PDA

View Full Version : Jim O'Brien show is on tonight at 6:00

Unclebuck
01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
They have moved the show to 6:00 - at least that is what I read on Indystar.com a few days ago. I'll check 1070 website

Oneal07
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh man, I hope someone can record. Someone has to ask about the game last night!!!

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
6pm...that places the show airing at 5pm CST. Cell phone timer set! I'm gonna ring AM 1070's phone off the hook this evening!!! Nearly 12 hours later and I'm still tic'd off about the way this team blew last night's game. :mad::mad::mad: I don't care if you believe in the philosopy of taking uncontest, open 3-pters. The fact remains that the team died by the 3-pter last night and the coach was fully aware that his players were fatigued. There's just no excuse for such a coaching blunder let alone letting one of the worse 3-pt shooters on the team continue to jack up 3-pt shots! But that's not the worst of it!

They went into OT and not once did Tinsley try to get his teammates invovled. That above all else tic's me off the most!!!

You bet I'm gonna bring up these issues if I get through provided no one else beats me to it.

Unclebuck
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
6pm...that places the show airing at 5pm CST. Cell phone timer set! I'm gonna ring AM 1070's phone off the hook this evening!!! Nearly 12 hours later and I'm still tic'd off about the way this team blew last night's game. :mad::mad::mad: I don't care if you believe in the philosopy of taking uncontest, open 3-pters. The fact remains that the team died by the 3-pter last night and the coach was fully aware that his players were fatigued. There's just no excuse for such a coaching blundder let alone letting one of the worse 3-pt shooters on the team continue to jack up 3-pt shots! But that's not the worst of it!

They went into OT and not once did Tinsley try to get his teammates invovled. That above all else tic's me off the most!!!

You bet I'm gonna bring up these issues if I get through provided no one else beats me to it.

Ask a question that he can answer .

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Are you implying he won't answer anyone question addressing why Tinsley took every shot in OT or why the team refuses to limit their jump shots in regulation play when games are close?

I'm all for his philosopy of taking wide-open 3pt shots during the flow of the game, but not so many in crunch time and especially when those shots just aren't falling. You gamble and take two or three, but when your lead is that close and you see your opponent has cut into it or taken it away because of the long rebounds you've given up AND they've countered you by driving the lanes which your team should have been doing...

No, my friend. Somebody's got to answer for this blunder. The fans deserve to know what was going through him mind and that of his starting PG.

Unclebuck
01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Are you implying he won't answer anyone question addressing why Tinsley took every shot in OT or why the team refuses to limit their jump shots in regulation play when games are close?

I'm all for his philosopy of taking wide-open 3pt shots during the flow of the game, but not so many in crunch time and especially when those shots just aren't falling. You gamble and take two or three, but when your lead is that close and you see your opponent has cut into it or taken it away because of the long rebounds you've given up AND they've countered you by driving the lanes which your team should have been doing...

No, my friend. Somebody's got to answer for this blunder. The fans deserve to know what was going through him mind and that of his starting PG.

O'Brien is very good at answering questions, and he is often very honest.

I was just saying that you should phrase your question or make your point in such a way that will enable Jim to answer.

For example, I would not call and say "why did Tinsley take every shot in the OT". That puts him on the defensive and allows him to answer in a way to avoid the question.

If I wanted to ask specifically about Tinsley taking those shots, I would ask Jim, "after looking at the film were you satisfied with the shots your team got in OT or late in regulations" If I had time to ask several questions, I would focus many questions on this topic. I would ask him what went into his thinking about posting JT up on Marion, and what about the cross cut play they ran quite often towards the end.

If I wanted to ask him why Williams wasn't at the end of regulation, I would ask him if there was maybe a defensive reason why he wasn't in the game.

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks, UB. I'll take your advice and run with it.

McKeyFan
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
What the number to call in?

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Is the show still slated to air on AM 1070, The Fan, or some other station? By my clock, we're 32 minutes from air time (4:28pm CST).

Hicks
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm assuming it will be on The Fan. That's supposed to carry all of their sports.

The Hero
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
i just heard on 1070 that the jim obrien show will be on tonight

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
The Jim O'Brien Show will air on AM 1070 in approximately 5 minutes. Don't have a call-in number yet, but it will be airing soon. Er'body get yo' questions ready! I got 3 on tap if I get in.

Evan_The_Dude
01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Could somebody be so kind to post a summary? I'm at work and can't listen in.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm here tonight. So assuming it's on The Fan, I'll have it all recorded and up in 5 minutes past the show's conclusion.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
5 past the hour. They're late.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Tinsley has a knee injury sustained last night that he's getting an MRI on right now and "definitely would not have practiced today."

bellisimo
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Tinsley has a knee injury sustained last night that he's getting an MRI on right now and "definitely would not have practiced today."

this banged up and we rode him out in the OT? :rolleyes:

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Sounds like small-ball is on its way in to this team.

Rajah Brown
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes. The small lineup is coming ! O'B is figuring it out...

CableKC
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
293-1070 is the # to dial for questions. I have no clue what the Area code is though.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Jim makes it sound like not only is Kareem going to be the new starting 2-guard, but he lumps him in with Shawne as two guys who are a big part of the Pacers' future. Sounds like Larry likes what he sees from Kareem and will try to re-sign him IMO. Of course, if he flops later in the year all bets are off.

When healthy, it sounds to me like this is our starting 5:

Tinsley
Rush
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal

Lord Helmet
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
293-1070 is the # to dial for questions. I have no clue what the Area code is though.

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Alright! We're going to see more of the lineup we saw last night including more Deiner to backup Tinsley and more of Shawne Williams! That means we'll finally see the uptempo game we were promised to start the season. Yippy!!

JOB also mentioned that JO's injury situation won't get much better throughout the season. He'll probably sit out the next 10 days/games (not sure which was decided, but clearly he won't be playing for a brief spell). But here's the clincher: If the Pacers are going to a faster lineup/rotation, does that mean JO will come off the bench or will he be rotated out of the lineup sooner?

I'm having cell phone network problems due to bad weather. :censored: So, if someone could ask that question I'd greatly appreciate it.

Lord Helmet
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
What's the deal with Diener? How's his injury?

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Cell phone network picked the wrong time to go down!!! :censored:

Can somebody ask this question in particular for me:

(Phrase it how you like...)

"Will you consider implementing a end-game rule where if the score is within 10 pts (+/-) and the game clock is around the 3-minute mark, will you emphasis drives to the lane more or will you continue to allow players to have the green light to take jump shots?"

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Jim is being pretty up front about the defense: The team as a unit still doesn't have it down, and because of that it often fails. He believes that when (not if) they get it down, we'll be much better defensively.

CableKC
01-10-2008, 07:44 PM
JO'B - JONeal doesn't practice but will never come off the bench. :banghead:

BTW.....I don't think that JO'B watches the tapes when JONeal plays. Although this is a "tongue-in-cheek" response ....What he says about JONeal is not consistent with what many of you see when it comes to JONeal's play.

JO'B - Driving the ball to the basket is our top priority ( paraphrasing here ).

BlueNGold
01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
About $245,000 per game.

What a waste of money.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
"Attacking the basket is always our top priority, even though it may not always seem like it." There's more to it, but that's the essential part where he goes on to say that our offense MUST start on the inside.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
"In retrospect, I should have used fresh legs at the end".

CableKC
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
JO'B does admit that he should have put in fresh legs...he didn't...and it backfired on him.

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I locked him down!!!

JO will NEVER come off the bench as long as JOB is the coach. I understand where he's coming from, but if the man can't practise and you've emphasized the importance of practise....'Nuff Said on that note.

He all but admitted that he blew it by not going to Owens to put fresh legs in the game.

We agree to disagree with the 3-minute end-game rule, but it was cool to hear he'd consider enforcing a change in the team's mentality.

I'm cool....until the next major meltdown.

CableKC
01-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I locked him down!!!

JO will NEVER come off the bench as long as JOB is the coach. I understand where he's coming from, but if the man can't practise and you've emphasized the importance of practise....'Nuff Said on that note.

He all but admitted that he blew it by not going to Owens to put fresh legs in the game.

We agree to disagree with the 3-minute end-game rule, but it was cool to hear he'd consider enforcing a change in the team's mentality.

I'm cool....until the next major meltdown.
Were you Lee from Alabama?

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
CableKC,

Yup, yup! That would be me! :D

Hicks
01-10-2008, 08:07 PM
The show will be available for download in about 1 minute.

Hicks
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Enjoy.....

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/radio/thejimobrienshow011008.mp3

andreialta
01-10-2008, 08:47 PM
tnx for the upload!

Rajah Brown
01-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Has any max guy who was the most highly paid guy on his NBA
team and healthy enough to play ever come off the bench ?

I tend to doubt it.

NuffSaid
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Has any max guy who was the most highly paid guy on his NBA
team and healthy enough to play ever come off the bench ?

I tend to doubt it.
But the point I was trying to make was that IF practise is so critical to the team's consistency and IF a healthy JO is so valuable to the team's success and IF the team's failure to consistently push the tempo has been a big part of the team's problem as far as controlling the flow of the game, doesn't it just makes sense to bring JO off the bench if he's not 100%? This yo-yo affect with playing him and resting him and playing him and resting him can't be good for the teams consistency at all.

Now, I do understand JOB's point. From a defensive standpoint, JO is the team's #1 big. He anchors the defense, leading in blocks and he's not afraid to take charges. He also leads all team bigs in assist. So, he gets alot done out there that doesn't necessarily show up on a stat sheet. But if he can only go in limit play (as far as the number of games played before the injury sets back in requiring him to sit out games), one way to keep him available yet reduce further aggravating the injury would be to bring him off the bench and play him in limited minutes. Of course, you could also take JOB's route and just sit him for long periods until the knee is well enough that he could play through the next 4-5 games, but then you've got to contend with the yo-yo effect all over again.

It's a catch 22...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

LoneGranger33
01-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Don't play him till he can practice.

Naptown_Seth
01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Sounds like small-ball is on its way in to this team.
He said this in the post game too.

Reason: wants to get Shawne time and that means at the 4, the team has most of it's talent at the wings, the bigs have been disappointing (something similar to that).

Not sure if he repeated it during the show, haven't had time to listen yet. Sadly I think it's taken about a half season for JOB to realize what a lot of us already knew. He may have been satisfied with the roster coming into this year, but there is no way he'll feel that way next summer.

Putnam
01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
After listening to the show carefully and reading all these comments, it seems to me that coach O'Brien has resolved to change the team's strategy somewhat, but that as they move on to the Sacramento game he's feling somewhat frustrated. In other words,

I made up my mind,
To make a new start.
I'm going to California with an aching,
In my heart.

Oneal07
01-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Enjoy.....

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/radio/thejimobrienshow011008.mp3

Thanks A Lot!!!

I'm glad we're going small. Maybe once this happens we'll see who we need and don't need!!!

JBones19
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
JO'B does admit that he should have put in fresh legs...he didn't...and it backfired on him.

HA! Some people in the post game thread said I was outright wrong that we looked exhausted in OT- so now I guess I can enjoy my weekend ;)