PDA

View Full Version : Well the star is now saying they have learned that Tinsley was suspended

Peck
01-17-2008, 04:11 AM
for the Golden State game.

Let the apologizing for Jamaal begin.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080117/SPORTS04/801170504

The Indiana Pacers suspended Jamaal Tinsley for Wednesday night's game against Golden State following an incident during a film session one day earlier, The Star has learned.

What exactly happened during the session is unknown. However, coach Jim O'Brien said prior to Wednesday's game that Tinsley would sit out because of an injured knee. O'Brien told The Star the same thing after the game.
The Tinsley situation overshadowed a big comeback win by the Pacers, 125-117 over the Warriors.
Former Pacer and current Golden State forward Stephen Jackson, along with several people with knowledge of the situation, confirmed that Tinsley was suspended. The length of Tinsley's suspension is uncertain.
Tinsley, who has dealt with an assortment of injuries the past few weeks, has routinely attended home and road games while injured this season, but he was not at Conseco Fieldhouse on Wednesday.
"It's an unfortunate situation he got suspended like that," Jackson said after the game. "He'll bounce back. Me and Jamaal have been through a lot."
Former coach Rick Carlisle suspended Tinsley for one game last March for excessive tardiness to practice.
Tinsley is facing charges stemming from a nightclub incident and was shot at outside of the Conrad Hotel Downtown last month.

Mourning
01-17-2008, 04:41 AM
This should become an interesting topic to see where everyone stands ;).

RamBo_Lamar
01-17-2008, 04:54 AM
This should become an interesting topic to see where everyone stands ;).

I'm sure many will call for him to be traded, even though there are no teams
who want him or his salary. Same old story.

Would be surprised if the truth about this "incident" at the film session ever
comes out.

Was nice to get the win over GS without him in the lineup.

Bball
01-17-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm absolutely shocked by this. No, not Tinsley's suspsension- The Star reporting it!

-Bball

Eindar
01-17-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm absolutely shocked by this. No, not Tinsley's suspsension- The Star reporting it!

-Bball

They had to have something to take people's minds off the Colts' choke job :D

I'm upset with Jamaal, obviously, but I'm really, really tired of the double-talk coming out of the front office. How do they expect the players to play with character and integrity when they're going to sit there and lie to the faces of all of their customers? I understand they were probably trying to protect his trade value, but after being in the brawl and three late night incidents, getting suspended for one game for something he did in a film session is barely a blip on the radar.

Start being honest with your fans, and maybe your fans will start trusting you when you tell them you're doing your best to make them proud of their team.

Elgin56
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Maybe Rick wasn't the problem, hmmm.

Will Galen
01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
It doesn't surprise me that the Pacers tried to keep it in house. And it's not just the Pacers that do such things, all teams do. Families do it too.

I imagine Tinsley was being criticized for his play during the film session and got upset by it and did something stupid like throwing something or jawing with the coaches and got himself suspended.

It was dumb of O'B to lie about it though. There's people like Mike Well's just itching to jump on stories like that.

Notice that Well's is the Pacer's beat writer and he wrote a short burb about Tinsley being suspended and nothing about the game itself.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
As I said when I walked into Conseco, it was obvious that he was suspended.

I didn't need Wells to tell me, and it didn't matter what OB said.

And yes I think the suspension INVOLVING YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER did impact and cause the Pacers horrible first quarter.

Doddage
01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, sounds like the Mel Mel that we all know (not so sure about love)...

Major Cold
01-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Is this the same Tins that left the practice floor to huge Bird and thanking him for JOB?

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Is this the same Tins that left the practice floor to huge Bird and thanking him for JOB?

Yes. Sure JT likes Jim until he tells him to play the right way, and then he throws a fit

indygeezer
01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Wonder if Jamaal will come out and say something about how he respects JOB for treating him like a man this time.

MagicRat
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
it didn't matter what OB said.

All right, I have to ask. Is Unclebuck quitting on Jim O'Brien?.......

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
All right, I have to ask. Is Unclebuck quitting on Jim O'Brien?.......

You know what I meant. No, I like OB a lot.

Kegboy
01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm upset with Jamaal, obviously, but I'm really, really tired of the double-talk coming out of the front office. How do they expect the players to play with character and integrity when they're going to sit there and lie to the faces of all of their customers? I understand they were probably trying to protect his trade value, but after being in the brawl and three late night incidents, getting suspended for one game for something he did in a film session is barely a blip on the radar.

Start being honest with your fans, and maybe your fans will start trusting you when you tell them you're doing your best to make them proud of their team.

Well said.

I don't believe he's untradeable. Not after how he's played this season. I doubt I'd like what we'd get in return, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the deadline.

Putnam
01-17-2008, 10:07 AM
I make no value judgments here about fault or seriousness or personal liberties or on-versus-off-the-court or anything.

But this is the 4th incident this year that makes the Pacers look bad.

1. Shawne Williams charged with driving violations.
2. Jamaal Tinsley involved in late-night shooting.
3. David Harrison suspended for drugs.
4. Jamaal Tinsley suspended for "incident."

The Pacers have not yet even begun to turn the corner in their struggle to become a team that the Indy community can like.

I think that is pretty sad.

Oh, and that was a great win last night.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
I make no value judgments here about fault or seriousness or personal liberties or on-versus-off-the-court or anything.

But this is the 4th incident this year that makes the Pacers look bad.

1. Shawne Williams charged with driving violations.
2. Jamaal Tinsley involved in late-night shooting.
3. David Harrison suspended for drugs.
4. Jamaal Tinsley suspended for "incident."

The Pacers have not yet even begun to turn the corner in their struggle to become a team that the Indy community can like.

I think that is pretty sad.

Oh, and that was a great win last night.

I really liked the team that played in the second half of the Golden State game last night. I realize that team isn't going to win many games (but then again the team with Harrison, JO and JT wasn't doing that well either)

BillS
01-17-2008, 10:29 AM
It's the final straw for me on JT. I was on his side through the shooting incident - though I felt he could have thought a little more about the team and its PR before making his decision to go out that late - but this? You have a coach who hands you the keys to the team and basically lets you play the way you want, then you do something in reference to a working session that gets you suspended? That's boneheaded.

I know that the team on the floor in the 4th quarter can't possibly deliver the victories we all want, but I'd rather have JT (and JO) sent away in exchange for a legitimate backup-quality PG and PF and watch that team leave it all on the court every night, win or lose. Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not saying it is possible given injury, character, and salary issues, but I'm ready if it does.

Putnam
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I really liked the team that played in the second half of the Golden State game last night.

Absolutely, UncleBuck. I sort of felt by halftime that a win was possible and loved the way they dug it out.

No, I was talking about the hearts-and-minds aspect. The non-fans and casual fans and former fans will hear about the two events of the past week and it will cause them to shove any positive thoughts about going to a game or reviving their interest farther away again . . . probably for the rest of this season.

The process of renewing the community affection for the Pacers has not yet begun.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
It's the final straw for me on JT. I was on his side through the shooting incident - though I felt he could have thought a little more about the team and its PR before making his decision to go out that late - but this? You have a coach who hands you the keys to the team and basically lets you play the way you want, then you do something in reference to a working session that gets you suspended? That's boneheaded.

I know that the team on the floor in the 4th quarter can't possibly deliver the victories we all want, but I'd rather have JT (and JO) sent away in exchange for a legitimate backup-quality PG and PF and watch that team leave it all on the court every night, win or lose. Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not saying it is possible given injury, character, and salary issues, but I'm ready if it does.

I think most of us agree with you, I know I do 100%. If they can bring in a decent point guard to help Owens, Diener and Daniels a little, and then maybe in the draft get a real starting point guard, and also get another big guy who can fit into OB's system both offensively and defensively then I would be happy. We won't make the playoffs, but now is the time to bit the bullet, because the fans aren't coming back anytime soon.

The pacers defensive system is extremely difficult to play especially for the big guys, last night, Granger & Williams were lost, it wasn't until Jeff came in and they moved Dunleavy to the power forward position defensively in the 4th quarter, did the defense improve.

In the third quarter last night there were two or three plays in a row where jeff's man got layups, well it wasn't Jeff's fault - he was flooding the strong side as the coaches wanted, but Granger and williams were not filling in to the lane properly. Finally jeff had a very animated discussion with the coaching staff - saying hey we need to change something here.

Speed
01-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I really liked the team that played in the second half of the Golden State game last night. I realize that team isn't going to win many games (but then again the team with Harrison, JO and JT wasn't doing that well either)

Me too, I have EVERY time that Dunleavy and Granger are your focal point, cuz when they are your focal point its not at the detriment to the other guys on the floor. I'd rather watch them win 36 than the other group win, well, 36.

granger33
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I've had enough of JT to.

but everyone is having a go at him and saying to ship him off when no one knows 100% why he was suspended.

So just wait until we know.

Doug
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, Tinsley did something bad. Got suspended.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts. If he comes back contrite and working hard or continues his sinis-poutin-itis.

He said he respected JOB's approach, nows when we find out if he really does.

BobbyMac
01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Well, before i'm ready to shoot Tinsley I would need to know more about what happened....I don't believe Mike Wells and feel that he amplifies things to get attention. The only person quoted is jackson....he is well known to shoot his mouth off....Sounds to me like the Pacers handled it in the right way.

Pacerized
01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd have to know why he's suspended before I passed judgment on him. If it's tardiness I don't see that as an issue to blow out of proportion. However, I doubt if his trade value gets any higher then it is right now.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I am glad to see many of you are being so foregiving (we really have no choice, I still think he's untradable) but I think if you go back starting with the game in Phoenix and follow what happened in that game, the Kings game, and the Warriors game - it is obvious what happened - it is obvious what is going on.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Now I stand corrected.

I'm sure I've been labeled as that guy who thinks Tinsley can do no wrong. I'd like to clarify that I'm just sick off everyone piling on the guy. I do like him as a player and feel like he's one of the better point guards in the league. Even I'm finding it harder to defend the guy though. I still think this team rolls with JT.

Speed
01-17-2008, 11:23 AM
For me, this has nothing to do with this thing. For me its not wanting to see him trying to "take over" every 4th quarter, even when he is hitting, I don't like it. It junk ball, imho. I just hate it, always have. I think its better basketball when him and JO aren't in, its that simple for me.

If JO would say publicly, I'm stepping back and want to let the others carry us offensively, my goal is to be the DPOY and be top 5 in rebounding, would go a looooonnnnggg way. Even make Granger and Dunleavy "captains". Anyway, I sound ridiculous because its all fantasy.

I guess this other stuff with Tinsley is kinda just icing for me, its always something, with this guy. You want to say, hey just be normal for awhile, not your normal, but like most peoples normal.

Putnam
01-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Great comment here:

Me too, I have EVERY time that Dunleavy and Granger are your focal point, cuz when they are your focal point its not at the detriment to the other guys on the floor.

I'd rather watch them win 36 than the other group win, well, 36.

Hicks
01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm really, really tired of the double-talk coming out of the front office.

they're going to sit there and lie to the faces of all of their customers?

I understand they were probably trying to protect his trade value,

Start being honest with your fans, and maybe your fans will start trusting you

:ding: :ding: :ding: :ding: :ding: :ding: :ding: :ding: :ding:

Hicks
01-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Well said.

I don't believe he's untradeable. Not after how he's played this season. I doubt I'd like what we'd get in return, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the deadline.

(And keep in mind that I was supportive of Tinsley after Cloud-9) I hope we do. I really hope we do.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't really care that the Pacers tried to cover it up. I would have done the same thing.

FlavaDave
01-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I still think we can trade Tinsley to Atlanta, Cleveland, or New York.

Elgin56
01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, before i'm ready to shoot Tinsley I would need to know more about what happened....I don't believe Mike Wells and feel that he amplifies things to get attention. The only person quoted is jackson....he is well known to shoot his mouth off....Sounds to me like the Pacers handled it in the right way.

My question is, why in the hell is Tinsley even talking to Jackson about suspension?

odeez
01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
not sure what to think about the TINS suspension. all I want is for this team to get back to some kind of respectable state. the Pacers have certainly become the laughing stock of the league. there will be trades that is for sure, but when is the question. TINS and JO won't be here next year, that much I know.

RamBo_Lamar
01-17-2008, 12:23 PM

I don't know why another team would want to trade for him at this stage.

Remember, come March there is a real possibility Tins could end up being
convicted of charges stemming from the 8-Sec Saloon incident, including
a felony charge. The guy might end up behind bars, although it's not likely.

I don't know about the Cavs, but the Knicks and Hawks have had more than
their fair share of off-court drama in recent years, and I doubt they would
be willing to be passed such a "hot potato".

FlavaDave
01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know why another team would want to trade for him at this stage.

Remember, come March there is a real possibility Tins could end up being
convicted of charges stemming from the 8-Sec Saloon incident, including
a felony charge. The guy might end up behind bars, although it's not likely.

I don't know about the Cavs, but the Knicks and Hawks have had more than
their fair share of off-court drama in recent years, and I doubt they would
be willing to be passed such a "hot potato".

If New York is willing to trade for Zach Randolph, anything is possible. And I'm betting Atlanta is willing to take the risk because they aren't winning a playoff series with Anthony Johnson as the starter.

Putnam
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
If New York is willing to trade for Zach Randolph, anything is possible. And I'm betting Atlanta is willing to take the risk because they aren't winning a playoff series with Anthony Johnson as the starter.

Are we talking about the Anthony Johnson who scored 40 points in his last playoff appearance?

I know, I know. I'm just yanking your chain.

LG33
01-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Indiana Pacers

<TABLE class=tablehead style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TH colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3116.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Lorenzen Wright
Salary: $3,250,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 0.8 REB: 3.6 AST: 0.3 PER: 4.06

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3928.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Marvin Williams
Salary: $4,466,040 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 16.2 REB: 5.7 AST: 2.0 PER: 16.96

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3520.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Joe Johnson
Salary: $13,488,378 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 21.6 REB: 4.2 AST: 5.3 PER: 16.54

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Outgoing Players: Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley

Atlanta Hawks

<TABLE class=tablehead style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TH colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3120.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Jermaine O'Neal
Salary: $19,728,000 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 15.3 REB: 7.3 AST: 2.5 PER: 15.74

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3528.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Jamaal Tinsley
Salary: $6,300,000 Years Remaining: 4
PTS: 13.4 REB: 4.0 AST: 8.5 PER: 13.75

Outgoing Players: Lorenzen Wright, Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson

Dreams can come true.

naptownmenace
01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, before i'm ready to shoot Tinsley...

Do you drive a blue pickup?

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2008, 12:52 PM

-Bball
Of course they are. The minute it became about trouble, suspensions and other Springer show content they ran with it. At that point it becomes the lead story on page 1 and the only decision left is Font size "Bigger or Biggest?"

Doesn't help that the team keeps obliging them. :mad:

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Now I stand corrected.

I'm sure I've been labeled as that guy who thinks Tinsley can do no wrong. I'd like to clarify that I'm just sick off everyone piling on the guy. I do like him as a player and feel like he's one of the better point guards in the league. Even I'm finding it harder to defend the guy though. I still think this team rolls with JT.
I hear ya. I respect that and it's why I have defended him at times, and also why I've defended Jackson, JO and Carlisle.

Just consider that "Rick was wrong on Tins" think from 3 games in. Now I have some justification for saying "hold on". With Tins just because he's a jerk or a chucker or ball hog or disruptive doesn't mean he should have been shot at.

Defending a player or coach doesn't mean it's across the board. Plus it helps when you own up to it like you just did.

There's different sides of a debate and then there's REASONABLE different sides of a debate. I hate when the pictures get painted B&W and turned into rant fodder.

BoomBaby33
01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
My question is, why in the hell is Tinsley even talking to Jackson about suspension?

Thats easy. They're buds off the court. They like to roll with each other, ya know. :D

Sidenote: I'm convinced that Mike Wells hates the Pacers. He is always the first one to report bad / negative stuff, and Montieth always reports the good stuff. I mean come on, the Pacers did try to cover it up helping with PR. I dont have a problem with that from their perspective. Look at what they were dealt with Hulk, they didn't even know he had been busted twice before, so I think they have a right to hold info back. And then stupid Jackhole goes to Mike Wells. :annoyed:

Dr. Goldfoot
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
: I'm convinced that Mike Wells hates the Pacers.

Some on here are gonna say that's what a good reporter does and I don't necessary think Mike Wells hates the Pacers but I do think Mike Wells loves to see Mike Wells get some attention. I'm a little surprised he gets any scoop from the players or organization. He certainly isn't helping their cause. I know I wouldn't talk to the guy if I was involved with the team.

BillS
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Indiana Pacers

<TABLE class=tablehead style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TH colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3116.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Lorenzen Wright
Salary: $3,250,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 0.8 REB: 3.6 AST: 0.3 PER: 4.06

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3928.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Marvin Williams
Salary: $4,466,040 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 16.2 REB: 5.7 AST: 2.0 PER: 16.96

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/35x48/3520.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top>Joe Johnson
Salary: $13,488,378 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 21.6 REB: 4.2 AST: 5.3 PER: 16.54

Outgoing Players: Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley

Dreams can come true.

Dream is right. I'd kill to get Joe Johnson back from this deal, but I think even Atlanta isn't that stupid.

ABADays
01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I'd have to know why he's suspended before I passed judgment on him. If it's tardiness I don't see that as an issue to blow out of proportion. However, I doubt if his trade value gets any higher then it is right now.

No - it would be an issue. He was suspended last year for that very thing.

Is it February yet?

JayRedd
01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
If the youthfully handsome and exuberent JayRedd of 2001 was sitting on a couch rooting for Duke to lose in the First Round of the Tournament and was told that within the next seven years the only player he would particularly even enjoy watching play for his favorite NBA team would be Mike Dunleavy, Jr. he would probably have pulled a Warden Norton from Shawshank.

This crap is getting to the point where if I was watching it happen in a movie I wouldn't even be able to suspend my disbelief at the absurdity of the writing.

I love this game.

BobbyMac
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Do you drive a blue pickup?
Oh...bad choice of words....Uh....before I'm ready to hang him...uh....before I'm ready to give up on him....better...
;)

Evan_The_Dude
01-17-2008, 02:09 PM
As a Tinsley supporter, it's time to give him a new address. We aren't going anywhere with him, so we might as well not go anywhere without him.

Putnam
01-17-2008, 02:15 PM
...he would probably have pulled a Warden Norton from Shawshank.

Do you mean the part where he shoots himself in the head? Or the part where a man comes up to him and given him a delicious pie? Because I like pie, too!

RamBo_Lamar
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM
As a Tinsley supporter, it's time to give him a new address. We aren't going anywhere with him, so we might as well not go anywhere without him.

In March he just might have a new address if found guilty of his 8-Sec
Saloon charges:

40 South Alabama St.

aero
01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
We can get all mad and all that but nothing will get done about it. Like it or not Tinsley is here and hes not getting traded any time soon so we all will just have to live with the many things he will continue to do on and off the court.

themayhem87
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Tinsely has become the pacman jones of the NBA...to a lesser extent

FlavaDave
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Do you mean the part where he shoots himself in the head? Or the part where a man comes up to him and given him a delicious pie? Because I like pie, too!

Actually, as I recall the pie was terrible.

CableKC
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Maybe Rick wasn't the problem, hmmm.
I wonder what Seth has to say about this.... ;)

Raskolnikov
01-17-2008, 03:47 PM
We can get all mad and all that but nothing will get done about it. Like it or not Tinsley is here and hes not getting traded any time soon so we all will just have to live with the many things he will continue to do on and off the court.
Hey, we were able to trade Jack last year so Tins can't be that untradeable...

bnd45
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I really think we should focus on dealing him to the Rockets. He'd be an upgrade over Alston for them and we could get a PG like Mike James in return.

Realistically, Tinsley can only be dealt to a playoff team stuck in neutral.
(Houston, Denver, Cleveland) The Nuggets and Cavs don't really line up as good trade partners and the Tinsley-M. James swap works.

mildlysane
01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Sidenote: I'm convinced that Mike Wells hates the Pacers. He is always the first one to report bad / negative stuff, and Montieth always reports the good stuff.

Good cop, bad cop.

BobbyMac
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Quote from Pacers.com

Despite published reports to the contrary, Coach Jim O'Brien said after Thursday's practice he did not suspend Jamaal Tinsley for Wednesday's 125-117 victory over Golden State and that he expected the veteran point guard to play Saturday against Sacramento.

<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley.jpg <CENTER><SMALL>Tinsley</SMALL></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jim_obrien.jpg <CENTER><SMALL>O'Brien</SMALL></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"As an NBA coach, I have the ability and the right to de-activate any player I want," O'Brien said. "I de-activated Jamaal and Ike (Diogu) last night."
O'Brien said before Wednesday's game Tinsley would not play because of a sore left knee but Warriors guard Stephen Jackson, a friend and former teammate of Tinsley's, said after the game the point guard had been suspended. The Indianapolis Star reported "several people with knowledge of the situation" confirmed the suspension. O'Brien, however, did not.
Whatever the case, Tinsley was back at practice Thursday and apparently will play in Saturday's game against Sacramento in Conseco Fieldhouse.
"I intend to have him activated next game," O'Brien said. Tinsley did not speak with the media after practice.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 05:06 PM
OK, so it wasn't a suspension, so he got paid, but he still was not activated and that was the coaches decision. That doesn't change anything if you ask me

Shade
01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I mostly wish all of the double-talk coming from TPTB would stop. I'm tired of all the phantom migraines and sinusitis flare-ups.

Hicks
01-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm tired of it too, Shade. In my eyes, when you cover a player in these situations, you associate negatively with them. If a franchise is up front about it, it's like they're standing a good 10 feet away saying "They were wrong. They messed up. They are being punished for it. We do not condone this.". When you try to sweep it under the rug and continue to do so even after it's pretty :censored: obvious it's true, it just sends a bad message to me, personally.

indygeezer
01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm tired of it too, Shade. In my eyes, when you cover a player in these situations, you associate negatively with them. If a franchise is up front about it, it's like they're standing a good 10 feet away saying "They were wrong. They messed up. They are being punished for it. We do not condone this.". When you try to sweep it under the rug and continue to do so even after it's pretty :censored: obvious it's true, it just sends a bed message to me, personally.

This could explain your recent "love life".

There could also be legal ramifications of their talking about it. You could be running afowl of right to privacy laws....just my guess tho, I'm no lawyer.

Slick Pinkham
01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
wow this is fun.

For a few days there he may have had just a tiny little bit of trade value.

POOF...

I'm just guessing,

but it would seem reasonable that his active status or inactive status might coincide with his level of sobriety.

BlueNGold
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Slowly, one by one, the fog lifts for Tinsley supporters. ...or maybe not.

Last time I checked, RC was not in the building. Can't pin this on him.

No problem, let's just find someone else not named Jamaal Tinsley to blame this on.

How about that guy in the blue pickup? You know, the stress of it all just caused Tins to snap several weeks later.

How about JOb? Who's to say he's not a jerk like RC.

Let's find an excuse please because we need to keep supporting him.

I'm sure one of our professional excuse-makers on this board can come up with one.

BlueNGold
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
lil concerned Ike was deactivated...

Hmmmmmmm

MyFavMartin
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
OK, so it wasn't a suspension, so he got paid, but he still was not activated and that was the coaches decision. That doesn't change anything if you ask me

Unless you're buying the injury crap... :bs:

He's down! :buddies:

He's up! :dance:

It's only a minor flesh wound. :boxer:

Hallelujah! :angel:

Can I get an amen? :bowdown:

Let the devil come out! :devil:

All this :deadhorse: is leaving making me think :stupid:

aceace
01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't really care that the Pacers tried to cover it up. I would have done the same thing.Exactly, they should keep it in house. I am sick of tinman being "in the news" for everything but good pg play. He may end up in Miami... if were lucky. Not sure who I would want from them. Give the pg duties to Deiner, he's playing better and the offense looked good in the 4th Wed. it may be a gamble but wtf we aren't going anywhere with Tinman. Does Ike and Tinsley work for a better PG or SG

Bball
01-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Exactly, they should keep it in house.

I disagree. Tinsley doesn't deserve to be 'protected' at this point. Maybe you try and keep it in house for a player that otherwise is a 'good egg' and trying but has a momentary lapse.... But that's not Tinsley.

The team needs to actually separate themselves from Tins' actions, not become part of the coverup. They need to be standing tall. The majority of fans know Tins' story by now, no amount of coverup and coddling is going to change it. It just shows the team is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Or course at this point the team probably doesn't want to report Tins' misdeeds out of embarrassment of their own position and how it makes them look for sticking with him and the size/length of his contract.

I cannot believe Tinsley is still on this team. I'm no longer all that angry about it though. I figure if TPTB doesn't care enough not to clean up their messes then I can certainly lower my expectations about the team below the point where I care about spending my money on them. I don't think I'm alone.

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
If the youthfully handsome and exuberent JayRedd of 2001 was sitting on a couch rooting for Duke to lose in the First Round of the Tournament and was told that within the next seven years the only player he would particularly even enjoy watching play for his favorite NBA team would be Mike Dunleavy, Jr. he would probably have pulled a Warden Norton from Shawshank.

This crap is getting to the point where if I was watching it happen in a movie I wouldn't even be able to suspend my disbelief at the absurdity of the writing.

I love this game.
Of all the gin-joint teams in all the NBA, MikeD had to walk onto mine.

This looks like the beginning of a beautiful fanship.
(you to MikeD)

I wonder what Seth has to say about this.... ;)
Well I've certainly mentioned it, but I did restrain myself on bumping the "Guess Tins was right and Rick was wrong" thread.
That's not as easy as it sounds. :D

Let me seriously add that I've been somewhat supportive of Tins. I took Rick's side on any battle between those two and felt that Tins shouldn't be let free of issues he apparently created because he didn't like Rick or his style of play. On stuff like that I say "for now he's your coach, give him your best and let the chips fall from that". It killed me that people let his attitude issues off the hook just because he was unhappy with the coaching.

And for all the tirades Jackson threw coming out of games, he and Rick remained chummy and Jack kept getting PT. Jackson never lingered with an injury, didn't rip on Rick when he left, or any of that crap. So if he's your measure of a discipline issue, where does that put carpers like Tins, AJ, Saras and Harrington?

This last situation with Tins is the one that pushed me over, just like I was fine with Ron till he said "trade me" to the press instead of to Donnie's face behind closed doors. He didn't suddenly lose talent, I'm just sick of dealing with issues like this. Not all of his past issues are his fault, but some are and enough is enough. Especially when they seem to be based around the team rather than extracurricular.

Naptown_Seth
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I mostly wish all of the double-talk coming from TPTB would stop. I'm tired of all the phantom migraines and sinusitis flare-ups.
What, do you have a problem with Mark Price, or one of the top 3pt shooters in the NBA, or making a move in the draft (ie, get Stanko in round 2). I think TPTB are pretty straight shooters myself.
;)

Karl Rove called, he thinks the Pacers are going too far with the spin control.

I'll tell you, these Pacers are going to surprise the fans this year.
(Later I'll say that I didn't say it would be a good surprise)

indygeezer
01-18-2008, 05:06 PM
What, do you have a problem with Mark Price, or one of the top 3pt shooters in the NBA, or making a move in the draft (ie, get Stanko in round 2). I think TPTB are pretty straight shooters myself.
;)

Karl Rove called, he thinks the Pacers are going too far with the spin control.

I'll tell you, these Pacers are going to surprise the fans this year.
(Later I'll say that I didn't say it would be a good surprise)

surprise: syn. ambush

VF21
01-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Bravo.

I think this should become a commandment for the front office of ALL teams.

It would have been nice to hear a little honesty from the Maloofs and Geoff Petrie when Chris Webber was traded for "more flexible pieces." It would have been wonderful to not have sunshine blown up our skirts when Vlade was allowed to sign with the Lakers over a difference of around $1 million.

Fans aren't idiots. In fact, I personally believe there are a number of fans who could actually teach front offices a thing or two - if the front offices would listen.

I don't change my signature very often but I truly feel this quote is worth keeping around.

:buddies:

JayRedd
01-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Of all the gin-joint teams in all the NBA, MikeD had to walk onto mine.

This looks like the beginning of a beautiful fanship.
(you to MikeD)

Naptown_Seth: What in heaven's name brought you to be a Pacers fan?

JayRedd: My health. I came to watch fundamental and well-executed basketball.

Naptown_Seth: Fundamental and well-executed basketball? What fundamental and well-executed basketball? We're in Indianapolis.

JayRedd: I was misinformed.