PDA

View Full Version : Artest questionable for tonight

indygeezer
06-01-2004, 03:43 PM
From the Star also...check out the tidbit on KA.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/151419-7232-094.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Forward Ron Artest missed the Indiana Pacers' morning practice session today with a migraine headache, and is listed as questionable for tonight's Eastern Conference finals playoff game at Detroit. .

Artest, who also missed Monday's practice in Indianapolis, took a commercial flight to Detroit Monday evening, rather than traveling with the team earlier in the day.

Team officials said he was at the hotel while the team practiced today.

"It's no big deal," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said.

The Pacers, who trail the Pistons 3-2 and face possible elimination tonight, are full of uncertainty. Point guard Jamaal Tinsley and forward Jermaine O'Neal are expected to start, but will be limited by injuries.

Tinsley appears to be the most questionable, and could be available only for limited minutes.

"We'll see where he is," Carlisle said. "He wants to play. He's been a great competitor for us all year, so I've got to start him. But it's to the point if he's not able to do what he needs to do and he's compromised by the injury, I'm going to have to make a tough decision."

Tinsley said his injuries, which have spread to his ankle, knee and hamstring, have only grown worse in recent days.

"It can't get better," he said. "I'm playing on it every other day and practicing. I thought it'd be the same, but the more I play on it the more it hurts."

Tinsley's injuries could open playing time for veteran Kenny Anderson, who said today he doubts he'll re-sign with the Pacers this summer.

Anderson, brought in by Carlisle last summer, started 31 games during the regular season, including 28 of the first 29. But he also was kept on the bench for 19 games after returning from the injured list and losing his starting position to Tinsley. He has played in just three postseason games.

Anderson, 33, said he's happy with his teammates, coaches and the franchise, but wants to play more.

"If the circumstances are going to be the same as they are now (regarding playing time), I'd rather be somewhere else," he said. "I'm not ready to stop playing yet.

"I still have 3-5 years left in me. I'm still healthy. I still can run a team. I still can play. I still got my speed. I started 30-some games, played well, got injured and couldn't get back in the rotation. I really don't understand it."

Anderson said his agent already has talked to several interested teams, and that he was willing to consider options. When reporters from Toronto and Detroit suggested those teams as possibilities, he said, "Those are two good picks."

When another writer asked about returning home, Anderson, a graduate of Archbishop Malloy High School in New York, said, "My friends sometimes mention that with (Nets point guard) Jason (Kidd) and his injuries, I could back him up. That'd be a nice little thing."

Carlisle changed his starting lineup for the Pacers' Game 4 victory at the Palace on Friday, replacing Jeff Foster with Austin Croshere, and stayed with that lineup in their Game 5 loss. Carlisle said today he knows who will start tonight, assuming Artest is available, but declined to reveal it.

Croshere said he expects the lineup to remain the same.

Regardless of who starts, the Pacers are likely to have to rely more on their depth because of their physical ills.

"We've got a lot of guys who are capable," Carlisle said. "We've had injury situations during the year and we're ready to step in. Is it an ideal situation? No. But it's better to have a team like this when you have some other ways you can go and I'm very confident in the guys on our bench.

Ain't that tampering????

sweabs
06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Hmm...I hope Carlisle isn't losing some of the respect from his players...

DisplacedKnick
06-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Cool! We now know Carlisle's secret strategy:

Hit Artest over the head. Slip AJ a mickey. Start Kenny Anderson ... - uh, well, maybe not.

I can't see Artest not playing. I figure if he can walk, he can play.

And if Austin Croshere's gonna shoot 0-7, Foster should start instead.

indygeezer
06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
How about his agent having contact with other teams (already)? Teams talking to a player before FA season starts = Tampering....especially since one of the named teams he is currently playing against.

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Has Kenny even been this far in the playoffs in his career?

You'd think he'd be ecstatic and giving his all so the team can move on.

edit: It's not like he's going to get that many more chances...

sweabs
06-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Toronto will likely get him I think.

They are desperate for a point guard.

Shade
06-01-2004, 04:38 PM
It's official - God is NOT a Pacers fan.

Sheesh. :disappointed:

indygeezer
06-01-2004, 04:40 PM
MAybe all tis talk of Artest headache and AJ having flu is so much diddly poo to get the Piston players to relax just the tiniest of bits. An extra basket or two at the start wouldn't hurt.

SpADeD
06-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Artest will play, they are just exaggerating.

able
06-01-2004, 05:37 PM
I would say there's thunder brewing over yonder horizon.

KA said very ealru this year, when returning from the injury, that he wanted to play well, because he wanted to play somewhere next year as well, in other words he wanted to play himself into a decent contract anywhere.

He has not playede since.

Jamal playing is a demand by some players i think, I also think that this team now that things are going wrong are losing their cool with the coach, if we lose, expect some harsh words and a busy off season.

one way or the other

indygeezer
06-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Yes, what Able says makes sense and wold change my entire forecast for the off-season. Hopefully not.

TheSauceMaster
06-01-2004, 05:56 PM
I think there has already been Harsh words in the Locker Room this series you just haven't heard about them yet ;)

ABADays
06-01-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm getting the impression Ron is pouting. Two practices in two days!

TheSauceMaster
06-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Maybe he just looked at the game tapes and realized how terriable he has been this series , that would give me a headache too.

LAPacer
06-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I mentioned Artest might be problematic:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3650

He's just one of those guys you want on your team because of his competetive nature. But when he loses, you have to deal with him. You know the type that let work affect their life outside work. I.E. Randy Moss, you never hear anything bad when the Vikings are winning, but when they lose, he runs over traffic officers. Not that Ron is evil like Randy, but he does take his competetive edge far.