PDA

View Full Version : Champs No More

Shade
01-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Congrats to the Chargers. They simply outplayed us today and deserved the win.

Congrats to the Pats. I don't like them, and I don't respect them, but there's no doubt they'll be winning the Super Bowl now.

Farewell Dungy, and thanks for bringing us a championship. Even though your career ended in disappointment, I will never forget that we are the 2006 Super Bowl Champions.

Farewell Marvin? I really think his career may be over.

R.I.P. RCA Dome

:(

idioteque
01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
We'll always be the 2006 Champs, and to be honest with you I always just begged for one championship, and now of course I'm getting greedy but I guess that's only natural.

And how are you sure that Dungy is leaving?

Shade
01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
We'll always be the 2006 Champs, and to be honest with you I always just begged for one championship, and now of course I'm getting greedy but I guess that's only natural.

And how are you sure that Dungy is leaving?

I only really ever wanted one as well, but more than one is always better. ;)

Just a gut feeling about Dungy. I just think he's burned out.

Aw Heck
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, at least the Colts managed to win one. Before that, I wasn't so sure I'd live to see any Indiana sports team win any championship. I was really hoping that the Colts would win and establish themselves as one of the better teams of the decade. But now New England is gonna go and make a dynasty of themselves and completely overshadow the Colts. It's like adding insult to injury. This one is going to sting for a while.

I'm not so sure Dungy's leaving. But if he is, the Colts need to beg the hell out of Bill Cowher to come step in. I don't see it happening though. #1, I think Cowher really wants to spend at least a couple seasons away from the game and #2, I think the Colts would rather have Jim Caldwell step in and not have changes to a system that's already in place.

That said, I think an offer to coach a good team like the Colts would have to be pretty tempting to Cowher.

waterjater
01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I still can't comprehend how it is possible to lose this game, but with that said I figured we'd either win by 14+ or lose a close game. As soon as Marvin fumbled and they went down to score, I had a bad feeling all game long.

We made so many mistakes on defense it wasted all the help the officials gave us. It looked like they were trying to help us win to get that premier matchup, but no we somehow kept finding ways to mess it all up. Just feel like throwing up!

As for Dungy....not sure... but my gut tells me he won't like going out this pathetic way and come back to open up the new stadium he and his players helped build with their success on the field.

I thought we were the only team that had a shot at taking out the Patriots, but obviously we can't even beat an average San Diego team to get there. The only way the Pats lose now is if Brady goes down with an injury.

Still can't believe we lost.....can't grasp it....no way this should have happened...but it always seems to happen............................................ .........

water

TheDon
01-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm happy we won one, and to do it against the pats on our way through the way we did last year you couldn't have scripted a dream year any better.

The only reason I wanted us to win one more is cause I really refuse to believe Brady is better than Manning you can dig up stats, flash his rings, and call me a homer, whatever Manning is better. It also tickles me that I bet the network covering the AFCCG is pissed that they won't get the matchup they wanted and their won't be a crazy tremendous amount of hype going into the game.

I'm just gonna look forward to our next season in our pimp new stadium and hopefully a 2nd championship. :D

:goponies:

Moses
01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm happy we won one, and to do it against the pats on our way through the way we did last year you couldn't have scripted a dream year any better.

The only reason I wanted us to win one more is cause I really refuse to believe Brady is better than Manning you can dig up stats, flash his rings, and call me a homer, whatever Manning is better. It also tickles me that I bet the network covering the AFCCG is pissed that they won't get the matchup they wanted and their won't be a crazy tremendous amount of hype going into the game.

I'm just gonna look forward to our next season in our pimp new stadium and hopefully a 2nd championship. :D

:goponies:
Homer. :D:D

What it really came down to is the Colts defense and Marvin Harrison really didn't show up all game. And Peyton Manning didn't show up with the game on the line. San Diego is a very talented team, and they somehow always manages to get an ugly win against you guys much like Denver had done to NE the past few years. I'm somewhat disappointed now because I really think the Pats are going to blow the Chargers out. But I also thought the Colts would end up winning in a blowout...so you never really know.

idioteque
01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Homer. :D:D

What it really came down to is the Colts defense and Marvin Harrison really didn't show up all game. And Peyton Manning didn't show up with the game on the line. San Diego is a very talented team, and they somehow always manages to get an ugly win against you guys much like Denver had done to NE the past few years. I'm somewhat disappointed now because I really think the Pats are going to blow the Chargers out. But I also thought the Colts would end up winning in a blowout...so you never really know.

Pats-Chargers will be ugly, yes.

As for Marvin, I think he's done. I'd be really, really surprised to see him on the team next year. For WR right now we have a big hole that will hopefully be addressed.

Manning is a very, very good QB and might have somewhat better numbers than Brady, but I'd still rather have Brady for a big game like today. Peyton Manning to me is the second best QB in the league, he may have more talent so to say than Brady, but Brady is always there when it counts. Manning, not so much. But Peyton did play pretty well today, he wasn't the reason we lost and we should have never been in that position to have to win the game for us. It was a combination of bad defense and some bad breaks.

If we don't address our nascent pass rush and don't fill any hole at WR during the offseason, enjoy your few years of AFC and probably league dominance. And I called you a troll one time I think, which you're not, sorry about that :blush:

Rajah Brown
01-13-2008, 06:30 PM
No pass rush was teh killer on D. Cover-2 only works well when
the DL generates pressure. No Freeney hurt a ton.

Offensively, too many points left on the field in the red zone.

No clue if Dungy will be back. If not, Caldwell will be da man.

Marvin ? That'll be interesting. If he was any other WR at his
age and compensation, he'd probably be cut to save a bunch
of $$$. But considering his career here, that likely won't
happen.

BoomBaby31
01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
We are the champs of 2006. I don't care if Dungy leaves. I HOPE the Giants or GB upset the Pats. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats have two straight undefeated seasons, though. Unless we start spending some money in the free agency market, signing big time Defensive players and Tall receivers no one is stopping them.

Young
01-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I would be suprised to see Marvin back, Dungy too. More of a gut feeling with Dungy.

Will be interesting to see what is done this off season. Not just because of the Marvin situation but because the Colts don't have their first round pick this draft.

What wide receiver should the Colts go after? Draft, trade, free agency, whatever. Who do you guys think would be good to add to the team?

Sollozzo
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Harrison was awful today and couldn't even play the most 2 important drives of the season. But that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has followed his injury for the past 3 or so months. It's not like he was going to magically swoop in there and pick up 100 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

Harrison clearly wasn't ready to play today. We would have been better off without him. I can't help but think the spin move was to show everyone that he could be effective. He wasn't even hit that hard.

Thanks for everything, Marvin, but there is a time for every athlete to hang it up. Maybe your time has come, though I certainly hope not.

Lord Helmet
01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I think we need to re-sign and get as many players that we want under contract.

We should continue to draft defense, get healthy, look forward to 2008 campaign.

RWB
01-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Harrison was awful today and couldn't even play the most 2 important drives of the season. But that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has followed his injury for the past 3 or so months. It's not like he was going to magically swoop in there and pick up 100 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

Harrison clearly wasn't ready to play today. We would have been better off without him. I can't help but think the spin move was to show everyone that he could be effective. He wasn't even hit that hard.

Thanks for everything, Marvin, but there is a time for every athlete to hang it up.

Yeah as much as it hurts to say it's time for Marvin to step down. Anthony G looks like he should be able to step in and I've been impressed with Houz with the time he's in there. Offense will be fine, it's the defense and we are going to have to find a corner that has some height and speed.

ABADays
01-13-2008, 08:50 PM
We got beat by their scrubs.

Sollozzo
01-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I think Dungy and Polian thought they were cute by keeping opponents guessing about Harrison. That kind of backfired today.

Aw Heck
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
We got beat by their scrubs.
That's what stings the most. LT didn't play the 2nd half and Rivers sat out most of the half too. And the defense STILL couldn't get some necessary stops. I don't care if Billy Volek is a solid backup, he's still a backup.

tora tora
01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Wtf happened to Peyton in the last minutes of the 4th? What a choke job, he should be ashamed of himself.

Young
01-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Wtf happened to Peyton in the last minutes of the 4th? What a choke job, he should be ashamed of himself.

Why because he went for the home run play? It's not like we could still score once we got inside the 20.

BoomBaby31
01-13-2008, 11:53 PM

Explain this to me?
Was it the dropped pass to Clark, or the drop pass to Wayne? The fumble by Marvin, the Dropped pass by Keith? Peyton couldn't of thrown them any softer or better to any of those receivers. This isn't Peyton's fault, give me a break, blame it on anyone expect Peyton.

Shade
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
No matter what happens, someone always wants to lay the blame on Peyton.

Nobody's perfect (except Brady, apparently). But this loss was 90% on the defense.

avoidingtheclowns
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Explain this to me?
Was it the dropped pass to Clark, or the drop pass to Wayne? The fumble by Marvin, the Dropped pass by Keith? Peyton couldn't of thrown them any softer or better to any of those receivers. This isn't Peyton's fault, give me a break, blame it on anyone expect Peyton.

i'm blaming it on my friend beth. feel free to join me.

Shade
01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
i'm blaming it on my friend beth. feel free to join me.

You suck, Beth! :tongue:

Bball
01-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Beth has been shaky all year! It really caught up with the team today.

-Bball

Bball
01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah as much as it hurts to say it's time for Marvin to step down. Anthony G looks like he should be able to step in and I've been impressed with Houz with the time he's in there. Offense will be fine, it's the defense and we are going to have to find a corner that has some height and speed.

I'm not ready to entirely send him out to pasture yet, but I have a feeling there's a knee surgery in his future that was put off because it would've certainly ended his season and the Colts didn't want to do that... and there was a chance time and rehab could get him well enough to contribute.

But at Marvin's age, does he really want to go thru all of that? He doesn't need to unless this season bother's him as being the final chapter. And, even IF he does WANT to do whatever it takes to comeback next season, is his body going to cooperate? Maybe part of the problem this season was that Marvin didn't want the surgery in the first place?

And lastly, can we (Colts) afford to wait and find out?

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
01-14-2008, 12:52 AM
If I hadn't seen Manning come up big with some plays vs the Pats last year I would be 100% convinced that he is in fact a big-game choker. And it's not those drops or the 88 fumble, its the number of double coverage forces he through, the quick pass behind Keith, and other very forced looking choices.

I love him as the QB, I'll live with losses like this because he's fun to root for, but it's hard not to notice all these big losses IN INDY. TEN, PIT, SD...I mean playoff losing on the road I get, but repeatedly coming up short in your own house?

Of course as said the real fault was on the defense, there is no way the SD backups should run the field on you like that. And the Colts running game, also totally missing.

I know we had the dream year, but we didn't even get to enjoy that fully because most of it was spent with a defense giving up 300 rushing yards a game and driving fans like Shade to proclaim certain disaster in the playoffs (for good reason).

It's like we got this mini-miracle run of one month paired with about a decade of coming up short per the normal Indy pattern. Just like the Pacers losing all those ECFs, even with home court vs the Knicks and Pistons.

I mean what is it with this city. We even were the place where F1 decided to have a tire protest. Not France, not Canada, not Germany.

We aren't losers, we're win-teases. It's worse than just not having a team or always being down. It's like a shot to the ruts over and over.

I mean it's not even just our own losing, it's the Knicks, Bulls, Pistons, Steelers and Patriots having all this success in place of Indy. Not only do the teams lose, they appear to be headed for a certain win first, then lose and watch the main rival not just win but do it over and over.

I mean I guess hurray that the Knicks didn't win a title at our expense. That's the freaking positive in all this.

That is except for one month to start 2007. The month the Indy-hating gods took a vacation.

Naptown_Seth
01-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Marvin's spin wasn't to show anyone anything, that's just one of his go-to moves so naturally he went to it. He wasn't quite ready for game contact.

Why does everyone assume he's permanently broken? Dwight was out longer and more definitely, guess the Colts cut him too.

Maybe let's see how these injuries heal first.

I mean talk about fixing things, just how big would the addition of 88, 94, 93 be to this team. Rob was the best LB of the bunch till he got hurt, Dwight is a monster that makes Mathis look like a monster too, and obviously up till now Marv has been one of the best WR ever.

Good luck drafting anyone that can come in and have that kind of impact next season.

SoupIsGood
01-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah but we still need more passrushers either way. Freeney and Rawb and Marvin can all come back 100%, and that doesn't change the fact that our DE depth blows.

We need another passrusher. We lost the NE game this year because we had no rush after Freeney and Mathis were gassed. We need more guys that can get to the QB. Maybe Dawson can eventually do some of that for us, but we need a backup DE that can get in there on third downs for us.

It's weird how the Colt's d-line can't rush the passer now. We used to be great at the passrush while giving up a million yards a game to opposing RBs. Now our run defense is at least average, but we couldn't get to the QB to save our souls.

Sollozzo
01-14-2008, 01:34 AM
If I hadn't seen Manning come up big with some plays vs the Pats last year I would be 100% convinced that he is in fact a big-game choker. And it's not those drops or the 88 fumble, its the number of double coverage forces he through, the quick pass behind Keith, and other very forced looking choices.

I love him as the QB, I'll live with losses like this because he's fun to root for, but it's hard not to notice all these big losses IN INDY. TEN, PIT, SD...I mean playoff losing on the road I get, but repeatedly coming up short in your own house?

Of course as said the real fault was on the defense, there is no way the SD backups should run the field on you like that. And the Colts running game, also totally missing.

I know we had the dream year, but we didn't even get to enjoy that fully because most of it was spent with a defense giving up 300 rushing yards a game and driving fans like Shade to proclaim certain disaster in the playoffs (for good reason).

It's like we got this mini-miracle run of one month paired with about a decade of coming up short per the normal Indy pattern. Just like the Pacers losing all those ECFs, even with home court vs the Knicks and Pistons.

I mean what is it with this city. We even were the place where F1 decided to have a tire protest. Not France, not Canada, not Germany.

We aren't losers, we're win-teases. It's worse than just not having a team or always being down. It's like a shot to the ruts over and over.

I mean it's not even just our own losing, it's the Knicks, Bulls, Pistons, Steelers and Patriots having all this success in place of Indy. Not only do the teams lose, they appear to be headed for a certain win first, then lose and watch the main rival not just win but do it over and over.

I mean I guess hurray that the Knicks didn't win a title at our expense. That's the freaking positive in all this.

That is except for one month to start 2007. The month the Indy-hating gods took a vacation.

Well, we did eliminate the Knicks just as many times they did us (3). Of course the one that stings for Pacer fans will always be 1999. Understandably so.

The Steelers have only won one Superbowl (05) since their heydays in the 70's. So it's not exactly as if they have racked up the championships at ours or anyone elses expense. We've had just as much success as they have had in recent years.

Your comments seem to be in jest, but there are definitely no gods, no fate, or no curses. It's sports. When you go deep enough into the playoffs, you're going to meet teams that are really good themselves. And teams that come from cities who think that they are just as deserving as your city does.

Maybe we've just had one perfect month or so in recent Indy sports, but it was one hell of a month and I'll never forget it. It was the funnest month I've ever had as far as entertainment (outside of personal things that *really* matter).

Philadelphia has twice as many sports teams as Indy but hasn't won a major sports championship since 1983. I'm sure they'd kill for the month that Indy had. New York has by my count 6 major sports team, but they haven't celebrated a championship since the Yankees 00 WS, which is the city's only title in the 21st century.

Atlanta-I'm scratching my head trying to come up with what they have won in recent years, all I can come up with is the Braves 95 title. Phoenix? The Dbacks won it in 01, but there hasn't been anything else besides that in recent years. Seattle? Nothing in a long time.

I'm sure the title starved people in Cleveland would kill to have their gods fall asleep and allow them to have the month that we had from early Jan to early Feb 2007. Wasn't their last championship the Browns title in 1964?

Indy hasn't faired off too bad. We've had our heartache, but most cities have. I feel your pain about the Pacers. Looking back on those years it really is torturous that we didn't come up with a ring. We were so good for such an extended period of time. But we were fortunate with the Colts last year. And I still think that the Colts will come up with atleast one more championship during Manning's career here.

Sollozzo
01-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Marvin's spin wasn't to show anyone anything, that's just one of his go-to moves so naturally he went to it. He wasn't quite ready for game contact.

Why does everyone assume he's permanently broken? Dwight was out longer and more definitely, guess the Colts cut him too.

Maybe let's see how these injuries heal first.

I mean talk about fixing things, just how big would the addition of 88, 94, 93 be to this team. Rob was the best LB of the bunch till he got hurt, Dwight is a monster that makes Mathis look like a monster too, and obviously up till now Marv has been one of the best WR ever.

Good luck drafting anyone that can come in and have that kind of impact next season.

I don't know. Marvin usually seems to dive in those situations. He rarely seems to do foolish things that could cost the team a turnover. But I don't fault him for the spin because I know he was trying out there. But he clearly wasn't ready to play today.

After reading Marvin's post game comments, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But can't we all admit that this injury was more serious than the Colts ever let on? I mean come on, he shouldn't have been out there today and wasn't even allowed to play the last couple of drives.

Freeney will be 28 next season. Marv will be 36. Big difference. Freeney is also undergoing surgery, which will hopefully mean that he will be completely fixed and ready to go. Marvin might not want to go through a surgery at his age (understandably so). It seems to be possible that his knee might not ever completely heal as far as being able to undertake a full football game. Now hopefully he doesn't need a surgery. But I think it's possible that the Colts and Harrison are trying to avoid surgery at all costs. He couldn't heal completely in 3 and a half months, so I think it's possible that it is something that could still be aggrivating him once camp rolls around.

tdubb03
01-14-2008, 02:51 AM
I wonder if the fact that the horrible Hoosier Dome concrete field is gone will effect whatever decision Marvin makes.

grace
01-14-2008, 03:00 AM
But this loss was 90% on the defense.

I'd say it was more like 65%. The other 35% was the fact that Archie was at the game and Olivia was in Dallas with Eli.

grace
01-14-2008, 03:01 AM
I wonder if the fact that the horrible Hoosier Dome concrete field is gone will effect whatever decision Marvin makes.

It's been field turf for at least 2 years.

RWB
01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Please don't think I'm saying Marvin isn't worth anything, but his production was dropping off anyway. IMHO Super Marvin was looking closer to mortal Marvin with a few more dropped balls and catches he would normally make starting with last season.

naptownmenace
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Explain this to me?

:amen:

As soft as the defense was today, the reason they lost was all the dropped passes that would've lead to first downs or in the case of Keith a possible TD.

They had several chances to score but the 3 turnovers were unforced errors on the Colts part. It wasn't the Chargers "D" that beat us. They just gave them the ball 3 times down near the red zone. If they had even got just 2 FGs out of those 3 trips they would've won the game.

Ugh. :sad:

I'm not sure if Dungy will retire but I wouldn't bet on it. The same goes for Marvin. I don't think he's done. I just think he really needed surgery but held out in hope he could get healthy. It didn't work out, I'm not gonna blame him for that and I think he could very well come back next year and be healthy. We'll have to wait and see - he's earned the right to be back next year for all that he's done for us.

Hicks
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
This was one of the simplest games for me to explain: The Chargers executed better than the Colts.

Sollozzo
01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
I used to think that Marvin was like steel. I think it's obvious now, however, that he has been very fortunate and has been slick when it comes to diving away from hits. Marvin is a pretty small guy. If Marvin would have taken the hit that Reggie did yesterday, he would have probably had to have been carted off in 5 different pieces.

I think he is one major hit away from his career being finished.

The decision to not bring him back until today was a serious coaching blunder. They definitely should have played him against Tennessee to gage how he was. If what happens yesterday happens in the Tennessee game, then atleast the game is meaningless and they would have been able to see that he clearly wasn't ready. I would rather see the writing on the wall in a meaningless regular season game than when the season is on the line. Bringing him back in a game like this where there is such a high risk of him losing a ball was a bad decision.

Unfortunately, those of us who saw through the smoke and mirrors of Dungy and Polian when it came to Harrison were right all along. The guy clearly wasn't ready to play yesterday.

SoupIsGood
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I think Marvin will be fine next year. Not as good as he was in his prime, but certainly workable. He'll be our clear-cut 2nd best receiver though.

I expect Marvin to play one or two more years while we figure out who is going to take his spot on this offense. Personally I'm not sure that we really need 3 starting-quality WR's -- doesn't Peyton prefer the 2 TE set over the 3 WR, usually? I say we try to draft and develop another TE. Two good TE's (Clark and Whoever) with Wayne and Gonzo and Addai out there would be pretty darned good.

Over on rats people sometimes hope that Roy Hall will pan out as a TE. That would certainly be nice.

waterjater
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I've been thinking more and more about this bye week fiasco that keeps befelling our team and one sleepness night having nightmares that the Chargers beat us over and over again.

Our defense is predicated on speed, positioning and timing. When watching college bowl games, the defense is always what takes longest to get back together also. The layoff throws our timing off and we typically don't get it back in time to win the game. As for last year, they just kept playing....no breaks and we took it all the way. Maybe this layoff and its impact on the defense is why we keep F-ing up the bye weeks.

Pittsburgh jumped on us early a couple years back, this year we were just out of synch all day. I can't remember the other game, but I would assume the same. In addition we made tons of uncharacteristic mistakes in this game.

As for Marvin:
1) If he just falls down to avoid the contact like normal, then no one is upset
2) He will be coming back next year and he'll be just fine (assuming the knee responds)
3) Marvin should've been on the field when we got near the end zone (AT LEAST AS A DECOY!!)...he commands attention even at half speed.

Dungy- 50/50 on his return. Our defensive coach never made the proper adjustments and he really needs to evaluate his performance and learn from this. Tired of blowing games we should win.

Water

jeffg-body
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I think our areas to be addressed will be special teams, wide reciever and the best available players. Our D-line will be nice next year with DF, Mathis, Bi Ed and Booger back in the fold. We don't have a lot of needs per say, but Marvin is getting long in the tooth and maybe a future heir apparent should be looked at with the 2nd rounder. James Hardy would look nice in a Colts uniform. He's a nice deep threat and would fill that void nicely and allow our other weapons to remain at their roles once Marvin has decided to end his hall of fame career with retirement.

Possibly coaching if coach Dungy decides to call it a career and go do some of the good things he has said he planned to do when he has the time. I like Ron Meeks in that area.

ABADays
01-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Champs no more. Better than never being the Champs. And oh yeah, Beth sucks.

Bball
01-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Champs no more. Better than never being the Champs. And oh yeah, Beth sucks.

The more I think about it, the madder I get at Beth.

-Bball

Gyron
01-15-2008, 05:23 PM
You mean Beth was the cause of all this?????

Damnit, Beth what the HELL????