pacers might have still won the game for two reasons: (1) the "rally" factor, and (2) that would have eliminated all of our one-on-five play during the last four minutes.

He's the kind of player that can help you win a lot of games. I'll admit that prior to this season I didn't even think that about him. Now I believe in his talent/ abilities. But he continues to prove that he's the type of person that can help you lose the big games. :twocents:

LAPacer
06-02-2004, 11:42 AM
To Rons credit, for the passed 4 years, he has been the most consistent playoff performer for the pacers. He had a horrible series against Detroit.

FireTheCoach
06-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Lets not forget that Dale Davis just finished up an All-Star season and basically carried the Pacers to the NBA Finals when he was traded..... just some food for thought for those saying it can't happen.

FireTheCoach
06-02-2004, 11:53 AM
He's the kind of player that can help you win a lot of games. I'll admit that prior to this season I didn't even think that about him. Now I believe in his talent/ abilities. But he continues to prove that he's the type of person that can help you lose the big games. :twocents:

Now THATS a quality assessment of Ron Artest.

LAPacer
06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
To Rons credit, for the passed 4 years, he has been the most consistent playoff performer for the pacers. He had a horrible series against Detroit.

I have a hard time believing that he was our most consistent playoff performer the last 4 years when he's only been on the Pacers for 2 and a half years. :flirt:

For some reason, I thought that series against NJ was 4 years ago. oooopps :P . good catch.

Stryder
06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
No need to get rid of Artest.

The Pacers wouldn't have even been in the series if he wasn't on the team.

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 03:21 PM

No, not unless you want:

1) A team that team plays unselfishly and moves the ball well,

2) A team that plays smart in pressure situations,

3) A team that takes good shots,

4) Players who trust their teammates,

Sure, I admit, he's a heck of a defender, and that's very important, but there are plenty of negatives that go along with it. His value is very high right now. I suggest that it would be a smart time to take advantage of that high trade value. It won't last forever, and I still think he's a dormant volcano, capable of erupting at any time.

sweabs
06-02-2004, 03:24 PM

No, not unless you want:

1) A team that team plays unselfishly and moves the ball well,

2) A team that plays smart in pressure situations,

3) A team that takes good shots,

4) Players who trust their teammates,

Sure, I admit, he's a heck of a defender, and that's very important, but there are plenty of negatives that go along with it. His value is very high right now. I suggest that it would be a smart time to take advantage of that high trade value. It won't last forever, and I still think he's a dormant volcano, capable of erupting at any time.

I think that will all come with the addition of a new SG.
Trust me - you would regret trading Ron if it ever happened. The kid is amazing.

Dukins
06-02-2004, 03:25 PM
I second that Roy. He was the difference maker in the Boston and Miami series. Im sure that Freddie can do similar things as Artest. At the least Freddie has a good head on his shoulders. Im not one to deal with the uncertainty. Which means he will be back next year. :laugh:

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 03:29 PM
would anyone bet me if I said ... if we didn't hav Ron Artest this year we lose to the Heat in Round 2 ..I would bet alot of money we would have lost to the HEat without Ron , remember how he carried us on his back that series ? or did people just decide to forget the wonderful things Ron did this year ? or is this all we gotta blame someone for losing this series and Ron seems easy to blame cause he had a not so good series ??

Dukins
06-02-2004, 03:43 PM
:thankyou: Artest he did carry us through the Miami series. I think most of us are concerned about next year. I guess you can deal with the fact that the volcano could erupt any minute ruining any good thing that comes within its path. He did improve under Carlisle and through the season mainly because we were winning. But when its time for pressure watch out. Too much of a risk if you ask me.

waterjater
06-02-2004, 03:47 PM
would anyone bet me if I said ... if we didn't hav Ron Artest this year we lose to the Heat in Round 2 ..I would bet alot of money we would have lost to the HEat without Ron , remember how he carried us on his back that series ? or did people just decide to forget the wonderful things Ron did this year ? or is this all we gotta blame someone for losing this series and Ron seems easy to blame cause he had a not so good series ??

Absolutely agree with thesaucemaster. We are a 45 win ball club at best without Artest. How many big shots, big defensive plays did he make all FREAKING YEAR!! Game 1 of the season against Detroit, if my memory is still decent, Artest was HUGE and in just about every game after that! We don't beat Miami without him and we are not the #1 seed without him.

If JO and Tinsley are healthy, we are in the Finals with a shot to win it ALL and ARTEST IS A KEY COMPONENT OF THE ABILITY!!

I was terribly angry last night with the Flagrant and wanted to see him go, but that was a knee jerk reaction. With the way he played defense in the first half on RIP, we should've been up by 20 points!!! He was unselfish and played a tremendous 1st half. The team lost the game because of TWO SIGNIFICANT INJURES (TORN MUSCLES) and an inability to hit a shot!

Artest should not be traded! Carlisle said it best last night. Artest and B. Wallace the two most determined and relentless basketball players he has ever seen!

I would love to see Tmas on this team, but you need Artest and Oneal in that mix!!

Water

Dukins
06-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Artest should not be traded! Carlisle said it best last night. Artest and B. Wallace the two most determined and relentless basketball players he has ever seen!

Yes he is determined and relentlessly crazy. Dont get me wrong he has a strong drive for playing basketball, but he gets carried away sometimes which hurts the team. THere is nothing wrong with being determined its the detrimental and the unknowing what he will do is the part i have a problem with.

waterjater
06-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Folks, The reason we aren't going to the Finals is for one reason and one reason only.

JO's Torn ligament in his knee and Tinsley's torn hamstring. Artest has nothing to do with us not making it.

JO came out in game 4 on fire (Rebounding, shooting and blocking everything) until the defining moment of our season. The knee BENDING BACKWARD! Our season ended right there!

There is no way JO could've played 5-8 more games this season. He said as much in the post game press conference. We would have been patsies for the Lakers coronation with JO and Tinsley out.

IT IS A SHAME, because we had one of the best teams this year when healthy!

Just pray JO comes back with a vengence and his Knee heals sooner than 6 mths.

Water

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 03:54 PM

If you subtracted Artest from the current Pacer roster, then yes, they possibly could not beat Miami (I'm not convinced that it is a certainty though...they'd still be a very good team).

But, if you trade Artest, then presumably you are going to be replacing him with a very good player. Who knows. He might be a SMART player who SHOOTS WELL, and will actually PASS the ball once in a while.

waterjater
06-02-2004, 03:55 PM

Yes he is determined and relentlessly crazy. Dont get me wrong he has a strong drive for playing basketball, but he gets carried away sometimes which hurts the team. THere is nothing wrong with being determined its the detrimental and the unknowing what he will do is the part i have a problem with.

Look how far he's come this year vs. last year. That was a tremendous improvement. If he does half this much better next year, it will be Huge. One mistake and lets throw in the towel..... :rolleyes:

Water

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM

If you subtracted Artest from the current Pacer roster, then yes, they possibly could not beat Miami (I'm not convinced that it is a certainty though...they'd still be a very good team).

But, if you trade Artest, then presumably you are going to be replacing him with a very good player. Who knows. He might be a SMART player who SHOOTS WELL, and will actually PASS the ball once in a while.

Your Judging him on one Poor Series , was Ron like that all season if he was I must have missed it. I sometimes wonder , what if artest would have never shot all series and not ben active would you all have cried he wasn't active enough ? Kinda like Damned if you do Damned if you don't :unimpressed:

Mourning
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
It's like writerman came back from the dead and brought a few hundred clones with him.

IndyToad
Go back in time with the classics

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I aggree!

Anyway, I wouldn't even consider trading Ron, except if we were to gain a top-2 (yes, you read right 2 NOT 3!) shooting guard, but not with Al, throw in another player, ok, but not Al also. Anyway, I really want to keep Artest he's still very young and he will continue to learn and get better. Trade Al for Barry or Trenton Hassell or a Center like Chandler.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

sweabs
06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Trade Al for Barry or Trenton Hassell or a Center like Chandler.

CHANDLER!?!?!? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o .

And I don't think we need more defense with Trenton Hassell.

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 04:08 PM
One mistake and lets throw in the towel....

It's not "one mistake". He's played like a ballhog for most of the playoffs. The Pacers just finally ran into an opponent where playing as a team really mattered.

I think Artest doesn't respect his teammates very much. When situations get tight he acts like he thinks he's the only one who can win the game. And I think, (actually I know), that his teammates are just scared enough of him not to stand up to him about it.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 04:11 PM
I bet ya Detriot would love to Have Ron Artest ..Matter a Fact I seen several say make sure Bird Calls Dumars if he's stupid enough to Trade off Artest , like I said there is atleast 20 other NBA teams if not all them that would love to take a risk on Ron Artest for what he can do .

sweabs
06-02-2004, 04:13 PM
I bet ya Detriot would love to Have Ron Artest ..Matter a Fact I seen several say make sure Bird Calls Dumars if he's stupid enough to Trade off Artest , like I said there is atleast 20 other NBA teams if not all them that would love to take a risk on Ron Artest for what he can do .

You would be stupid NOT to want Artest - which is why this thread bothers me so much! :mad: .

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 04:31 PM

You would be stupid NOT to want Artest - which is why this thread bothers me so much! :mad: .

And if so many teams would want Artest, he'd have big-time trade value, which means the PACERS would be stupid not to listen and see what would be available in return.

sweabs
06-02-2004, 04:32 PM

And if so many teams would want Artest, he'd have big-time trade value, which means the PACERS would be stupid not to listen and see what would be available in return.

But if he's that good then why do you want to trade him :confused: .

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 04:37 PM

But if he's that good then why do you want to trade him :confused: .

Depends on what's available in return. I have never suggested that the Pacers Waive him!!! But in any trade you are going to get something in return.

Artest is a great defender. But, as I explained before, there are many negatives to his game. Especially offensivly. I can't imagine that Larry Bird, one of the all-time offensive geniuses and one of the best passers ever to play, can stand to watch Artest play offense. It is gross.

ChicagoJ
06-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Look how far he's come this year vs. last year. :rolleyes: That was a tremendous improvement. If he does half this much better next year, it will be Huge. One mistake and lets throw in the towel..... :rolleyes:

Water

He came a long way with the low-pressure regular season. Upon entering the playoffs, he reverted to his previously displayed levels of immaturity, low basketball IQ, and overall selfishness.

I'm only interested in how he performed when the chips were on the line. Didn't we all agree that the regular season was meaningless?

And all he did in the Miami series was take advantage of Miami's gameplan - shut down JO at all costs. When Detroit played the Pacers 'straight up', he found it much more difficult to score, even though he clearly was trying to force his offensive production down everyone's throats.

IMO, what happened in the Miami series "set up" what happened to Ron in the Detroit series. Don't remember if I posted it here or if it was a conversation Dad and I had at the beginning of the Detroit series, but I said then that one of my biggest concerns was if Ron would let the Miami series inflate his view of himself. He's not the go-to guy on this team. He's not the foundation on this team. JO is, and JO deserves to be to foundation and go-to guy. I wonder if Ron resents that? It sure seems like it, based on his goofy post-game comments.

Wasn't it the same play last night that Jim Gray reported Rick was screaming for the Pacers to give the ball to JO and Ron tried one of his patented one-on-five moves? Or was that one of Ron's patented quick jumpers?

Did anybody else notice how wide open Reggie was, coming off a screen, during Ron's thirty-five footer? The other four Pacers were running a play.

If ya'all want to say these opinions are based on just one series, then I suppose I can live with that. :rolleyes: Because in my opinion, the regular season/ Boston series don't matter. And Ron's performance in the Miami series would have been much different had Miami played a 'regular' defense against us.

Dukins
06-02-2004, 05:08 PM
:worship: Thanks for taking the words right out of my mouth.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Jay I think you made some valid points and I respect that cause you actually had some facts that I can't disagree with but I still believe ron is a keeper, personsally it's not gonna make or break me as a Pacer fan if they deal off Artest I trust Bird and if he says go , then he has his reasons. But to hear fans say he's gotta go I don't buy it ..none of us are GM's or Coaches of NBA teams so it's all really just speculation by us fans and in the real basketball world that means as much as the lint in my pocket right now.

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 06:51 PM
But to hear fans say he's gotta go I don't buy it ..none of us are GM's or Coaches of NBA teams so it's all really just speculation by us fans and in the real basketball world that means as much as the lint in my pocket right now.

Of course it's just a fan forum. I don't think anyone expects Donnie Walsh or Larry B to get on here are read everyone's opinion before they pull the trigger on a trade.

And I don't think it's out of line to draw conclusions and make comments on Ron Artests game after watching him over and over and over and over again hogging the ball, forcing bad shots, holding the ball while the shot clock runs down, and not passing the ball.

But, I will betcha that it makes Larry mad when Ron does it. And I'll betcha if the right deal comes along, Larry'd do it.

Hicks
06-03-2004, 11:59 AM
i split the "other" posts.