PDA

View Full Version : What was JO thinkin??

granger33
12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
O'Neal hit two jumpers as the Pacers built a 66-56 lead. During a break before a free throw, O'Neal went over to the fans and reached out to shake their hands.

"I appreciate you guys coming to the game," O'Neal said, before breaking into laughter.

Im a pacer fan and all, but serves JO right for saying this..what a loser.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_y...gid=2007123130

yes it was against charlotte.

they were only up 10 at the time

Cobol Sam
12-31-2007, 07:16 PM
huh?

carpediem024
12-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Was this in Charlotte?

Lord Helmet
12-31-2007, 07:22 PM
If I don't see a link edited into the post soon, then I'd just declare this spam.

I really don't see a big deal, Reggie probably did plenty of this back in his early days.

It's not like JO went Ron-Ron........

granger33
12-31-2007, 07:27 PM
sorry

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=ArjdmjBTRandMdvfdhoh5VK8vLYF?gid=200712 3130

ThA HoyA
12-31-2007, 07:44 PM
So JO was being taunted and he started playing good and he did that people are really reaching here if anything thats funny

granger33
12-31-2007, 08:10 PM
no im not reaching. his actually my favourite player. But If his taunting the crowd when ur up only 10 in the 3rd...he probably thought he had the game finished.

Lord Helmet
12-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Was this in Charlotte?
Yes, I think so.

Hicks
12-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Who says he was taunting? I think he was joking with them, but that's not like he was telling them off or something.

granger33
12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Yeh true, he could of just been jokin to make it entertaining.

but hey, i dont like it much when ur in a middle of an NBA game.

Lord Helmet
12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Who says he was taunting? I think he was joking with them, but that's not like he was telling them off or something.
I think once again Pacers fans are making a big deal out of something that shouldn't be after a disappointing loss.

Anthem
12-31-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't get it. I thought it was a classy way to handle taunting fans.

Was it Bennet Salvatore that calmed down a guy heckling him by taking money out of his wallet during a dead ball to buy the guy a drink? I forget who it was, but it was hilarious.

Regardless, I'm not sure what there is to get upset about here (other than the loss, obviously).

Erik
12-31-2007, 09:41 PM
So he was thanking them for giving him motivation at that point in a smarta$$ way, all in good fun, it gives those guys something to remember. Good stuff.

BlueNGold
01-01-2008, 12:40 AM
He should have been thinking about his lame FG%....which was of course the lowest of all 6 players in double figures.

It would be best if he shot half as much and dunked twice as much. Maybe then he would have a respectable FG% for such a highly paid superstar.

Much more focus on rebounding would be the place to start.

JayRedd
01-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The Jermaine hate around here is getting comical.

speakout4
01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
The Jermaine hate around here is getting comical.

Yes something to break the tension in a hostile environment-big sin. If some posters paid as much attention to what their wives said and did as they do to JO, JT etc. their wives wouldn't complain as much:p.

CableKC
01-01-2008, 03:59 PM
He should have been thinking about his lame FG%....which was of course the lowest of all 6 players in double figures.

It would be best if he shot half as much and dunked twice as much. Maybe then he would have a respectable FG% for such a highly paid superstar.

Much more focus on rebounding would be the place to start.
No kidding....when I looked at the title of this thread, "What was JO thinkin??", I thought it was about questioing why he would take that low-percentage jumpshot of his from the top of the key with 5.5 seconds left when we needed a basket to win the game instead of passing the ball to someone that would actually had a better chance of getting it into the basket.

I'm sorry...but I agree with you....I don't care if he's the franchise player....if we need a basket to win the game....I really prefer that he doesn't take the shot unless he has a wide-open look to the basket and is 5 feet from the basket.

BlueNGold
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
No kidding....when I looked at the title of this thread, "What was JO thinkin??", I thought it was about questioing why he would take that low-percentage jumpshot of his from the top of the key with 5.5 seconds left when we needed a basket to win the game instead of passing the ball to someone that would actually had a better chance of getting it into the basket.

I'm sorry...but I agree with you....I don't care if he's the franchise player....if we need a basket to win the game....I really prefer that he doesn't take the shot unless he has a wide-open look to the basket and is 5 feet from the basket.

Yep. JO's FG% this year is just under 45%...actually 44.9% Career is 46%.

Nearly all notable big men are more efficient. This is one reason he is overrated and overpaid:

Bynum: 62%
Howard: 61%
Shaq: 59%
Stoudemire: 58%
Boozer: 56%
Garnett: 55%
Duncan: 53%
Curry: 53%
Okafor: 51%
Jefferson: 49%
Gasol: 49%
Ming: 49%
Kaman: 48%
Nowitski: 47% (and his game is perimeter)
Bosh: 44% (correction: his career is 48.1% though)

Oneal07
01-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes something to break the tension in a hostile environment-big sin. If some posters paid as much attention to what their wives said and did as they do to JO, JT etc. their wives wouldn't complain as much:p.

:laugh:

CableKC
01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Nearly all notable big men are more efficient. This is one reason he is overrated and overpaid:

I mentioned in the in-game thread....if we have to get a basket to tie or win the game.......given the options that we had on the floor...I would much rather have had Marquis take the shot then JONeal. There is always a good chance JONeal would not have driven to the hoop or take his patented "fadeaway and clank" shot. At least with Marquis....there is a good chance that he would have somehow made it near the basket to take a shot that would have made it in.

OnlyPacersLeft
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
what was the attendance? he probably was joking...lol

mb221
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM

And honestly, at least half of those people have games that are nowhere near similar to JO's. Why would you compare Bynum's FG % to Jermaine's?

Gyron
01-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I was there and I saw it. It was about 15 yards from me.

The fans were heckling him and he was just having a little fun with them. He was actually laughing as were they after the incident.

He was actually playing pretty good at that point. The entire team went ice cold during the 4th quarter. For those blaming Jermaine, the ENTIRE team went cold. not just him. The pacers were in control of the game all the way up until that point(4th qtr) wether the points showed it. That and Wallace decided to show up and couldn't miss a shot no matter what kinda crap he threw at the rim.

BlueNGold
01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
And honestly, at least half of those people have games that are nowhere near similar to JO's. Why would you compare Bynum's FG % to Jermaine's?

FG% is not the be-all end-all, but it does matter.

Considering JO is a PF/C, generally that list represents his peers. Sure, some of their games are different, but I'm not sure how much that matters at the end of the day. Even so, we could strike a few from the list and the story remains the same.

Ok, I yanked the giant centers and Dirk off the list. Still the median is around 52%.

Bosh: 44%

You might say Howard, Kaman and Gasol don't belong either. Then, the median goes UP to 53%.

mb221
01-02-2008, 03:11 PM
FG% is not the be-all end-all, but it does matter.

Considering JO is a PF/C, generally that list represents his peers. Sure, some of their games are different, but I'm not sure how much that matters at the end of the day. Even so, we could strike a few from the list and the story remains the same.

Ok, I yanked the giant centers and Dirk off the list. Still the median is around 52%.

You might say Howard, Kaman and Gasol don't belong either. Then, the median goes UP to 53%.

And that is fine. I agree that Jermaine's FG% is definitely sub-standard. I was just saying there is no reason to compare apples to oranges. The thing is, you and I and everyone else that has watched a Pacers game knows that it isn't going to change. JO's game is JO's game, he isn't all of the sudden going to say, "You know what... I'm shooting 45% from the field... I think I'll stop taking turn around fadeaway jump shots!" Learn to live with it.

Bball
01-02-2008, 03:33 PM
And that is fine. I agree that Jermaine's FG% is definitely sub-standard. I was just saying there is no reason to compare apples to oranges. The thing is, you and I and everyone else that has watched a Pacers game knows that it isn't going to change. JO's game is JO's game, he isn't all of the sudden going to say, "You know what... I'm shooting 45% from the field... I think I'll stop taking turn around fadeaway jump shots!" Learn to live with it.

I could live with JO shooting woeful percentages from the field as a 'go to' PF and relying on a pet fadeaway that clanks more times than not... if he was on the opposing team.

But it's hard to get disappointed when you realize it is what it is....

-Bball

mb221
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, Jermaine has been going to the rack tonight and is so far 2 for 7.

BlueNGold
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Very true, but much of this backs my position that he be traded...and learning to live with that inconsistent fadeaway that fades into nothing under pressure...is just not acceptable.

BTW, a few things appear obvious to me. First, I don't think he resigns here with Bird at the helm. I would give it about a 10% chance. Second, this team is going nowhere during the next couple years due to being locked up in contracts with average players. Third, JO's value is not getting any higher from here on. He is healthy for once right now and a tradeable commodity. The earlier we find a decent deal (young talent and/or picks), the better.

BlueNGold
01-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Ah, another post up, another miss by our superstar.

2-11 from the floor

0-2 from the line

Losing by 9 to the T-Wolves.

Another stellar night of efficiency...

While that allegedly *soft* Gasol has 26pts on something like 65% from the floor....

mb221
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Ah, another post up, another miss by our superstar.

2-11 from the floor

0-2 from the line

Losing by 9 to the T-Wolves.

Another stellar night of efficiency...

While that allegedly *soft* Gasol has 26pts on something like 65% from the floor....

Hopefully you are paying attention to where he is taking his shots from. 7 of his misses were from within 15 feet, at least 4 or 5 actually at the rim. Obviously that only makes it worse, but he was no better at the rim than on a jump shot tonight.

BlueNGold
01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Hopefully you are paying attention to where he is taking his shots from. 7 of his misses were from within 15 feet, at least 4 or 5 actually at the rim. Obviously that only makes it worse, but he was no better at the rim than on a jump shot tonight.

That probably explains why he opts for the weak fadeaway game. The only thing worse than his fadeaway is his soft interior game. I guess I should have known he had no chance for an efficient offensive game.

Naptown_Seth
01-02-2008, 11:27 PM
But unlike every other player on the roster JO is a consistent impact player at least on one end. Who else is either a big-time offensive or defensive player nearly every game???

That's the problem. JO's offense is rough, but he's playing great help defense, and frankly rebounding pretty well (at least lately).

Foster maybe is close. Tins, Dun...they've had tons of bad offensive nights, and don't ask about defense. It's true right down the line, there are no players beyond JO that you at least know on one end that you are going to see it.

I'm not even saying that you keep him. At his cost it's not enough, but then not many guys are earning their salary on this roster so far. However you need space to start over. Even if he's not the main problem, he's the main step toward prying out all the rest of the problems.

27-55 3 years straight FTW. Ugh.