PDA

View Full Version : Pacers O'Neal doubtful for tonight's game

aero
12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O’Neal is doubtful for tonight’s game against the Detroit Pistons because of a sore left knee.

O’Neal, who didn’t take part in the team’s shootaround at the Palace of Auburn Hills today, has dealt with knee problems on and off since the start of training camp. He’s missed six games this season with knee and calf problems.

O’Neal appeared to be grimacing at times as he ran up the court during Wednesday’s game at Atlanta. He’s fourth on the team in scoring at 15.9 points and leads them in rebounding at 7.4.

[The Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071228/SPORTS04/71228028)]

Speed
12-28-2007, 03:06 PM
If they shut him down and they go on a win streak, will all the media tell me how stupid I am for thinking there is a connection.

Kstat
12-28-2007, 03:07 PM
well, that's going to kill Sheed's motivation....

Wait, is Murphy still playing? Sheed hates him as much as he loves JO.

bnd45
12-28-2007, 03:15 PM
O’Neal appeared to be grimacing at times as he ran up the court during Wednesday’s game at Atlanta. He’s fourth on the team in scoring at 15.9 points and leads them in rebounding at 7.4.

[The Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071228/SPORTS04/71228028)]

For the record, Jeff Foster leads us in rebounding.

CableKC
12-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Great....now our frontline is going to consist of Ike, Murphy and ( I'm guessing ) Foster. The only upside is that we maybe able to see Shawne play some minutes.

Seriously, when are we ever going to be healthy?

I don't mind waiting to see how well this team does when we have all of our key players playing at 100%.....but I don't think that we will ever see this team healthy this season.

Unclebuck
12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
well, that's going to kill Sheed's motivation....

Wait, is Murphy still playing? Sheed hates him as much as he loves JO.

Why, he should love Murphy - he tears him up every time. I still have nightmares about that - as Jeff is sits on the bench and Murphy gets torched again and again.

Kstat
12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Great....now our frontline is going to consist of Ike, Murphy and ( I'm guessing ) Foster. The only upside is that we maybe able to see Shawne play some minutes.

Seriously, when are we ever going to be healthy?

I don't mind waiting to see how well this team does when we have all of our key players playing at 100%.....but I don't think that we will ever see this team healthy this season.

The Pistons still haven't been %100 in a game this season. Rodney Stuckey looks about set to finally make his debut in the rotation, and Jarvis Hayes goes down with food poisoning.

Trader Joe
12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
The Pistons still haven't been %100 in a game this season. Rodney Stuckey looks about set to finally make his debut in the rotation, and Jarvis Hayes goes down with food poisoning.

Great we'll probably get to be the guinea pigs that Rodney Stuckey embarasses. I still can't believe you guys got him. :suicide:

Kstat
12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Great we'll probably get to be the guinea pigs that Rodney Stuckey embarasses. I still can't believe you guys got him. :suicide:

He did a nice little number on Kidd Wednesday, but that was in garbage time. Hopefully he'll finally see some meaningful action tonight, especially with Hayes out.

I don't expect anything special from him for about a month. He's still learning how to run a Piston offense on the fly, which is not particularly easy.

Stuckey's actually benefiting from Afflalo's surprise season. We already have one rookie that's doing better than expected, so there's really no pressure on him to play well right away.

Naptown_Seth
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
For the record, Jeff Foster leads us in rebounding.
So now the Star is trying to keep pace with Sportscenter in terms of accurate coverage? 15 dudes, how hard is it to keep up with that data?

Currently Travis Diener leads the team in height too. I assume we're just making it up as we go along, right? ;)

As for JO, this team is all about 2nd games of back to backs, so it's all part of the plan. :wringhands:

Lord Helmet
12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
:thepacers 23
:thepiston 194

Elgin56
12-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Talk about Murphy's huge contract and not earning it.

Kofi
12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
this is good news for Ike fans, not only does this mean more minutes for Ike tonight, but no one on the Pistons can come close to guarding him which means he's guaranteed a big game. Sheed tries to the best of his abilities but Ike is just too strong and too aggressive for him.

I bet you've never even seen him play. But I digress.

Kstat
12-28-2007, 06:57 PM
this is good news for Ike fans, not only does this mean more minutes for Ike tonight, but no one on the Pistons can come close to guarding him which means he's guaranteed a big game. Sheed tries to the best of his abilities but Ike is just too strong and too aggressive for him.

...where did you come by this information?

Please, reference anything but his garbage time stats from a game multiple seasons ago, for the sake of my sanity.

Evan_The_Dude
12-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Sheed tries to the best of his abilities but Ike is just too strong and too aggressive for him.

I bet Sheed could bench press an Ike Diogu if he had Troy Murphy to look at for motivation.

andreialta
12-28-2007, 07:29 PM
oh man! im bummed

oh well more points for Mike, Danny, Shawne?? hahA

CableKC
12-28-2007, 07:31 PM

The pistons aren't dependant on players like Stuckey or Hayes. Imagine how the pistons would be if Prince or Wallace would miss 1 out of every 5 games or Billups could only play 20 minutes a game cuz of some nagging injury. That's the Pacers now. I know that injuries affect every team but at some l
point it stops becoming an inconvenience and starts becoming a key weakness on this team.

pacerDU
12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
this is good news for Ike fans, not only does this mean more minutes for Ike tonight, but no one on the Pistons can come close to guarding him which means he's guaranteed a big game.

Jason Maxiel

Trader Joe
12-28-2007, 07:37 PM
I bet you've never even seen him play. But I digress.

I'd bet you're not very good in Vegas.
I've seen Stuckey play multiple times in his college career. And if you care to go back and dig around in threads leading up to the draft I've always been big on Stuckey. He has a lot of tools to become a very good player in this league.

Kstat
12-28-2007, 07:46 PM
The pistons aren't dependant on players like Stuckey or Hayes. Imagine how the pistons would be if Prince or Wallace would miss 1 out of every 5 games or Billups could only play 20 minutes a game cuz of some nagging injury. That's the Pacers now. I know that injuries affect every team but at some l
point it stops becoming an inconvenience and starts becoming a key weakness on this team.

Every starter on the team except prince has missed multiple games this season.

andreialta
12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Stuckey will not be a factor. yet. Afflalo is playing well in place of hiim. but the Pistons really do not depend at all with their young guys.. its the, Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, Antonio,Rasheed,Jason,Jarvis,Lindsey,Flip

thats their main rotation so yah. if we get blown out, then stuckey,afflalo,johnson,maybe even Brezec.

this is gon be 1 tough game either way.

Kstat
12-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Jarvis is sick, so I would expect Afflalo to move to backup SF, and Stuckey to back up the guard spots tonight.

And yes, this team relies heavily on 9-10 guys now. Most Pacer starters play more minutes than the piston starters. The young guys are a big part of the team now.

The starters only really play the first and third quarters. If the 4th is close, they'll come in with 6 minutes left. That's it.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
:lurk:

BlueNGold
12-28-2007, 09:08 PM
What's nice about not playing with JO is that teams have a let down at the same time the effectiveness of the team does not dramatically change.

If the ball movement is strong and we compete in this game, we have got to pull the trigger and move JO and his sore knee.

CableKC
12-29-2007, 04:14 AM
Every starter on the team except prince has missed multiple games this season.
Did they miss as many games or continue to play limited minutes like the Pacers key players have?

Outside of Billups.....it's obvious that the Pistons are built good enough to withstand the periodic injury bug. IMHO...our offense works really well when we are hitting on all cylinders. If any of those cylinder fails ( Foster, Harrison or Marquis is playing limited due to some injury, miss games or JONeal's << fill in any body part >> is sore ) the whole engine fails. If any of the Pistons key players, the whole team doesn't fall apart.

As many have noted....the Pacers are simply built poorly to withstand any short-term injuries.

OnlyPacersLeft
12-29-2007, 09:20 AM
JO was so hurt he dropped 25...LOL maybe our team is trying to throw other teams off now?