PDA

View Full Version : A real loss to the Pacers fan family, the poster known as Sixthman and Pacerfan (realGM) has passed away

count55
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
It is my sad duty to inform you that Don Bardon, known as pacerfan on the RealGM board, died of cancer early this morning.

I know that there has been some cross-pollination between the boards, and, while I don't know what Don's username here was, I do know that he had spent some time on PD.

In any case, the Pacers have lost a great fan, and I thought that I'd let those of you who frequent both boards, or perhaps even knew Don, know of the loss.

owl
01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I am sorry to hear that. The Pacers are a way for us to get to know each other and
share our lives. Condolences to his family.

Revelation 21:4-5

....and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes and there shall no longer be any
death, there shall be no longer any mourning or crying or pain. The first things have passed
away. And he who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new. And he
said,"write for these words are faithful and true"

Gyron
01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't know if I knew him or not, because I don't frequent the RealGM boards, but this is sad to hear.

May he rest in peace.

Trader Joe
01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow, Pacerfan got me involved in Pacers boards on the internet. RIP.

sweabs
01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Very sad. R.I.P.

Hicks
01-14-2008, 12:12 PM
count55,

Thank you for letting us know. I never know what to say in these situations other than that I am sorry to hear it.

BostonConnection
01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Condolences to his family and loved ones.

andreialta
01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
R.I.P!!

Mourning
01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
That's sad to hear. May he rest in peace.

Lots of strength to his family, friends and other people that he had close ties with.

aero
01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I remember him from those forums. I used to look on there before i joined up here. Im very sorry to hear of his passing.

My condolences to his family & friends.

idioteque
01-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Very sad to hear. I am not sure I know who he is but we're all united as fans and it's terrible to see one of your own go. Condolences to his family and RIP.

wintermute
01-15-2008, 12:39 AM
i'm really sorry to hear about pacerfan's passing. in the sometimes unruly world of the realgm forums, his was always a voice of reason and sanity.

i believe his username here was "sixthman", which i guessed at based on similarity of posting style, but i'm not really sure.

Trader Joe
01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
i'm really sorry to hear about pacerfan's passing. in the sometimes unruly world of the realgm forums, his was always a voice of reason and sanity.

i believe his username here was "sixthman", which i guessed at based on similarity of posting style, but i'm not really sure.

Its possible. Sixthman predicted 41 wins for the Pacers as did pacerfan on realgm.

Hicks
01-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Now sixthman is a name I recognize more. He was an IS poster who I think occasionally posted here while never really preferring PD.

BoomBaby31
01-15-2008, 02:57 AM
I'm sure he'll have the best seat in the house for every Pacers game, here on out.

Trader Joe
01-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Jermaniac has confirmed that Sixthman and pacerfan were indeed one and the same.

Speed
01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Jermaniac has confirmed that Sixthman and pacerfan were indeed one and the same.

My deepest sympathy to the family and friends.

Raskolnikov
01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
I remember sixthman posting here. RIP...

BoomBaby33
01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm sure he'll have the best seat in the house for every Pacers game, here on out.

Very well stated, BB31.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Gyron
01-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Sixthman was a regular poster I think, he had over 1600 posts.

And to see he was last on here Jan. 6th.....

Sad to hear about his death.

N8R
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
R.I.P.

Unclebuck
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Oh man. Sixthman was always one of my favorites. That is so sad.

In fact in the award nominations I nominated Sixthman as someone who I wanted to post more often - this was in 2005

McKeyFan
01-15-2008, 12:21 PM

In fact in the award nominations I nominated Sixthman as someone who I wanted to post more often - this was in 2005

Yep.

Some posters I skip. Some I always read. I always read what Sixthman had to say.

Well, God bless him. Now he's starting.

avoidingtheclowns
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Bardon, John D.
January 15, 2008

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=59 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituaries/photos/87142.jpg</TD><TD width=10><SPACER type="block" width="10" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
John "Don" Douglas Bardon 65, Indianapolis, died January 13, 2008 of Melanoma. The son of John Alexander Bardon, Jr. and Angeline Ave Bardon, Don was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on October 28, 1942. He was raised in Clinton, Indiana, graduating from Schulte High School in Terre Haute, IN. Don was senior class president at Indiana State University. He received a BA from Indiana University and a Certificate in Public Management from IUPUI's SPEA graduate program. After college, he worked at WTWO-TV and WTHI Radio-TV Terre Haute as a writer, producer and investigative reporter. He then entered into politics and government, working for U.S. Senator Vance Hartke, Indiana Secretary of State Larry Conrad and Marion County Sheriff Larry Broderick. He served as Executive Secretary of the Highway Users Federation in the early 1970's, coordinating press and governmental relations. In 1978, Don was hired as Executive Vice President of the Indiana Jaycees and Jaycees Charitable Foundation. During his seven year tenure, he was named the outstanding national Jaycee Executive three years. Don opened his first Subway restaurant in 1986. Growing the family business to five stores over the past 20 years, his managers, staff and customers were some of his most loyal friends. Don spent one year teaching at St. Michael School, where he met his wife, Marilyn. They were married at St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Indianapolis on July 8, 1972. He continued to serve in many volunteer capacities at St. Michael Church throughout the years, receiving the Msgr. Albert Busald and St. John Bosco awards from the Archdiocese for his involvement in the CYO. He is survived by his sister, Laura Bardon; wife, Marilyn Wiwi Bardon; son, Jeb (Kristie Carter); daughter, Elizabeth (Tyron Hunt) and grandchildren, Trey and Emma Hunt, Zoe and Marina Bardon. Visitation will be at St. Michael Church, 3552 West 30th Street, Wednesday, January 16 from 4 to 8 p.m. Rite of Christian Burial will be at 10 a.m. on Thursday. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Michael School or Cardinal Ritter High School. Arrangements by Flanner & Buchanan Funeral Center - Washington Park North

http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituaries/index.php?action=show&id=87142

Trader Joe
01-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Unclebuck, when I first started posting at PD, I once thought that you and pacerfan might be the same person based on your style of posting. When I asked him on realgm, he said no, but that he was honored that I would compare to him someone with such great knowledge and dedication to the Pacers. He really seemed to like the idea that I would compare him to you. Just a cool little story about pacerfan/sixthman, that relates to PD.

Shade
01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
It's always additionally sad when you lose one of your own.

R.I.P. John/sixthman. You'll be missed. :(

Lord Helmet
01-15-2008, 05:22 PM
:(

ABADays
01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Sixthman was a regular poster I think, he had over 1600 posts.

And to see he was last on here Jan. 6th.....

Sad to hear about his death.

Sad, sad news. Dang, here on January 6 and passing so quickly. Wow. Prayers to his family.

count55
01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I posted this on RealGM and thought some of you may be interested:

Some of you know this and some of you don't, but it was my good fortune to know Don in the world outside of RealGM. Regrettably, I couldn't claim him as more than an acquaintance in real life. His wife was my 8th grade teach at St. Michael's. We also had a connection through my sister and brother-in-law, both of whom are active in St. Michael's parish, through which my brother-in-law came to work with Don for a number of years in Don's Subway franchises.

I had known from the moment my sister called me with the news that I would be going to pay my respects to Don and his family. However, the outpouring of genuine emotion from cyber-friends and strangers alike made it obvious that I had the opportunity to represent the community at his viewing. I don't know if many were aware of that there were pacerfan threads wishing condolences on the Lakers board, the Raptors board, and Pacers Digest. All told, there have been 187 posts on 18 pages at RealGM and another 27 posts at Pacers Digest.

The viewing was held at the Church at St. Michael's in Indianapolis from 4 to 8 yesterday afternoon. I arrived at about 5 minutes after 4 pm to find the parking lot filling up. When I went in the main entrance, I found the line already stretching from the altar all the way back to the front door. In the church itself, they had about 8 or 10 easels with giant posterboards on which they had lovingly put pictures of Don at various stages of his life. The first one you came to had a picture of pf in his Pacer sweatshirt. All of the pictures told the story of a good sports fan, passionate about Pacers and Colts and Cardinals, a good family man, passionate about his loved ones, and basically, just a good, good man. You would need only to see the ever-present 1,000-watt smile to understand that this was a man who understood how blessed he really was.

I stood in line, largely a stranger to most there, listening to the conversations going on around me. I was awestruck at the impact Don had and on the wealth of people whose lives he had touched. My wait was a little less than an hour, and by the time I left, the line had more than doubled in size, winding down into the basement of the church, and the parking lot and streets were filled to overflowing with cars.

I got to spend a brief moment or two with his son, Jeb, and his wife. I offered my personal condolences, then told them of the reaction here on RealGM and on PD. Both spoke of how much he loved coming here, and his wife asked that I get her these posts. When she sees these, it will be just more evidence of the wealth of kindness and decency that Don brought out in others.

As I left the church, I felt the sense of loss keenly. Oddly, it wasn't the loss of his presence that I regretted most. It was the lost opportunity I had to share more in his life. Those who knew and loved Don are hurting today, but they know they are the lucky ones.

pacerfan's last post was on November 9, a little before 9 AM. He last visited the site on December 30.

This is a hole that will never be filled.

goodbye, pf

goodbye, sixthman

Bball
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Very sad.

-Bball

GO!!!!!
01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
my sincere condelences and thoughts are with Mr Bardon's family

he will be missed by many

Kstat
01-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I remember sixthman. One of the up and coming posters a couple years back, always a bit of an enigma to me. Sad news.

R.I.P.

Hoop
01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
R.I.P.

odeez
01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
:angel: R.I.P :angel:

McKeyFan
01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, this is kinda different, but I was intrigued by my feelings of a virtual person in my world dying. So I decided to ask my priest about it (I'm Eastern Orthodox) and he gave an interesting reply.

Below is the exchange (You can read my priest's blog at FatherStephen.com)

Father Stephen:

I’ve been posting on a message board for about ten years. (Regarding an NBA basketball team, the Indiana Pacers. Whatever.)

We got the news today that a guy who posts on another board, “PacerFan” died. Ok. Slightly sad. Then we got the news that he goes by the name “Sixthman” on our board. We all know who he was. More said. But, obviously, not overwhelming.

What does it mean in this modern age of digital interaction with persons, when we “know” someone but never interact with them in body or voice? I just got to wondering what to think of it, and if there is an Orthodox perspective.

fatherstephen Says:
January 15, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Dean,

Thoughts about your friend, and “virtual relationships.” I could do a whole post on this, but I’ll spare you. I think that part of what is “godlike” about human beings is this capacity we have, even a need and a drive, to raise things to the level of personhood - and that given half a chance we’ll do it. Even if the relationship has no physical presence for us, we still can do this. It’s not as good as the relationship we know of each other that has the “whole person - body as well as soul” but it’s still something we human beings do. We do it to pets, we’ll do it to cartoons, etc.

I think this is a good impulse and completely in keeping with something good in us.

It’s opposite is the sinful drive to “depersonalize” which is something we do all too frequently - turning another person into less than person and objectifying them (usually so we can hurt them, etc.). Idolatry essentially has this component. It does not deal with God as person, but as object - which (though I know many do not understand this) is quite opposite of icons, where the person is not objectified but revealed to us. But that would take quite a post. Good to hear from you and hope all is well. May your friend pacerfan, may his memory be eternal.

Harddrive7
02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I think that I met him on the ESPN boards when I first started the whole forum thing. Very sad. I hope that he didn't suffer. Cancer is such a disgusting sickness.

Twes
02-21-2008, 11:55 AM
It sounds like Don lived well, was happy and had a lot of people celebrate his time here.

I tip my hat to Don, those who came before him and those that will surely follow.

Twes

Unclebuck
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I was just looking through some old threads from last season and evertime I saw a post from Sixthman - I just couldn't believe that he was gone

ChicagoJ
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Ugh. I come out of hiding and I see this. A belated condolence to my closest ally on PD's political boards, and to an astute poster on the Pacers as well. In my self-imposed exile and lack of time to follow NBA basketball closely, his name is on a (not very) short list of PD posters that I enjoyed my "virtual" friendship with.

Jay

McKeyFan
10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
When my Dad died, Sixthman gave the best response to the thread I started, telling the story of my father, who made headlines dying instantly in the pulpit preaching on heaven. He played for UCLA, and John Wooden made a comment for the funeral.

Sixthman: "It doesn't get any better than that: an endorsement from God and John Wooden."

A-Train
01-09-2009, 12:14 AM
It's been forever since I've checked in. Thank you for leaving this at the top of the board. Sixthman was certainly a big part of these message boards. He will be missed.

RWB
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Needed a bump for January...

Hicks
02-01-2012, 04:20 PM
What moved me the most was reading ABADays's post, reflecting on the death of Sixthman. I couldn't help but notice John's last signature, and I immediately wanted to make it my own.

Since undoubtedly I'll be changing my signature again eventually (though perhaps never removing the quote), let me (just in case) share it in this post: The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Steagles
02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I hate reading about the passing of a fellow fan and PD member, but it is a sad fact of life that everyone has their time. May he rest in peace and enjoy the game alongside Coach Wooden, Wilt and others.

We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8

RWB
01-14-2014, 04:57 PM
In memory of 6th man.