PDA

View Full Version : Typical "BS" reporting by ESPN

Alabama-Redneck
12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
In the middle of one of the best seasons in his NBA career, Indiana guard Jamaal Tinsley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3528) will miss at least a week of action due to a left hamstring injury, according to a published report.

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3528.jpg Tinsley

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) -->
"Unfortunately, I have allowed him to play at less than his best over the last five games," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien told the Indianapolis Star. "To his credit, he wants to play, will play injured, but it's really hampering his ability to play at his best. ... If it takes seven-to-10 days to get that right, that's what we'll do."
Tinsley initially suffered the injury against the Miami Heat (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mia) on Dec. 15. He missed a Dec. 19 game against Philadelphia but has played the last four contests.
Earlier this season Tinsley was involved in an early-morning shooting at a hotel in downtown Indianapolis that left Pacers equipment manager Joey Qatato with gunshot wounds to both elbows.
For the season, Tinsley is averaging 13.8 points and 8.7 assists, a career high.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This is what makes me so mad about ESPN and most other crappy reporting of Pacer info. There was absolutely no reason to mention the shooting in an article about JT's injury.

I am surprised the did not mention the brawl and the other night club incidents. Am I the only one that gets upset over this s--t or do the rest of you feel the same?

What is the purpose? :confused:

:mad:

Trader Joe
12-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Its pointless, but its something I've learned to deal with ever since the brawl.

Also if this injury doesn't encourage TPTB to make a trade then I don't know what will. We aren't going to be very competitive with Quis and Owens manning the point.

Kraft
12-30-2007, 03:28 PM
It's a spliced-in AP report. The Associated Press will give you all the information possible. It's up to the news outlet to decide what goes in, what doesn't.

So why did the copy editor over at ESPN decide to include this? That's simple -- Jamaal Tinsley is known for two things: his injuries and his off-the-court antics.

People outside Indianapolis and Pacers fandom don't know about his good games, nor do they care. Sad, but true.

Roaming Gnome
12-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm not suprised by the mention of the shooting and I actually understand why it was included. I feel that it was included to identify Tinsley since he was recently in the news. I believe the same addition would have been in there if Jamaal won the Nobel Peace Prize just a few months earlier instead of being involved in a shooting.

Eindar
12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
What I dont like about it is that it's so vague as to what happened. The way it reads, Tinsley could have shot his own equipment manager. It should read so that Tinsley is clearly a victim, or it should never see print.

aero
12-31-2007, 03:24 AM
we must draft a PG this year...we MUST.

BillS
12-31-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm not suprised by the mention of the shooting and I actually understand why it was included. I feel that it was included to identify Tinsley since he was recently in the news. I believe the same addition would have been in there if Jamaal won the Nobel Peace Prize just a few months earlier instead of being involved in a shooting.

Naah. If Tins won the Nobel Prize it would read "Jamaal Tinsley was in Europe when a fight occurred in Stockholm".

NuffSaid
12-31-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree that ESPN could have left that part out and stuck with a more feel good article that highlighted Tinsley's on-court performances, but I also agree with Kraft that injuries and incidents are what Tinsley is best known for. It's kinda like writing an article about Ron Artest. No matter what he does you're going to find some mention of the Brawl somewhere. Unless Jamaal goes injury and incident free for a season or two he will be forever linked to injuries and incidents and his overall performance no matter how good will be cast in shadow. That's unfortunate. :(

Naptown_Seth
12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I agree. I'm annoyed at his reduction to that simple view, but honestly there's a lot of....challenged...people out there who can only handle their news and views in the most simplistic terms. Major stories and people become one aspect only and from then on that's the reference point that people use when trying to remind them who they are talking about.

Hey, at least Tins has that. If you said "Mike Dunleavy" they've have nothing at all. Maybe "former #3 draft pick" or "part of a big trade between GS and Indy", and a lot of people that at least knew "Tins, dude in shooting" would still say "who?".

SycamoreKen
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know if anyone else saw it, but Skip Bayless brought the Pacers up as an example of the league's bad image for going around shooting guns off when discussing Odum's cheap shot against Allen. He was saying that Stern needed to suspend Odum to protect the league's image because of the things the Pacers were doing. He didn't mention specific players, one of which is no longer on the team, but just generalized. He is an idiot.

BlueNGold
12-31-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't know if anyone else saw it, but Skip Bayless brought the Pacers up as an example of the league's bad image for going around shooting guns off when discussing Odum's cheap shot against Allen. He was saying that Stern needed to suspend Odum to protect the league's image because of the things the Pacers were doing. He didn't mention specific players, one of which is no longer on the team, but just generalized. He is an idiot.

It's common knowledge that analysts, announcers, writers, etc. always do this stuff. Whether they're idiots for doing it or not, the Pacers have undeniably built a solid reputation across the nation.

It will take a complete purge to change this. All you need to do is look at the Blazers and their history.

Oneal07
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
You all still read ESPN?

jeffg-body
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
It did annoy me a bit to have him use the Pacers only as his leverage. I wonder if Danny, Dun Dun, and the other guys who were dishing food out thanksgiving day felt about the generalization.

BoomBaby31
01-02-2008, 12:52 AM
At least they said his name right. When the shooting was first reported, they kept calling him Jerome Tinsley. lol ESPN is just like every other media outlet. I wish they wouldn't have to dramatise everything and just stick to the sports.