PDA

View Full Version : Battery - electrical question

Unclebuck
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I have no idea what the title of this thread should be.

But I have a very specific question, maybe someone can help me out. I am looking to provide power to an electrical appliance where there isn't an electrical outlet anywhere near. I don't want to run a long cord to an outlet either. So I am wonderng if there is a such thing as some type of battery adaptor, that I can buy where I can plug my appliance into it and it will use the battery for power. Is there such a thing. And if not, why isn't there.

Anyone have any ideas. Seems like this should be a common problem.

heywoode
01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I have no idea what the title of this thread should be.

But I have a very specific question, maybe someone can help me out. I am looking to provide power to an electrical appliance where there isn't an electrical outlet anywhere near. I don't want to run a long cord to an outlet either. So I am wonderng if there is a such thing as some type of battery adaptor, that I can buy where I can plug my appliance into it and it will use the battery for power. Is there such a thing. And if not, why isn't there.

Anyone have any ideas. Seems like this should be a common problem.

I know a professional photographer who uses a portable power pack that has standard plugs for his lighting...It is about the size of a loaf of bread and is heavy. Not sure if it is just for spot use, like firing flash lighting every once in a while, or would/could be for constant power use. I have no idea what the capacity or amount of time it could provide continuous power, and I'm sure it would depend on how much juice was being required.

Portable, plug-in power is out there, but I bet it is expensive for the application you suggest.

Here is a link to a device that would suffice, but not sure how long the charge would last....

http://www.4lots.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1008&HS=1

bellisimo
01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
here is another one...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-1952862-9868111?ASIN=B000TSAPGC&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000TSAPGC|Energizer_Portable_Power_Outlet_ERF LY&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000TSAPGC&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001 (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-1952862-9868111?ASIN=B000TSAPGC&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000TSAPGC%7CEnergizer_Portable_Power_Outlet_E RFLY&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000TSAPGC&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001)

Los Angeles
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
So how are you going to charge the battery?

Unclebuck
01-10-2008, 08:47 PM
So how are you going to charge the battery?

No, I have power to the area, but the nearest outlet is either in the next room or clear across the room - and I just didn't want to have a cord across the room or the walking area

The one from Target should work.

SycamoreKen
01-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I would check the specs on the Target one before using it. Most of the info I found stated that it was for recharging batteries more than extended use. It may not hadle the higher flow needed for your appliance.

kester99
01-11-2008, 12:40 AM
I would check the specs on the Target one before using it. Most of the info I found stated that it was for recharging batteries more than extended use. It may not hadle the higher flow needed for your appliance.

Concur w/ Ken...mostly you see AC to DC converters...you want DC to AC (often called inverters, and less common), and the best source for those is probably an RV dealer. You hook a car battery to 'em. Umm, at least you could put a box over it and call it an end table? They're used for the on-board RV appliances.

You didn't specify a wattage (important), but here's an example:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/tripp-lite-power-inverter.htm

If your appliance is a lamp with a 25-watt bulb, maybe the Target product will work. But if the appliance has moving parts, a heating element, a compressor for cooling, or just pulls a lot of juice (TV, stereo, PC) then you'd want to look at the RV products, I'd think.

SycamoreKen
01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
I think your best and cheapest option is a 150 foot orange extention cord and some nice wire covering. Run it from a plug along the baseboard around the room. The covering sticks to the wall and clamps shut.

Gyron
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
He should probably rip the drywall out and run electrical throughout the room putting an outlet every 2 ft. That would be the ideal situation. Then you would NEVER have a problem with the outlet being in the wrong place.

Or you could pickup the appliance and move it to the side of the room with the plug?

J/King of course. I have no idea Buck. What kind of appliance is it? Thatmight be helpful to know so we know how much Juice its gonna pull.

Unclebuck
01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
He should probably rip the drywall out and run electrical throughout the room putting an outlet every 2 ft. That would be the ideal situation. Then you would NEVER have a problem with the outlet being in the wrong place.

Or you could pickup the appliance and move it to the side of the room with the plug?

J/King of course. I have no idea Buck. What kind of appliance is it? That might be helpful to know so we know how much Juice its gonna pull.

I appreciate all of your responses, I really figured the thread would die a quick and painless death.

Sorry I didn't mention what the item was earlier, I thought I had. It is just a lighted pedestal, that probably would have maybe a 60 or 75 watt light bulb in it and it would even be on very much. I need to put it in my bathroom - or I want to, but the nearest outlet is on the other side of the bathroom near the sink or out of the bathrrom and down the hall into the living room. Neither really are an option. So I just wanted an inexpensive battery I could plug into. I'm surprised there isn't a really simple and inexpensive soultion to this. it has to be a common problem.

Gyron
01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Hmm, I have no idea, maybe one of our resident electricians can answer this one....

Natston
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I've seen new plugins ran before and they don't seem to be too difficult. You might be able to find a handy man or maybe you could do it yourself after reading up. But it does all depend on the construction of your home/room.

Bball
01-12-2008, 06:36 AM
I appreciate all of your responses, I really figured the thread would die a quick and painless death.

Sorry I didn't mention what the item was earlier, I thought I had. It is just a lighted pedestal, that probably would have maybe a 60 or 75 watt light bulb in it and it would even be on very much. I need to put it in my bathroom - or I want to, but the nearest outlet is on the other side of the bathroom near the sink or out of the bathrrom and down the hall into the living room. Neither really are an option. So I just wanted an inexpensive battery I could plug into. I'm surprised there isn't a really simple and inexpensive soultion to this. it has to be a common problem.

Unfortunately, the answer is either an extension cord (AC Cable) or it's wiring a new circuit into the wall near where you need power.

AFAIK, there's no practical way to do what you want utilizing any type of battery.

Adding outlets is not that hard, whether it's putting a hole in the drywall and stealing power from an existing circuit, or utilizing "Wiremold" surface mount 'conduit'. That said, being in a bathroom (near water) can require a GFI receptacle.

-Bball

SycamoreKen
01-12-2008, 11:22 PM
That said, being in a bathroom (near water) can require a GFI receptacle.

-Bball

What? Do a home improvement project on your own and make it up to code!? ;)