PDA

View Full Version : Coverage from the hinterlands

kester99
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
This is a good sign that current Pacers news is filtering out to the general Hoosier public. I know of folks that read this paper religiously, but rarely see an Indianapolis Star.

http://www.journalreview.com/articles/2007/12/26/sports/moore.txt

Pacers’ play has been a surprise
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:58 PM EST
Email this story | Print this story
The Indiana Pacers haven’t shied away from throwing surprises at their fans over the last few years.

There was an explosion of violence in Detroit a few years ago, and several instances since where the surprise has been one that makes fans forget — instead of remember — the great NBA team that used to reside in Indianapolis.

This season, though, along with a few public relations nightmares, the Pacers have provided another kind of surprise — a pleasant one.
The team that’s been marred in mediocrity on the court and run-ins with the police off it is actually putting together a quality season — to this point, anyway.

The Pacers sit at 15-14 after their 107-95 loss against Atlanta last night. Yes, of course, I’m telling you this after a loss, but they’re still sitting in the middle of the pack in the Eastern Conference, and even though it is the Eastern Conference, there have been some real positives lately for a team that’s been scrounging for them for the last few years.

Indiana is now 7-5 in the month of December. With one more win out of the next three games — no small task since two of them are against Detroit — and the Pacers will finish the month above .500.
It would mark the first time the team has run through the month with a winning record since 2003. Coincedentally that was the last season that culminated with a trip to the conference finals, the deepest playoff run the team has had since its one and only trip to the NBA Finals in 2000.

That is certainly not to say this team is even close to being at the level those teams were, but it does paint a picture of how far the Pacers had fallen and offers a glimpse of the progress they’ve made.

Add in the fact that of those December wins, four came against playoff teams from last year, and it becomes clearer this isn’t the same team.
The biggest key so far has been balanced scoring. The Pacers have six players averaging double figures in the scoring department including Ike Diogu, who’s only played in five games due to a torn calf.

With scoring available from multiple positions — instead of just J.O.’s spot in the low block — the Pacers have proven they can score with the best of the NBA.

After averaging less than 100 points per game every season of this millenium, the Pacers are currently putting up 104.5 points per game, good for No. 1 in the Eastern Conference and behind Denver, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State and Memphis in the NBA — alright, that was half the Western Conference’s likely playoff lineup, but still, Indiana is obviously scoring a lot more than fans are used to.
Of course the flip side to that is the Pacers are giving up more points per game (104.1) than any other team in the East and behind just Seattle, Golden State and Memphis in the West.

Still this is a team that, albeit merely a shade over .500, has exceeded expectations. The Pacers certainly appeared to be a lock to trail the Cavaliers and Bulls in the Central, yet they currently stand ahead of both teams. There’s plenty of time for that gap to flip with Cleveland clearly on the rise, and Chicago always starts bad and recovers — although the recent firing of Scott Skiles casts at the very least a question mark at that trend.

If the playoffs started today Indiana would be in. If I’d told you that in October, would you have believed me?
Didn’t think so.

Brandon Moore is the Journal Review’s sports editor. He can be reached at bmoore@jrpress.com.

kester99
12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
And another one....

http://www.shelbynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=40&SubSectionID=292&ArticleID=53066&TM=62937.58

Dr. Goldfoot
12-28-2007, 02:11 AM
There was also a positive little article in this weeks Nuvo. I have no link it's not on their website but it's in this weeks issue.

tdubb03
12-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Journal Review's my local paper. That's their bi-monthly Pacer update.

Peck
12-28-2007, 04:26 AM
Journal Review's my local paper. That's their bi-monthly Pacer update.

Bi-Monthly??? I was going to say annual Pacers update.

tdubb03
12-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Bi-Monthly??? I was going to say annual Pacers update.

That probably is more accurate. Now we have TWO daily published newspapers, in a town of 15k. Still nothing but local 3A high schools and Ironman coverage.

DisplacedKnick
12-28-2007, 08:43 AM
You're talking Crawfordsville, right? That's a 30 minute drive from Indy and gets all the Indianapolis radio & TV stations.

Hardly what I'd call the hinterlands.

Now if it was a newspaper in Angola or Madison I might reconsider.

Peck
12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
That probably is more accurate. Now we have TWO daily published newspapers, in a town of 15k. Still nothing but local 3A high schools and Ironman coverage.

You gotta love when a paper is called The paper.:laugh:

Took them days to come up with that one I'm sure.

Isaac
12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
If the playoffs started today Indiana would be in. If I’d told you that in October, would you have believed me?
Didn’t think so.

Yes.