PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to lose the Pacers?

denyfizle
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
There's been some discussions before about the Pacers moving out of Indianapolis, and the recent decline in game attendance and the overall lack of interest the team generates from the state made me wonder if it's a realistic possibilty that we might lose the Pacers. The Simons have stepped down, and on top of that, you need not work for the Pacers to realize the dramatic drop in ticket sales. It seems like nobody really cares about the Pacers anymore. I'm just a regular naive Joe wondering. Can somebody provide more substantial input on the matter?

Dr. Goldfoot
01-07-2008, 01:02 PM
While not entirely out of the question, it would take several years as a bottom dweller (attendance-wise) before I became seriously worried. I'm positive the fair-weathered fans of Indianapolis and her surrounding territories will begin filing back in after the Colts season concludes.

Bball
01-07-2008, 01:09 PM
The Simons have stepped down?

-Bball

Shade
01-07-2008, 01:16 PM

-Bball

Ditto. I don't recall hearing about this anywhere.

Though not impossible, I doubt it would happen for quite a few years. Especially since Conseco has only been around 8 years or so, and attendance has only really been down for about 3 years.

Now, if things continue to get worse for the next decade or so? It's a possibility.

Bball
01-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I think the Simons stepped down (at least somewhat) from their Simon Malls operations but I didn't think they had abdicated from their PS&E perch.

-Bball

Putnam
01-07-2008, 01:30 PM
1. It is possible. The realm of possibility is vast.

2. It is unlikely.

Sure, if we project the downward trend out several years, the losses become unbearable. But economic trends don't ever continue very long before they alter.

Hicks
01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
A couple more years like this and I'll say it's very possible, but it's too soon.

Slick Pinkham
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
A bigger concern is that with revenue down, you can eventually expect wholesale roster moves driven solely by cost-cutting, to get us in the bottom third of the league in payroll,

i.e. we would give teams good players and draft picks merely to take guys with big contracts like Dun, Murph, even JO off of our hands with not much coming back.

Also this could be augmented by not signing players coming off their rookie contracts (Danny, Ike, Shawne...)

I'd think a move is a longer-term concern

Raoul Duke
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Not going to happen, relax.

Unclebuck
01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
A couple more years like this and I'll say it's very possible, but it's too soon.

ditto

Alabama-Redneck
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I think it is a great idea. The city would get rid of all those "thugs" and I'm sure the crime rate would drop 40-50%.

The city could downsize their police force and the newspapers could cut their sportswriters by 2/3's. Looks like a win-win sitution to me.

The city could hold high school and college games in Conceso and sell the place out everytime.

:applaud::whoknows::brilliant:sarcasm: :D

Unclebuck
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
The thing that worries me is that it doesn't seem to matter who the opponent is or what day of thr week the games are played. Saturday or Friday night crowds are the same as Tuesday and Wednesday night crowds and the opponent doesn't seem to matter too much.

The only two crowds that were a little higher was the Friday post Thanksgiving crowd against the Mavs. (A game that the Pacers have sold out for years. And the Saturday night post Christmas crowd against the Pistons. Typically attendance is very high right after Christmas and before New Years, because most people have a lot of free time and are looking to do something.

The only other crowd that was decent was opening night, but that was falsely inflated because the Pacers decided to include that game in each of the 4 mini-season packages.

When there are 10,000 tickets sold for a Friday night game - that is really sad, and a bit shocking

Elgin56
01-07-2008, 05:12 PM
No, but they have been hit by a perfect storm.

1.) Colt's success

2.) Economy

3.) off court problems

4.) No superstar players(JO is not)

5.) Medicore roster

6.) Bad marketing

7.) I am tired, add your own reasons

Roy Munson
01-07-2008, 05:27 PM
When there are 10,000 tickets sold for a Friday night game - that is really sad, and a bit shocking

You could look at that as a positive. If people stay away in droves it might spur management into making the changes necessary to improve the quality and likability of the team. People have to send a message.

The worst thing fans can do is to blindly support a product that is unsatisfactory. If fans do that, management has little reason to improve things.

Unclebuck
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
The worst thing fans can do is to blindly support a product that is unsatisfactory. If fans do that, management has little reason to improve things.

But I still enjoy going to the games. I still enjoy watching the Pacers play, I still enjoy watching NBA basketball in person, so I don't plan to stop going anytime soon.

Oneal07
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
If the Pacers left Indiana, I'm hoppin on the Blazers bandwagon. LOL!!! I'm An Indiana Pacers Fan not a Oklahoma City Pacers Fan. U know what I mean

tdubb03
01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I feel like this is 90% of the reason TPTB haven't "blown it up."

The popularity is at an all time low (in my lifetime as a knowing fan), imagine what 3/4 seasons of lottery basketball would do to it.

Young
01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I have said stuff along the same lines before but I don't think people like the NBA much in general.

I know of maybe one person who follows the Pacers. There are some others who did when Reggie played but that's really it. And as far as people paying attention to the NBA well not many do like they use to.

Sure it hurts not having a big time star. All the off court problems hurt. I don't think much of the Pacers marketing from what I have seen, but more then anything, as far as what the Pacers have done, I think what has hurt them is the lack of winning. No one wants to support a loser.

But I also blame the NBA a lot. I feel the NBA is more worried about retro jerseys and having fans from all over the world then they are about having fans attend the games.

You can't go to your local wal mart and buy yourself a Pacer shirt outside of Indy but boy you can sure find plenty of Colts shirts. Maybe this has more to do with demand then the leagues.

David Stern gets a lot of credit for expanding the NBA worldwide. But I also give him credit for the USA's interest in the NBA go down post Jordan era.

I have no clue if Indy will lose the Pacers but if so I blame it on the league itself more than anything.

clownskull
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
i, don't think they are going anywhere ( at least anytime soon)
there are other teams like the hornets and hawks that have had lousy attendance for many years. why the guy moved the hornets to new orleans is something i never understood in the first place i mean its not like that place was ever known for their love of hoops.
but back to the pacers and the nba in general, i have noticed while watching several games over recent years that the attendance figures must be significantly down as compared to what they used to be. this is league-wide. when i watch other teams games anymore (which isn't nearly as much as i used to) i am seeing many more empty seats than i used to. i think that not only are people getting fed up with their own teams nonsense with players behaving badly and stuff but also that we are seeing the result of ticket prices that are constantly outpacing inflation and people are saying to themselves that the are much better options for their entertainment dollars. i suspect many teams are inflating their attendance numbers.

NuffSaid
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM

-Bball

Ditto. I don't recall hearing about this anywhere.
I think what denyfizle is referring to is Simmons Bros relinquishing their position as Board chairmen in their dealings with the Fieldhouse. I recall an article that came out earlier in the season that discussed something to this effect, but can't remember where I read it nor the exact details.

idioteque
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I wish attendance would improve, it is sad that it has not.

Most of it is an NBA problem, name me one NBA that has as loyal of a following as an NFL team like the Redskins, Steelers, or Raiders. It just doesn't exist.

Part of it is a fickle fan problem. Indiana has terribly fickle fans and that reality mixed with the fact that no NBA team has a loyal following like some of the strong NFL traditional teams bodes very poorly for the Pacers.

However if we didn't band together and we lost the team, I'd probably abandon Indianapolis sports altogether, which would be difficult because I have spent my whole life rooting for the Colts and the Pacers and most of it living in Indiana. I just couldn't root side by side with "hardcore" Colts fans who let a team with a tradition as rich as the Pacers just slip away. I'd become a hardcore Skins fan, now those are some fans who give their team unconditional support. Without getting too far off topic, the "Luke" is going to be embarassingly empty when Manning retires and the Colts suck again. They might have to contact the Pacers about buying some old curtains like they had in MSA.

Lord Helmet
01-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I really think we're overreacting here. If the Pacers could just somehow do something to generate some "excitement" then I think attendance would get a little better and start to be fine overall.

But seriously, trying to win back fans with Travis Diener and Kareem Rush isn't cutting it, at least the casuals, which is a lot of the fan base.

If the the Pacers could somehow show the fans they are committed to winning a championship, I think things get a little better. Just 4-5 years ago this same thing was thought about the Colts and was probably laughed at if people asked about the Pacers leaving town.

Start winning. Get exciting players. That will get you some fans back. Sorry Larry/Donnie, I know getting that exciting player will be tough, but if you want more fans in the Fieldhouse, you're going to have to find a way.

Squirrelz
01-07-2008, 07:31 PM
No, this will never happen.

dohman
01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
if they did move how many of you would still be pacers fans?

idioteque
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
if they did move how many of you would still be pacers fans?

I wouldn't. In fact I doubt I'd care about the NBA or basketball at all for that matter.

Lord Helmet
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Another thing when you see how the Pacers handled the Brad Miller situation it just kind of further indicates how much they wanted to win and be contenders.

We gave away Brad Miller for basically nothing because, "Oh no, he's too much money." That's a load of ****, if you want to win, you make some sacrifices, you didn't have a problem inking up Jon-Jon long term.

And don't give me any of this bull**** telling me, "Brad was injury prone and isn't that good. That is why we didn't sign him for that ridiculous contract he wanted."

Well he may be injury-prone, but that didn't stop us to sign JO and name me a better scoring center we've had since Brad left. Yep. Not one. We got Scot Pollard for Brad Miller. What a damn joke of a trade that was. I liked Scot, but we may as well have gotten a 6-pack of beer in return. Just because the Simons apparently didn't want to pay for him.

And I would find it hard to root for them if they moved, I am a fan because they are my home team, and if the home team moves, I probably still follow them to my best ability but I don't care as much anymore.

But, bottom line, something needs to be done to spark some energy in this franchise.

idioteque
01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
But, bottom line, something needs to be done to spark some energy in this franchise.

Which is why it is justifiable to trade anybody on our roster right now, even Granger. Face it people, Granger is a glorified Dunleavy who at this point has some nice trade value because he is overrated among league executives but he's inconsistent on the offensive side and not a great defender, to me he's an average NBA starter on a bad-mediocre team and a 6th man on an elite team like the Mavs. And Granger will NOT be the future marketing tool of this franchise, he doesn't have the personality of a guy like Reggie to do so. He just hasn't put in the effort to make himself visible to the media off the court.

Some with Diogu, while he's a level behind Granger he's still pretty overrated. We should package these guys with a player like Dunleavy or O'Neal as sweeteners to get something interesting going on with the Pacers. The team right now, as much as I support it, is bland and mediocre.

Reckoner
01-07-2008, 08:11 PM
The whole idea of teams moving is crap. Stay or fold, and if you want to keep the same number of teams in the league then create a new team. But move ? How could anyone support a team that moves ? They would be neither the old towns team or the new towns team.

idioteque
01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
The whole idea of teams moving is crap. Stay or fold, and if you want to keep the same number of teams in the league then create a new team. But move ? How could anyone support a team that moves ? They would be neither the old towns team or the new towns team.

I'm sure a new city would embrace the Pacers. Look at the OKC situation with the Hornets.

kester99
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Dangerous talk around all these Colts fans, mate. :)

P.S. Go Packers.

Putnam
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
How could anyone support a team that moves? They would be neither the old towns team or the new towns team.

I can't recall all of them, but the list of teams that play today in a different city than where they started is very long.

The Lakers started in Minnesota.
The Jazz started in Kansas City.
The Pistons started in Ft. Wayne.
The Hornets started in Charlotte.
The Kings started in Cincinnati.

That's just a few from basketball. And as Kester points out, we're pretty content with our Colts.

Hicks
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
The Jazz were in Kansas City before New Orleans? I didn't know that.

BlueNGold
01-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Which is why it is justifiable to trade anybody on our roster right now, even Granger. Face it people, Granger is a glorified Dunleavy who at this point has some nice trade value because he is overrated among league executives but he's inconsistent on the offensive side and not a great defender, to me he's an average NBA starter on a bad-mediocre team and a 6th man on an elite team like the Mavs. And Granger will NOT be the future marketing tool of this franchise, he doesn't have the personality of a guy like Reggie to do so. He just hasn't put in the effort to make himself visible to the media off the court.

Some with Diogu, while he's a level behind Granger he's still pretty overrated. We should package these guys with a player like Dunleavy or O'Neal as sweeteners to get something interesting going on with the Pacers. The team right now, as much as I support it, is bland and mediocre.

The Simons could always sell the franchise....but I doubt it will happen for several reasons. First, they just made a huge investment in their HQ downtown. They appear to be here for the long haul....although they could always shed the Pacers. Another is that selling the franchise would definitely hurt commerce downtown including at the(ir) mall. Not sure what their financial stake is in the mall in terms of dollars, but it would be a drawback. Also, it would be very bad PR for them. In addition, they have to know things are likely to improve. The franchise has been dragged through the mud and might be seeing the bottom right now. In any event, if we get much worse, we will be drafting Eric Gordon and then they sell a whole lot more tickets. :D

As for trading players, no one should be off limits. However, I doubt Granger will be traded because he is young, pretty good, and a good citizen. Basically, he represents an appreciating asset with very low risk....which is usually a very good investment you hang onto.

The real trick will be what happens with JO during the next year or so. IMO, you can forget about him resigning with the Pacers because of his relationship with Bird, the mediocre status of the team and his own interest of competing for a championship. Fortunately, the team will be forced to make a move or lose Granger, Williams and/or Diogu in the next year or two. Know anyone with a big fat expiring and multiple first round picks?

Putnam
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
The Jazz were in Kansas City before New Orleans? I didn't know that.

I didn't know it either. Like a moron :loser: I typed without thinking.

The Cincinnati Royals moved to Kansas City and became the Kings. (they actually started in Rochester, NY.) The Jazz started, as you say, in New Orleans.

BlueNGold, good comments, there.

Roaming Gnome
01-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I can't recall all of them, but the list of teams that play today in a different city than where they started is very long.

That's just a few from basketball. And as Kester points out, we're pretty content with our Colts.

Started me wondering....If there are more relocated team then there are original teams.

Relocated Franchises: 14
Atlanta Hawks (Tri-Cities Blackhawks; Moline IL/Davenport IA)
Warriors (Phila. Warriors)
Kings (Rochester Royals)
Lakers (Minneapolis Lakers)
Clippers (Buffalo Braves)
Rockets (San Diego Rockets)
Grizzlies (Vancouver Grizzlies)
Hornets (Charlotte Hornets)
76ers (Syracuse Nationals)
Spurs (Dallas Chapparrals)
Jazz (New Orleans Jazz)
Wizards (Chicago Packers)
Pistons (Zollner Pistons; Fort Waynen IN)
Nets (New York Nets, but started as the New Jersey Americans)

Original Frachise: 16
Boston Celtics
Seattle Sonics
Portland Trailblazers
Phoenix Suns
Charlotte Bobcats
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavricks
Denver Nuggets (Originally named: Denver Rockets, not to be confused with the Rocket franchise)
Indiana Pacers
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New York Knicks
Orlando Magic
Toronto Raptors

Looks like there are nearly as many relocated franchises as there are original franchises. If you take away the recent expansions.... The NBA would nearly be all relocated teams. I was suprised to see how many teams that were relocated.

Reckoner
01-08-2008, 01:53 AM

Yeah it seems very popular and accepted in the States. Didn't mean any offence (don't follow NFL so don't know anything the Colts at all - just that Bill Simmons is obsessed with Mannings face ;) ), just giving my perspective.

In major sporting leagues outside of the States it's very rare. Teams aren't considered franchises (ownership structures are generally different in most cases) and where they are located is nearly (actually probably is) their whole identity. A last gasp move to save from bankruptcy is about the only reason a team will move. Even then most fans would rather see them die. Otherwise it's just about civil war trying to make it happen.

LG33
01-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Started me wondering....If there are more relocated team then there are original teams.

Relocated Franchises: 14
Atlanta Hawks (Tri-Cities Blackhawks; Moline IL/Davenport IA)
Warriors (Phila. Warriors)
Kings (Rochester Royals)
Lakers (Minneapolis Lakers)
Clippers (Buffalo Braves)
Rockets (San Diego Rockets)
Grizzlies (Vancouver Grizzlies)
Hornets (Charlotte Hornets)
76ers (Syracuse Nationals)
Spurs (Dallas Chapparrals)
Jazz (New Orleans Jazz)
Wizards (Chicago Packers)
Pistons (Zollner Pistons; Fort Waynen IN)
Nets (New York Nets, but started as the New Jersey Americans)

Some great names there.

Naptown_Seth
01-08-2008, 04:38 AM
I think it is a great idea. The city would get rid of all those "thugs" and I'm sure the crime rate would drop 40-50%.

The city could downsize their police force and the newspapers could cut their sportswriters by 2/3's. Looks like a win-win sitution to me.

The city could hold high school and college games in Conceso and sell the place out everytime.

And yet sarcasm aside there are those that think your last line is true. I would love for them to be foolish enough to try and pack Conseco for college/HS games just to make my ongoing point/rant about "Hoosiers".

Obviously the problem goes a lot further than the Pacers. I mean it's not that bad a drive up to W. Laf, but the people skipping Pacers games aren't going up there instead. And despite what they say I'm pretty sure none of them without kids in HS are swinging by the local HS gym just to get their basketball fix.

Bball
01-08-2008, 04:43 AM
And yet sarcasm aside there are those that think your last line is true. I would love for them to be foolish enough to try and pack Conseco for college/HS games just to make my ongoing point/rant about "Hoosiers".

Obviously the problem goes a lot further than the Pacers. I mean it's not that bad a drive up to W. Laf, but the people skipping Pacers games aren't going up there instead. And despite what they say I'm pretty sure none of them without kids in HS are swinging by the local HS gym just to get their basketball fix.

With class basketball, I don't think anyone has to worry about HS games outdrawing the Pacers.

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Not only did some of those teams move, but they did it more than once. The Clippers went from Buffalo to San Diego and then LA for example.

And while I do agree with the idea that the name and colors maybe should stay at the original city if possible, I'm pretty sure we are more than comfortable with the Dodgers and the Giants being in LA/SF. I mean the volume of history those two teams have in their new cities matches what they had back in NY, and that's saying something.

I do wish the Colts had left "Colts" back in Baltimore. But once they kept it and we learned to love it there is no way we are giving it up now.

With class basketball, I don't think anyone has to worry about HS games outdrawing the Pacers.

-Bball
Without a doubt.

But people watch that film and act like it's still true, at least some people do. Texas might still be living Friday Night Lights, but we aren't living Hoosiers one bit. I'm no die-hard myself, but I'll make that W. Laf drive a couple of times and did so even when they stunk in recent years.

RomanGabriel
01-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Some great names there.
Here's some even cooler names from the ABA, most of which I saw as a young-un;
Pittsburgh Pipers and Condors
Oakland Oaks
New Orleans Buccaneers
Minnesota Muskies
Carolina Cougars
Virginia Squires
San Diego Conquistadors
Memphis Pros, Tams (get it, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi), and Sounds
Spirits of St. Louis (the bad-*** team of all time featuring Marvin "Bad News" Barnes, Maurice Lucas, Gus Gerard, Fly Williams, and M.L. Carr).

naptownmenace
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM

LOL

LG33
01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's some even cooler names from the ABA, most of which I saw as a young-un;
Pittsburgh Pipers and Condors
Oakland Oaks
New Orleans Buccaneers
Minnesota Muskies
Carolina Cougars
Virginia Squires
San Diego Conquistadors
Memphis Pros, Tams (get it, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi), and Sounds
Spirits of St. Louis (the bad-*** team of all time featuring Marvin "Bad News" Barnes, Maurice Lucas, Gus Gerard, Fly Williams, and M.L. Carr).

Those are damn good ones, don't get me wrong, but something about New Jersey Americans just hits the right chord. In a related thought, I think our national team should from now on be named, in honor of Miss South Carolina, the US Americans.

owl
01-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Before class basketball they could have filled Conseco with some games. Class basketball
killed HS basketball in Indiana and the following it had. That was part of what Indiana was.
Yep, pretty much drove a stake right through the heart.

LG33
01-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, after this season's 'performance', I'd think the Pacers would be more worried about losing us than vice versa. I mean, the few of us who still care, though are really trying hard not to.

ChicagoPacer
01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Another thing to consider are cities we could lose them to. A lot of cities have baseball, which at first glance wouldn't seem to matter, but baseball takes a lot of an economy's revenue $$$ w/ 81 games. A city can support basketball + football for the same cost as baseball.

-You can rule out Indy-sized towns with baseball like KC and Cincinnati.
-You can rule out towns that already have two sports that carry into winter like St. Louis + Buffalo
-You can rule out towns that are close to competing franchises like Tampa and Baltimore and probably San Jose
-You can rule out any town with baseball and one competing winter sport, because those w/out basketball are too small for it with that kind of competition (Pittsburgh)

Bigger than Indy:
Seattle - assuming loss to OKC. If no Sonics, why Pacers?
San Diego - southern CA and baseball

About the same size:
Virginia Beach
Vegas - gambling???
Columbus OH
Jacksonville
Louisville
Richmond
Nashville - Memphis to allow??

I don't see a lot of exciting alternatives from a business perspective.

LG33
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I say they move to Atlantic City and become the Garden State Warriors.

Putnam
01-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I say they move to Atlantic City and become the Garden State Warriors.

I say they move to central Georgia and become the Macon Whoopies.

kester99
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I say they move to central Georgia and become the Macon Whoopies.

That was horr-r-rible. Well done.

I just want to say this one more time....Speedway Supersonics. Huh? Huh?

denyfizle
01-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I really think we're overreacting here. If the Pacers could just somehow do something to generate some "excitement" then I think attendance would get a little better and start to be fine overall.

But seriously, trying to win back fans with Travis Diener and Kareem Rush isn't cutting it, at least the casuals, which is a lot of the fan base.

If the the Pacers could somehow show the fans they are committed to winning a championship, I think things get a little better. Just 4-5 years ago this same thing was thought about the Colts and was probably laughed at if people asked about the Pacers leaving town.

Start winning. Get exciting players. That will get you some fans back. Sorry Larry/Donnie, I know getting that exciting player will be tough, but if you want more fans in the Fieldhouse, you're going to have to find a way.

I'm not overreacting, just curious. I have been working with the Pacers for years now with the exception of last season because I moved out of state. Since the 61 win season I have seen a steady decline in attendance. I mean, even the playoffs weren't all sold out during that time. This season though, in terms of attendance, is really painful to see. Weekend games don't even generate interest anymore. Season ticket holders would attest to it. I hope the team stays. Maybe blowing this whole thing up isn't such a bad thing to do right now. I mean, what's worse than people not caring about you? Maybe by blowing it up we can regenerate a new fan base that can support the new team from the ground up.

The Hero
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
If the Simons were more concerned with profit and prestige then I think that they might move. But they bought this team in the first place to keep it here in this city.

joeyd
01-09-2008, 11:46 PM
If the Simons were more concerned with profit and prestige then I think that they might move. But they bought this team in the first place to keep it here in this city.

I agree. As long as the Simons own the franchise, it will stay here. At least one of them lives here, and his family just made a huge donation to the IU Cancer Center and Riley Children's Hospital, so they are interested in being good ambassadors to the state. I'd be more concerned about them selling the Pacers, as they are getting up there in the years, but my guess is that they will somehow keep the franchise in the family and keep it here. As for the money that the team makes, they have Simon properties; I am no financial wizard, but I'm thinking that the money they make from that would dwarf the income from an NBA franchise, especially in a recession, which I think we are now in.