PDA

View Full Version : Pacers win 93-85 Because of their defense?

Trader Joe
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Go figure. :confused:

Doddage
12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Things could have been bad if Caron played

Trader Joe
12-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Also I hope I never have to read any of that Jamaal Tinsley is a shoot first PG gibberish ever again.

Trader Joe
12-22-2007, 09:33 PM
JO really seems to like Obie.

dgranger
12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Danny and Kareem the dream...boom baby!

aceace
12-22-2007, 09:36 PM
We missed a ton of wide open shots, mostly 3's. We could have won by 20+ if those fall. I think we may need to trade for a shooter before the Feb trade deadline. If you noticed in Bens video Foster not only took out the idiot but also a security guy when he tripped him.

NuffSaid
12-22-2007, 09:44 PM
We missed a ton of wide open shots, mostly 3's. We could have won by 20+ if those fall. I think we may need to trade for a shooter before the Feb trade deadline.
WRONG! This team needs a "lock-down, 1-on-1, on the ball, perimeter defender". I was going to ask the following question in another thread, but I'll ask it here (first):

Should the Pacers trade w/NJ to re-acquire Armstrong? At this point, I'd give up Deiner for Armstrong in a 1-for-1 trade.

Young
12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
We missed a ton of wide open shots, mostly 3's. We could have won by 20+ if those fall. I think we may need to trade for a shooter before the Feb trade deadline.

I have felt the same way but really who are we going to trade and for who?

You can't deal Tinsley. Sure we could have a better shooting point guard but Tinsley does nice things for us and you just can't deal him right now. Even if you wanted to he is more valueable to us then to other teams.

I don't think you can justify dealing Mike. He has played pretty well. Why deal Danny, so young and shown nice signs of life. Same with Shawne.

I guess you can deal Marquis but you will need to get a combo guard in return.

CableKC
12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I don't think that the win was due to defense....I think that it's cuz the only real scorer on the Wizards was Jamison.

It's hard to overlook that 2 of their top 3 players are out. We came out flat in the beginning of the 3rd QTR and wildly fluctuated between keeping a decent lead to 1-3 point leads.

We came out in the end...but this was a sloppy win.

McKeyFan
12-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't think that the win was due to defense....I think that it's cuz the only real scorer on the Wizards was Jamison.

It's hard to overlook that 2 of their top 3 players are out. We came out flat in the beginning of the 3rd QTR and wildly fluctuated between keeping a decent lead to 1-3 point leads.

We came out in the end...but this was a sloppy win.

Yes, yes, and yes.

But we played a poor, injured team last night as well.

I'll take the win.

LoneGranger33
12-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I think we need to make a 2 for 1 trade sometime. We have too much talent wasted on the bench.

Oneal07
12-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Washington sucks, that why we won. They are over-rated. Gilbert Arenas said they are one of the best teams in the East. LOL, but yet they finish with a close to .500 record. I don't see them making any noise this year, even when Gilbert comes back!!!

We should have been 4-0 this week, Thanks Minnesota

Reckoner
12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
WRONG! This team needs a "lock-down, 1-on-1, on the ball, perimeter defender".

I can think of 2 guys who would be pretty good for that :o

sportsmusicxboxpacer
12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
bring back ron artest hell no

kester99
12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
That's two games in a row that JT and JO have gone a combined 6 for 21 from the field...28.5%....way below their usual averages.

Anthem
12-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I think we need to make a 2 for 1 trade sometime. We have too much talent wasted on the bench.
I've been saying that for 5 years.

stew
12-22-2007, 11:21 PM

we cant have too talent with the way we play, but I would like see us upgrade our starting 5, particularly our pf and sg then maybe move granger to the bench

just my opinion,

Unclebuck
12-22-2007, 11:52 PM
What I saw tonight was a pacers team that looked physically and mentally exhausted. Looked like they were looking forward to the Christmas break. They just finished an 8 games in 12 days stretch, thats a lot of game in 12 days.

That is all I took away from this game tonight

jeffg-body
12-23-2007, 01:38 AM
There's a lot ton of ifs ands and buts going around. We did what we were supposed to do. Our D gave them fits. Add the fast that we were ready for a break from this brutal schedule. Fatigue is a terrible factor.

CableKC
12-23-2007, 02:32 AM
What I saw tonight was a pacers team that looked physically and mentally exhausted. Looked like they were looking forward to the Christmas break. They just finished an 8 games in 12 days stretch, thats a lot of game in 12 days.

Given the way this offense runs and what JO'B expects on the defensive end.....fatigue is going to be a huge factor for us down the road. This isn't going to be the last "8 games in 12 days" schedule that we are going to have this season.

I really hope that we start utilizing the depth that we have and start using players like Owens and Deiner more much like the way that JO'B has been using Rush as of late.

The race to the Playoffs is a marathon...not a sprint. If we have depth.....and decent to solid depth to boot....we should use it. To me...if it means cutting back on minutes on players like JONeal, Tinsley, Marquis and Foster and giving more minutes to Owens, Harrison, Shawne and Rush.....then we should do it.

rexnom
12-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Our guys have played really well of late...they deserve this upcoming break.

Robertmto
12-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Washington sucks, that why we won. They are over-rated. Gilbert Arenas said they are one of the best teams in the East. LOL, but yet they finish with a close to .500 record. I don't see them making any noise this year, even when Gilbert comes back!!!

Im guessing ur blind then. Seeing as how we were 4 games over .500 without Gilbert and then we lost Antonio Daniels and now are without Butler. And still lost by a marginal amount

rexnom
12-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Yeah...it doesn't take a lot to be one of the better teams in the East...and the Wiz are definitely there.

Naptown_Seth
12-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Things could have been bad if Caron played
Yeah, I was happy they won, but frankly this reminded me of the UCLA/Michigan game I watched earlier in the day. Washington had nothing past Jamison, no scoring threats or consistant play at all (ie, Michigan). I think they even had a couple of unforced TO's, very sloppy.

And still they lingered with a shot to win until late.

With no Butler, Daniels or Arenas they are a lot like Minnesota and one-trick Al Jeff. In other words, losing to them at home would have been embarrassing IMO. They (Pacers) had a nice run but it's starting to look like a smoke and mirrors W-L record again. I'd like to see them putting teams like this away cleanly, some sign that they are really a notch above this caliber of ball.

As Cable points out, it's not like this was the tough stretch of the schedule. There is a nasty road trip about to hit, other 8 in 12 runs, and 7 in 12 runs are extremely common. Just consider this run of games and the list of the bottom 9 teams in the NBA.
SEA
LAC
PHX
ORL
CLE
CHI
TOR
MIA
NYK
PHI
MIN
WSH

That's 7 of 12 games vs bottom 9 teams, and as mentioned the Wiz banged up like this fall into that range too IMO. Those 9 are only 31% of the possible opponents, meaning that normally you only see teams like that 3-4 times in 12 games, not basically 8 times.

Mourning
12-23-2007, 08:02 AM

Ibidem. Have been right there with you buddy :hug:

Mourning
12-23-2007, 08:09 AM
The race to the Playoffs is a marathon...not a sprint. If we have depth.....and decent to solid depth to boot....we should use it. To me...if it means cutting back on minutes on players like JONeal, Tinsley, Marquis and Foster and giving more minutes to Owens, Harrison, Shawne and Rush.....then we should do it.

I 100% support this point KC makes here. I am very, very happy with especially Jamaals play, but he's making too much minutes at this point in the season IMO.

It was justifiable earlier because you want your core players to play as much together as possible to learn the new system, get comfortable with it and get the basics in order.

Now is the time to perfection the system and learn the details, cut back the minutes by a few for the starters and give some of the backups the time and experience needed to function well in this system aswell as make some progress as basketball players.

OTOH you have to be very carefull in which quarters and moments you start cutting back time from your starters. You don't want the cutback in time directly translating to losses, offcourse. Maybe not as easy as it appears.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Unclebuck
12-23-2007, 09:05 AM
I was really concerned about Tinsley's game last night and then aparently he leaves the locker room in a funk.

I don't care that he didn't score, that doesn't concern me at all. But hos defense was in a word horrible last night. Yes he ran the team well and his passing was excellent. I assume he is hurting a little physically - I just hope that is all it is

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071223/SPORTS04/712230421&theme=&template=printart

Tinsley goes scoreless

Tinsley went into Saturday's game having attempted at least 12 shots in eight of nine games.
Tinsley, who has thrived now that he has offensive freedom, attempted a season-low three shots and went scoreless for the first time this season. He had nine assists in 36 minutes.
The Pacers point guard shrugged off his lack of interest in scoring.
"I'm not worried about it; I'll get my shots up," Tinsley said as he quickly walked out of the locker room.
Pacers coach Jim O'Brien didn't have an answer about whether there was any problem or injury with Tinsley. Tinsley missed a game last week with a deep thigh bruise.
"I don't know. You'd have to ask Jamaal," O'Brien said.

BoomBaby33
12-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Yeah, our team didn't look look like they were into it last night. Even Obie mentioned it in the post game press conference, that the guys were talking about plane rides for the holiday break before the game (as opposed to talking about their match ups in the game like they usually do before a game).

Danny's interview with Hagan was blah - blah - blah. He looked completely exhausted and looked really ready for the break.

I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the huge let down against the Wolves the night before. Any other night, I think the Pacers would have blown the Wiz out without Hibachi, Caron, and Antonio playing. So with all that being said, it was a good win.

MagicRat
12-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I was really concerned about Tinsley's game last night and then aparently he leaves the locker room in a funk.

I don't care that he didn't score, that doesn't concern me at all. But hos defense was in a word horrible last night. Yes he ran the team well and his passing was excellent. I assume he is hurting a little physically - I just hope that is all it is

To me it looked like he was stuck in first gear for most of the night. I'm assuming a combination of injury/fatigue. I look for him to have more pep in his step after the break.......

arenn
12-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I was at the game last night. It was a good win. I second the Pacers looking tired part. Neither team looked particularly high energy, except for a few flashes. The Pacers held tough and came through when they needed to when the Wizards made their runs though. I thought there were way too many jump shots jacked up from the perimeter. But I also thought the team was very unselfish and not afraid to make an extra pass to get a better look.

CableKC
12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Unless we get the type of players that we need to help fill some of the needs that we have....then I would much rather keep that depth and use a larger rotation to help give the key players a rest not only throughout the game itself...but throughout the entire season.

I will admit that with Rush slowly making his way into the SG/SF rotation, it does leave open the small possiblility that we may have some redundancy in the rotation with Marquis, Rush, Granger, Dunleavy and Shawne....but given the way that this offense has to run and possible injuries with Marquis...it maybe a good idea to have a deep bench.

Trader Joe
12-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah Tins needs this break more than anyone else.

Oneal07
12-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Im guessing ur blind then. Seeing as how we were 4 games over .500 without Gilbert and then we lost Antonio Daniels and now are without Butler. And still lost by a marginal amount

Washington is a better team without Gilbert, cause all 5 guys on the court play defense, not just 4. And they are over rated, only reason why they were winning now is cause of Caron. I was watching Gilbert play "D" against Toronto one game, the guy is just relaxing, waiting for the ball to get shot up and run down the court, so he can score. Guy is so lazy. . either that or he's too offensive minded

Robertmto
12-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Your a Pacers fan and you are complaining about a team playin no defense?? Ouch

Hicks
12-25-2007, 12:14 PM

This isn't last season.

Oneal07
12-25-2007, 12:28 PM

LOL. Whatever, it's still early in the season, and we've shown how good our defence can be. Watching the Pacers is more enjoyable than watching the Wizards ANY DAY. Travis Diener plays better defence than the Wizards lol!!! I'm just trash talking