Dunleavy 7, 5-2
Granger 7, 4-3
Tinsley 3, 2-1
Murphy 3, 1-2
Daniels 3, 1-2
O'Neal 2, 0-2
Williams 1, 0-1
Rush 1, 1-0

36 - by Dun Dun against the Knicks - is the team high in points.
16 - by Granger against the Clippers - is the lowest high in points this year.

Oh, here's another stat of interest - When Tinsley does not lead the team in assists, the team is 1-3 (that win was tonight).

Eight different players have led this team in scoring. My question is simple - Is this a good thing? What, if anything, do these numbers tell us?

edc
12-20-2007, 02:51 AM
I think its a good thing.......We are unpredictable.....

But Dunleavy is the consistent scorer.....whether the top scorer or the 2nd top scorer of the game....

aceace
12-20-2007, 02:51 AM
I'm willing to bet if JO stays healthy he will be our leading scorer by seasons end. He looks better each game offensively.

RamBo_Lamar
12-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Interesting stats and analysis. Thanks for posting.

I think it is a very good thing that on any given night the opponents could
get torched by someone unexpected.

And once Ike Diogu gets back into the mix, there is yet another offensive
threat to have to contend with.

I like this team, what they've been doing, and the direction they are headed.

"We don't need no stinkin No. 1 option!" ;)

andreialta
12-20-2007, 03:37 AM
we are just a very balanced offensive team, thanks to JOB's system and Tinsley's playmaking.

Dunleavy and Granger had been the most consistent by far and Tins and JO are catching up.. their numbers really arent that far from each other. i really like a team that is balance. no true superstar, but 5 players who play together!

Putnam
12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Any opponent can take away some of our offensive options. But no opponent can take away all our offensive options. Playing without a clear #1 offensive option is a good thing.

Lonegranger, this is good stuff. Thanks for putting it together. I would only add that playing time figures into this. The guys with the most minutes are also tops in your list. So the Pacers' offense is even more balanced than appears here. Great!

Putnam
12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm willing to bet if JO stays healthy he will be our leading scorer by seasons end. He looks better each game offensively.

He already is the leading scorer on a per-minute basis.

.528 O'Neal
.525 Dunleavy
.503 Daniels
.479 Granger
.450 Williams
.419 Tinsley
.410 Murphy

But O'Neal won't stay on the floor long enough to catch up to Dunleavy's total points, I'm thinkin'.

Slick Pinkham
12-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I found it great that JO, Jeff, and Murphy combined for 14 assists last night.

I didn't know that they were capable of something like that. This sharing the ball, going to the open/hot guy, making the extra pass philosophy is something I am enjoying. I hope that it extends beyond the typical "new coach honeymoon" and lasts.

Evan_The_Dude
12-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Like O'Brien says, with all the technology with film in the game today it's easy for a team to become predictable. I think it's easy to say that the only thing teams will know when they play us is that we like to run and play good defense.

Pacerized
12-20-2007, 09:38 AM

I agree, I just thought he'd get back to form a lot sooner. It's been a long drawn out process for him. The biggest sign that I see from J.O. getting back to form is that fact that his shot blocking is picking up. He won't average what he did last year, but I think he'll lead the team in scoring and rebounding again this season. It seems like we've had a lot of years where Foster lead the team in rebounding, but had his minutes cut as the season progressed and J.O. would edge him out.

jeffg-body
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I think the numbers tell us we have multiple scorers in the starting line-up and on our 2nd wave coming from the bench. I just really like the way we can wear a team down and they're gassed by the fourth quarter. The constant pressure of the ball coming upcourt is awesome. The only issue to me right now is closing games out. That seems to be a youth/inexperience issue.

ABADays
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Actually I think it's a very good thing.

Roy Munson
12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

The balanced scoring (or better yet, the perimeter scoring) is a very good thing, but if JO returns to form to the point where he once again considers himself "the man", then the team will suffer. He's perfect as the No. 2 or No. 3 man on offense.

I hope MikeD and Granger continue to carry the bulk of the scoring load, and JO continues to provide rebounding and inside defense. That's the best scenario for the Pacers.

tdubb03
12-20-2007, 01:46 PM
The balanced scoring is nice and all, but it scares me that there's really no one on the team you feel is going to hit a must-have type of bucket.

Maybe Kareem Rush (half-joking).

McKeyFan
12-20-2007, 01:48 PM
The balanced scoring (or better yet, the perimeter scoring) is a very good thing, but if JO returns to form to the point where he once again considers himself "the man", then the team will suffer. He's perfect as the No. 2 or No. 3 man on offense.

I hope MikeD and Granger continue to carry the bulk of the scoring load, and JO continues to provide rebounding and inside defense. That's the best scenario for the Pacers.

Agreed. The following leading scorers, in order, is what I'd like to see at season's end (and it's realistic, IMO):

Dunleavy
JO
Granger
Ike
Quis
Tinsley

I don't think JO below the number two is realistic this year. Just don't.

Trader Joe
12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
I think we'll see JO lead the team in scoring. It could be a bad thing if his shooting percentages dip again, but if he can keep them up around where they've been since he returned then we'll be fine.

I'd say it will end up looking something like this...

JO 18 PPG
Dun 16 PPG
Danny 16 PPG
Tins 14 PPG
Quis 12 PPG
Ike 10 PPG
If our top 6 scorers can do that it would put us right around 86 PPG from that group. Which means we would have to come up with around 18-20 PPG from Foster, Rush, Williams, Troy in order to keep our current scoring average.

Wow, this team has a lot of ways to put the ball in the basket when they are healthy don't they?

Hicks
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
The balanced scoring is nice and all, but it scares me that there's really no one on the team you feel is going to hit a must-have type of bucket.

Maybe Kareem Rush (half-joking).

Exactly. I love the balanced attack, but I just don't see a guy on this team I feel confident about taking a "must have" shot in a close playoff game.

I was going to give some credit to JO and Tinsley, but even with them they both don't have a PLAYOFF game winner. I'd expect either to miss before I'd expect them to make. That doesn't mean they can't, but the expectation just isn't there. Maybe this is the year at least 1 of our guys becomes that guy?

Rajah Brown
12-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I certainly like the balanced scoring. And it seems to me that O'B's
system works best when the SG and SF are the leading scorers
or at least primary options.

Naptown_Seth
12-21-2007, 02:14 AM
I agree.

They might still have a "who gets the final shot" issue, but the overall grinder/scorer looks to still be JO, at least if he's healthy. Granger's regression is troubling. Right now it feels like JO-Dun-Tins with a dash of Quis and then a bunch of wild cards, Danny included.

McKeyFan
12-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Exactly. I love the balanced attack, but I just don't see a guy on this team I feel confident about taking a "must have" shot in a close playoff game.

Tinsley is probably our best bet for now.

I do think he has icy veins. He's just so damn unpredictable, but i guess that's appropriate for a currently unpredictable team.

Hicks
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I would give the ball to JT as well, though I still wouldn't expect him to hit it (though granted, it wouldn't shock me either).

Naptown_Seth
12-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I would give the ball to JT as well, though I still wouldn't expect him to hit it (though granted, it wouldn't shock me either).
Especially if it's a layup.

And NONE MFer...DOH! Really I think Dun on a curl is the team's best late bet right now. Also wouldn't it be nice to see a late shot coming from Quis in the lane. At least as long as he doesn't get fouled instead.

Bball
12-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I'd rather have the ball in JT's hands with the seconds clicking down and the team in need of a basket than JO. JO should be told if he wants to hit the game-winner then he's going to have to rebound someone else's miss and get it back up before the clock expires.

Tinsley makes me nervous, but JO will be owned in those crunch time situations because of his decision-making and predictability (which makes him easy to defend when the refs have swallowed their whistles and allow things to be even more physical than normal).

-Bball