PDA

View Full Version : Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

esabyrn333
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I am coaching my sons basketball team down here in the bayou and I need a offense they would be able to comprehend and actually run. I wrestled in high school and know the fundamentals and basic drills from my Junior high days for them to run. Down here they take basketball about as serious as they do cross country or girls volleyball. I can't find a single parent that has a clue. Does anyone know of any web sites or have an O I can teach them. Everyone assumes that just because I am from Indy I know all this stuff already. Hell compared to them maybe I do. Any help anyone can give would be useful.

dgranger
01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
If this isnt what your looking for let me know. It might be a little much for their age, but it should help a little if its what your looking for.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/32MotionDrills.html

Doug
01-05-2008, 11:37 AM
If this isnt what your looking for let me know. It might be a little much for their age, but it should help a little if its what your looking for.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/32MotionDrills.html

That's more or less what my sons 5th grade team is running. PG passes to the wing, then picks away. The F/C are on the blocks - post, then pick away. The wing player can hit either post or the cutter, or dribble or pass back to the top and reset. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Keep moving.

I'm not coaching his team - his coach knows his stuff, though, he's very good.

I coached 5th/6th girls last year. We had a combination of set plays that were basically designed to give each girl a "play" where she could roll of a pick, receive a pass, and shoot (preferably a layup). We also had an "offense" that was more free-form - basically pass to the wing, look to the post, back to top, repeat - like the one above. I also tended to focus a LOT on fundamental shooting and dribbling and passing. Especially shooting. Add in things like defense positioning, rebounding. So many skills that need to be taught.

What you can do will depend upon how much practice time you have.

thunderbird1245
01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I've got lots of things to help you with this. I'll try and PM you later this weekend.

tbird

esabyrn333
01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
That's more or less what my sons 5th grade team is running. PG passes to the wing, then picks away. The F/C are on the blocks - post, then pick away. The wing player can hit either post or the cutter, or dribble or pass back to the top and reset. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Keep moving.

I'm not coaching his team - his coach knows his stuff, though, he's very good.

I coached 5th/6th girls last year. We had a combination of set plays that were basically designed to give each girl a "play" where she could roll of a pick, receive a pass, and shoot (preferably a layup). We also had an "offense" that was more free-form - basically pass to the wing, look to the post, back to top, repeat - like the one above. I also tended to focus a LOT on fundamental shooting and dribbling and passing. Especially shooting. Add in things like defense positioning, rebounding. So many skills that need to be taught.

What you can do will depend upon how much practice time you have.

I had to find an outside court to have practice because they gave me 3 1 hour practices to teach them everything they need to know. I have 3 weeks until my first game so I am going to have at least 4 practices a week untill the first game and then I will probably cut it down to 3 practices a week. I told them win or loss I can promise that they are going to be the most inshape team in the league. The first week I am concentrating on the fundementals and the beautiful art of windsprints. I really believe I have a team that should do very well with the raw athelitic ability alone.

JayRedd
01-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I recommend the Triangle.

Trader Joe
01-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Picket fence! Rinse and repeat.

Major Cold
01-05-2008, 03:14 PM
if you have a strong ball handler and shooters I would go with the motion . If you have slashers go with the 1-4. If you have post players then do a high low. These are basic and can help them understand team play.

andreialta
01-05-2008, 05:27 PM
just Run, Run, Run, RUn!!

Motion offense, just tell them to pass the ball till someone gets open!

4 passes before they take a shot!

and on defense, always play Zone!

Zone Zone Zone Zone Zone!

haha. thats just how i grew up on when i was coached by my dad and it made basketball fun when i was a kid!

kester99
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Fundamentals.

And a pick-an-roll's not that complicated, but effective even in the pros...got to have a couple of bodies that can hit a shot, though....and kids that don't forget which is the left foot and which is the right under pressure.

esabyrn333
01-05-2008, 05:53 PM
just Run, Run, Run, RUn!!

Motion offense, just tell them to pass the ball till someone gets open!

4 passes before they take a shot!

haha. thats just how i grew up on when i was coached by my dad and it made basketball fun when i was a kid!

Thats what I drilled into there heads so far today. I taught them how to pick and I think my weakest link broke his arm today. Kid acts like he has been stuck in front of a T.V. since he was born. He keeps begging he parents to quit. If I don't do anything this year I am going to make that little dude into a man. He reminds me of a white steve Irkle. I have 10 guys so I had them just running getting the motion down. I have them playing a 2 3 zone and have the point guard pressuring the other teams PG every trip down. Just got to teach them a basic O to run I think I want a motion quick flowing O.

King Tuts Tomb
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I've coached 5th and 6th grade girls basketball at a local elementary school for the last few years and I don't even bother with anything beyond simple pick and rolls. Just run every time. Depending on your talent level you can probably throw in a few plays, but what's really important is getting them to love the game. The more you run, the more shots you get, the more each player will be involved, the more they enjoy it.

And play Knockout. They LOVE Knockout

esabyrn333
01-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I've coached 5th and 6th grade girls basketball at a local elementary school for the last few years and I don't even bother with anything beyond simple pick and rolls. Just run every time. Depending on your talent level you can probably throw in a few plays, but what's really important is getting them to love the game. The more you run, the more shots you get, the more each player will be involved, the more they enjoy it.

And play Knockout. They LOVE Knockout

what is knock-out

Trader Joe
01-05-2008, 06:49 PM
The two things I remember from basketball at that age were...
1.) Four people must touch the ball before it is shot
and
2.) Our coach successfully instilled the triangle offense in our Carmel Dad's Club team and we won every game by an average of like 18 points on our way to the championship. I STILL to this day remember my role in that offense and could probably run my role in my sleep. We practiced it that much.

rexnom
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I recommend the Triangle.
I went to the freshman football coaches meeting once in high school and I told them three words: "West Coast Offense." Didn't take. Go figure.

indyman37
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
If it helps, the motion offense is used in every level of basketball. i had to learn it for my high school varsity team.

Young
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I am no expert here but I always thought you were suppose to stick with man to man defense in youth basketball and stay away from zone? Maybe not.

indyman37
01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I am no expert here but I always thought you were suppose to stick with man to man defense in youth basketball and stay away from zone? Maybe not.
i heard a funny story about that. in the upwards basketball league for little kids, they make each player wear a special colored wristband. however had the same colored wristband as you, you were supposed to guard them.

Bridge
01-05-2008, 10:52 PM
My coaches had me running the motion offense, and the the flex offense from 2nd grade AAU clear through college. We also had set plays from that formation to mix it up some.

Every team is different, and you have to run what your team is able to run. I have seen teams that age that get lost running up and down the court, and others that could play with a bad high school JV team.

andreialta
01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
it was instilled in my brain that we need to pass the ball 4 times before any of us can shoot..

since in my league back then, there was no shot clock, so it was useful.

but running and pick and roll always works since the refs are not gonna call illegal picks. haha

Haggard
01-06-2008, 11:05 AM
[quote=andreialta;639248]Motion offense, just tell them to pass the ball till someone gets open!

/[quote]

Again i would recommend a basic motion offence. Try to drill in to them early on not to stand stagnant in offence. Try to encourage good ball reversal too.

And on D, i would play zone. alternate between a 2 3 and a 3 2. keeps it relatively simple for the youngins and teaches them to work as a team.

Rajah Brown
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Indy-

Just curious, who was that Carmel Dad's Club coach ?

idioteque
01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
For that age group, you could always go for the Isiah Thomas offense, which paradoxically, means you do whatever you want and don't run a structured offense at all. I think he calls it the "quick."

Doug
01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Zone might be more effective in youth bball - since good shooters are rare - but I believe you are better off teaching the fundamentals of man-to-man defense. I think it's better for player development.

And, IMO, teaching fundamental basketball skills (and teamwork) should be the primary focus of youth basketball. Everybody wants to win, and even in "rec" leagues there's pressure to win. But teaching the fundamentals and playing "the right way" - hustle, passing, getting everyone involved - should take priority.

Trader Joe
01-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Indy-

Just curious, who was that Carmel Dad's Club coach ?

I don't remember his name for sure. But our PG's last name was Wirthwein I think and we had a center named Pepmeier. I can't remember our coaches name though.

Naptown_Seth
01-06-2008, 05:04 PM
but running and pick and roll always works since the refs are not gonna call illegal picks. haha
So Pick and Roll ala Jeff Saturday rather than Jeff Foster? :D

"Wow, he gets down the lane untouched every time!"

JayRedd
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I went to the freshman football coaches meeting once in high school and I told them three words: "West Coast Offense." Didn't take. Go figure.

Shoulda gone with the Run and Shoot.

On a serious note though, unless you're team is clearly outmatched size-wise in a given game, zone defense it retarded. Don't use it.

Hicks
01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Dare I ask why it's "retarded"?

JayRedd
01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Dare I ask why it's "retarded"?

Well, it's not retarded altogether. It's fine if you're playing in the Carrier Dome or for Jon Chaney.

But at 12 years old, it just promotes laziness and even in high school is rarely run properly (though I've never seen an Indy high school game to be fair). The fundamentals of man-to-man are just so much more useful to kids trying to learn to play proper basketball and I just think it is dumb for coaches to put winning above teaching.

Sure, maybe there aren't a lot of kids that age you'll be playing against who are "zone busters," so just packing into a 2-3 could be effective. So maybe you'll win some games. But it's likely the kids aren't really learning how to play real basketball. They're not actively learning "see ball man," hedging, rotate and recover, and all that stuff. And they're certainly not learning how to rebound.

I just think that, by and large, it's cheap and gimmicky for the most part. And it lets your lazy, offensively minded players rest and not be held accountable. Mentally, I don't like that. I think players should have the feeling that they have to stop someone.

thunderbird1245
01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, it's not retarded altogether. It's fine if you're playing in the Carrier Dome or for Jon Chaney.

But at 12 years old, it just promotes laziness and even in high school is rarely run properly (though I've never seen an Indy high school game to be fair). The fundamentals of man-to-man are just so much more useful to kids trying to learn to play proper basketball and I just think it is dumb for coaches to put winning above teaching.

Sure, maybe there aren't a lot of kids that age you'll be playing against who are "zone busters," so just packing into a 2-3 could be effective. So maybe you'll win some games. But it's likely the kids aren't really learning how to play real basketball. They're not actively learning "see ball man," hedging, rotate and recover, and all that stuff. And they're certainly not learning how to rebound.

I just think that, by and large, it's cheap and gimmicky for the most part. And it lets your lazy, offensively minded players rest and not be held accountable. Mentally, I don't like that. I think players should have the feeling that they have to stop someone.

This is completely accurate in my view. The programs I've been involved in have never played zones, or even allowed our youth coaches to try them, until the JV level at the earliest, and definitely not at the 11-12 age level, for all the reasons JayRedd says.

That isn't to say that you can't teach help defense, or you can't smartly lay off a particular player if you have a reason to do so, or full court trap at times, or whatever. But fundamental man to man defense should be played at this level, in my view.

OnlyPacersLeft
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
11/12 yr olds? ok do this...get the ball to the best player...and let him go to work. If he gets doubled or tripled let him kick it to a wide open player. Then hope those kids can hit shots aswell!

Doug
01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
11/12 yr olds? ok do this...get the ball to the best player...and let him go to work. If he gets doubled or tripled let him kick it to a wide open player. Then hope those kids can hit shots aswell!

Rick Carlisle? Is that you?

Bball
01-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Rick Carlisle? Is that you?

No, It's JO...

-Bball

Fool
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
JO doesn't pass.

esabyrn333
01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Just got done with our first practice inside a gym with all of the other teams in my league there. After seeing the other teams practice I think this wrestler from Indy is doing a damn good job. My guys are light years ahead of the other teams. I am practicing 4 to 5 times a week for an hour a time. In that time we do fundamental drills run at least 20 sprints and learning to embrace the team. One man fails we all fail one man quits we all run. It is amazing how they are coming together and bonding. I really think kids these days love hard nose discipline. I am drilling it into there heads that they are not boys anymore but young men that are now a family and must give every once of energy to the team and they are loving it. Win or lose or draw we will be the most disciplined in shape team in the league. The other guys are trying to play unorganized street ball. I don't know what these guys think. But for some reason they think its just basketball its not serous. I got to give these kids my heart and soul and I plan on showing these other guys what Indiana basketball is all about. In 49 states it may be just a game but in Indiana its a way of life. I saw 4 teams practice and didn't see a kid run a single sprint. This is crazy.