PDA

View Full Version : I don't know where to put this

ChicagoJ
06-01-2004, 10:55 AM
So I'm starting a thread.

The last thing Dad said to me before I drove back to Chicago yesterday was:

"Now that our young guys have some playoff/ ECF experience, one thing they're learning is that things have to go perfectly to win the Conference and have a chance to play in The Finals.

This season, it seems we've got injuries that popped up at just the wrong time. This is a good learning experience overall, and even if they fail to win now they shouldn't lose confidence in themselves."

Your thoughts?

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Well, even though the series isn't over yet, and we may still reach the Finals, I agree that this is a good learning experience for all our players.

Although, I thought having the X-Factor, Anthony Johnson, who has been to 3 straight ECF, would put us over the edge. :P

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, even though the series isn't over yet, and we may still reach the Finals, I agree that this is a good learning experience for all our players.

Although, I thought having the X-Factor, Anthony Johnson, who has been to 3 straight ECF, would put us over the edge. :P

He'll still be here next year ;)

Dukins
06-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Great learning experience, but i thought that we had a good learning experience last year against Boston. Hopefully this series will teach us not to give up no matter the circumstances. We have proven we can win in both places.

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 11:29 AM
It's tough with all these injuries. This team has proven, especially Jamaal, that they can play hard. I have so much respect for Jamaal.

ChicagoJ
06-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry, my first post sounded more "defeated" than I intended. So don't over-react.

I believe we're going to put up a hell of a fight tonight.

The bigger point I was trying to make was that things have to go perfectly to win the Conference. Right now, things are going perfectly for Detroit, but not-so-well for us.

If "luck" happens when preparation meets opportunity, well as of this morning, this just may not be "the opportunity" we were all hoping for.

ROCislandWarrior
06-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I agree that the this team has grown and the players will have more confidence.

Except for Al :unimpressed:

Al needs to go into the front office and demand a trade. Or maybe the front office will simply come to him and say he is gone.

ofcourse, if Al scores 20 and grabs 10 tonight I reserve the right to change my mind....but it won't happen....this is playoff Al we are talking about. :unimpressed:

leon
06-01-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't think the lesson learned is that things have to "go perfectly" to reach the finals. Things rarely go perfectly anyway, you have to fight through when they don't.

I think the lesson learned has to do with the intensity that you have to bring to a big playoff game. The Pistons were ready from an intensity standpoint in game 5 and the Pacers weren't. Each round of the playoffs, each game in each series, requires an extra level of intensity beyond anything seen earlier. That is the lesson the Pacers have to learn, IMO.

DisplacedKnick
06-01-2004, 12:57 PM
In some ways, if the Pacers lose this series, it's a positive overall.

The EC is finally getting closer to even footing with the West. That means that teams are having to pay their dues before getting to the big show. Two years ago NJ made the finals in their first year in the playoffs in a long time. That was a symptom of a pathetically weak conference. This year (if they make it) Detroit will have been to the conf finals before breaking through. Next year the Pacers will be right there again. It's the natural order of things in the NBA.

Top to bottom the EC is still weak. But the top four teams are very solid.

Beyond that, even losing in the ECF is a great step for the Pacers after three straight 1st rd exits.

waterjater
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
The depressing thing is that with a healthy O'neal and Tinsley, especially the way O'neal came out strong in Game 4 prior to the injury, WE'D BEAT THESE PISTONS WITHOUT QUESTION.

I think the PISTONS GOT LUCKY when JO damn near broke his leg/knee. I still don't know HOW he finished game four or even played in game 5.

We look defeated because two key pieces two are team are playing on one leg.

The PISTONS WOULD NOT have beaten New Jersey with a healthy Jason Kidd. NO WAY!

Water

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 01:35 PM

The Bulls would never have won 6 NBA Finals by now if it weren't for Jordan.
Bob Knight never would have been fired if he kept his mouth shut.

And on and on and on...

We can talk about what "could've" happened all we want; it's too late.

:death:

waterjater
06-01-2004, 01:38 PM

The Bulls would never have won 6 NBA Finals by now if it weren't for Jordan.
Bob Knight never would have been fired if he kept his mouth shut.

And on and on and on...

We can talk about what "could've" happened all we want; it's too late.

:death:

True, i don't disagree. Just wishing JO was healthy!

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 01:40 PM

I thought we had a really good record this season without Jermaine.
If someone knows that record, I'd appreciate the information. I thought we had a decent record when one of the "big 3" was out.

ChicagoJ
06-01-2004, 02:10 PM

I thought we had a really good record this season without Jermaine.
If someone knows that record, I'd appreciate the information. I thought we had a decent record when one of the "big 3" was out.

Its Tinsley's injury that is a much bigger deal.

(1) he's hurt worse

(2) we don't have a capable backup. Al, Ron, Jeff and Austin can all contribute to fill in for JO.

fwpacerfan
06-01-2004, 02:58 PM

I think the PISTONS GOT LUCKY when JO damn near broke his leg/knee. I still don't know HOW he finished game four or even played in game 5.

Water

Is it luck when the opponent deliberately undercuts your best player, causing him to be injured?