PDA

View Full Version : Attorneys

ABADays
01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Do we have any attorneys in our midst?

LoneGranger33
01-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Uh oh, what did you get yourself into this time?

Bball
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
You should know better than hang out with Tinsley!

-Bball

Trader Joe
01-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Deny til you die...

Bball
01-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Advice for your jury:
If the gloves don't fit... You must acquit.

kester99
01-04-2008, 02:48 AM
But seriously, if 3rd COSCOM's still there, they have an LAO / client services office there somewhere....that's L for Legal, not Logistics...there's an LAO for that too.

avoidingtheclowns
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
btown is drowning in briefs, if that helps...

Raoul Duke
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I dabble in it when I'm not practicing medicine

JayRedd
01-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Advice for your jury:
If the gloves don't fit... You must acquit.

You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see the doctor. If your gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on.

ABADays
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
I guess I should provide a little info here. In June, I planned an R&R to India (to see the Taj Mahal) followed by a week in th Maldives Islands in December. There was a tour operator specializing in Maldives so I booked my whole package with them. They required my bank to wire their account $3,900.00 for the package (I know, I know). About a week before I was to leave, the sales manager of the hotel in Maldives sent an email requesting payment for the sea plane from the airport to the resort. Naturally, this caught me by surprise. I asked her about the reservations and she told me they had not been paid for either. Neither had the accommodations in India or the train tickets. So basically, the tour company had kept the money and paid for nothing. I had to pay for everything again upon arrival. This despite having a receipt ffrom the company listing the hotels and confirmations.

The tour company is called theonlineholidays aka allinoneasia and are located in the Philippines. During my vacation I found two travel forums and found many others who have experienced the same situation. A few finally received refunds and months of repeated attempts - most did not.
I have made several attempts to contact them via email and phone. They do not respond to the emails and nobody ever answers the phone.

I am always very thorough in my research and found nothing to indicate this company being a problem. It's the first time anything like this has happened to me. I just want to try to get the money back and am looking for some advice on how I might do that.

ABADays
01-04-2008, 11:51 AM
But seriously, if 3rd COSCOM's still there, they have an LAO / client services office there somewhere....that's L for Legal, not Logistics...there's an LAO for that too.

Is that part of the JAG office? I didn't know they would intervene for a civilian.

Eindar
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
btown is drowning in briefs, if that helps...

I laughed, a lot.

Raoul Duke
01-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Mods,

Let's get this moved off the Pacers forum.
Thanks

Slick Pinkham
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
There is a consumer affairs department at the American Society of travel agents web site, and they advise people who think they have been scammed to contact them by e-mail at consumeraffairs@astahq.com

http://www.travelsense.org/consumer/scams.asp

I'm not sure if they can help you since it was a non-USA scam, but maybe they can tell you where to go.

Alternatively, if you are still officially an Indiana resident, you might find help through the consumer services division of the Indiana Attorney General's Office.

http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/consumer/

Again, their ability to help may not extend beyond the US borders.

I would think that there would be a military agency better equipped for helping you deal with this.

Good luck and sorry to hear about you getting scammed. That sucks.

ABADays
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Mods,

Thanks

I apologize for putting here but thought this would give me the most accessibility.

Hicks
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Mods,

Thanks

Normally I would. ABADays is a friend, a long-time member, and has voluntarily gone to work in Iraq for nearly 2 1/2 years. I will give him his best chance of getting help by leaving this on the board with the highest traffic.

btowncolt
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Pacertom provided some potentially valuable links.

The location of the company outside the US is only of difficulty logistically. If they do business in the US, they can be sued in the US.

I would contact the people pacertom linked. I would also consider contacting an attorney to have them draft a certified letter to send to this travel company threatening legal action.

Seeing if there are any military resources that can help in this situation may also be a good idea. Given your location and occupation, there are likely a variety of people you're around that could help. Having a military attorney send a letter may seem a little more serious to the company involved.

Most importantly: Get to contacting help (most likely a real attorney) as soon as you can.

kester99
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Is that part of the JAG office? I didn't know they would intervene for a civilian.

It is, and they won't....unless you're a retiree. Thought you were in the service. Sorry about that.

In the situation you describe, they'd be next to useless anyway.

ABADays
01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Normally I would. ABADays is a friend, a long-time member, and has voluntarily gone to work in Iraq for nearly 2 1/2 years. I will give him his best chance of getting help by leaving this on the board with the highest traffic.

Thanks Mal - and it does seem to be helping with it here.

Los Angeles
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
You can actually hire a firm in the Philippines and sue them there. But that could be even MORE money down the tubes to pay for the lawyers.

Sorry you may have lost your money... Good luck and god speed.

ABADays
01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Mal - you can go ahead and move this now. I've gotten some good advice and PMs. Thanks for the time.

heywoode
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
There is a consumer affairs department at the American Society of travel agents web site, and they advise people who think they have been scammed to contact them by e-mail at consumeraffairs@astahq.com

http://www.travelsense.org/consumer/scams.asp

I'm not sure if they can help you since it was a non-USA scam, but maybe they can tell you where to go.

I loved the wording of this!

Alternatively, if you are still officially an Indiana resident, you might find help through the consumer services division of the Indiana Attorney General's Office.

http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/consumer/

Again, their ability to help may not extend beyond the US borders.

I would think that there would be a military agency better equipped for helping you deal with this.

Yeah, a military agency that is equipped with planes, bombs, personnel, and guns!!

Good luck and sorry to hear about you getting scammed. That sucks.

I echo this statement. That sucks. Sounds like an excellent vacation, and I hope you get through to an entity that can help you, and the many others who you say haven't gotten their money back either...Maybe something class action would carry more weight? ...or maybe hitting a small (I'm assuming) company with a ton of claims would only bankrupt them and get nobody paid....

Good luck! (Sure would like to see some photos of that vacation!!!)

Stryder
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I really don't know anything about this type of law, but I would like to offer my word of thanks for going over to Iraq. Also, good luck with this situation. Keep your head up. Good will prevail over evil.

Shade
01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I guess I should provide a little info here. In June, I planned an R&R to India (to see the Taj Mahal) followed by a week in th Maldives Islands in December. There was a tour operator specializing in Maldives so I booked my whole package with them. They required my bank to wire their account $3,900.00 for the package (I know, I know). About a week before I was to leave, the sales manager of the hotel in Maldives sent an email requesting payment for the sea plane from the airport to the resort. Naturally, this caught me by surprise. I asked her about the reservations and she told me they had not been paid for either. Neither had the accommodations in India or the train tickets. So basically, the tour company had kept the money and paid for nothing. I had to pay for everything again upon arrival. This despite having a receipt ffrom the company listing the hotels and confirmations.

The tour company is called theonlineholidays aka allinoneasia and are located in the Philippines. During my vacation I found two travel forums and found many others who have experienced the same situation. A few finally received refunds and months of repeated attempts - most did not.
I have made several attempts to contact them via email and phone. They do not respond to the emails and nobody ever answers the phone.

I am always very thorough in my research and found nothing to indicate this company being a problem. It's the first time anything like this has happened to me. I just want to try to get the money back and am looking for some advice on how I might do that.

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes you're just gonna get screwed no matter how much research you do (damn you, Toshiba! :mad:).

Overseas scamming seems to be running rampant anymore these days.