PDA

View Full Version : Great, I just lost my job

Shade
01-06-2008, 02:18 AM
The restaurant in the Music Mill (where I work(ed)) just closed today.

I can't say I'm totally surprised. Some of us had been speculating about it for a bit because of weird things going on (people coming in and measuring stuff, etc.).

I'm pissed because (A) I really liked my job, and (B) the owners could have done a lot more to improve business, but just didn't seem to give a damn.

Looking for a new job when a new semester is just starting and right after losing a substantial amount of financial aid for school is just really hard to take right now.

kester99
01-06-2008, 02:34 AM
What's your major, Shade? Not that I have any connections in Indy anymore, but someone here might. Would be good info to get out there.

And uh, bummer, as we used to say.

LG33
01-06-2008, 02:35 AM
We will start a fund if necessary.

BTW, I will also be unemployed by the end of this semester, my last in college.

Shade
01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
What's your major, Shade? Not that I have any connections in Indy anymore, but someone here might. Would be good info to get out there.

And uh, bummer, as we used to say.

I'm on the verge of getting my BD in New Media. I'll likely be looking for something in the realm of film or web design when I finish in December.

I'm really upset because I really, really liked my job, which had a lot to do with the people I worked with. It's almost like losing friends/family. And I absolutely dread starting a new job from scratch.

Sad as it may sound, my job was probably the best thing I had going in my life right now. Now it's gone, and all that's left is...crap, pretty much.

:cry:

Shade
01-06-2008, 02:54 AM
We will start a fund if necessary.

BTW, I will also be unemployed by the end of this semester, my last in college.

I'm living with my parents right now, but I've been trying pretty hard to save as much money as I can to get out. But every time I save a little, something comes up; like losing all of my state funding for school, and then losing my job. And I still have two more semesters of school to go.

I seriously just feel like I'm going to lose no matter what I try to do. It's really depressing.

kester99
01-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Well, I can't say much that won't seem like a bunch of cliches, BUT...three years ago I was in a job that just made me cringe whenever I realized it was almost time to go to work: doing phone tech support for Cox cable, about 50 calls a night, one after the other from enraged people whose internet or tv were out and they "pay GOOD MONEY FOR THIS CRAPPY SERVICE!!!" Etc, etc.
50 calls a night. Jesus God.

Then out of the blue I got a call for an interview for my current job. Best darn job I ever had. But if you'd asked me about the future some time during my phone tech support gig, I'd have probably said there wasn't one. You just never know what's around the corner.

But one thing that is in your control is your steely determination, homes. (That even sounds good, right?) No defeat, no surrender. No ******. As Hunter Thompson said: When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

It sounds like you're going in the right direction, going for your degree. So keep your head in the game. Coach may call you off the bench anytime.

heywoode
01-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Well, I can't say much that won't seem like a bunch of cliches, BUT...three years ago I was in a job that just made me cringe whenever I realized it was almost time to go to work: doing phone tech support for Cox cable, about 50 calls a night, one after the other from enraged people whose internet or tv were out and they "pay GOOD MONEY FOR THIS CRAPPY SERVICE!!!" Etc, etc.
50 calls a night. Jesus God.

Then out of the blue I got a call for an interview for my current job. Best darn job I ever had. But if you'd asked me about the future some time during my phone tech support gig, I'd have probably said there wasn't one. You just never know what's around the corner.

But one thing that is in your control is your steely determination, homes. (That even sounds good, right?) No defeat, no surrender. No ******. As Hunter Thompson said: When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

It sounds like you're going in the right direction, going for your degree. So keep your head in the game. Coach may call you off the bench anytime.

Very good advice. Most of the time, cliche's become cliche's because they are so true...

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, Shade. Hope something does open up for you...

Bball
01-06-2008, 04:25 AM
I seriously just feel like I'm going to lose no matter what I try to do. It's really depressing.

Welcome to the club. Just remember that you are never allowed to catch up. Every windfall is followed by a surprise bill... or two... or three... or four... or sudden loss of job or contract.

But once you accept that, then you can just laugh when you get home from depositing that bonus/overtime check in the bank and then you open the mailbox and find a major tax bill, rising property taxes, etc... or the car breaks down in a major way on the way home from the bank!

Lord Helmet
01-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Welcome to the club. Just remember that you are never allowed to catch up. Every windfall is followed by a surprise bill... or two... or three... or four... or sudden loss of job or contract.

But once you accept that, then you can just laugh when you get home from depositing that bonus/overtime check in the bank and then you open the mailbox and find a major tax bill, rising property taxes, etc... or the car breaks down in a major way on the way home from the bank!
Thanks for the uplifting words! :laugh:

FireTheCoach
01-06-2008, 06:06 AM

I haven't worked a real job since last August.... yee haaaaa! Don't think I'll be going back to "work" till it warms up next spring at the earliest... hopefully I can manage to hustle money well enough to not go back to work at all... I really really really hate working.. I tried it, and it sucks.

kester99
01-06-2008, 06:11 AM
That's the ticket! Shade could become a fisherman, pulling 80-lb salmon out of Eagle Creek. :)

Lord Helmet
01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I haven't worked a real job since last August.... yee haaaaa! Don't think I'll be going back to "work" till it warms up next spring at the earliest... hopefully I can manage to hustle money well enough to not go back to work at all... I really really really hate working.. I tried it, and it sucks.
I hate work and I've never had a job! :dance:

Erik
01-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I can't say I'm totally surprised. Some of us had been speculating about it for a bit because of weird things going on (people coming in and measuring stuff, etc.).

Very nice, they tell you guys at the last minute? If that's the case and there are more of those resteraunts around I'd like to know so I don't go there anymore. Good luck finding a new job, they're out there.

Raskolnikov
01-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, Shade.

True words. Keep your head up, man.

Shade
01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Very nice, they tell you guys at the last minute? If that's the case and there are more of those resteraunts around I'd like to know so I don't go there anymore. Good luck finding a new job, they're out there.

Of course! Do they ever NOT tell everyone at the last possible minute?

But, like I said, the writing was on the wall. The only real question was when the hammer would drop. I was hoping I would have until at least the summer so that I could focus exclusively on school instead of also having to start a new job from scratch. No such luck.

In fact, we had a staff meeting scheduled for this Thursday, which had me worried, because we haven't had one of those in a long time, and with all the other weirdness going on (people coming in and measuring parts of the restaurant, constant meetings of random people with the owners), I was thinking that this exact thing might happen. At least they just had the store manager call everyone instead and saved me the time and gas to drive all the way up there just to effectively be fired.

I didn't sleep hardly at all last night. This really was more than just a job to me, and it hurts to lose it, because I know the odds of seeing any of the people I used to talk with and work with almost every day are very slim. And our current staff was one of, if not the, favorite staffs I've ever worked with. And I liked the atmosphere, too. I actually felt comfortable when I went into work, which is rare.

But, hey, stuff like this is why I decided to go back to school in the first place.

I really have no idea what I'm going to do now. Living out in the middle of nowhere (Pendleton) really doesn't help my job prospects much, either.

Ugh.

LG33
01-06-2008, 01:25 PM

Doesn't this belong on the main board?

Shade
01-06-2008, 01:52 PM

:confused:

Maybe it's just the state of mind I'm in right now, but I don't get it.

Mourning
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
That's the ticket! Shade could become a fisherman, pulling 80-lb salmon out of Eagle Creek. :)

:lol:

Don't let everything happenning around you get you down, Shade. Live has it's twists but, yeah, it's a cliche, perseverance mostly does pay off ;).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Skaut_Ech
01-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Sad as it may sound, my job was probably the best thing I had going in my life right now. Now it's gone, and all that's left is...crap, pretty much.

:cry:

Look at the bright side. Now you can become a professional mtg player! :happydanc

:mygod::sadbanana:sadbanana:disappoin

Man, I feel for you. Been there.

Hicks
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I hate to hear it, Shade. However, going by what I know of you and what the others are encouraging, you're pretty obviously to me a survivor who will land on his feet somewhere in the near future. Keep giving fate the finger until it's on your side!

kester99
01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
One thing I thought of, Shade, was that you might try to get with some of the other folks losing their jobs there to see if they've got any lines on restaurant gigs opening up. Networking, eh? They'll all have their feelers out, too, and who knows, best case could be you find a job where some of those familiar faces are also getting picked up.

On LG33's main board remark, I think he was just getting at the 'feel like we'll lose no matter what we do' thing, and applying it to the Pacers, BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A FUNNY GUY. ;)

Anyway, hang in there. Who knows? We may cream the Lakers tonight, and absolutely everybody will feel better. (Or we can all be miserable together, as the case may be.)

Shade
01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Look at the bright side. Now you can become a professional mtg player! :happydanc

:mygod::sadbanana:sadbanana:disappoin

Man, I feel for you. Been there.

Well, as long as I can win with all-common decks, since I can no longer afford cards... :shrug:

I guess I should have been suspicious that I kept getting so many Friday nights off. Well, now I have them ALL off! :yay: :(

Ugh, this just really sucks. I really, REALLY liked my job. Damn idiot owners who don't know how to properly run a damn business... :mad:

Shade
01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
One thing I thought of, Shade, was that you might try to get with some of the other folks losing their jobs there to see if they've got any lines on restaurant gigs opening up. Networking, eh? They'll all have their feelers out, too, and who knows, best case could be you find a job where some of those familiar faces are also getting picked up.

On LG33's main board remark, I think he was just getting at the 'feel like we'll lose no matter what we do' thing, and applying it to the Pacers, BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A FUNNY GUY. ;)

Anyway, hang in there. Who knows? We may cream the Lakers tonight, and absolutely everybody will feel better. (Or we can all be miserable together, as the case may be.)

That's actually a great idea. I was just thinking about the same thing a little while ago. In fact, the store owner who called me with the bad news said that he would let me know if anything came up in his network, so that's always good.

I think my main problem is that my job was kind of my "get away place," weird as that is. Otherwise, I'm currently living with my parents again (which is pretty rough sometimes), and have full-time school (which I'm pretty much burned out on; not the classes, just the overall school environment). I don't really have much else going on socially because I live so far away from all my friends and I'm too poor to dive out to visit them/do anything.

The Colts winning another Super Bowl would make me feel a LITTLE better... *hint, hint* ;)

Shade
01-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I hate to hear it, Shade. However, going by what I know of you and what the others are encouraging, you're pretty obviously to me a survivor who will land on his feet somewhere in the near future. Keep giving fate the finger until it's on your side!

Does that work? Because if it does, I'm going to start flipping off EVERYONE until everyone is on my side! :yay2:

kester99
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
The Colts winning another Super Bowl would make me feel a LITTLE better... *hint, hint* ;)

Well, I do hope you feel better...but I'm a Packers fan.

Don't hate.

Shade
01-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, I do hope you feel better...but I'm a Packers fan.

Don't hate.

The Packers are my second-favorite team, so I would be ecstatic to see a Colts/Pack SB.

kester99
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
The Packers are my second-favorite team, so I would be ecstatic to see a Colts/Pack SB.

Yep, that'd be cool.

When I was growing up in Indiana, the Colts were in Baltimore. Everyone seemed to either be a Packers fan, or a Bears fan, or STL Cardinals (where they belong!)...later Cincy picked up a few, and Dallas, because they had so much TV coverage.

Once I became a Pack fan, I was stuck (gladly). I do go with the Colts in the AFC.

JayRedd
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM

:confused:

Maybe it's just the state of mind I'm in right now, but I don't get it.

Not your fault, Shade, it's just not funny. And that, really, is the lesson you can take away from this thread.

Things might be looking down now, buddy, but just always remember that at least you are not LoneGranger. So no matter what you're going through, it could be worse.

Sorry to hear your place got shut down, and good luck finding a new gig at the cracker factory.

indygeezer
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Do not let THEM smell blood. If they do,they will beat you down. That is my personal #1 axiom from my divorce many years ago. Joblessness...divorce it doesn't matter...the same they are out to get you.

Funny sidenote....

Many....no, MANY years ago, a buddy of mine and I used to dress up and grab clipboards. We'd walk into some area of the plant where we weren't known and then start measuring things and making notes. We always ended by shaking our heads, conferring over the clipboards, and silently/solemnly walking away.

We were janitors.

Stryder
01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Not to be mean, but there are plenty of jobs out there, you just have to look.

Any fast food restaurant, grocery store, etc.

Good luck. Keep your head up. Everything will turn out alright.

Doug
01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Bummer, and good luck.

The saying is that when God closes one door, he opens another.

Truth is, the other door is open all the time.

So, now is as good as time as any to figure out what you want to do, and start doing it (or at least working toward it).

If the group of people you worked with were good, and the business was viable but just mismanaged, can the group of you put together a management team, find financing, and buy it?

I know that sounds fairly ambitious, but stranger and more outlandish things have happened.

Unclebuck
01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Shade, I'm very sorry to hear about this, I know you liked your job and I know you needed this job.

If I can help in anyway, I will. I don't know anyone in the resturant industry though.

Los Angeles
01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Drag. Hey shade, you just need a job "for now" so don't sweat it too much. The next one is right around the corner and if worse comes to worse you can get additional student loans. Yeah yeah, I know nobody wants to borrow money but I'd rather have loans and a degree than neither.

In your last semester, we should talk about getting your portfolio ready and work on finding you an internship.

You'll do fine.

Shade
01-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Drag. Hey shade, you just need a job "for now" so don't sweat it too much. The next one is right around the corner and if worse comes to worse you can get additional student loans. Yeah yeah, I know nobody wants to borrow money but I'd rather have loans and a degree than neither.

In your last semester, we should talk about getting your portfolio ready and work on finding you an internship.

You'll do fine.

Yeah, I know any jobs I get are just "for now," and this is yet another reminder of why I went back to school in the first place. But I really liked it there, and really didn't want to spend the beginning of a new semester looking for and getting acclimated to a new job. Plus, the fact I'm in school certainly won't work in my favor while I'm trying to find a new job because it will limit my hours a bit, which I'm sure will make potential employers hesitate.

I'm trying to see if there are any paid internships out there. That would be perfect considering my current situation, even though I'm sure the pay wouldn't be too hot. It's not like I was making a Fortune at the MM ($7.50/hr.). But so far, all the internships in my field are non-paying, and I just need the money too much right now.

I plan on spending the summer putting together my portfolio, and am even trying to plan a big film project with some friends that I can use as a centerpiece, showcasing all the skills I've learned so far. It's a big reason I chose to have my graduation in December rather than May.

Raoul Duke
01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I know any jobs I get are just "for now," and this is yet another reminder of why I went back to school in the first place. But I really liked it there, and really didn't want to spend the beginning of a new semester looking for and getting acclimated to a new job. Plus, the fact I'm in school certainly won't work in my favor while I'm trying to find a new job because it will limit my hours a bit, which I'm sure will make potential employers hesitate.

I'm trying to see if there are any paid internships out there. That would be perfect considering my current situation, even though I'm sure the pay wouldn't be too hot. It's not like I was making a Fortune at the MM ($7.50/hr.). But so far, all the internships in my field are non-paying, and I just need the money too much right now.

I plan on spending the summer putting together my portfolio, and am even trying to plan a big film project with some friends that I can use as a centerpiece, showcasing all the skills I've learned so far. It's a big reason I chose to have my graduation in December rather than May.

I take it you're in Informatics if its New Media? If you're decent with web design you should be able to find some work. Have you had any kind of experience. I think you are looking in the wrong places for internships. I'm in Informatics (just regular Informatics in Bloomington) and I've had some bad ***, pretty high paying ($15/hr) internships.

Shade
01-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I take it you're in Informatics if its New Media? If you're decent with web design you should be able to find some work. Have you had any kind of experience. I think you are looking in the wrong places for internships. I'm in Informatics (just regular Informatics in Bloomington) and I've had some bad ***, pretty high paying ($15/hr) internships.

Yeah, I'm in Informatics at IUPUI. I have some basic web experience. I've worked with HTML, XHTML, and CSS, and some basic form validation. But I don't know that I feel comfortable (yet) with trying my skills on a real-world client.

Shade
01-07-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this, but I have a question.

I just went to the Music Mill website to see if there was any announcement about the restaurant closing, and found this:

Music Mill Restaurant
Temporarily Closed
The Music Mill Restaurant will be
temporarily closed while we renovate.
You can still purchase tickets at the
box office located here at the Music
Mill. Box office hours are 11:00am -
7:00pm Monday through Saturday.

So, my question is, if this is in fact temporary, can those of us who were laid off draw unemployment off of them if they decide to reopen the restaurant but not give us our jobs back? Even if they keep the restaurant closed, can we draw unemployment due to the fact that the venue is still open?

Also, is there any way to realistically salvage the week's vacation I was supposed to get because I had been there over a year (it's in the employee handbook)?

I'm totally willing to wait them out if my job is waiting for me after "renovation" is complete. I really liked my job and I'm willing to fight for it if I have to.

Unclebuck
01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this, but I have a question.

I just went to the Music Mill website to see if there was any announcement about the restaurant closing, and found this:

Music Mill Restaurant
Temporarily Closed
The Music Mill Restaurant will be
temporarily closed while we renovate.
You can still purchase tickets at the
box office located here at the Music
Mill. Box office hours are 11:00am -
7:00pm Monday through Saturday.

So, my question is, if this is in fact temporary, can those of us who were laid off draw unemployment off of them if they decide to reopen the restaurant but not give us our jobs back? Even if they keep the restaurant closed, can we draw unemployment due to the fact that the venue is still open?

Also, is there any way to realistically salvage the week's vacation I was supposed to get because I had been there over a year (it's in the employee handbook)?

I'm totally willing to wait them out if my job is waiting for me after "renovation" is complete. I really liked my job and I'm willing to fight for it if I have to.

You should file for unemployment, I don't have the website here at work. But you should be able to file and collect because you did not quit and were not fired. There is a 4 week (I think waiting period) and your benefits are dependent upon past earnings. But it is easy to file and collect online. - Look under Indiana unemployment insurance.

Not sure about the week's vacation. If I were you I would call one of the managers and see what they say. Have there been any offers of severance packages. The managers i would think have been offered something. I would look into it.

I assume the Music Mill was not owned by some larger corporation or entity, but if they are you should be trying to find our who actually owns it.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the place re-opening a lot of places claim to be closed for renovation and never re-open.

SycamoreKen
01-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your job loss Shade. Travmil and i went through the same thing when we worked at Columbia House. We knew it was coming, and one day it did. We sat around while the head hunter called us in one at a time and let us go. My wife, we were just dating at the time, kept working up until they called her in. The rest of us sat and waited. We ended up getting married and living with her parents for a year while she went to school and I substitute taught.

I would encourage you to take all the positives you can from the experience and move forward. It sounds like you have a great game plan for the future, so don't let this bump in the road get you down too much. Remember, you always have your buddies here to keep you company.