PDA

View Full Version : Heat Protest Is Granted

Cactus Jax
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/protest_080111.html

That could end up really sucking for the Hawks if they manage to lose this game when it gets replayed.

Guess this is as close as you'll get to an NBA double-header.

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/protest_080111.html

That could end up really sucking for the Hawks if they manage to lose this game when it gets replayed.

Guess this is as close as you'll get to an NBA double-header.

Awesome. They should play it live on Sportscenter.

Kofi
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Is this an unprecedented move? I've certainly never heard of any portion of an NBA game being replayed.

Shade
01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Wow. Never heard of such a thing in the NBA before.

Gyron
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
According to the Article, the last time this happened was in 1982. Adn the team that protested(Spurs) ended up winning when they replayed the time alloted.

ajbry
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
This could end up really backfiring for both teams if the Heat win. They need to lose (Derrick Rose) and the Hawks need to win (playoffs).

Another hilarious decision by Stern.

Cactus Jax
01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
This could end up really backfiring for both teams if the Heat win. They need to lose (Derrick Rose) and the Hawks need to win (playoffs).

Another hilarious decision by Stern.

This was the right move though. The Hawks scorekeepers clearly screwed up, and when the refs tried to fix it, they wanted no part of it. Its not just about hiring players, everyone has to be held accountable and unfortunately for the Hawks it could really ruin possible shots at playoff seeding or making it at all.

maragin
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I think this is fantastic. I wonder what the Vegas line on something like this is.

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I think this is fantastic. I wonder what the Vegas line on something like this is.

I'd set the over/under at 7. And take the under.

D23
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Really random question here... but wasn't there something else rather recently (within the last season or two) involving the Hawks scoring staff making a stupid mistake? I've been trying to find it, but I could be imagining it... or thinking of another team.

EDIT: Found it! http://thestar.blogs.com/jabs/2006/11/were_waiting.html
From November of last season...

Here we are, nearly four days removed from Friday night's scorer's table debacle in Atlanta. Hello, NBA? Anybody home?

Perhaps the long weekend in the U.S. has something to do with the league's slow response, but as long as the league delays, it amounts to a p.r. disaster. If the checks and balances in place to keep a proper score fail, and during a close game as well, and in a manner in which the game's entire complexion is changed, what do you do?

So far, the NBA's answer is: nothing.

Here's the relevant rule, which would indicate that it's over:

Rule No. 2, section VI (d): Errors which occur in the fourth period or overtime(s) must be discovered and rectified prior to the end of the period.

Replaying the final 4 1/2 minutes next time the Raptors are in Atlanta on Feb. 2, given that the game turned on the missing basket, would be the fairest course. And by then, we can all chip in and buy Sam Mitchell a ticket to the game.

But it's just about a given that the Hawks will be fined. When is the question.

UPDATE: E-mail from the NBA arrived at 3:47 p.m., and I apologize for the slow reply but I was caught in a meeting: According to the league, the review of the play in question and Friday's game is complete: "A mistake was obviously made but the score will remain as is," said an NBA spokesman in an email. I'll try and get more on this and post it here in an update.

UPDATE II: NBA spokesman Tim Frank said no fine would be assessed to the Hawks, whose scorers' table made the error (meantime, the NBA-responsibility referees crew missed it, and so did the Raptors, who can answer only to themselves for their ignorance - total breakdown at all corners) in missing T.J. Ford's basket with 4+ minutes to go, which the NBA agrees was the pivotal play. Frank: "Our philosophy has been once they come off the floor, the score stands ... it's obviously not something you want to see happen."

My take: Either the Hawks have been fined but no one's saying, or the blame can be distributed so evenly by the NBA's basketball operations department (who did the review) that they figured hell, just go with the score.

One thing, though: The score was wrong, and it impacted on the result. Bad call, NBA.
A W-L swing, and it's been sloughed off. Just wondering: How would this have played out if it had have involved New York, say, or the Lakers?
Perhaps Atlanta needs a new scorers' table staff?

NuffSaid
01-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Wait a minute! This doesn't make any sense whatsoever!!

If you review the play-by-play for that game (http://www.nba.com/games/20071219/MIAATL/playbyplay.html), what you'll see is at the 3:26 mark in the 4Q, Shaq was called for his 6th foul, but he was still in the game! He didn't rotate out until 1:06 mark of regulation when he was substituted for Dorell Wright!

What's even more perplexing is Shaq started in OT!! He played until he was once again replaced by Wright at the 1:32 mark of OT. Shaq was substituted back in at the 1:05 and then substituted out for the last time for Daequann Cook at the :51 second mark where the record shows that Shaq was then called for his 5th - NOT 6th! - foul.

So, where was the unfair advantage by the Hawks? The Heat had full access to their 2nd leading scorer for all of regulation and most of OT! I don't get Stern's granting of this protest at all...except, of course, for the fact that Shaq is a marquee player and the Heat are a marquee team. :rolleyes:

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
What's even more perplexing is Shaq started in OT!! He played until he was once again replaced by Wright at the 1:32 mark of OT. Shaq was substituted back in at the 1:05 and then substituted out for the last time for Daequann Cook at the :51 second mark where the record shows that Shaq was then called for his 5th - NOT 6th! - foul.

So, where was the unfair advantage by the Hawks? The Heat had full access to their 2nd leading scorer for all of regulation and most of OT! I don't get Stern's granting of this protest at all...except, of course, for the fact that Shaq is a marquee player and the Heat are a marquee team. :rolleyes:

That's the point...Shaq shouldn't have ever been disqualified. He only recorded 5 fouls not 6. But the scorers kicked him out of the game erroneously.

So, therefore, they replay the final 51 seconds with the score as it was at the time and Diesel gets to play. What happens, happens.

Is is stupid? Of course. Is it awesome? Of course again.

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
So this means a team can lose twice to an opponent in 3 hours? That's great.

Ragnar
01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
We should have been able to replay the Larry Johnson 4 point play game from that point. *******s.

Eindar
01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I think it's interesting that they're going to replay the OT game BEFORE the regularly scheduled game. Considering that the whole point is to re-do that game as closely as possible, shouldn't they be replaying that game AFTER the normal game? That way, players are tired, and it's truly OT on the players bodies.

Hell, this way, they won't even be in a rhythm.

NuffSaid
01-11-2008, 08:41 PM
That's the point...Shaq shouldn't have ever been disqualified. He only recorded 5 fouls not 6. But the scorers kicked him out of the game erroneously.

So, therefore, they replay the final 51 seconds with the score as it was at the time and Diesel gets to play. What happens, happens.

Is is stupid? Of course. Is it awesome? Of course again.
But don't YOU see? Even if you read the original play-by-play (which has been corrected since my post above), Shaq was never charged with his 6th foul in OT. Usually, the play-by-play will indicated that a player has fouled out when he is charged w/his 6th foul. So, if you were to go by the play-by-play, you'd probably have been just as confused as I was.

I could see if the play-by-play had listed Shaq w/his 5th foul at the 3:26 mark in regulation and then turned around and hit him with his 6th in OT, but that's not how the play-by-play originally read. Instead, it had Shaq charged w/his 6th foul in regulation and his 5th foul in OT, which would indicated they had corrected their oversight. But I get what you're saying now that the play-by-play has been corrected.

Haslem was correctly charged with the foul in the 4Q at the 3:24, yet the scorer's table still had Shaq w/his 5th foul in regulation and counted his 6th foul against him in OT. And thus, Shaq fouled out by their count. Gotcha!

Hoop
01-11-2008, 08:49 PM
We should have been able to replay the Larry Johnson 4 point play game from that point. *******s.Good Point, it was ONLY a game to see who goes to the NBA finals. The Hawks vs Heat game is just a some what meaningless regular season game. PHUCK THE NBA!

Lord Helmet
01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Good Point, it was ONLY a game to see who goes to the NBA finals. The Hawks vs Heat game is just a some what meaningless regular season game. PHUCK THE NBA!
The NBA is a joke. I seriously don't know how I continue to watch it.

Hicks
01-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I think it's interesting that they're going to replay the OT game BEFORE the regularly scheduled game. Considering that the whole point is to re-do that game as closely as possible, shouldn't they be replaying that game AFTER the normal game? That way, players are tired, and it's truly OT on the players bodies.

Hell, this way, they won't even be in a rhythm.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking about: What about fatigue? Will they also bring back the foul situation for all players? Will Shaq have 5 fouls, for instance?

Oneal07
01-11-2008, 11:26 PM
lol

Shade
01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
The irony in all of this is that Shaq generally commits 6 or more fouls in every game, but rarely gets called for them all.

BoomBaby31
01-12-2008, 12:53 AM
This would be very interested if anyone in Vegas lost a ton of money on this game and wanted to protest it as well.

Karmakillaz
01-12-2008, 02:03 AM
We should have been able to replay the Larry Johnson 4 point play game from that point. *******s.

But that is where logic fails you! Your forget that NBA officials never make a mistake, the Atlanta situation was not their fault but the sorers table. It was the Scorers table who kicked Shaq out despite the valiant efforts of the officiating crew.

dohman
01-12-2008, 02:10 AM
So do they put all the players on a tredmill for 48 min and then let them play?

Also who is picking up the bill to pay all the players? I am sure their contract says 82 games a season so do they get paid for the extra time they will be playing?

This is be a very costly mistake when you take into account ref's, players, travel,

Moses
01-12-2008, 02:52 AM
This is ridiculous. As others have pointed out, Shaq gets away with 15 offensive fouls a game as is..so I don't really see the problem here.

Mourning
01-12-2008, 04:26 AM

I don't want to think of that "thing" again :shudder:.

;)

Shade
03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Just a quick :bump: to this, since the replayed 51.9 seconds will be happening tomorrow.

The irony in all this is, Shaq isn't even a member of the Heat anymore. :lol:

indygeezer
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Just a quick :bump: to this, since the replayed 51.9 seconds will be happening tomorrow.

The irony in all this is, Shaq isn't even a member of the Heat anymore. :lol:

Ya beat me to it....how do they handle that?

Wu-Gambino
03-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm pulling for the Hawks to make the playoffs. I know they'll get blown out by Boston by 20 or so every game, but at least they would have a young team that might make one or two games exciting.

Ragnar
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Ya beat me to it....how do they handle that?

They should have made Shaq fly in and play for the Heat for the end of that game.

OnlyPacersLeft
03-07-2008, 04:55 PM
imagine if they get both w's cause the heat blow...they move past NJ for the 8th spot! lol

carpediem024
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
If they're replaying the :51 seconds they should have Shaq there.

What would the point be if he isnt! :cool:

LoneGranger33
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot how important that minute is to the playoff chase.

Trader Joe
03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Is Marion allowed to play?

GrangerRanger
03-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Yes.

idioteque
03-08-2008, 11:13 AM

I actually think the last time this happened the two teams had made a trade between the game and the replay and there were some players that were essentially playing for a different team in what was the same game.

Can anyone shed more light on this? I remember it being discussed on this board, I don't think I'm crazy.

Big Smooth
03-09-2008, 01:39 AM

The NBA granted permission to both Marion and Mike Bibby to participate a few days ago.

And the results are in.......Hawks still win the first game 114-111 (instead of 117-111 the first time around) then win the nightcap 97-94. Two wins in one night, not bad. :D

Bball
03-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Was there any reason in the world for Miami to even try and win this 'makeup minute'?

...Other than it was their protest that got them the opportunity in the first place... But I have to wonder if it was more a 'be careful what you wish for' scenario in the end.

-Bball