PDA

View Full Version : cavs tradeing larry hughes! if that anyone want him that is?

sportsmusicxboxpacer
12-25-2007, 10:30 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wiretap_key_header>Cavaliers Reportedly Shopping Hughes</TD></TR><TR><TD>December 25, 2007 - 7:09 am</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Hughes_Larry_cle.jpgCleveland Plain-Dealer -
Larry Hughes (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/131/larry_hughes/)' time with the Cavaliers (http://cavaliers.realgm.com/) might be just about over. According to several league sources, the Cavs (http://cavaliers.realgm.com/) have contacted several teams about a deal involving the 6-5 guard.

One source said the Washington Wizards (http://wizards.realgm.com/) are one of those teams, and another source said another team is in the Atlantic Division.

Hughes spent three years with the Wizards (http://wizards.realgm.com/) before signing a free-agent deal with the Cavs (http://cavaliers.realgm.com/) in 2005 worth between $65 million and $70 million.

While the trade deadline is February 21, Hughes may not last until then.

"Hughes will be gone way before then," said one source, who did not want to be identified. [READ] (javascript:rgmow('/rgmow.php?aid=49918','49918')) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49918/20071225/cavaliers_reportedly_shopping_hughes/

rexnom
12-25-2007, 10:31 AM
He never should have left the Wizards.

Mourning
12-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Aggreed Rex.

TheDon
12-25-2007, 11:25 AM
really true rex, I remember when he was on the wizards and when I had first started hearinga bout him. the dude was a thief in washington I remember him getting nearly 2 steals just about every game and him and gil were torching people.

Oneal07
12-25-2007, 12:19 PM
He never should have left the Wizards.

I guess he wanted to play along side Lebron. But didn't really get to play along side LeBron :devil:

I wonder if New York is that team in the atlantic lol

Hicks
12-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd give them Troy and Andre. Otherwise no thanks.

Shade
12-25-2007, 12:37 PM
It's about time. I think they would have shopped him heavily last season if not for the unfortunate circumstances with his family.

And no, I have no interest in bringing him here.

ajbry
12-25-2007, 01:33 PM
really true rex, I remember when he was on the wizards and when I had first started hearinga bout him. the dude was a thief in washington I remember him getting nearly 2 steals just about every game and him and gil were torching people.

For the record, Hughes isn't even a good defender. Plays passing lanes well but gambles way too much.

Dude played well enough to get a massive contract and has fallen back to earth after that one season. The Cavs wasted a couple years with the experiment too.

Trader Joe
12-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I'd imagine the Nets are the other team in the Atlantic.
The Cavs are probably trying to work a deal that brings Kidd to Cleveland and sends Hughes and filler to New Jersey.

Doddage
12-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Hughes would be nice back in Washington and would probably do better given he'd have Arenas, Butler, AND Jamison to take the pressure off him so that he can do the small things that the team would need. But with that said, Stevenson's really come along and has worked hard, so who's to say that Hughes would beat him out in the starting rotation?

Alpolloloco
12-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Change Andre to Stephen and I agree.

wintermute
12-25-2007, 06:18 PM

how about murphy and diener? cavs need shooting right? :D

not a big fan of hughes either - injury prone guard who can't shoot - but he did burn us the last time we played the cavs. an extra guard would be more useful than an extra big right now. and hughes has one year less on his deal than troy.

honestly though, i don't see the cavs being interested.

CableKC
12-25-2007, 07:45 PM
We have no minutes for Hughes unless we move ( or include ) one of our SG/SFs.

aero
12-25-2007, 08:50 PM
No really interested in his services however Id be willing to do a 3 team trade involving him , Murphy and another player :D

Pacersfan46
12-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I followed him in college, because my g/f at the time was friends with Larry's college g/f. She was telling me about him and made him sound like a big deal so I started keeping tabs, and I've never liked his game.

He won awards in college for just chucking up shots on a bad team, impressive. Right? Blah.

And his wrist is always hurting him, I think there is really something wrong with it. It bothered him in college, getting shots in his wrist before games .....

No thanks.

-- Steve --

Anthem
12-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Supposedly Donnie likes him a lot... the Pacers have pursued him in the past.

I've always disliked his game, and the injuries don't help. Put him in a Pacers uni and he'd shatter his wrist all the way up to the shoulder.

Young
12-25-2007, 10:19 PM
He won't be a Pacer. I don't really see where he fits in with our team.

I hope to see him back in Washington. I think they may have the pieces to get him back too. Something like Daniels, filler, Nick Young maybe for Hughes. Or maybe they get the 76ers involed. Andre Miller to the Cavs, Hughes to Washington, and Daniels, fillers, pick or Young to the 76ers.

ajbry
12-25-2007, 10:24 PM
He won't be a Pacer. I don't really see where he fits in with our team.

I hope to see him back in Washington. I think they may have the pieces to get him back too. Something like Daniels, filler, Nick Young maybe for Hughes. Or maybe they get the 76ers involed. Andre Miller to the Cavs, Hughes to Washington, and Daniels, fillers, pick or Young to the 76ers.

If I'm Washington there's absolutely no way I'm trading both Daniels and Young for someone like Larry Hughes with a bloated contract. No way.

Anthem
12-25-2007, 11:25 PM
If I'm Washington there's absolutely no way I'm trading both Daniels and Young for someone like Larry Hughes with a bloated contract. No way.
That was my thought. I'd rather stick with Young.

CableKC
12-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Hughes is owed ~$37 mil over the next 3 seasons averaging about $12.5 mil a season. It's hard to simply get a team to take on that much and get back someone that will help Lebron.

If the Cavs want to dump Hughes.....then the only trade that works from the Wizards POV where they don't have to give up too much is:

Hughes

for

Etan Thomas + Deshawn Stevenson

Thomas and Deshawn are owed about the same amount over the next 3-4 seasons.

The Knicks could offer up:

Hughes

for

Crawford + Freddie Jones

But the same question arises for the Knicks and the Wizards.....why would they want to make the trade in the first place without any incentive?

rexnom
12-26-2007, 12:41 AM
The only thing that the Cavs can do is either offer someone incentive to pick up Hughes, hope that some team is nostalgic on his talent (like the Wiz, maybe?) or pick up someone else's bad contract and hope that they can help LeBron more than Hughes can.

They'll probably be forced into doing that last one. The low-end of those deals is dealing with us and getting Troy Murphy. The high-end is dealing with New York and getting Stephon Marbury (plus Cleveland filler).

Edit: They could also try to get JO. Would a Gooden, Hughes, Boobie Gibson package do it?

I could see this trade pissing off Anthem to no end. Talk about quality for quantity.

We could even expand it:

JO and Murphy for Brown (decent prospect), Newble (one year on their deals), Gibson, Gooden, and Hughes

Just throwing it out there...

Robertmto
12-26-2007, 01:17 AM
we have no more for him anymore in Washington. Logjams at the 2 and 3. Unless CLE is under the cap (which i doubt) and we can just trade a pick for him.

rexnom
12-26-2007, 01:31 AM
we have no more for him anymore in Washington. Logjams at the 2 and 3. Unless CLE is under the cap (which i doubt) and we can just trade a pick for him.
I don't know...I'd love to see Hughes back in DC. If the Wiz can get him for Daniels and Thomas (as much as I love him), then don't you kind of have to do it?

Kofi
12-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Hughes is horrible. He has nothing that resembles an offensive game. The Cavs are stuck with their huge mistake. Unless they wanna throw in their 1st this year, in which case I'd be willing to listen to a potential deal with them if I were Bird.

Robertmto
12-26-2007, 03:41 AM
I don't know...I'd love to see Hughes back in DC. If the Wiz can get him for Daniels and Thomas (as much as I love him), then don't you kind of have to do it?

Thomas is injured. We cant trade him.

rexnom
12-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Thomas is injured. We cant trade him.
Because this is NBA Live? If the Cavs are holding a fire sale for Hughes and all they really ask for is some smaller, filler contracts and maybe a late pick then the Wiz have to jump on this, right?

naptownmenace
12-26-2007, 10:08 AM

I wouldn't. Troy at least is a big body and fills a need on this team. Hughes would be redundant.

Anthem
12-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't. Troy at least is a big body and fills a need on this team. Hughes would be redundant.
The funny thing is that for all I'd love to move Trophy for just about anybody in the league with a shorter contract, Hughes is at least one guy that I wouldn't touch.

Will Galen
12-26-2007, 02:19 PM
. . . an extra guard would be more useful than an extra big right now. and hughes has one year less on his deal than troy.

Drinking for the holidays huh!

That's the only way I can believe anyone would think another guard would be more useful to the Pacers than a big. Why do you think the Pacers have been resigning Sims so many times? Because we are thin on bigs!!!!

As far as Hughes having one less year on his contract than Troy, it's also 3 million more per year which would make us have to pay about two million in luxury tax. So Hughes would actually be $5 million more.

Geesh! You guys that want to trade Troy for Hughes need to take another look! That would be a really, bad trade on several fronts!

naptownmenace
12-26-2007, 02:47 PM

That's the only way I can believe anyone would think another guard would be more useful to the Pacers than a big. Why do you think the Pacers have been resigning Sims so many times? Because we are thin on bigs!!!!

As far as Hughes having one less year on his contract than Troy, it's also 3 million more per year which would make us have to pay about two million in luxury tax. So Hughes would actually be $5 million more.

Geesh! You guys that want to trade Troy for Hughes need to take another look! That would be a really, bad trade on several fronts!

Murphy is the trade du jour. Pacers fans always have to have at least one person that they want to trade for pennys on the dollar. With Tinsley and JO playing better, the focus has shifted to Murphy despite that he's been playing better lately.

Anthem
12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Murphy is the trade du jour. Pacers fans always have to have at least one person that they want to trade for pennys on the dollar. With Tinsley and JO playing better, the focus has shifted to Murphy despite that he's been playing better lately.
I've been begging for a Murphy trade since the moment we acquired him.

McKeyFan
12-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I've been begging for a Murphy trade since the moment we acquired him.

I've been begging for a Tinsley trade since two months from the moment we acquired him.

wintermute
12-27-2007, 10:32 PM

shawne and ike both could be playing murphy's minutes. now murph has his good points (like when his shot is on) but honestly how is he part of the team's future other than as an expensive backup?

as to sims - i don't understand why we keep signing him, but it's certainly not to play him. he hasn't seen minutes since the first few games. our backcourt is thin too (hence tin man's close to 40 mpg stretch). actually, the only thing we have an abundance of are forwards.

now maybe murph for hughes is not a good trade for other reasons, but i'd still look to swap murph for another guard.

like anthem, i haven't liked murph since we acquired him. he's playing well right now, but he still gives up a lot on defense.

add to that his contract which would seriously impede our ability to re-sign our good young players - unless you would prefer keeping murphy over david, danny, ike, or shawne.

also, see the comment above about building for the future.

Robertmto
12-28-2007, 05:40 AM
Because this is NBA Live? If the Cavs are holding a fire sale for Hughes and all they really ask for is some smaller, filler contracts and maybe a late pick then the Wiz have to jump on this, right?

He's on IR. I thought according to the CBA this makes him nontradeable. But as far as ur question goes, yea i want him as long as we give them Antonio Daniels and cash considerations. lol

rexnom
12-28-2007, 05:43 AM
He's on IR. I thought according to the CBA this makes him nontradeable. But as far as ur question goes, yea i want him as long as we give them Antonio Daniels and cash considerations. lol
Hmm. I thought they got rid of the IR. There's just an inactive list now, right? Whatever, it's moot. Hehe. Fact remains, I don't think the Wiz would mind Hughes back. And they're one of the few teams that like him even that much.