PDA

View Full Version : Remember Anthony Johnson...

Kegboy
12-26-2007, 10:00 AM
..., you know, the guy who wasn't even a point guard, let alone a leader. The guy PS&E threw under the bus (along with Cro) as being the cause of bad team chemistry back in '06, not to mention the only man in NBA history to single-handedly lose a playoff game by scoring 40 points.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_071226.html

Familiar face leading Atlanta's charge

By Conrad Brunner | Dec. 25, 2007

Though they are the youngest team in the Eastern Conference, the Atlanta Hawks might be just another batch of untapped potential without a familiar veteran leading the charge.

Anthony Johnson has provided stabilizing leadership for his young teammates as the Hawks carry a four-game winning streak into Wednesday night's game with the Pacers, one of Johnson's former teams. Atlanta is 12-6 with Johnson in the starting lineup, and he has averaged 13.5 points, 9.5 assists and .500 shooting in the current streak.

"A.J. has been phenomenal," Hawks Coach Mike Woodson told the Atlanta Constitution. "He's running our ballclub, getting the ball where it has to go. He's defending for us and he's scoring. He's doing everything a point guard is supposed to do. It's beautiful to see, because I think these guys are really starting to latch on around him and they're playing right along with him."

An 11-year veteran, Johnson spent 2003-06 with the Pacers before being traded to Dallas for Darrell Armstrong, Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell. He returned to Atlanta in February for his third stint with the Hawks. With his steady hand at the helm, the Hawks (14-12) look like playoff contenders for the first time in years.

"That's what happens when you have a veteran point guard," said Marvin Williams. "He's been there, he's been around, he's seen this many times before. So he was able to keep us organized and keep us under control."

The Pacers (15-13) have won four of five but are heading into a tough stretch of schedule with 12 of the next 17 on the road.

But hey, we got DA, right? Oh, well, that Josh Powell could become a real player someday. Really, not him either. At least there's Rawle Marshall, that's better than nothing. Huh. Hey, you know, it doesn't matter, because we've got such great backup Points now. :blush:

naptownmenace
12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
But hey, we got DA, right? Oh, well, that Josh Powell could become a real player someday. Really, not him either. At least there's Rawle Marshall, that's better than nothing. Huh. Hey, you know, it doesn't matter, because we've got such great backup Points now. :blush:

You just couldn't resist, could ya? :mad:

Ragnar
12-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I am happy he supposedly learned how to play point guard finally.

But I am even more happy he is not here any more.

Major Cold
12-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I always liked AJ.

Alabama-Redneck
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I always liked AJ.

Me too,especially somewhere else. AJ is fine as a PG if you don't pressure him bringing up the ball or guard him too close.

Obviously, several other teams could not see his talent either, including Atlanta earlier in his career. 18 games does not make an outstanding player. JMO

:cool:

naptownmenace
12-26-2007, 10:53 AM
I am happy he supposedly learned how to play point guard finally.

But I am even more happy he is not here any more.

Anthony Johnson is much better at the PG position than he is at SG - he's better with the ball in his hands than he running around to get open or spotting up for jumpers.

Oh and he knew how to play point guard his final year with the Pacers. At the time he was the best PG on the team. :nod:

Isaac
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
That game 6 of the New Jersey series was the most easily predictable un-predictable game ever.

I remember AJ had really been dominating the ball a lot that series and scoring a lot of points, especially in game 5 (IIRC). I remember going in to game 6 thinking, AJ could score 40 tonight but I doubt we win. That's exactly what happened and all the analysts were shocked at AJs performance.

Dr. Goldfoot
12-26-2007, 10:58 AM
I like AJ. Unfortunately, you left out how Dallas saw no need for him and shipped him off for 2nd round picks and how earlier this season with the Hawks he refused to report because he was riding the bench. He was publicly pouting until they had no choice (due to injuries) but to bring him back into the fold and start him. He has played well since his return though.

DisplacedKnick
12-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Trading him last summer, when you had no backup PG and your starter had health issues, was the dumbass move of the season - even worse than getting Harrington/trading Harrington.

Just plain crazy - I never saw any sense in it.

Shack80
12-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Pacers were in a tail spin trying to fix the teams PR. You have to look at it in context with all the shenanigans that had gone on the last several seasons.

Isaac
12-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Trading him last summer, when you had no backup PG and your starter had health issues, was the dumbass move of the season - even worse than getting Harrington/trading Harrington.

Yeah, but I give Larry a pass on that one. The reason is that we've seen now that commitment to JT can bring some nice rewards. I felt like this move was a way to committ to him, but it wasn't quite the right thing to do, the coaching change was.

Obviously his mistake was putting too much faith in Saras.

able
12-26-2007, 11:40 AM
All I know is that AJ better double tape his ankles tonight and walk backwards with his butt towards our side of the court or he will have a load of problems he can't handle.

I am happy he does well a short stint again, knowing it wont last, hence the reason why he goes from team to team, he seems to wear thin fast.

If JT is healthy today, then AJ is no match whatsoever.

McKeyFan
12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I didn't like AJ with Carlisle.

I would like to have seen AJ in Obie's system. And, we need a backup pg desparately.

Ragnar
12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh and he knew how to play point guard his final year with the Pacers. At the time he was the best PG on the team. :nod:

Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning

Anthem
12-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Before reading the thread, I'll make this one comment:

AJ has had 15-game and 20-game streaks before.

Also, it's not just TPTB that have shipped him out.

Hicks
12-26-2007, 12:18 PM
1) While I could get pissed at him, I thought AJ was "OK" while here.

2) This is only a streak, and I think guys like Josh Smith and Joe Johnson have just a little bit more to do with the wins than he does (though the numbers are nice)

3) This still says nothing about his attitude. Too many hints dropped about his time here by the local press, plus Dallas even dumped him mid-season.

Kegboy
12-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I like AJ. Unfortunately, you left out how Dallas saw no need for him and shipped him off for 2nd round picks and how earlier this season with the Hawks he refused to report because he was riding the bench. He was publicly pouting until they had no choice (due to injuries) but to bring him back into the fold and start him. He has played well since his return though.

You're right, Dallas did drop him. And what happened to them after that? Specifically, what point guard killed them in the playoffs? I still maintain they would have beat GS if they'd had AJ to guard Baron.

Hicks
12-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh, and New Jersey didn't want him anymore either.

As for the "How'd that work out for them" question (regarding both NJ and Dallas), it's true they had misfortune, but that doesn't necessarily mean dumping AJ was the wrong move. It means they lost either way. Keep the guy with issues you don't like, or be thinner at backup PG. Apparently at least 3 teams thought his issues weren't worth keeping him around. New Jersey wasn't exactly his first team, either.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading earlier THIS very season that he and the Hawks' coach got into it (verbally) and I thought the story was AJ didn't show for practice and/or a game, or walked out of practice then didn't show for a game, or was told NOT to come. Whatever it was, it wasn't good.

McKeyFan
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
You're right, Dallas did drop him. And what happened to them after that? Specifically, what point guard killed them in the playoffs? I still maintain they would have beat GS if they'd had AJ to guard Baron.

Hadn't heard that one before.

Interesting point.

Kegboy
12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh, and New Jersey didn't want him anymore either.

As for the "How'd that work out for them" question (regarding both NJ and Dallas), it's true they had misfortune, but that doesn't necessarily mean dumping AJ was the wrong move. It means they lost either way. Keep the guy with issues you don't like, or be thinner at backup PG. Apparently at least 3 teams thought his issues weren't worth keeping him around. New Jersey wasn't exactly his first team, either.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading earlier THIS very season that he and the Hawks' coach got into it (verbally) and I thought the story was AJ didn't show for practice and/or a game, or walked out of practice then didn't show for a game, or was told NOT to come. Whatever it was, it wasn't good.

Yeah, and whatever happened, it sure destroyed the team, didn't it? When you've got the coach and players praising him for bringing the team together and leading them into prosperity, geez, that sure must be an ugly locker room.

grace
12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
If the dumb shi...I mean TPTB had never gotten rid of AJ I might very well still be a Pacers fan.

Hicks
12-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, and whatever happened, it sure destroyed the team, didn't it? When you've got the coach and players praising him for bringing the team together and leading them into prosperity, geez, that sure must be an ugly locker room.

Could be.

Then again, more **** could hit the fan before April rolls around, too.....

kester99
12-26-2007, 02:00 PM
If JT is healthy today, then AJ is no match whatsoever.

Agree heartily (assuming JT doesn't come into the game with post-holiday lethargy, which he's shown before.). But. Our match-up problem's with the hawks is down on the post, not out front. JO, Ike and Jeff better have dancing feet tonight...won't even mention that possibilty with Murph.

Naptown_Seth
12-26-2007, 02:12 PM
You just couldn't resist, could ya? :mad:
Why should he? I don't even 100% agree that AJ behind Tins would be okay now, but when results back a viewpoint you must respect them. I harp on stuff for the same reason. God help PD if Rick gets an East job and leads a team to the Finals. ;)

Now with AJ in Atlanta I somewhat suspect that he benefits from being more of the main vet player than he was in Indy. Here he was still behind Tins, JO and Foster as long time vet Pacers, let alone impact or running the show or whatever. There I suspect he's a bit more free to be the guy calling the shots and sort of directing the show. Even Joe J is young an fairly new to the Hawks.

Trader Joe
12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Johnson is fine when he is the starting PG. Which he is in Atlanta when he is stuck behind a superior player (Terry and Harris, Tins, and Kidd) then he does wear thin because he thinks he should be playing more than he does.
The Hawks are the perfect situation for him right now. At least til Acie Law passes him up.

Naptown_Seth
12-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Goldfoot has the answer on this, along with similar rumors about attitude in Indy...

earlier this season with the Hawks he refused to report because he was riding the bench. He was publicly pouting until they had no choice (due to injuries) but to bring him back into the fold and start him.The Nets let him go to and he showed some signs of attitude there as well considering how he seemed to seriously step it up against his former team...or did he drop 40 all the time? And they weren't exactly in a rush to fix their "mistake" and reacquire him, even when his value was low.

We don't know for certain, but the sense with him sure seems to be chip-on-the-shoulder chemistry problem. For all the Mel-Mel the Abuser talk, isn't there an AJ version of that guy too? I'd put Danny/Rush on him tonight and just hound the heck out of him, knowing that he'll force things in an attempt to prove a point to TPTB.

Tom White
12-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I didn't like AJ with Carlisle.

I would like to have seen AJ in Obie's system. And, we need a backup pg desparately.

But hasn't the last part of what you said been one of Johnson's problems? Hasn't he always seen himself as a starter? I thought that was one of his problems with the Pacers, that he felt he should be the starter and let it be known.

Will Galen
12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Johnson is fine when he is the starting PG. Which he is in Atlanta when he is stuck behind a superior player (Terry and Harris, Tins, and Kidd) then he does wear thin because he thinks he should be playing more than he does.
The Hawks are the perfect situation for him right now. At least til Acie Law passes him up.

Pretty good point!

NapTonius Monk
12-26-2007, 02:56 PM

:lolchair: Baron Davis would have eaten him alive! It sounds like his attitude is fine when things go his way, but when they don't, then you have to put up with major 'tude. Do you think they would have let him go otherwise?

Major Cold
12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Indy is right on. If he shut his hole and played his role then he would have been accepted more. If he put the same energy on defense as he did complaining about PT then we would not have shipped him out. Add Saras' attitude, Jackson, Artest, and Harrison melt down's. Not to forget JO and Tins skipping out on practice. The atmosphere was volatile.

The Pacers are cleaning up that volatile enviroment. Tins and Harrison are in a sink or swim mode. And I don't think that JO is going to be traded. EVER.

Kegboy
12-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I love the revisionist history. When did AJ complain about PT? He was always fine with being a backup.

Alpolloloco
12-26-2007, 04:25 PM
AJ was one of the worst PG's the Pacers ever had!

Glad we traded him, I think DA did a fine job replacing him.

bellisimo
12-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I love the revisionist history. When did AJ complain about PT? He was always fine with being a backup.

when did he not? he was always talking about getting respect/playing time/being a starter...

that is what I remember of AJ and his comments...:-p

Isaac
12-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Glad we traded him, I think DA did a fine job replacing him.

I think Darrell just hit the front of the rim on another 3.

In all seriousness, Darrell did a great job last year getting the guys energized and started our continued tradition of standing untill we score.

NuffSaid
12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Goldfoot has the answer on this, along with similar rumors about attitude in Indy...
The Nets let him go to and he showed some signs of attitude there as well considering how he seemed to seriously step it up against his former team...or did he drop 40 all the time? And they weren't exactly in a rush to fix their "mistake" and reacquire him, even when his value was low.

We don't know for certain, but the sense with him sure seems to be chip-on-the-shoulder chemistry problem. For all the Mel-Mel the Abuser talk, isn't there an AJ version of that guy too? I'd put Danny/Rush on him tonight and just hound the heck out of him, knowing that he'll force things in an attempt to prove a point to TPTB.
I'll go on record and say I thought AJ was a steady hand at the Point, but he wasn't the answer to the Pacers' PG woes. I also think he did more to destablize unit cohesiveness among the PG core. Goldfoot is right! It wasn't until AJ finally got his way and became the starting PG or atleast got a larger share of the minutes at the Point, sometimes even finishing games, was he ever really happy. Still, I don't think many can argue that in RC's half-court system, AJ thrived. But in a quicker more uptempo game, I'm not so sure he really works despite what his record is as a starter w/the Hawks. He's logged more minutes because they've got nobody else to run their offense. And secretly, I'm sure that's exactly how he likes it.

Naptown Seth, looks like we share the same defensive strategy. That's exactly what I'd do because you know Tinsley will also be out there trying to show AJ up. I'm sure these two have gone at each other in practice games and are fully aware of each others moves, strengths/weaknesses. That's why I'd put Dunleavy and Quis out there to pressure him and see how he handles the double-team. Odds are these quicker, more agile Guards will rattle him.

Will Galen
12-26-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd put Danny/Rush on him tonight and just hound the heck out of him, knowing that he'll force things in an attempt to prove a point to TPTB.

Makes sense, but who does Tins guard then, Joe Johnson? It appears to me you have to put Tins on AJ. At least you know Tins is going to be trying to make a point too, and he's going to play defense against AJ.

BlueNGold
12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
It wasn't until AJ finally got his way and became the starting PG or atleast got a larger share of the minutes at the Point, sometimes even finishing games, was he ever really happy.
That's why I'd put Dunleavy and Quis out there to pressure him and see how he handles the double-team. Odds are these quicker, more agile Guards will rattle him.

I agree with pressuring AJ b/c his handle is questionable. However, the statement about him not being happy unless he starts firmly applies to JT as well. Both players are legit starting PG's, but to say the least, neither are that impressive. I would take Mark Jackson over either one in a heartbeat.

BlueNGold
12-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Makes sense, but who does Tins guard then, Joe Johnson? It appears to me you have to put Tins on AJ. At least you know Tins is going to be trying to make a point too, and he's going to play defense against AJ.

Start Quis and pressure AJ. That would take AJ right out of the game IMO.

mb221
12-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree with pressuring AJ b/c his handle is questionable. However, the statement about him not being happy unless he starts firmly applies to JT as well. Both players are legit starting PG's, but to say the least, neither are that impressive. I would take Mark Jackson over either one in a heartbeat.

I doubt you would find many people to disagree with you on that one.

kester99
12-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Johnson's 6'7"-ish, w/ 22 pts per game. We do not want Tins on him, both for what Johnson can do, and because of the distraction it would be for JT trying to guard their high scorer. Danny or Marquis on him, for sure, I'd think.

BlueNGold
12-26-2007, 06:43 PM

I would like to believe you were right. I have a lot of respect for him. Leadership and playmaking were two of his strong suits. ...but as much as I liked him, PG has never been a great position for the Pacers in my viewing history.

Will Galen
12-26-2007, 06:48 PM

I do! Mark is well past his prime! (grin)

Will Galen
12-26-2007, 06:55 PM
PG has never been a great position for the Pacers in my viewing history.

Point is probably their weakest position if you look at their complete history. Freddy Lewis and Don Buse are the two I liked best.

As for Mark Jackson I think Tinsley has a comparable skill set, but Mark was way smarter.

Big Smooth
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I always liked AJ when he was a Pacer and never understood a lot of the hate for him. But such is life.

Shade
12-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't miss AJ at all, and I very much believe that he was part of the problem with our chemistry here.

grace
12-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't miss AJ at all, and I very much believe that he was part of the problem with our chemistry here.

So what was the excuse after he was gone?

Shade
12-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Note that I stated AJ was part of the problem. We still had some knuckleheads to exorcise.

BlueNGold
12-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Note that I stated AJ was part of the problem. We still had some knuckleheads to exorcise.

Yep, and part of the problem still remains. Unfortunately, we killed the nice green lawn with the weed killer. :(

....eh, might as well finish the job and re-seed. :D

Big Smooth
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM

I think he was just a scapegoat and I'll continue to believe that myself. "Hey nevermind the real problems here that AJ is a real BLEEP!"

McKeyFan
12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I think he was just a scapegoat and I'll continue to believe that myself. "Hey nevermind the real problems here that AJ is a real BLEEP!"

Makes you wonder. I don't see Tins as the consumate peacemaker.

I just doubt AJ will ever have a posse chasing him down with machine guns.

Bball
12-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Yep, and part of the problem still remains. Unfortunately, we killed the nice green lawn with the weed killer. :(

....eh, might as well finish the job and re-seed. :D

...Gonna need new topsoil first...

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
12-27-2007, 04:07 AM
That's exactly what I'd do because you know Tinsley will also be out there trying to show AJ up.
FTW...well, not the Pacers win. ;)

AJ won this round, pretty clearly too. :(

Well if we are to believe the quotes in the paper, the ones people use to show how great it is with Rick gone and JOB in town, the team has never been happier. JO also said that post GS trade the locker room vibe was great.

Since86
12-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I find it pretty funny to read that AJ's biggest problem was his attitude considering Tinsley's history.

Getting rid of one malcontent to please another doesn't do much good. Atleast AJ showed up to work each and every day, while he was here because I could careless what he does now in ATL.

Jamaal Tinsley will only lead this team down the crapper. I don't mind him as a player/person, his decision making skills are completely lacking. He has all the talent he needs to be a very very good PG, but what he has between the ears will always limit him.

I would much rather have a less talented PG who makes good/great decisions, than a talented one that makes bad decisions. Not to say that AJ is that player, but I'm a lot more comfortable with AJ's shooting ability than Tinsley's if they are going to turn into a chucker.

rexnom
12-27-2007, 10:52 AM
I think the problems with AJ could have been solved by Obie's "no crap and no favorites" attitude. I don't think that the man is necessarily a miracle worker but I just think that his coaching would have worked with AJ.

Unclebuck
12-27-2007, 10:58 AM
AJ would be a perfect back-up for us. Oh wait, he always was the perfect backup - now we see what we are missing

rexnom
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I think there's a problem when AJ's the starter...but if he's backing Tins up, then that's perfect. However, we'd have to be guaranteed that he wouldn't complain an would accept his role.

Ragnar
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I love how everyone forgets how quickly the offense ground to a halt when AJ when in. Ok he may have had a good game against us. His former team. How many crappy players have good games against their former teams? Erick Dampier anyone?

Brevin Knight would have been the perfect backup for us.

Unclebuck
12-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I love how everyone forgets how quickly the offense ground to a halt when AJ when in. Ok he may have had a good game against us. His former team. How many crappy players have good games against their former teams? Erick Dampier anyone?

Let me ask you question. Would you like to have AJ as the Pacers backup point guard right now. Would that make this current team better.

Since86
12-27-2007, 11:21 AM

And it didn't come to a halt when JO was in the game? The whole offense was stagnant, not just when AJ came on to the floor.

naptownmenace
12-27-2007, 11:39 AM
I think there's a problem when AJ's the starter...but if he's backing Tins up, then that's perfect. However, we'd have to be guaranteed that he wouldn't complain an would accept his role.

It's just the opposite. AJ is good as the starter. Not so good as the back up.

He plays better when he's on the court with the best players on the team. The defense slacks off of him and he can knock down open shots.

I will say this though, AJ no longer has any problem getting the ball up the court quickly. He pushed the ball nearly as well as Tinsley last night. I've seen Atlanta play a couple of other times too and he's more of a complete PG now than he's ever been. Because he's the unquestioned starter and veteran leader he's stepped up his game.

Kegboy
12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I love how everyone forgets how quickly the offense ground to a halt when AJ when in. Ok he may have had a good game against us. His former team. How many crappy players have good games against their former teams?

Huh. I knew AJ has played for a lot of teams, but I didn't know the last 19 games have each been against one of them.

Bball
12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
AJ was a fine PG when JO went down and Carlisle dusted off the playbook and went away from the starmaker offense for JO.

-Bball

Young
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
AJ is a real solid point guard. He has his flaws, he isn't an all star, but really who cares. He does what is asked of him and does it pretty well.

Also, the Hawks don't get much attention but there team is very nice. AJ and JJ gives them a veteran backcourt and there young guys like Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, and Sheldan Williams have experience. While Al Horford has came in as a rookie and made a contribution. I really like their team and AJ has done a real nice job for them this year.

Trader Joe
12-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Anthony Johnson does not like being a backup. That is the real issue. Not his skill. He does a lot of things pretty well, but AJ wants to be a starter or at the very least he wants to get 28-30 MPG. He couldn't get that here, Dallas, or New Jersey. So no I would not want Anthony Johnson back as our backup. Its not a role he wants.

We need a backup PG though. There is no doubt about that.

Anthem
12-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Anthony Johnson does not like being a backup. That is the real issue. Not his skill. He does a lot of things pretty well, but AJ wants to be a starter or at the very least he wants to get 28-30 MPG. He couldn't get that here, Dallas, or New Jersey. So no I would not want Anthony Johnson back as our backup. Its not a role he wants.

We need a backup PG though. There is no doubt about that.
Exactly. AJ's recent play is nothing new.

He plays his heart out when given a starting role, but don't you dare put him on the bench or his entire game goes into the toilet. How many times when he was here did we say things like "Wow AJ has really turned the corner... just wait until JT gets back and we'll have two really solid point guards." And Jamaal would come back and shine, and AJ's game would disappear. He just didn't try as hard when he was a backup.

Nothing about this year's performance (including the part before this streak) makes me think anything has changed.

NuffSaid
12-27-2007, 07:22 PM
What last night's game should have proven to everyone as far as the starting PGs for both teams are concerned is "consistent play" and "playing to your strengths" will always beat out "erratic play" and "playing to your weaknesses". The teacher wasn't necessarily better than the student, but he was more efficient because he (AJ) did those things he does best:

- plays within the offense and didn't try to force things.

- takes what the defense gives him.

- played to his talents, not above them.

- controlled the tempo.

While the above may paint AJ in a very good light, truth is had Tinsley tried less to show up AJ and played more to his strengths which IMO are ball distribution, dribble penetration when the floor spacing permits, kick out to the perimeter shooter, the Pacers would have won hands down. You notice that each time he looked for and found Murphy, Dunleavy or Granger out on the wing whenever he kicked the ball back out they hit the trey? Or whenever he posted up his opponent under control he was successful? But as long as he tried to force things or show up AJ, he lost the battle miserably.

Mourning
12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
AJ was a fine PG when JO went down and Carlisle dusted off the playbook and went away from the starmaker offense for JO.

-Bball

:ding:

Naptown_Seth
12-28-2007, 03:48 PM
He certainly wouldn't take Diener + Owens minutes, as his original response in Atlanta shows.

I agree with Nuff, Indy and Anthem's posts. No one reasonable is saying that the Pacers couldn't use AJ for 15-20 a night. They are saying that the team had chemistry issues and that on most nights if you had Tins OR AJ but not both, you'd be better off with Tinsley.

But we also realize Tins is problematic too, erratic and prone to oneupmanship. I hated Army's 3pt ball last year (quite the chucker), but he brought a ton of energy. They could use his game right now and that would make that deal look a lot better. It's not like they dumped Army before Dallas dumped AJ.