PDA

View Full Version : So..what does JO mean by this?

indygeezer
12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
His post-game quote is rather cryptic

ATLANTA -- The Indiana Pacers remained in striking distance of the Atlanta Hawks for most of the game.

(yada yada)
Instead, the Pacers were left frustrated. Jermaine O'Neal sat in his uniform in the locker room long after the game ended and declined comment, saying only: "I'm taking a break. I've given all I can give."

Odd wording....odd thoughts....or does he simply mean that he's taking a break from talking to reporters????

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/SPORTS04/712270481/1088/SPORTS04

Hicks
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Since he declined comment, I'm guessing it's in relation to talking to the media.

Unclebuck
12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
That is rather strange and when I read the article the first time I didn't think anything of it.

I cannot imagine he means he's doen talking to the media (afterall there was probably only one media person there from Indianapolis, Mike Wells.

I could let my imagination run wild and come up with several different scenerios about what he meant, but for now, I'll just say I have no idea.

Dr. Goldfoot
12-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm frustrated.

Major Cold
12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Just when it gets tough...

Suck it up and use this sad loss as fuel for the next game. Get pissed.

andreialta
12-27-2007, 04:33 PM
i see him frustrated but i also see him and mike really workin well together. there was one part of the game where mike threw a bad a pass to him that was deflected out of bounds, and i saw JO recognize it and high fives dunleavy, kinda saying, Good thinking. so i dont think he is realyl frustrated with the team. i just think he is frustrated with this game. and he lost for sure. not our team!

Young
12-27-2007, 04:37 PM
I really don't get this quote at all. Taking a break from what? It's like half of the quote is missing.

Trader Joe
12-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Thats a really freaking weird quote IMO.

kester99
12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
It was in the locker room after a loss. And the team was as aware as we were that this stretch against ATL/Det/Det was/is a heat check.

He was bummed. He feels he's the focus of reponsibility for the team's performance.

He'll buck up.

Unclebuck
12-27-2007, 04:53 PM
See I think that is poor reporting by Mike Wells. Not that I expect him to be able to read JO's mind, but Mike was right there and he needs to explain the quote a little

kester99
12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
See I think that is poor reporting by Mike Wells. Not that I expect him to be able to read JO's mind, but Mike was right there and he needs to explain the quote a little

Not explaining=stirring the pot=controversy.

Controversy=increased readership/viewership.

Don't know about Mike Wells so much, but that's certainly in keeping with the ESPN sports "reporting" philosophy. It lets those frustrated ex-HS team managers get into the game, not in a good way.

(Nothing against ex-HS team managers.)

Lord Helmet
12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I think it means he's pissed that the Pacers let one get away they should have won, especially with DEEETROIT BASKETTBALL coming up, back to back.....

Oneal07
12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Maybe he's tired of the media asking the same questions

aero
12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Looks like nothing more then a quote taken out of context. Im sure he was referring to the media.

indygeezer
12-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Don't know about Mike Wells so much, but that's certainly in keeping with the ESPN sports "reporting" philosophy. It lets those frustrated ex-HS team managers get into the game, not in a good way.

(Nothing against ex-HS team mangers.)

watch it bub..some of us became serial (thread) killers and college trainers.

Will Galen
12-27-2007, 06:14 PM

(Nothing against ex-HS team mangers.)

I agree. It's my view that Wells is part of the Pacers attendance problem. He doesn't write articles that incite or entice fans to go to games. His style is like Kester says above, 'stirring the pot.' I believe attendance has went down ever since he started reporting.

Peck
12-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I agree. It's my view that Wells is part of the Pacers attendance problem. He doesn't write articles that incite or entice fans to go to games. His style is like Kester says above, 'stirring the pot.' I believe attendance has went down ever since he started reporting.

It's not Mike Wells job to entice people to go to the games. It is his job to report on the Pacers, both good and bad.

Unlike the previous star beat writer Mike is not a member of the Pacers P.R. department.

Now having said that I will say this, I agree with U.B. on this statement. I think this was poor reporting on his part. He needed to explain a little better about what he was saying there.

kester99
12-27-2007, 10:05 PM
From Bruno's Scouting Report at pacers.com:

"O'Neal's status for the game is somewhat cloudy. He told The Indianapolis Star after Wednesday's loss in Atlanta that he "needed a break" and is listed as day-to-day with soreness in the left knee that has bothered him off and on throughout the season. "

Is that anything new? Or is that just combining a partial quote from Wells, with a factoid from our injury report. Haven't checked lately, but has JO been listed as day-to-day for some time? I know that Daniels was for a while even when he was back playing.

Will Galen
12-27-2007, 10:06 PM
It's not Mike Wells job to entice people to go to the games. It is his job to report on the Pacers, both good and bad.

Unlike the previous star beat writer Mike is not a member of the Pacers P.R. department.

Now having said that I will say this, I agree with U.B. on this statement. I think this was poor reporting on his part. He needed to explain a little better about what he was saying there.

I don't mind fair coverage. But Mike is part of the new ESPN breed that looks for dirt and tries for controversy. He knew what he was writing with that quote. I'm saying he is hurting Pacers attendance.

And in a few years he'll be writing Indianapolis didn't deserve the Pacers because Indy didn't support them. I hope the Pacers move to the Tampa-Clearwater-St. Petersburg area so I can go to the games.

Will Galen
12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
From Bruno's Scouting Report at pacers.com:

"O'Neal's status for the game is somewhat cloudy. He told The Indianapolis Star after Wednesday's loss in Atlanta that he "needed a break" and is listed as day-to-day with soreness in the left knee that has bothered him off and on throughout the season. "

Is that anything new? Or is that just combining a partial quote from Wells, with a factoid from our injury report. Haven't checked lately, but has JO been listed as day-to-day for some time? I know that Daniels was for a while even when he was back playing.

"I'm taking a break. I've given all I can give," probably means JO wants to go back to not having to practice, but O'B won't let him play without him practicing, so he's going to sit.

ilive4sports
12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't mind fair coverage. But Mike is part of the new ESPN breed that looks for dirt and tries for controversy. He knew what he was writing with that quote. I'm saying he is hurting Pacers attendance.

And in a few years he'll be writing Indianapolis didn't deserve the Pacers because Indy didn't support them. I hope the Pacers move to the Tampa-Clearwater-St. Petersburg area so I can go to the games.
Can they do that in the next week or so when i will be down there for vacation?

BlueNGold
12-27-2007, 11:01 PM

I think his writing is irrelevant because it either carries little weight or is not even read. The only people who read his opinions are diehard fans and can read right through them.....because the general public is not tuning in.

Peck
12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
"I'm taking a break. I've given all I can give," probably means JO wants to go back to not having to practice, but O'B won't let him play without him practicing, so he's going to sit.

I never took this into consideration but you may be exactly right here.

BTW, I am 100% behind JOB in this stance. No practice, no play.

I hope everybody remembers that last season that O'Neal did not practice one single time in a full practice with Dunleavy, Murphy or Diagu.

Also there may be some silver lining in all of this. If O'Neal sets we may get more Ike and Shawn.

Which in the long term is really better anyway for our franchise.

jeffg-body
12-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I think JO was frustrated and that was it. It happens all of the time in sports. Guys are fierce competitors and let emotion flow. Also possible a little better explaining by Mike Wells would have helped.

JayRedd
12-28-2007, 12:22 AM
I don't mind fair coverage. But Mike is part of the new ESPN breed that looks for dirt and tries for controversy.

Reading these two posts back-to-back sorta made me chuckle.

Naptown_Seth
12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm frustrated.
Exactly. Forget the "I'm done" aspect, the part that tells the story is the

Jermaine O'Neal sat in his uniform in the locker room long after the game ended
See I think that is poor reporting by Mike Wells. Not that I expect him to be able to read JO's mind, but Mike was right there and he needs to explain the quote a littleI agree with Buck and Kester. What kind of reporting is "bombshell - no follow up"? "Tonight at 11, what is about to kill you in your own home...now back to CSI: Omaha".

Um, could I maybe get that "critical" info now? Oh, it's not critical, then could you perhaps tone that s*** down a bit.

Now I do think JO was frustrated with the team and that he meant he had had enough emotionally with what he's trying to do. Maybe he's had enough Tinsley 0-8 from 3, maybe he's had enough Danny mistakes, maybe he's had enough of Troy letting his man go right to the lane so JO can foul out trying to cover his butt.

Whatever the case, this is a big story and Mike should have worked it some more. What, no one else could be asked about it? Mike didn't find this situation interesting enough to warrant more than a 2 sentence blurb about it? He IMPLIES some big story, but then he doesn't write the story.

In my mind you either make good on it or you don't mention it at all. It comes off as sensationalism when you straddle like this. I mean didn't we all hate the "I've got big trade news, but I can't tell you yet" kind of posts in the off-season?

Tom White
12-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, I guess the "JO doubtful for tonight" thread answers the question posed in this thread.

Let's see if we can paraphrase O'Neal a bit:

I'm gonna take a break. My knee is hurting something awful, and I'm gonna have to sit out a game or so. You know, I've given all I have to give under the circumstances, but my knee has to heal. I just don't have any more to give with it in the shape it is in.

Make sense?

Still, it would have been nice for Wells to ask a follow-up or two. Really poor journalism, the way he left it.