PDA

View Full Version : All right, I have to ask: Is Tinsley quitting on Jim?

Hicks
01-16-2008, 05:35 PM
When I got my email from pacers.com regarding tonight's game, I was surprised to see they had Andre Owens starting at PG.

I scrolled down to injuries to see that Tinsley is listed there with a sore left knee. Umm, what sore left knee? The sore left knee that showed no obvious signs of discomfort or problems Sunday? The sore left knee that was not mentioned once, at all, ever, in the press/media before today? That sore left knee? Oh. I guess that's my mistake.

Sorry to even be posting this, but it just struck me as "here we go again". I freely admit I could be 100% off base, but this is a red flag for me. This is coming off of games where Tinsley made horrible choices to end the Phoenix game, then he didn't finish the Sacramento game, and then he was playing like his old self (in a bad way) the following night in Golden State. Now heading into the very next game, with no seen reasons to explain it, he suddenly is out with a sore left knee. Yeah, right.

I'm sorry but this franchise has a history of making up injuries to cover up the likes of Tinsley and Artest and their bull****, and I don't buy this for a second until I see him limping around myself during a game heading into this kind of announcement. Physically, he looked just fine to me. Now granted I wasn't going out of my way to examine him, but nonetheless.

Los Angeles
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
3 more years and this will all be behind us ...

MagicRat
01-16-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=641355&postcount=16

Arcadian
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
This season I believe it is the training staff that puts people on IR not the player or coach. Also I doubt Jim would feel the need to hide the fact that he is benching someone.

bnd45
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
He did look a little sluggish on Sunday night, and JOB did mention that he had an MRI during the 2 off days in Phoenix. I think it's a combination of a minor injury and frustration. Like I mentioned in one of the postgame threads he bolted from the locker room as soon as the game ended Sunday night.

NuffSaid
01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, it was reported before the game against the Kings that Tinsley was hampered by a sore knee, but he played on it anyway at least in the first half. He also played against the Warriors, of course, but there was talk during the game that his knee was still bothering him. Since then, there have been reports all week stating that Tinsley (and even JO) hadn't practised much because of soreness to his knee.

So, I wouldn't put too much into to him sitting out this game or the next against the Kings. Coincidence on the heals of his questionable performances of late? Maybe! If he was gimpy enough to play for 19 minutes against the Kings and nearly the entire game the following day against the Warriors, you'd think he'd be able to play on that same gimpy knee after having 2-days rest, right? :hmm:

Let's look at this one as a possible blessing in disguise. If Owens comes out and shuts down either Daron Davis or Monte Ellis and Deiner is able to have a repeat performance from his game against the Warriors and JOB does go w/the Foster/Murphy combo w/the 2nd Unit and the Pacers are able to control the interior and win this one at home in grand fashion, somehow I doubt anybody will be worried about the validity of Tinsley's "sore" knee. :cool:

naptownmenace
01-16-2008, 06:33 PM
It's always something with the team. Unfortunately, I'm with Mal on this one. I have that terrible Deja Vu feeling. :grumble:

BruceLeeroy
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Unclebuck wins.

MyFavMartin
01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
3 more years and this will all be behind us ...

Some would not have a problem with this...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=36213

ABADays
01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I said I would reserve judgment until February. It's getting close.

Cobol Sam
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM

:laugh: Quality.

ABADays
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
:laugh: Quality.

Sam, did your girl win her fight in SFO?

JayRedd
01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Sam, did your girl win her fight in SFO?

Your girlfriend's beating people up in San Francisco International Airport?

That's a keeper.

Cobol Sam
01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I hear she used an ancient Icelandic karate form centered around ripping sweatshirts.

Bball
01-16-2008, 10:58 PM
That the question can be asked without ridicule, much less without a clear answer of "no", speaks volumes.

We have to move on. Bench him and keep him there.

-Bball

Unclebuck
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
It is as obvious as as the nose on my face. YES Tinsley quit. Many of us predicted that Tinsley would not play in this game after knowing what he did in the last Warriors game.

I enjoyed watching the Players that did play tonight.

In case some of you don't know Tinsley was not in the building tonight. (well he wasn't anywhere near the bench) He was probably asked to stay home

Lord Helmet
01-16-2008, 11:04 PM
It is as obvious as as the nose on my face. YES Tinsley quit. Many of us predicted that Tinsley would not play in this game after knowing what he did in the last Warriors game.

I enjoyed watching the Players that did play tonight.

In case some of you don't know Tinsley was not in the building tonight. (well he wasn't anywhere near the bench) He was probably asked to stay home
I noticed he wasn't at the game, normally they'll show the injured players on the bench.

What happened in the last Warriors game? Did Tinsley just not play in the 2nd half at all?

What do you think will happen with him? If they asked him to stay home, then maybe he's going to be traded or something? I doubt it, though.

Unclebuck
01-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I noticed he wasn't at the game, normally they'll show the injured players on the bench.

What happened in the last Warriors game? Did Tinsley just not play in the 2nd half at all?

What do you think will happen with him? If they asked him to stay home, then maybe he's going to be traded or something? I doubt it, though.

He didn't play in the 4th quarter at Sacramento, and then did not give hardly any effort at G. State and had a really bad attitiude on the court, and I know I posted somehwere, that I wouldn't expect Tinsley to play in the next game against the warriors. And sure enough he comes up with an injured knee, and is no where to be found. Hopefully O'Brien asked him to stay home. Really all this started in the Suns game, O'Brien I'm sure wasn't hapopy with all those shots by JT, Jim probably told him about it, and JT is throwing a fit .

I like the way Travis runs the team better anyway. What are the Tinsley supporters going to say now, who can they blame now. JT was given the keys to the car, Carlisle is long gone and he is up to his old tricks

jeffg-body
01-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I noticed his absense as well. Anyone think there are trade rumors afloat? You know when the Pacers usually make a trade it is never leaked before the trade happens usually. :cool:

Unclebuck
01-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I noticed his absense as well. Anyone think there are trade rumors afloat? You know when the Pacers usually make a trade it is never leaked before the trade happens usually. :cool:

No he was quietly suspended for a poor attitude. No doubt in my mind about that. Otherwise he would have been at the arena. I applaud O'Brien and Bord for taking this step. Whether they call it a suspension or an injury, it doesn't matter to me

Bball
01-16-2008, 11:21 PM
No he was quietly suspended for a poor attitude. No doubt in my mind about that. Otherwise he would have been at the arena. I applaud O'Brien and Bord for taking this step. Whether they call it a suspension or an injury, it doesn't matter to me

That Bord guy is a disciplinarian!

BTW... I agree with you. Write it down!

-Bball

Lord Helmet
01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Do you think this will eventually lead to Tinsley being traded? Or is it something the Pacers would rather let linger. (Like they have in the past.)

ABADays
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Tell you what, Tinsley's got some balls after JOB gave him the keys to the franchise. Maybe he's double-crossed Bird's coaches too many times.

Arcadian
01-16-2008, 11:33 PM
All this insider knowledge impresses me. It's like being in the lockerroom only more clothes.

JayRedd
01-17-2008, 12:03 AM
All this insider knowledge impresses me. It's like being in the lockerroom only more clothes.

Depends on who is typing.

Shack80
01-17-2008, 12:34 AM
I am naked.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 12:36 AM

I don't have any inside information. But if you piece a couple of things together and look at past history - there is very, very little doubt in my mind why he wasn't at the game tonight . What other possible explanation is there. Only if Tinsley had a very severe injury would he not have been on the bench - and trust me he was never on the bench at all tonight. His knee probably does hurt, and maybe he wouldn't have played either way, but he would have been on the bench if nothing was going on

docpaul
01-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't have any inside information. But if you piece a couple of things together and look at past history - there is very, very little doubt in my mind why he wasn't at the game tonight . What other possible explanation is there. Only if Tinsley had a very severe injury would he not have been on the bench - and trust me he was never on the bench at all tonight. His knee probably does hurt, and maybe he wouldn't have played either way, but he would have been on the bench if nothing was going on

Actually, I think you and Mal made a correct prediction:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/game_080116.html

The cause of Tinsley's absence was officially a sore left knee but Jackson said after the game the Pacers' point guard had been suspended. Told of Jackson's comment, the Pacers maintained it was injury related.The turning point for Tinsley was the end of the Phoenix game. That was just... IMO, a deliberate disregard for the team and the coach's wishes. It's reflected in his playing time since.

My guess: they want to keep this quiet to help their trade potential. I'll bet you big dollars they're trying to shop him actively while his value is still high.

Hicks
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM

Huh. True enough. I'd totally forgotten about that while thinking about other things during the show and then leaving it behind. Well I guess I'm wrong this time.

However, it's sad that Tinsley's past actions alone were enough to have me convinced he was up to something bad before that was brought to my attention.

Lord Helmet
01-17-2008, 12:48 AM
That still doesn't explain why he was a no show tonight.

docpaul
01-17-2008, 12:52 AM
That still doesn't explain why he was a no show tonight.

He was a no show because O'Brien told him to stay home. He was suspended according to SJax and reported on pacers.com in a byline.

Hicks
01-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Well wait, now I saw this:

The cause of Tinsley's absence was officially a sore left knee but Jackson said after the game the Pacers' point guard had been suspended. Told of Jackson's comment, the Pacers maintained it was injury related.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/game_080116.html From Conrad Brunner on Pacers.com

And since I was at the game looking for him, I can also attest to the fact that he wasn't even on the bench tonight.

So while Jim said he had a knee injury after the PHO game, it's still pretty clear this was a discipline issue.

So I can only conclude that he actually was injured, and it just so happens he was suspended at the same time for other reasons. Either that, or the Pacers are getting so good at lying about injuries they set you up early to make the pieces appear to fit. I bet it's the former, not the latter.

Lord Helmet
01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Well wait, now I saw this:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/game_080116.html From Conrad Brunner on Pacers.com

And since I was at the game looking for him, I can also attest to the fact that he wasn't even on the bench tonight.

So while Jim said he had a knee injury after the PHO game, it's still pretty clear this was a discipline issue.

So I can only conclude that he actually was injured, and it just so happens he was suspended at the same time for other reasons. Either that, or the Pacers are getting so good at lying about injuries they set you up early to make the pieces appear to fit. I bet it's the former, not the latter.
Here is what I take from all of this:

Tinsley is actually hurt and was suspended tonight because he quit on the team and is in pouting mode.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
So now we're taking Stephen Jackson's word on matters? Some of you guys are amazing.

He had an MRI 6 days ago. Played too much against the Suns. Was held back against the Kings (partially due to Travis having a career game). Played too much against the Warriors and was taking the day off to rest the knee. Players don't get suspended by the team when they don't even take action during the games. He did have 5 boards, 11 assists, 2 steals and 8 points against some very talented players in B. Davis & Monta Ellis.

If Larry Bird or JOB come out and say he was suspended then I'll believe but it takes more than Stephen Jackson trying to rile up some **** after a bitter loss.

Hicks
01-17-2008, 01:11 AM
So Jackson decided to lie why, exactly?

docpaul
01-17-2008, 01:15 AM
So now we're taking Stephen Jackson's word on matters? Some of you guys are amazing.

He had an MRI 6 days ago. Played too much against the Suns. Was held back against the Kings (partially due to Travis having a career game). Played too much against the Warriors and was taking the day off to rest the knee. Players don't get suspended by the team when they don't even take action during the games. He did have 5 boards, 11 assists, 2 steals and 8 points against some very talented players in B. Davis & Monta Ellis.

If Larry Bird or JOB come out and say he was suspended then I'll believe but it takes more than Stephen Jackson trying to rile up some **** after a bitter loss.

Oh come on. I'm usually the last one to believe in conspiracy theory, but what in the heck would SJax have to gain by lying? As folks have said, if you're injured, you're at least riding the pine.

I think there's something here. He played less than 20 mins against the Kings, and he looked fine during that time. He sat out the whole second half, if I remember correctly.

Kemo
01-17-2008, 01:22 AM
I would absolutely be giddy as a schoolgirl if they are in trade talks to get rid of Tinsley ..

At the point guard position ,
I not only think we will do just fine without mel-mel , but I believe Diener with Owens , sometimes Quis (in VERY Ltd. situations) can really spark this team into the kind of Pacers team we all want... A WINNING , FUN team to watch...

Even when TD isnt shooting very good , and has made some bonehead moves this last GS game , he still played as good or better than if it were Tinsley in those minutes lol ...he still knows how to run a team , and given more court-time.. he will get his consistancy..... and when he does... I think it will surprise all of us ...

We just need to get rid of Tinsley for a 1st rd pick and some cap relief to be able to pay Rush , Diener and Quis a bit more money , and keep them in INDIANA !!

:D

Dr. Goldfoot
01-17-2008, 01:23 AM
I don't know but Pacer management maintained it was injury related. Why would they lie exactly? He did just come off the injured list last week.

granger33
01-17-2008, 01:30 AM
I don't know but Pacer management maintained it was injury related. Why would they lie exactly?
trade talks, that's why. I agree with Kemo, i think Diener (even when having a poor shooting night i.e. today) he can still be effective and push the tempo.

JT's time is up

jmoney2584
01-17-2008, 01:50 AM
We just need to get rid of Tinsley for a 1st rd pick and some cap relief to be able to pay Rush , Diener and Quis a bit more money , and keep them in INDIANA !!

:D
1st round pick...YES

I don't know about giving Quis THAT much more money honestly...I wouldn't break the bank on him thats for sure.

Maybe this is off track, but i was just thinking....if anyone has ever watched South Park on a consistent basis...doesn't Quis Daniels' hair look like "All Natural Indian Hair Tampons" ?

CableKC
01-17-2008, 01:53 AM

I maybe taking a stab in the dark....and could be totally wrong....but the first thing I thought of when I read SJax's comments was that this was his way at making a jab at the Pacers FO for trying to hide a suspension ( which doesn't reflect well on the team ) to Tinsley by saying that it's an injury.

Kemo
01-17-2008, 02:00 AM
ALSO to add.. Is it me , or does EVERYONE on the court seem to play better WITHOUT Tinsley running the plays??

I ABSOLUTELY DO !!!

EVEN J.O. plays to his potential (back to the JO we used to like watching play) ... on games he has felt better and played..
I am glad that JOB sat J.O. out .. to not risk further swelling/injury to that knee ..

But ya.. I think once he is healthy.. and Tinman out of the picture.. we wll see an awesome team to watch...

just my opinion though...

:dance::dance:

jmoney2584
01-17-2008, 02:01 AM
I would imagine that Tinsley and Jackson spoke via phone while Jack was in town. NBA players keep in touch all the time when their teams visit. Remeber JO and Sheed having dinner the day before playoff games and such?? I don't think it is completely off-base to assume that Tinsley spilled the beans to Jackson and Stephen, being Tinsleys boy DID take a jab at the FO either on his own accord or it was Tinsley vicariously through Jackson as a "I'll show you" type of thing.

Kemo
01-17-2008, 02:06 AM
I just think I found our answer .... cooberating the theory that someone made above... LOL..

I was reading J.O.B.'s post-game quote... and peep this ...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_080116.html

We need constant ball movement. When we move, we’re a pretty good basketball team. Jeff (Foster) and Troy (Murphy) they played exceptionally well. Jeff hasn’t played much lately, but he’s so professional, so upbeat and there is no pout in him.”

hmm no pout? .. why would JOB use that particular wording... "no pout in him".. I wonder which player on the team has pout in him... lmao.. ya If I were a betting man , I'd say that Jim is kinda dropping a hint....

JayRedd
01-17-2008, 03:01 AM
We just need to get rid of Tinsley for a 1st rd pick

Good luck with that.

andreialta
01-17-2008, 03:17 AM
2 things i saw from Tins that no one can compare to is :

1) the quick outlet pass after the rebound from like 90 feet

2) Posting up pointguards

thats it.. oh and maybe his great dribbling ability! hehe

Midcoasted
01-17-2008, 03:27 AM
I saw we trade Tinsley for a second round pick and the D League rights for Mateen Cleaves. Whatever happened to this guy? I cant believe he never made it. Maybe as our 3rd PG behind Diener and Owens Jim could polish him for this system.

Maybe Im just way off base here.

NuffSaid
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Let me just say this...

"Anyone who still thinks Tinsley's DNP-CD last night was soley because of his knee injury is simply in denial."

Even I've had a difference of opinion after reading SJax' comments on the matter but BEFORE reading the IndyStar post-game article. Yeah, the DNP was a combination of both injury and misbehavior, but make no mistake! The behavior was the main reason Tinsley didn't play and was absent from the bench.

The way I see it, the guy's an idiot! He's having an All-Star level year. Why would you conduct yourself in such was as to take away from that? Don't get me wrong. People (and I'm sure players and coaches, too) have disagreements all the time. But if you're on track to overshadow any negative off-court issues you might have by putting in good work on the court, why would you jeopardize that? Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever!

I think Tinsley's been in the dog house since the Phoenix game. Unless he gets his head out of his ***, he's bound to stay there.

Unclebuck
01-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I just think I found our answer .... cooberating the theory that someone made above... LOL..

I was reading J.O.B.'s post-game quote... and peep this ...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_080116.html

We need constant ball movement. When we move, we’re a pretty good basketball team. Jeff (Foster) and Troy (Murphy) they played exceptionally well. Jeff hasn’t played much lately, but he’s so professional, so upbeat and there is no pout in him.”

hmm no pout? .. why would JOB use that particular wording... "no pout in him".. I wonder which player on the team has pout in him... lmao.. ya If I were a betting man , I'd say that Jim is kinda dropping a hint....

Yes that stuck out like a sore thumb. But of course Tiinsley is pouting - if you watched any of the Kings game you saw that he was pouting on the bench. Then in Sundays game, Tinsley had his old attitude back, the bad attitude

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080117/SPORTS04/801170504

Did I miss this being posted? The official "Suspended because of film room incident" article on Tins.

The Indiana Pacers suspended Jamaal Tinsley for Wednesday night's game against Golden State following an incident during a film session one day earlier, The Star has learned.

edit: okay, it has it's own thread from 3 am. I just hadn't seen it mentioned over in this discussion which was odd to me.

AesopRockOn
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
ALSO to add.. Is it me , or does EVERYONE on the court seem to play better WITHOUT Tinsley running the plays??

I ABSOLUTELY DO !!!

I think Travis Diener has found PD.

hoopsforlife
01-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes that stuck out like a sore thumb. But of course Tiinsley is pouting - if you watched any of the Kings game you saw that he was pouting on the bench. Then in Sundays game, Tinsley had his old attitude back, the bad attitude

Maybe he had just watched the Colts lose. That was enough to give me a bad attitude for a day.

I wonder what he did at a film session to get suspended? I hope it didn't involve any guns this time.

Mourning
01-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I like the way Travis runs the team better anyway. What are the Tinsley supporters going to say now, who can they blame now. JT was given the keys to the car, Carlisle is long gone and he is up to his old tricks

Not too mention that they can't start a diversionary attack as AJ is long gone aswell.

indygeezer
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Not too mention that they can't start a diversionary attack as AJ is long gone aswell.

It's Diener's fault...all that hair makes Jamaal sick with envy.

Elgin56
01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah I agree whole heartedly. What does it say about his character if he faked injuries and just plain dogged it because he didn't like Rick. He is a malcontent from the top of his head to the floor he walks on and he will show his true colors in the future when things get rocky as they surely will.

Rick was not the problem and time will prove that he wasn't. Tins behavior while Rick was coach was juvenile and bordered on being devious. Has he changed? NO, he has not. He is like the little kid who throws a fit at the grocery store and pouts untill Mom gives in.

Putting faith in Tins is fools gold.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>
Last edited by Elgin56 : 12-21-2007 at 04:43 PM.

I tooooollllllld you so!
<!-- / edit note -->