PDA

View Full Version : AM 1070 The Fan website is now up.

Tom White
12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Well, here is the new website for 1070AM radio. Seems strange to hear WIBC on FM now.

http://www.1070thefan.com

jmoney2584
12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
So does this mean pacers games will be on 1070AM or 93.1FM...also is 93.1 done with radio now forever, bc i really hope so...hated that station since day 1.

mildlysane
12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I also have to wonder about 950AM...Is it still going to be ESPN Radio as well?
Seems redundant if so....

Tom White
12-26-2007, 05:26 PM
So does this mean pacers games will be on 1070AM or 93.1FM...also is 93.1 done with radio now forever, bc i really hope so...hated that station since day 1.

93.1 will now have all the talk and news programs that WIBC-AM used to have.

Tom White
12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I also have to wonder about 950AM...Is it still going to be ESPN Radio as well?
Seems redundant if so....

Nope. 950 AM will still have their local afternoon sports show, but will now have the new Dan Patrick show and Sporting News Radio programming.

In other words, Indy now has all three of the national sports networks:

1070 Espn
950 Sporting News Radio
1260 Fox Sports Radio

Each station has local afternoon shows as well.

If you think about it, that is really something for a market the size of Indy. XM doesn't have all three, nor does Sirius.

obnoxiousmodesty
12-26-2007, 05:37 PM
The site has a daily schedule of their greatest games broadcasts for the next week or so.

For example, today and tomorrow they're showing:

12/26:

11pm-1am: Eastern Conference Finals, Game 4 - Bulls at Pacers (5/25/98)

4:30-6:30pm: Eastern Conference Finals, Game 6- Pacers at Knicks (6/2/00)

12/27:

5-7pm: Pacers at Suns (12/7/97)

8-10pm: Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, Game 5 - Bucks at Pacers (5/4/00)

10pm-12am: NBA Finals, Game 3 - Lakers at Pacers (6/11/00)

AB1077
12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I wish they were streaming. Maybe they are, but I can't find it anywhere. I can get the station, but it would just be nice to listen to it at the computer without all the AM interference.

esabyrn333
12-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, here is the new website for 1070AM radio. Seems strange to hear WIBC on FM now.

can you listen to either of them live from their web sites.

El Pacero
12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
You can only listen to the Atlanta stream on nba.com, it makes me appreciate our broadcasters a lot more.

Kegboy
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
As much as I detest :kravitz: getting airtime, I've got to hand it to them. They're smart enough to start him at 3pm instead of having an hour of Stephen A.

BoomBaby33
12-26-2007, 08:59 PM

It is? It sounds like nothing but static to me in Hendricks County. :cry: :mad:

With only dial up availability in my area (no cable, no DSL), the only option is the good old fashioned air waves (or expensive satellite or cell phone internet). I cant receive streaming audio on my slow dial up connection. And WIBC sucks because they won't boost their signal enough so that everybody in the Indy metro area can listen. So, if its not on FSN Indiana, I'm screwed.

I wish they would just simulcast on 93.1 FM also.

Anybody else have this issue? If so, we need to start a petition.

This is rediculous. :soapbox::rant::violin::grumble::bs:

RamBo_Lamar
12-26-2007, 11:09 PM
It is? It sounds like nothing but static to me in Hendricks County. :cry: :mad:

With only dial up availability in my area (no cable, no DSL), the only option is the good old fashioned air waves (or expensive satellite or cell phone internet). I cant receive streaming audio on my slow dial up connection. And WIBC sucks because they won't boost their signal enough so that everybody in the Indy metro area can listen. So, if its not on FSN Indiana, I'm screwed.

I wish they would just simulcast on 93.1 FM also.

Anybody else have this issue? If so, we need to start a petition.

This is rediculous.

Yes...know what you mean. Here is something I posted about this issue in
another thread not too long ago. Sure, you may have to spend a little
money, but it will likely solve your AM reception problem.

I live on the SW side of Indy somewhat near the airport, and know what
you mean about WIBC's weak signal to this area.

It can though be easily overcome with a radio specifically designed for
good AM reception such as the one found here:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/0547.html (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/0547.html)

The key is finding an AM radio that has a nice long ferrite-rod antenna like
this one has. This antenna is directional, and you can situate the radio to
null-out interfering stations, and give good reception of the desired station.

I had the same problem picking up WIBC using some cheap-azz clock
radio, until replacing it with a good radio similar to the one mentioned
above. It brings in WIBC beautifully like it was right next door.

And it you are trying to listen to the game using your living-room stereo
and its AM reception isn't too hot, there are directional loop antennas
available that will greatly boost performance and null-out interferance.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant.html

A good antenna is key to good reception in an otherwise "dead spot",
and especially if your house is near high-tension power lines that may
cause additional signal loss.When searching for this, I saw this post by Tom White that addresses
this issue as well, and suggests even more possibilities for equipment you
can use. I see Tom is an experienced AM DXer too!

Tom White
03-07-2007, 08:44 PM

If worst comes to worst, you could pick up a cheap Sirius radio and only subscribe during basketball season.

But the answer may be easier than that.

What type of radio are you using? Some radios just don't have good AM sections in them. Are you using an external antenna for AM, or just the radios built in ferrite bar antenna?

Here is what I would suggest, if your current set-up does not do well.

First, pick up a Terk Advantage loop antenna. these are tunable loops that can really help a lot. Not very expensive either.

Next, get a radio with a good AM section. I have a Boston Acoustics Recepter radio that (when teamed with the loop antenna) amazing for night-time AM reception down here in Brown County.

If the Boston radio is too expensive, look for a GE Superadio, another very good AM radio.

Other than those I wuold suggest a Sony portable with shortwave band. These are generally better than the regular sony portables for your purpose.

If you decide to try to get any of these an have trouble finding them, check out terk.com or JandR.com or Crutchfield.com. Also, Circuit City, Best Buy, and even Target have started to carry the Boston radio.

A good tunable loop antenna may actually be all you need.

BoomBaby33
12-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks Rambo Lamar!

I will definitely give one of those antennas a look see.

And come to think of it, my clock radio gets pretty good (better than my sterio anyway) AM reception. Maybe a combination of the 2 will get the job done for me.

I just think its rediculous that the supposed "best" AM radio station in Indy that carries one of our 2 professional sports franchises cant boost their signal more for the Pacer broadcasts, especially on a game night. At least the Colts are on FM. Heck, I remember when the Pacers used to be on FM for a while back in the early 90's and when Bob Lamey was the Pacer radio guy. I loved it.

Tom White
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Rambo Lamar!

I will definitely give one of those antennas a look see.

And come to think of it, my clock radio gets pretty good (better than my sterio anyway) AM reception. Maybe a combination of the 2 will get the job done for me.

I just think its rediculous that the supposed "best" AM radio station in Indy that carries one of our 2 professional sports franchises cant boost their signal more for the Pacer broadcasts, especially on a game night. At least the Colts are on FM. Heck, I remember when the Pacers used to be on FM for a while back in the early 90's and when Bob Lamey was the Pacer radio guy. I loved it.

It really is not 1070's fault that their night time signal is not as powerful as the signal during the day. They are required to lessen their coverage area at night.

Go to Radio-Locator.com and look up WIBC or 1070 in Indianapolis. Then check out the day and night coverage maps. You will see what I am talking about.

Again, it is not their fault, it is required in their license.

I have actually asked them about simulcasting the games on one of their (Emmis Broadcasting) FM stations, like they do with the Colts. Sadly, they did not seem very interested in the idea.

Also, Sangean has come out with a radio that is getting some good play as far as AM reception goes. It is their model PR-D5. It is not the most masculine looking radio I've ever seen, but may be worth a try. JR.com carries it.

Gyron
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
You know whats funny...I can pick 1070 down here in Charlotte, NC some nights, and have lsitened to a game or two that way.

But people who are close to Indy have a problem picking them up....

RamBo_Lamar
12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
You know whats funny...I can pick 1070 down here in Charlotte, NC some nights, and have lsitened to a game or two that way.

But people who are close to Indy have a problem picking them up....

Yes. I've easily listened to several Pacers games on what is now 1070 "WFNI"
while holed up in a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN. It is all a function of the directional
radiation pattern of the station's transmitting antenna array.

Here is link to the nightime coverage map Tom White recommended looking
at:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WFNI&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

You can see the directionality with the major lobe extending far SE from
Indianapolis. At night alot of that energy is going up into the ionosphere
and being reflected back down to earth in your general area.

The area around Indy most folks complain about reception is to the SW
of the city where you can see relatively little of the radiated signal is
being directed.

To solve the problem upping the power is not the answer. They would need
to do something that would alter the antenna array's radiation pattern.
This would be a somewhat expensive undertaking as well as require FCC
approval.

ABADays
12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Just out of curiosity - who broadcast the Pacer game last night. It wasn't listed on the WIBC website and NBA.com was streaming a local WIBC show (Steve Simpson). If 93.1 was carrying the game, they don't stream yet which is the only way I can hear it. Looks like I will have to listen to the visitors stream until this gets sorted out.

RamBo_Lamar
12-27-2007, 11:55 AM
It was on AM 1070 - WFNI

Kegboy
12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Just out of curiosity - who broadcast the Pacer game last night. It wasn't listed on the WIBC website and NBA.com was streaming a local WIBC show (Steve Simpson). If 93.1 was carrying the game, they don't stream yet which is the only way I can hear it. Looks like I will have to listen to the visitors stream until this gets sorted out.

WIBC is now 93.1. The NBA probably didn't know better and just continued to use WIBC's feed. The game was aired on 1070 (now WFNI), but their website doesn't have a feed.

Unclebuck
12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Who is this Eddie White guy. I've never heard of him.

Also I cannot believe they are continuing with the Jersey Johnny show.

And wow the 1969 500 takes 7 hours.

ABADays
12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Who is this Eddie White guy. I've never heard of him.

Also I cannot believe they are continuing with the Jersey Johnny show.

And wow the 1969 500 takes 7 hours.

What's wrong with Jersey Johnny? I quite like his show.

Unclebuck
12-27-2007, 01:50 PM
What's wrong with Jersey Johnny? I quite like his show.

There is nothing bad about his show really. Seems like the only trhing he can talk about is the Colts. As a Colts post-postgame show he is OK, but as a general talk show - he just doesn't seem to be very entertaining or interesting to me. He sound slike a guy you would hear hosting a sports show on a local High School radio.

ABADays
12-27-2007, 04:35 PM
There is nothing bad about his show really. Seems like the only trhing he can talk about is the Colts. As a Colts post-postgame show he is OK, but as a general talk show - he just doesn't seem to be very entertaining or interesting to me. He sound slike a guy you would hear hosting a sports show on a local High School radio.

Well true, but that's basically why I listen to his show - for Colts stuff.

Rajah Brown
12-28-2007, 09:02 AM
UB, JJ's gig is only an hour long. It'll go quick.

Kravitz for 3 hrs may be another story ! And no clue who
his compadre Eddie White is. Never heard of him.

I'll probably be sticking with JMV on AM-1260....

BoomBaby33
12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes. I've easily listened to several Pacers games on what is now 1070 "WFNI"
while holed up in a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN. It is all a function of the directional
radiation pattern of the station's transmitting antenna array.

Here is link to the nightime coverage map Tom White recommended looking
at:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WFNI&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

You can see the directionality with the major lobe extending far SE from
Indianapolis. At night alot of that energy is going up into the ionosphere
and being reflected back down to earth in your general area.

The area around Indy most folks complain about reception is to the SW
of the city where you can see relatively little of the radiated signal is
being directed.

To solve the problem upping the power is not the answer. They would need
to do something that would alter the antenna array's radiation pattern.
This would be a somewhat expensive undertaking as well as require FCC
approval.

Jeez ... no wonder. I'm in one of those areas just outside the outer loop on that radio locater. Oh well, guess thats my luck. At least the people in Cincinnati can get our radio station. :rolleyes:

Speed
12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
will now have the new Dan Patrick show and Sporting News Radio programming.

First time I read that, I thought it said Mark Patrick...

Tom White
12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
First time I read that, I thought it said Mark Patrick...

You need to wash your mouth out with soap for saying that name.

tora tora
12-28-2007, 10:35 PM
So will 93.1 start airing the Pacer games any time soon?

Kegboy
12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
So will 93.1 start airing the Pacer games any time soon?

No, it will continue to be 1070.

Hicks
12-29-2007, 12:55 AM
1070AM is pathetic at night in terms of signal. I was in Castleton coming home during the 1st quarter and on I-69 before I was even to the Pendleton exit, it was hard to listen to. In fact enough so that once the 1st quarter was over I just turned it off. I don't know how they convinced themselves they didn't need to improve this. Getting the games to 93.1 would have been amazing.