PDA

View Full Version : Harrison suspended for 5 games-drugs

Elgin56
01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Maybe this is the reason he acts like he is mental.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50247/20080111/pacers_harrison_suspended_for_violating_anti_drug_ program/

Bball
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Surprise Surprise....

..Not...

-Bball

indygeezer
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe this is the reason he acts like he is mental.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50247/20080111/pacers_harrison_suspended_for_violating_anti_drug_ program/

A scandal involving a Pacer player????:eek:

I'm schocked.

:censored::censored::censored:

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Maybe he was taking Ritalin, who knows...

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
OK, where is the news here.

Kick him off the team

Arcadian
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
5 games means it isn't his first offense, correct?

Trader Joe
01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Harrison is toast.

Roy Munson
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
A scandal involving a Pacer player????:eek:

I'm schocked.

:censored::censored::censored:

Maybe all this is really a good omen for the "Jail-Pacers".

Five years ago, Portland Jailblazers (really bad team) -- >> now Cleanblazers (really good team).

Now, Indiana Jailpacers (semi-bad team) -->> five years from now, CleanPacers (really good team)??

d_c
01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
5 games means it isn't his first offense, correct?

someone else mentioned that the 1st offense is just a warning, the 2nd offense is a fine and the 3rd offense is a 5 game suspension.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Is alcohol included in the NBA drug policy?

Peck
01-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Maybe all this is really a good omen for the "Jail-Pacers".

Five years ago, Portland Jailblazers (really bad team) -- >> now Cleanblazers (really good team).

Now, Indiana Jailpacers (semi-bad team) -->> five years from now, CleanPacers (semi-good team)??

Corrected

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Is alcohol included in the NBA drug policy?

No.

Tom White
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
OK, where is the news here.

Kick him off the team

If whatever drug he took falls into the category that most of us think of when we hear "drugs" (grass, coke, etc.), then I agree. However, if it simply a "dietary suppliment" sort of drug then a suspension is OK - With the understanding that if it happens again, he is gone. I know hoping it is not of the first category may be wishful thinking, but the story does not tell us WHAT he took.

Tom White
01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
someone else mentioned that the 1st offense is just a warning, the 2nd offense is a fine and the 3rd offense is a 5 game suspension.

I thought the NBA had a "3 strikes and your out" rule. Am I wrong about that?

Oneal07
Reserve center David Harrison has been suspended five games by the NBA for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program, the league announced today.

"We are very disappointed with the news that David Harrison has been suspended," Larry Bird, Pacers President of Basketball Operations, said in a statement released by the team. "This is a private matter and we will do what we can to provide David any help going forward."

Harrison’s suspension will begin with Saturday night’s game when the Pacers visit the Sacramento Kings. Under the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, only the NBA can discipline a player for violations of the anti-drug program.

The fourth-year center from Colorado is averaging 12.8 minutes, 4.4 points and 2.2 rebounds in 27 games this season. He will be eligible to return when the Pacers play in Chicago on Jan. 23.

Pacers.com

. . .Atleast Stepehen Graham can get some PT now lol

Harrison is an idiot, I'm sorry, he's in his final contract year, and he does this LOL. He's done.

Shade
1) This is no major surprise.
2) Harrison's NBA career is likely over at the end of this season.

All I can say is THANK GOD this came out before we re-upped him next season.

Dr. Goldfoot
This is a serious blow to our frontline. David Harrison should have been suspended for being a lazy, crappy, unprepared, injury prone, hot-tempered, booksmart not hoops smart boob long before the NBA's war on drugs ever got ahold of him.

Oneal07
01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
This is a serious blow to our frontline. David Harrison should have been suspended for being a lazy, crappy, unprepared, injury prone, hot-tempered, booksmart not hoops smart boob long before the NBA's war on drugs ever got ahold of him.

We're going small ball now. So it's not like he's going to play anyways. Maybe we can trade him to the Blazers for Travis Outlaw :)

Naptown_Seth
01-11-2008, 01:53 PM

1) sure it is, shouldn't that pot mellow him out...or has it been!!! Dear god what will he turn into if he goes clean...(prays it was coke just as explanation for intense behavior pattern)

2) no it isn't. He's big, it's the NBA, someone can use a guy at his age and size. Not many bigs of even modest talent fail out right away.

But he did just ruin his contract year with the Pacers. Finally our luck is turning. A few years ago he would have kept up his improved play, got a 3 year deal done, and THEN this would have shown up. This time we found out in time (or they already knew and were just riding it out, far more likely).

Dr. Goldfoot
01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I was kinda joking by the way since Harrison plays about as much as I exercise. Totally inconsequential player. The downside is if they planned on using him in some sort of trade later in the season. I don't see many teams accepting him even as trade filler for the remainder of the season.

Naptown_Seth
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, no value to Indy for trades, but I do think he ends up in a camp and signed cheap by someone next year. Just not the Pacers.

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
...unless he comes back a changed man...

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I guess my attempt to put a curse on "the Pacers' useless big man" was not specific enough...my bad...

travmil
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I guess my attempt to put a curse on "the Pacers' useless big man" was not specific enough...my bad...

:D LoneGranger33 FTW! :happydanc

jmoney2584
01-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Not suprised as this is not the first time I have heard that David fancies himself some extracurricular activities of this nature. A buddy of mine who frequents between Bloomington and Indy with the hip-hop scene has told me he has gotten down with DH before. I think it's pretty common knowledge a lot of NBA players do this stuff, just not all get caught. Regardless...good riddance.

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM

True, but Bird, Walsh and Co have to know or have a strong suspicion

MyFavMartin
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
NBA doesn't test for weed.

So either he got caught with it or he had something else.

Since86
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM

What? All standardized drug tests test for it, why wouldn't the NBA's? Small high schools have the funds to even test for it.

Don't tell me you think the Player's Association has that much pull.

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Yes they do it was added onto the newest CBA. Several players have already faced the 5 game suspension thing. I know Jason Wiliiams did. I just am not sure if there is different punishment for weed vs cocaine

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Our team really is awesome.

And I'm not sure why some of you people post misinformation when the correct facts are so easily available, but it's pretty annoying and unhelpful.

Per the ESPN article on the matter:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3192069

The NBA conducts random tests four times a season. Players are subject to up to a 10-game suspension for a first offense, a 25-game ban for a second offense, a one-year suspension for a third offense and banishment from the league if caught a fourth time.

Banned Substances

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/med/trans/nba.gif

Exhibit I-2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA and its players lists a number of prohibited substances included in the league's anti-drug program. They are broken down into the following categories:

• Drugs of Abuse, which include amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates (including heroin, codeine, morphine) and PCP

• Marijuana and its by-products

• Steroids, performance-enhancing drugs, and masking agents, which includes 86 specifics items

• Diuretics, of which 24 are listed

-- Source: NBA Players Association Web site

Aw Heck
01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
So, a casual fan opens up the newspaper tomorrow and goes to the sports section. He sees coverage of the upcoming Colts playoff game. Then, he sees the article about Harrison and his drug suspension.

"Blah, that Pacers team is just a bunch of thugs."

The fact that this happened to a pretty much non-consequential player on the Pacers doesn't matter. This is just going to increase the disgust and apathy that the local fanbase has towards the team.

And I agree with others that Harrison has pretty much guaranteed that he won't be re-signed this offseason.

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I remember during the summer, I made a post about how harison needs to be off the team at whatever costs before he embarrassed the franchise - and Bird and DW knew all of this.

Arcadian
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
C. Marijuana

If a player tests positive for marijuana for the first time during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, or he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, nolo contendre or no contest to, the use or possession of marijuana in violation of the law, he will be required to enter the program. A second such violation will result in a $15,000 fine and the player's re-entry into the program. A third (or any subsequent) such violation will result in a five-game suspension and the player's re-entry into the program.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html

This is what I think happened. I wouldn't be opposed to cutting him now. Not because he smoked pot but that this is his third time and knew what the consequences would be if he continued.

Naptown_Seth
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Jay, love your post. I'm certainly of the mindset of "why ask when you can know" in the internet age. But Anthem FTW.

• Drugs of Abuse, which include amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates (including heroin, codeine, morphine) and PCPOkay, I'm going to assume PCP to help explain the behavior. I mean be honest, if you found out that's what it was wouldn't you say "oh, now I get it". :D Dude actually thinks he is the Hulk at times.

Next time I sit close to the court I'm gonna yell out "Hey Bruce" and see if he turns his head to look. ;)

andreialta
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
i knen Tempermental Problems like that arent normal!

its triggered by a Drug! haha

ABADays
01-11-2008, 03:05 PM

What I read in USA Today said first offense was up to 10 games.

MyFavMartin
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes they do it was added onto the newest CBA. Several players have already faced the 5 game suspension thing. I know Jason Wiliiams did. I just am not sure if there is different punishment for weed vs cocaine

Sorry. My bad. I swore that I just heard or read that last week, though... so I guess it's a common misconception about the NBA.

The espn article today mentions up to a 5 game suspension FOR THE FIRST OFFENSE, which seems to indicate that this is DH's first positive. Thinking it's pot. Anything else (more serious) like cocaine would be a full 10, I would think.

Tom White
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
True, but Bird, Walsh and Co have to know or have a strong suspicion

Perhaps that is why they have not signed DH to an extended contract. If so, it appears they have made the right call.

ABADays
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Man - this is just a nightmare we can't seem to wake up from.

mb221
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Definitely pot.

Much like someone said earlier, a friend of mine has visited DH at his Riley Tower penthouse (if Riley Towers could have a penthouse I guess) and he had ziploc freezer bags full of the stuff. No shock to me really when I heard it, I was more surprised he hadn't been caught for it yet.

Shade
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
...unless he comes back a changed man...

Yeah, like Ron Artest.

Or Stephen Jackson.

Or Jamaal Tinsley.

Or...

:sigh:

NuffSaid
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Actually, the NBA does test for weed (marijuana) per the CBA, Art. 33, Section 7, "Drug Abuse Program". Per section 8(c)(C) of the same article, "Marijuna Program", a 5-game suspension can be imposed.

(Note: If found guilty for use of any other drug, i.e., performance enhancing drugs, meth, cocaine, etc., etc., the punishment would have been far more severe and could include being kicked out of the league; with some drugs it's automatic!)

Oh, and why didn't TPTB disclose this problem earlier? Because of section 3 of the same article, "Confidentiality". By law, they're not required to say anything about any player's drug problems. Only the league can really speak publicly about it.

Now, let's get right down to it...David Harrison was more than stupid for going this route. That's just plain retarded knowing that this team has had more than it's fair share of legal issues/black eyes in the press for conduct unbecoming. Shame on you, David Harrison, for putting this team back under that microscope of negativity!!!

Kstat
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
You don't boot him because he smokes pot. You boot him because he knew the consequences of smoking pot during the season and did it anyway.

Anybody that careless about his career doesn't deserve his job.

Will Galen
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Bird says he will never go into full rebuilding, but if this keeps up he will have to.

QuickRelease
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Sure hope it wasn't for performance enhancing drugs, or Dave got suspended for nothin...:D

QuickRelease
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Sure hope it wasn't for performance enhancing drugs, or Dave got suspended for nothin...:D
:burn::davidharrison::homerdrool:

NuffSaid
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Now, that's funny!

But hypothetically speaking, if it was performance enhancing drugs, I'd say the poor lad got jipped! :laugh:

The Jumpshot Still Money
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
lol

idioteque
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
The American fascination with pot is stupid and terrible policy, but this is no place to debate that.

This just makes our team look even more like **** in the eyes of our fans. If TPTB had ANY inkling of this in the past he should have been cut before the season. DH can do little to help this team, he is inconsequential, but he sure as hell can do a lot to hurt it as even his mistakes will be placed into the spotlight.

jcouts
01-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Am I the only one on the board who knew Harrison was a coke-head?

idioteque
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM

I didn't know that, it seems like he was caught for marijuana.

Harrison is an idiot on so many levels. He's got the talent and the size to make a ton of money in this league and he's pissed it away.

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM

I knew there just wasn't something right wiuth him from the very beginning.

Kofi
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
This is the point I'd be calling up Orlando and inquiring about a Harrison for Redick deal.

Doug
01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Next time I sit close to the court I'm gonna yell out "Hey Bruce" and see if he turns his head to look. ;)

Don't do that. You don't want to make him angry...

Doug
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh, and he's clearly a moron. He actually looked decent early this year, and would have been able to sign a fairly decent contract. He just cost himself millions of dollars.

Jose Slaughter
01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Cut him & sign Chris Andersen

Roaming Gnome
01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Damn, why can't he just go Carlos Rogers and just not come back. Too bad the league has measures in place where the team can't add to his suspension, because he doesn't belong here.

QuickRelease
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Don't do that. You don't want to make him angry...
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1319/th-9632_0009.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1319/Mptv/1319/9632_0009.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0077031)

QuickRelease
01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Damn, why can't he just go Carlos Rogers and just not come back. Too bad the league has measures in place where the team can't add to his suspension, because he doesn't belong here.

Perfect avatar :laugh:

indygeezer
01-11-2008, 04:59 PM

And the union would come to his defense anyway.

Taken by itself, a whole heap o' players have suffered this...it's coming on the heels of all of the other P's trouble that has everyone up in arms.

Rash'weed Harrison.......nope just doesn't have the cache' to it.

NuffSaid
01-11-2008, 05:06 PM
The American fascination with pot is stupid and terrible policy, but this is no place to debate that.

This just makes our team look even more like **** in the eyes of our fans. If TPTB had ANY inkling of this in the past he should have been cut before the season. DH can do little to help this team, he is inconsequential, but he sure as hell can do a lot to hurt it as even his mistakes will be placed into the spotlight.
Wait a minute, now. Let's be fair about this.

According the CBA (see my post on page 2 for appropriate articles and sections thereto), unless he tested positive for one of the no-no drugs that would clearly have given him the boot out of the league, his team has every right and SHOULD do all they can to get this guy some help so that he can turn his life around. It's up to the individual to recognize when said help is to his benefit. In one respect, it's no different than what some employers might to for one of their top employees or what an agent might do for the celebrity he/she represents. Besides, we've all read where one sports team or another has "recommended" a player to rehab. This is no different.

What makes this situation bad is once again a player gets stupid and pulls this franchise back into that dark light.

Artest's flagrant fouls...

Artest and the camera smashing at MSG...

The Brawl and the subsequent player suspensions...

Artest's trade demand...

SJax, Tinsley and Quis and the Club Rio incident...

Tinsley and Quis and the 8 Second Salon...

Shawne Williams and his vehicle non-registration issue...

Shawne Williams missing court date (over slept)...

Tinsley and the shooting stemming from the Cloud 9 night club...

And now this! How much more can we Pacers fans take!?! ENOUGH!!!

maragin
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
It may have been prescribed to him to settle his picture-punching instincts.

Doug
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I think they'll cut him.

He's not contributing anything to the team
He's in the last year of the contract.
And he's not a first time offender.

Taking out the emotional side of it, it seems like very likely decision for the TPTB. They can show the fans that they are taking a hard line without much risk or cost.

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
At least we now know why he ran into the wall while filming that water commercial.

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 05:48 PM
At least we now know why he ran into the wall while filming that water commercial.

Holy crap - it was ecstasy, that's why David takes his water seriously!

high school hero
01-11-2008, 05:52 PM
This thread is full of many fools and plenty of hypocracy.
A. David is not a coke head.
B. Shawne gets busted with weed, that gets swept under the rug almost like nothing happened, but Dave tests positive for SOMETHING (we don't know what, could be a legal item, or some stimulant of some sort- there are plenty of things on the banned list that it could have been that isn't the type of "drug" most are presuming). Shawne was confirmed weed, and we have people in this thread saying we need to build around him. You guys just like him better as a player.

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
You may call me a fool, but don't call me a hypocrat. That word doesn't even exist! And, if I'm not mistaken - which I'm not, the pot that Shawne had was medical marijuana for his grandmother. Trust me. Don't research it.

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Okay...I'm just now getting around to reading TrueHoop today. But this was what Henry Abbott had to say (yet even though he's usually pretty thorought, I wouldn't take this as 100% gospel)

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-40/Friday-Bullets.html

Quoting a press release: "The NBA announced today that David Harrison of the Indiana Pacers has been suspended without pay for five games for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program. Harrison's suspension will begin with Saturday night's game when the Pacers visit the Sacramento Kings." According to Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQ (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#57), a third failed marijuana test is the only drug violation that would result in an automatic five-game suspension. Less clear is whether other drug violations that could lead to a discretionary five-game suspension. UPDATE: After a closer look at the CBA, as far as I can tell the only way a player can get a five-game anti-drug suspension is for a third positive marijuana test. (The first results in entry in "Marijuana Program," the second in a $25,000 fine.)

Evan_The_Dude
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM

"Craig I know you smoke weed cuz yo lips is purple"

Evan_The_Dude
01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
My only remaining question...

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/618/k7wjyt4.jpg

LoneGranger33
01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Looks like it's time to call up STANKO BARAC!

owl
01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
You don't boot him because he smokes pot. You boot him because he knew the consequences of smoking pot during the season and did it anyway.

Anybody that careless about his career doesn't deserve his job.

You boot him because he is not very good or committed to his trade, for whatever
reason. Basically I agree with you.

odeez
01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Wow, now HULK is screwing up, is this franchise curse or what. Can't say I am surprised. It is hard not to want to see the team cut him. But he has had more than enough time to show he is worth the wait and now the trouble. I would have to say goodbye!

ABADays
01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
"That was my skull! I'm so wasted!"

Gnarley!

RamBo_Lamar
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
The timing of this is odd...did he get busted for something while with the team
out west on the road?

If it is indeed just marijuana he got popped for, then I don't see it as that big
of a deal unless he has a really serious addiction to it.

The stuff really needs to be decriminalized because folks shouldn't have to
worry about getting their lives screwed around just for smoking a little weed
every now and then, and trying to have a little fun while relaxing to a nice
buzz once in a while.

JMHO

MyFavMartin
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I talked to a guy while I was in high school who was an avid pot user. He asked me why I didn't smoke and I told him "Because I don't want to become stupid." I couldn't argue with his profound reply, "I was this way before I started."

And no his name wasn't David.

BlueNGold
01-11-2008, 07:08 PM
He's not getting cut because he has at least some trade value notwithstanding this incident. Anymore, it doesn't matter because the entire league is filled with nuts...hmmm...maybe just the Pacers...hmmm. Well anyway...

Someone is going to take a chance on a 25 yo, big 7 footer with an offensive game...probably some GM who smokes weed in fact.

In any event, with all this organization has been through, this is a non-issue. A blip on a radar screen all lit up. The crime at the Conrad has more impact...regardless of how it is viewed in terms of fault.

DH barely sees the court, has not been healthy and is not the answer at the C position anyway.

Also, everyone suspected he did drugs anyway. A whole lot of NBA players do the same thing, he's just young, dense and dumb enough to get caught.

This is just a total non-issue.

aceace
01-11-2008, 07:13 PM
The timing of this is odd...did he get busted for something while with the team
out west on the road?

If it is indeed just marijuana he got popped for, then I don't see it as that big
of a deal unless he has a really serious addiction to it.

The stuff really needs to be decriminalized because folks shouldn't have to
worry about getting their lives screwed around just for smoking a little weed
every now and then, and trying to have a little fun while relaxing to a nice
buzz once in a while.

JMHOWhile I agree with you somewhat.... The NBA is a little different, you have fans paying big money to see these games. These players get paid a fortune compared to the rest of us. While the effects are minimal after a few hours, weed can effect your performance overall if you use it on a daily basis as an NBA player. Those guys making 8 bucks at the grocery store... I haven't seen anyone standing around cheering their performance stocking shelves. If your paying a guy big bucks you deserve his full attention on the court.

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I haven't seen anyone standing around cheering their performance stocking shelves.

Of course you have.

NwDAfdmNMVw

Can you sign the bread for my little brother? He loves you.

ajbry
01-11-2008, 07:20 PM
"Craig I know you smoke weed cuz yo lips is purple"

Actually, you misquoted. First Uncle Elroy states, "I know you smoke weed, right?" and then after Craig asks why, Uncle Elroy says "Cause your lips is getting black."

And about Harrison - 1) nobody cares except for some random GM willing to toss the league minimum towards David at the end of the season and give a 7'0 center a chance; 2) dude was obviously on something; and 3) it ain't like the Pacers need him.

BobbyMac
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
One more in a long line of disappointments for David...glad we didn't extend his contract.

Hicks
01-11-2008, 08:34 PM
As someone who doesn't believe weed is something that has to be looked down upon any more than drinking, on that front I'm not down on David (though if he's getting into coke that's another story, but that's not what today's news is about).

I'm fed up with Pacers embarrassments in general and for that, his careless stupidity, the fact that he's on the final year of his contract, and for his overall lack of achievement, I want us to cut him after his suspension is over to make a point. Good riddance.

Lord Helmet
01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Your Indiana Pacers, committed to winning a championship.

Hoop
01-11-2008, 09:06 PM
If it was weed, we should be thankful, it probably kept him from killing someone. :D

If it was coke, makes sense why he's such a hot head. :mad:

For the Pacers another bad PR problem. :blush:

Young
01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't know if he smoked pot or was doing something worse but I don't care.

The Pacers are just bad in the general publics eye so every little thing is a big thing.

QuickRelease
01-11-2008, 10:48 PM
On the INSIDE HOOPS front page, the first line in their rumors rundown is, "Another Pacer messes up." The severity of David's action is minimal, but the PR hit is a major headache. On the flip side, maybe he could send a little gift bag of the happy powder up to Larry's office, because I'm sure he could use a hit of something right about now.

PHONE: "RING..RING"
LBird: "Hello? The League Office? Who did what this time? Again?"

You have to imagine he hates to hear the phone ring these days. Right now, he's probably measuring success as a day that goes by without a negative news hit.

tdubb03
01-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Brad Miller was a huge pothead, btw.

joeyd
01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I never posted anything about this because I usually like to only report about things that I have observed first hand and generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but two years ago, I heard from two different sources (valet and indirectly from a chaffeur) that Harrison enjoyed smoking the evil weed now and then. It is no surprise to me that he got caught. What is surprising is that he has been able to keep from being suspended this long!

Harrison really is a nice guy. I have seen him with kids and interacting with fans, and if he had a better still set, he would be one of the more popular players on the team. But he doesn't have the skill set, so time to cut bait.

MagicRat
01-11-2008, 11:19 PM
II have seen him with kids and interacting with fans, and if he had a better still set, he would be one of the more popular players on the team.

If he had a better still set he might've been making moonshine instead of funny cigarettes. Could've saved him some trouble, although I'm not sure what the league's moonshine policy is........:whoknows:

LoneGranger33
01-12-2008, 01:06 AM
If he had a better still set he might've been making moonshine instead of funny cigarettes. Could've saved him some trouble, although I'm not sure what the league's moonshine policy is........:whoknows:

Well, according to the latest CBA, it depends on whether you produce it or just consume it, but I won't bore you with the details... :)

OnlyPacersLeft
01-12-2008, 01:55 AM
lol...shocking! not...him and shawne prolly sit in the back of the team bus blazing up. This is awesome! LOL
What's next JO gets suspended for being caught with drugs? LOL

waterjater
01-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Unreal! How freaking stupid is Harrison?? And how freaking stupid are all these players getting caught. Your career in the NBA is generally pretty short....can't you wait til you retire to do this stupid stuff???!!

He probably just blew several million dollars just to smoke pot....what a freaking idiot! What's the point...have a beer...aren't going to get suspended for that.....jees....why do we waste our time on these morons anyway?!?!?!

I'm so pissed I was stupid enough to re-start my NBA league pass on Directv...that was a total waste also.

Water

Mourning
01-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Well... I'm not really in favour of setting examples to others in general, but in this case I think the Pacers should do just that. Let him serve his suspension and then cut him.

Good this happenned before the summer btw.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Claptonrocks
01-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Harrison is a waste of space on the floor... should have cut him long ago.

Kofi
01-12-2008, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't cut him before I shopped him around a little bit. Anything you can get for him would be better than nothing, provided it's not a bad contract. If, after shopping him around for a few weeks, no one's made any offers, I'd go ahead and cut him loose.

Speed
01-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Well since his contract is up after this season, he does have the value of an expiring contract. He could end up on someones summer league squad where you have endless fouls and he could dominate.

I feel bad for David, because he's never truely felt any of this was his fault or responsibility and until he does he'll never change and its about almost too late or at least too late to reach his potential at the Nba Level.

Sometimes these guys just can't get out of their own way. I wish someone had the balls to tell him to grow up, be a man and take responsibility for yourself and your actions.

Its cute and funny to your buddies, acting all ill, when your 17 or 19; its just sad, pathetic, and simple minded when your a grown man and you can't handle your business......

aero
01-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Brad Miller was a huge pothead, btw.

my older brother used to party with brad and i know for a fact that he used something different from pot as his choice to have fun. I wont state what that was because my brother would kick my a$$ if he knew i even replied with any information on here about this. you can believe me, you can say im lying....eh..everyone has their right to their own opinion, however I know what I know. My brother is one of those party type people that knows promoters, singers, sports athletes...etc. He is after all a former basketball player.

Yes he even knows David, friends with him ? no. knows the people he knows, knows the people he party's with...yes. He's told me story's about stuff in the past about some people but eh, im not a snitch and besides...if i would have posted about this before it would just be dismissed as "here say" "lies" or what have you.

Ill just say that these pro athletes need to learn from the people that do get busted, they need to stop what they are doing. Will they ? doubt it. they just get a slap on the wrist and lose a little money here and there but eh...thats life

BlueNGold
01-12-2008, 08:14 AM
What's next JO gets suspended for being caught with drugs? LOL

I doubt you are serious, but I must say...one thing about JO is he is a highly intelligent, classy dude. He really doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the rest of these idiots...notwithstanding the fact we need to move him too.

Mourning
01-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I doubt you are serious, but I must say...one thing about JO is he is a highly intelligent, classy dude. He really doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the rest of these idiots...notwithstanding the fact we need to move him too.

100% aggree with that.

Unclebuck
01-12-2008, 12:02 PM
As someone who doesn't believe weed is something that has to be looked down upon any more than drinking, on that front I'm not down on David (though if he's getting into coke that's another story, but that's not what today's news is about).

I'm fed up with Pacers embarrassments in general and for that, his careless stupidity, the fact that he's on the final year of his contract, and for his overall lack of achievement, I want us to cut him after his suspension is over to make a point. Good riddance.

We can argue all day whether the stuff should be legalized or allowed, or whether it is worse or better than drinking alcohol. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal, but much more than that he knows he is being tested for it 4 times a season and he knows he tested positive 2 times before and yet he still is doing the stuff. That tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Either he doesn't care or he has a problem and can't quit the stuff. Either way I don't care, I just want him gone. Not sure what the pacers can do within the CBA, but I would hope they just put him on the inactive list for the rest of the season, and ask him to stay away. He'll be gone after this season for sure. He will probably have to play overseas.

More than anything I'm sorry we wasted time and money on the guy and I feel bad for the coaches who have spent time trying to to teach him to play NBA ball.

If my employer tells me on Monday - they are starting a testing policy where they will be testing for anyone who drinks diet coke. I have two choices, stop drinking diet coke or leave the company. But to stay with the company and to continue to drink diet coke is just being an idiot.

FireTheCoach
01-12-2008, 12:34 PM
David Harrison - he's got a pro athletes body but thats about it... He's only in the league at all because he's 7 foot tall. He's had enough time and exposure to make an accurate call on his game - mediocre or less.

He's never put the effort into becoming more skilled at his chosen career, he's as good now as he was when he came into the league, and thats not a compliment. He's the classic paycheck collector and nothing more. This guy just don't get it and he obviously doesn't care.

The word on him pre-draft was lazy, poor work ethic, immature.... I'd say those descriptions are pretty accurate.

The only thing that makes this newsworthy is the mention of "an ileagal substance" ... the fact that DH won't be playing for the Pacers would only be noticed by the most hardcore of Pacers fans anyways.

Of course, JMHO as always

LoneGranger33
01-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I think this is probably the best thing to happen to us; after all, David wasn't making any progress on the court. Either he comes back a better man - and hopefully a more concentrated player, or he doesn't come back at all.

Also, he probably took drugs after O'Brien left him in during that Jazz game. Who would want to remember that fiasco?

Skaut_Ech
01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Did anyone read this:

http://rotoworld.com/content/home_nba.aspx

"David Harrison had big problems even before his five-game suspension for violating the NBA's anti-drug program (for the third time). He has committed a foul every four minutes this season, and was apparently in coach Jim O'Brien's doghouse.

(Harrison) hasn’t earned playing time," O’Brien said. "That’s why he isn’t getting any time. He knew I didn’t like the way he was playing. He didn’t deserve to be on the basketball court for us." Don't look to him for fantasy value at any point this season."

I like FTC's description: classic paycheck collector. :laugh::(

Naptown_Seth
01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Looks like it's time to call up STANKO BARAC!
Warning: there's a reason why his nickname is "Skunko Bluntrac". Trust me. Don't research it.

DisapointedPacerFan
01-12-2008, 03:30 PM
According to the IndyStar, it was Marijay he's been using...and its his 3rd offense! No wonder he's been playing absolutely horrid. Now there is no reason to re-sign him.

Naptown_Seth
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
This thread is full of many fools and plenty of hypocracy.
A. David is not a coke head.
B. Shawne gets busted with weed, that gets swept under the rug almost like nothing happened, but Dave tests positive for SOMETHING (we don't know what, could be a legal item, or some stimulant of some sort- there are plenty of things on the banned list that it could have been that isn't the type of "drug" most are presuming). Shawne was confirmed weed, and we have people in this thread saying we need to build around him. You guys just like him better as a player.
A: because it doesn't mix well with the PCP and X, as confirmed earlier in the thread. Trust me. Don't research it.

B: Shawne has a friend that owns an illegal gun. We don't want to cross that and get Tinsed in front of Harry and Izzy's. Naturally we support him. YOU HEAR THAT SHAWNE, I SAID WE SUPPORT YOU. GO MEMPHIS!
(wipes sweat from brow)

C: I am a Hypocrat, on my mother's side. Scandinavian Hypocrat to be precise.

Oneal07
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I knew there just wasn't something right wiuth him from the very beginning.

LOL. To be honest, he did seem kind of weird.

LoneGranger33
01-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Warning: there's a reason why his nickname is "Skunko Bluntrac". Trust me. Don't research it.

Don't worry, I never do research. However, I don't trust you. Fox told me not to.

http://www.pearl-jam.com/xfiles/trustnoa.jpg

indyman37
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Now you guys know for a fact that upper management, aka Bird, is gonna give Harrison another chance and keep him with the Pacers. Worst case scenario for David, he gets sent down to the Mad Ants. Oh, Lordy.

Raoul Duke
01-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Now you guys know for a fact that upper management, aka Bird, is gonna give Harrison another chance and keep him with the Pacers. Worst case scenario for David, he gets sent down to the Mad Ants. Oh, Lordy.

No, he's been in the league too many years. The worst case scenario for him is a lot worse.

indygeezer
01-14-2008, 10:28 AM
NOW THIS IS FREAKING NUTZ!!!

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50286/20080114/harrisons_suspension_takes_pacers_by_surprise/

Harrison's Suspension Takes Pacers By Surprise
January 14, 2008 - 9:11 am
Indianapolis Star -
The Indiana Pacers did not know center David Harrison failed two previous drug tests until they learned he was suspended five games for violating the league's drug program last Friday while they were preparing for practice in Phoenix.
As part of the collective bargaining agreement, teams are not notified about a failed drug test until a player is suspended.

"What it means is that we're not in the position to know that part of a player because we're not involved in it," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "So it's all guesswork on the part of the franchise if a player has an issue with alcohol or drugs or something like that until you get to the third level."

Team officials, in particular Walsh and president Larry Bird, plan to encourage Harrison to seek all the necessary help needed to get over the latest obstacle in what has been a disappointing career for the fourth-year center.

Harrison said in a phone interview last weekend that he knows he needs to grow up because, if not, his chances of remaining in the NBA could be running out. [READ]

Hicks
01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
That's nuts geezer, and what's also nuts is that a team is punished in an unusual and stupid way. The Pacers have to keep David Harrison on the active list, which means they can't have 12 players in uniform while David is suspended. What's the logic behind that?

LoneGranger33
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
What's the lowest contract we could give this guy next year?

JayRedd
01-14-2008, 11:29 AM
What's the lowest contract we could give this guy next year?

$2,001,059 according to Hoopshype, which should be dead-on in this case since it's based solely on draft position.

Doubt that's happening.

grace
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
That's nuts geezer, and what's also nuts is that a team is punished in an unusual and stupid way. The Pacers have to keep David Harrison on the active list, which means they can't have 12 players in uniform while David is suspended. What's the logic behind that?

I don't understand why everyone is so freaked out at only having 11 players dressed. Just how often do they actually use 11 players? Besides the Pacers have played with 6 before. It's not like one of your best players is suspended for a whole season.

SycamoreKen
01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
We can argue all day whether the stuff should be legalized or allowed, or whether it is worse or better than drinking alcohol. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal, but much more than that he knows he is being tested for it 4 times a season and he knows he tested positive 2 times before and yet he still is doing the stuff. That tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Either he doesn't care or he has a problem and can't quit the stuff. Either way I don't care, I just want him gone. Not sure what the pacers can do within the CBA, but I would hope they just put him on the inactive list for the rest of the season, and ask him to stay away. He'll be gone after this season for sure. He will probably have to play overseas.

More than anything I'm sorry we wasted time and money on the guy and I feel bad for the coaches who have spent time trying to to teach him to play NBA ball.

If my employer tells me on Monday - they are starting a testing policy where they will be testing for anyone who drinks diet coke. I have two choices, stop drinking diet coke or leave the company. But to stay with the company and to continue to drink diet coke is just being an idiot.

You pretty much summed up how I feel about this. If you are told not to do it, don't do it! Don't complain about how it shouldn't be illeagle and it does not affect your performance, which I seriously doubt, just don't do it!

Putnam
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
You pretty much summed up how I feel about this. If you are told not to do it, don't do it! Don't complain about how it shouldn't be illeagle and it does not affect your performance, which I seriously doubt, just don't do it!

What I've been thinking of is the people who really go the distance to do their best.

I think it was Rogers Hornsby (played for the St. Louis Cardinals long ago) who wouldn't ever go to the movies because believed watching the flickering lights would hurt his perfect eyesight. Was he right or not? I dunno, but the guy batted .428 in 1924.

Or actors like Robert Deniro (Raging Bull) or Vincent D'onofrio (Full Metal Jacket) or Tom Hanks (Castaway) or Craig Bierko (Cinderella Man) who gain or lose a great deal of weight in order to play a role more convincingly. Or the missionary Hudson Taylor, who slept on a board for a year in preparation of the hardships he expected when he finally went overseas.

For them, the goal of performing well was and is worth a sacrifice. They want it to pay the price, because they believe the result is worth the cost.

So if David Harrison can't even stay clean, I question whether he is serious enough about the sport of basketball.

SycamoreKen
01-14-2008, 03:57 PM
What I've been thinking of is the people who really go the distance to do their best.

I think it was Rogers Hornsby (played for the St. Louis Cardinals long ago) who wouldn't ever go to the movies because believed watching the flickering lights would hurt his perfect eyesight. Was he right or not? I dunno, but the guy batted .428 in 1924.

Or actors like Robert Deniro (Raging Bull) or Vincent D'onofrio (Full Metal Jacket) or Tom Hanks (Castaway) or Craig Bierko (Cinderella Man) who gain or lose a great deal of weight in order to play a role more convincingly. Or the missionary Hudson Taylor, who slept on a board for a year in preparation of the hardships he expected when he finally went overseas.

For them, the goal of performing well was and is worth a sacrifice. They want it to pay the price, because they believe the result is worth the cost.

So if David Harrison can't even stay clean, I question whether he is serious enough about the sport of basketball.

What? Sacrifice, self dicipline, and self denial? Those concepts are becoming more and more scarce these days. I think there is a small group of achivers that knows what this means and then appliy it as needed to be the most successful, no matter what field they are in. I don't include myself in that group by the way.

JayRedd
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM

For him, it's a job. And he probably takes his as serious as most of us do.

indygeezer
01-14-2008, 10:58 PM

ouch!

LoneGranger33
01-14-2008, 11:13 PM

There are some things he doesn't play games with, and one of them is his water. Another one is his job. If he didn't have passion for the game of basketball, then he wouldn't be so angry all the time.

Man, that was a mouthful. Can I get some Kinetico water?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cdKODCBH28I (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cdKODCBH28I)

Robertmto
01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
<---

Ownagedood
01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Lol, this is why we don't win games.. We have what? 5 or 6 players that aren't smoking pot?? It's outrageous!! Why does everyone think they have to do it?? Seems like all the professional athelets do it. It's rediculous. They have the life, why mess it up with marijuana or something else?

McKeyFan
01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I wonder how much worse we would be if we immediately would have replaced all our pot smokers with milk drinkers over the past few years.

Or would we be better?

JayRedd
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Man, that was a mouthful.

Ccdu8yZIanM

Putnam
01-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Redd, the video won't play.

And I'm really keen to know what happens at the urinal, so please post a link somehow.

I'm just absolutely positive that this video clip is going to make all aspect, implications and ramifications of this issue come crystal clear and usher in a new era of harmony and concord, both on this forum and throughout Pacerland.

Evan_The_Dude
01-15-2008, 11:13 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

JayRedd
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Redd, the video won't play.

And I'm really keen to know what happens at the urinal, so please post a link somehow.

The embed works for me, but here's something maybe your Commodore 64 can handle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccdu8yZIanM

I'm just absolutely positive that this video clip is going to make all aspect, implications and ramifications of this issue come crystal clear and usher in a new era of harmony and concord, both on this forum and throughout Pacerland.

Clearly.

Shade
01-15-2008, 04:22 PM
NOW THIS IS FREAKING NUTZ!!!

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50286/20080114/harrisons_suspension_takes_pacers_by_surprise/

Harrison's Suspension Takes Pacers By Surprise
January 14, 2008 - 9:11 am
Indianapolis Star -
The Indiana Pacers did not know center David Harrison failed two previous drug tests until they learned he was suspended five games for violating the league's drug program last Friday while they were preparing for practice in Phoenix.
As part of the collective bargaining agreement, teams are not notified about a failed drug test until a player is suspended.

"What it means is that we're not in the position to know that part of a player because we're not involved in it," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "So it's all guesswork on the part of the franchise if a player has an issue with alcohol or drugs or something like that until you get to the third level."

Team officials, in particular Walsh and president Larry Bird, plan to encourage Harrison to seek all the necessary help needed to get over the latest obstacle in what has been a disappointing career for the fourth-year center.

Harrison said in a phone interview last weekend that he knows he needs to grow up because, if not, his chances of remaining in the NBA could be running out. [READ]

Ah, the NBA motto: Take a mistake and compound it into the ground until it gets out of hand.

There's no good reason not to notify a franchise if one of their players has failed a drug test.

Shade
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
<---

Great, I started an epidemic. :laugh:

Erik
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
'twas weed.... http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080117/COLUMNISTS01/801170501 "When the NBA office called Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird the other day, the news was as shocking as it was disheartening. The Pacers' underachieving and monumentally disappointing young center, David Harrison, had tested positive for marijuana for the third time in his career, drawing a five-game suspension."