PDA

View Full Version : Is my memory fading or is Kravitz being less than truthful

Unclebuck
12-20-2007, 08:44 AM
In Kravitz column today he makes it sound as though he thought the Pacers woudl be a decent team this season, and almost but just miss the payoffs. Perhaps my memory is fading, but didn't Kravitz advocate the Pacers completely tear down and rebuild this team, didn't he suggest that this team was rotten to the core and couldn't be fixed by simply bringing in a new coach.

Maybe i should go back and search his old columns.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/COLUMNISTS01/712200442/1247/SPORTS&template=printart

Kravitz
Pacers entertaining, but will they make the playoffs?
December 20, 2007

It was little less than an hour and a half before Wednesday night's 76ers-Pacers game, and a locker room loiterer casually made the following observation.

"It seems like Jim (O'Brien) is getting the most out of you guys,'' the aforementioned loiterer said to Jermaine O'Neal.

The big man laughed.

"You make it sound like we're the junior varsity or something,'' he said.

Then he shook his head.

"We're not as bad as you guys think we are,'' he said.

(Am I the only one thinking billboard? "Pacers: Not as bad as you thought they were.'')
Clearly, they're not as bad as most of the national folks thought they would be. O'Brien's former employer, espn.com, picked the Pacers for 29th in a 30-team league, which is why most folks have chosen to describe Indiana's 14-12 start as "surprising.''

Personally, though, I'm not ready to issue a heartfelt mea culpa, not now, not yet, not for another 40 games or so.

Before the season, I thought they would finish at .500 or a couple of games under .500 and miss the playoffs. And nothing has happened to alter that prediction.

My current view of this Pacers team is best captured in a famous quote from former NFL coach Dennis Green: "They are who we thought they were.''

They are who I thought they were, who I thought they would be: a nice team, an average team, more entertaining than I expected, less defensive-minded than I expected, a hard-working, tough-minded collection of guys who seem to be rallying around one another.

But let's not start computing magic numbers or considering postseason matchups just yet.

At this moment, they're sixth in the Eastern Division, and I'm willing to wager that slow-starting Cleveland, New Jersey and Chicago all will pass the Pacers in the coming months.

They also play 13 of their next 19 games on the road.

All of that said, there's definitely a lot to like about what we've seen so far from a team that was expected to do next to nothing. They've overcome a schedule that featured eight back-to-backs and 15 games against teams with winning records. They've also been one of the few NBA teams to produce a winning record on the road, which makes sense when you understand they actually like playing in front of a large number of people.

Before the game, O'Brien said, "To be honest, I'm disappointed that we're 13-12.'' The assumption is, he's not completely overjoyed at being 14-12 after a 102-85 victory over the 76ers at half-empty (half-filled?) Conseco Fieldhouse on Wednesday night. Clearly, though, it's a nice start.

O'Brien's offensive philosophy has produced a far more entertaining style of basketball. Coming into Wednesday's game, the Pacers were sixth in the league in scoring. And a lot of players have flourished with their newfound freedom.

The most dramatic example is Jamaal Tinsley, who didn't play Wednesday night because of a thigh injury. He's been an All-Star-caliber point guard, doing all the things we've waited years and years to see.

Mike Dunleavy, who has carried the bust tag with him most of his career, has become a game-changer, looking perfectly comfortable in the flow of this new offense.

O'Neal has come around in recent weeks, quieting most of the insipid suggestions this team is somehow better off without him.

And Wednesday night, it was all about Marquis Daniels, whose slithery, unorthodox game has been unleashed in O'Brien's system. If he can stay healthy, and that's been an issue since his arrival, he can help keep his team on the right side of .500.

(Just one request, and maybe I'm alone on this one: Can we cease and desist with this "Quizy for threezy!'' stuff when Daniels hits a 3-point shot?)

The best part of this performance, and the rarest, was what the Pacers accomplished on the defensive end. This is no small matter for a team ranked fourth from the bottom in points allowed. By the Pacers' calculations, the team had 43 deflections, and limited Philadelphia to 35 percent shooting from the field.

They looked -- oh, what's the word, it's been so long? -- yes, inspired. Last time we saw inspired, Reggie Miller was leading the post-apocalyptic, post-Brawl Pacers to the playoffs.
O'Brien, who before the season distributed a bunch of clips from writers dismissing them as also-rans, has the Pacers believing in themselves.

"You have to tell your guys what the world thinks of them,'' O'Brien said. "And they really worked hard from the first day. I don't think everybody knew how disappointed the group that finished the year was in the way they finished. They didn't need any motivational speeches from me.''

If motivation is required, here it is: I still believe they will finish in the area of .500. I still believe they will miss the playoffs. Cut and paste. And we'll talk again in April.

Vince Neil
12-20-2007, 08:51 AM
(Just one request, and maybe I'm alone on this one: Can we cease and desist with this "Quizy for threezy!'' stuff when Daniels hits a 3-point shot?)

What is he talking about here? The PA announcer say this after Daniels hits a three?

aero
12-20-2007, 08:55 AM
What is he talking about here? The PA announcer say this after Daniels hits a three?

yes, and it sounds ridiculously stupid

Unclebuck
12-20-2007, 09:10 AM

It does sound stupid, but it is kinda of funny

Putnam
12-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I dunno what Kravitz thinks or if he's flip-flopping. But I agree with what he's saying now.

Before the season, I thought they would finish at .500 or a couple of games under .500 and miss the playoffs. And nothing has happened to alter that prediction.

Right now the Pacers are 14-12 (.538). What that means is that the Pacers will finish no worse than 14-68.
They've got 14 games in the win column, but that's not very many in an 82-game season.

If they kep winning and improving, they'll be alright. It is pretty evident that the team is moving in the right direction.

But let's be realistic. The playoffs are at the end of the season -- not a third of the way through.

MagicRat
12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
You can call him up and ask him when his radio show starts in January.....

Unclebuck
12-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if he'll be good on that show or not.

I heard this morning that the Dan Patrick show is coming back to 950 AM at 9:00 - noon.

owl
12-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I believe you are correct UB. As far as the Pacers making the playoffs, barring injury this
team will no doubt make the playoffs,imho. The desire, teamwork and coaching are all in place. Bob should probably start writing the column now on how he was wrong. :-)

Dr. Goldfoot
12-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I've heard about the "Qeezy for Threezy" but last night's game was the first time I heard Reb Porter sound like a complete idiot. It made me cringe even when Denari calls him "Qeezy". That ****'s retarded.

Hicks
12-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I file it under "so corny/bad it's funny". I like it for that reason.

McKeyFan
12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
What has Quis percentage been since the announcer started "Quisy for threesy?"

It's been high, I think. Like 50 percent.

I think the announcer should say he will continue to say it as long as Quis stays 40 percent or above (from the time he started the moniker).

DisplacedKnick
12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Kravitz had an article before the season where he thought the Pacers were headed for long-term mediocrity - never good enough to win much, never bad enough to get a really good draft pick. He thought tearing the house down and starting from scratch would be the better alternative. Don't remember the specifics all that well.

At least I think that was Kravitz.

Putnam
12-20-2007, 11:14 AM
As far as I'm concerned, "Queezy for Threezie" is no different than "Boom Baby." Let Reb Porter have his fun.

odeez
12-20-2007, 11:29 AM
He is right about the "Quizy for threezy!'', it must stop. It sounds horrible. I was like what he (PA) just say?!?!?! Please stop it?!?!

As far as Kravitz article goes, who cares. He will come around writing praising articles about the Pacers if they continue to win, everyone will. They love ya win you win and hate on you when you lose. Nothing new here.

odeez
12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
As far as I'm concerned, "Queezy for Threezie" is no different than "Boom Baby." Let Reb Porter have his fun.

No it is different. "BOOM BABY" at least sounds a little cool. "Queezy for Threezie", well sounds cheezy! At least we won't hear it often, since QUIS is not a very good three point shooter, but last night he was on fire!

McKeyFan
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
At least we won't here it often, since QUIS is not a very good three point shooter,

Actually, I'm hoping the announcer inspires him to great shooting.

If that happens, I'll put up with cheesy. ;)

odeez
12-20-2007, 11:51 AM

Your right, I could live with it if QUIS become a 40+% three point shooter.;)

JayRedd
12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I love old people embarrassing themselves so I'm all for "Quisy for Threesy"...And for the record, "Boom Baby" is equally retarded.

odeez
12-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Can some start a poll for which is more cheezy: "Quisy for Threesy" or "BOOM BABY"?

aero
12-20-2007, 12:18 PM

uhh...there's a HUGE difference. "Boom Baby!" doesn't even come close to being as corney/stupid as "queezy for threezie"

BoomBaby33
12-20-2007, 12:43 PM

It is still unique though.

What I cant stand is half the announcers in the NBA, when a home team player scores, they linger the announced play for at least 7-8-9-10 seconds after the ball has gone through the hoop. By that time there is about 16-17 seconds left on our shot clock, and it is VERY annoying. I specifically counted this in the Miami game. Every Miami score this was the case. It was even worse with a 3 pointer, and then they would say "from DWade" or JWill. Very annoying.

I personally like Reb Porter. He calls the play out very quickly, even for us. Thats part of the reason why Troy got that 3 pointer against Dallas, cause he called it out so quickly.

The other side of the "quisy for threezy" discussion, is maybe the PR team has asked him to do this to try give our players some personality with the fans, thus sell more tickets. Im not a PR / marketing guy, but I would think this might help bring the fans closer to the players.

Hey, its working already, we are talking about it.

BoomBaby33
12-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I love old people embarrassing themselves so I'm all for "Quisy for Threesy"...And for the record, "Boom Baby" is equally retarded.

Hey wait a minute. I never said anything bad about you Jay.

BoomBaby31 may be retarted, but not me. :D

Just kidding BB31 and Jay.

BoomBaby33
12-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Can some start a poll for which is more cheezy: "Quisy for Threesy" or "BOOM BABY"?

To be fair, you need to add in there: "Home Run"

BoomBaby33
12-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Exactly!

Putnam
12-20-2007, 12:51 PM

Nah, we don't need a poll. Mal, JayRedd, BoomBaby33 and I (and I think, UncleBuck) all agree that it is cheezy. But we're saying let Reb do it anyway.

Vince Neil
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Nah, we don't need a poll. Mal, JayRedd, BoomBaby33 and I (and I think, UncleBuck) all agree that it is cheezy. But we're saying let Reb do it anyway.

Are you guys the board of directors for PD?

Kegboy
12-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Wha-huh?!

{scurries off to google this}

Oh, **** me. I joked a couple months ago it'd end up being him. Geez, thank god for XM.

kester99
12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
What has Quis percentage been since the announcer started "Quisy for threesy?"

It's been high, I think. Like 50 percent.

I think the announcer should say he will continue to say it as long as Quis stays 40 percent or above (from the time he started the moniker).

Isn't that a disincintive?

McKeyFan
12-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Isn't that a disincintive?

Check his percentage before and after and I think you'll find the contrary.

grace
12-20-2007, 02:32 PM

I never thought there would be anyone on radio that would make Dan Patrick's show sound attractive.

I'll put his as succinctly as I can:

THERE IS NO F-ING WAY I WILL EVER LISTEN TO THAT MAN'S SHOW!!!

I don't care who he has on the show.

They fired Kevin Lee for this? :shakehead

Hicks
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Are you guys the board of directors for PD?

One of them is.

Isaac
12-20-2007, 04:21 PM
So you guys think Queezy for threesy is cheesy? For reezy? :lol:

Roaming Gnome
12-20-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll go out on that narrow limb and say that I like, "Quisy for threesy!!!"

I know the first time I heard it at the game, I nearly couldn't stop laughing. I'm sure if enough people are annoyed, they will put a stop to it, just like the DJ.

Lighten up, folks...they are just trying to have fun with it.

As for Kravitz... eh, I'm not suprised. :neutral:

aceace
12-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Can some start a poll for which is more cheezy: "Quisy for Threesy" or "BOOM BABY"?Maybe it could be the poll in the next game thread. I like those polls gives you an idea of what others are thinking.

Now for comments on the Krapitz article..... :censored:

MagicRat
12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/tinsley_quisy_threesy.wma