PDA

View Full Version : Do you smoke weed?

Hicks
05-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Consider this an anonymous survey. Since Kstat brought it up and claims 90% of us do, I want to know what % of us smokes weed. Please be honest since you don't have to tell us by posting.

Hicks
05-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Already at least 3 people have clicked on this link and not voted. :unimpressed:

sweabs
05-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Never have - never will.

And I LIVE IN CANADA! :laugh:.

Hicks
05-31-2004, 10:08 PM
Why are people not voting? No one knows who you are, and it's a pretty easy question to answer, you either have or you haven't (or do or do not).

Maybe people will feel better if more people say what they voted: No, I haven't and do not plan to.

BostonConnection
05-31-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm assuming that Hicks put up this poll in response to the question I posed to Kstat about his "90%" claim in the "Question for Kstat" thread.

Let me make something clear. I didn't bring this up from a standpoint of moral indignation against people who smoke marijuana, nor am I naively claiming that no one on this forum smokes it. I just was curious about this very specific and high percentage that was quoted. I wouldn't even have bothered to ask if the statement was "and I bet some of you in this forum have tried/currently smoke weed too".

And no, I've never smoked it or plan to smoke it either... :D

Shade
05-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Nope. And I have no desire to. :shrug:

Of couse, I'm not a smoker nor much of a drinker either.

Unclebuck
05-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Never have, and never will. I have never done any drugs of any kind. Yes I have taken cold and cough medicine, and stuff for headaches, but even in those situations, I am very carefull.

I steadfastly refused to ever do any drugs.

Did drink a little in my early 20's, maybe got really drunk 3 or 4 times in my life. Never drink in High school.

Hicks
05-31-2004, 11:09 PM
With 14 votes, 92% of the board does NOT smoke weed so far.

arkman40
05-31-2004, 11:17 PM
I have never done any drugs of any kind.
I steadfastly refused to ever do any drugs.
Did drink a little in my early 20's, maybe got really drunk 3 or 4 times in my life. Never drink in High school.

If you drank alchohol, you did drugs. Although I understand you probably meant illegal drugs. However, that alcohol happens to be legal to use makes it no less of a drug.

Meanwhile, Hicks, how should a person answer the poll if they used to smoke weed but haven't in years and don't plan to ever again?

Hicks
05-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Meanwhile, Hicks, how should a person answer the poll if they used to smoke weed but haven't in years and don't plan to ever again?

I think that'd qualify as a no in this case, since I'm really just looking to see how many of us are weed smokers right now.

Unclebuck
05-31-2004, 11:39 PM
If you drank alchohol, you did drugs. Although I understand you probably meant illegal drugs. However, that alcohol happens to be legal to use makes it no less of a drug.

Good point

Will Galen
05-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Never have - never will.

Your words are mine!

Hicks
05-31-2004, 11:54 PM
23 votes, 91% say no.

ROCislandWarrior
05-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Yes, but I have been clean for 3 weeks now.

People are misinformed about Marijuana and the effects. The truth is, Marijuana is ALOT safer than one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in america, antibiotics. Unfortunatly I know this from first hand experience.

so I don't want to hear any talk of, "oh marijuana is so harmful".

For Those Who Don't Smoke

Smoking raises the senses and creativity of the mind. For those of you who have never smoked it, the best way I can describe it is you feel like your in heaven.

A Pacer Game When High

I used to love to smoke and then watch a Pacer game, it is the most amazing experience. Basically, since your senses are so keen the Players look like they are standing right infront of you and the crowd sounds so real. Every little cut and pick...every bounce of the ball is just so amazing.

It is really undescribable.

Now don't get the stereotypical pothead image in your head. I know alot of people who smoke the sticky icky and they all look like standup young men and women. They look just like the typical good kid...and they are good kids who will grow up to be fine adults, Marijuana doesn't change a person (only in extreme cases).

So who else? I know I am not the only one.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 12:05 AM
The fact is - it's illegal so that's a good enough reason for me not to do it...(although in Canada the whole situation is a mess right now...dang Liberals).

ROCislandWarrior
06-01-2004, 12:08 AM
The fact is - it's illegal so that's a good enough reason for me not to do it...(although in Canada the whole situation is a mess right now...dang Liberals).

So you don't do anything illegal?

Hicks
06-01-2004, 12:09 AM
ROC, I don't see why you're defending it in the first place in this thread; no one attacked the use of it, nor those that do. Are you just sensitive because you use it?

sweabs
06-01-2004, 12:12 AM

Ugh...I'm not going to lie - you got me.
I don't know - from a young, young age I was brought up to believe that drugs were HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE things and it really just stuck with me. I have honestly never inhaled anything like a cigarette, cigar, marijuana under my own will (but then there is second hand smoke).

I have also seen some of my friends high - and they just striked me to be stupid so I didn't want to do it for that reason, and I didn't want to let down my parents for sure.

Hicks
06-01-2004, 12:13 AM

I don't know - from a young, young age I was brought up to believe that drugs were HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE things and it really just stuck with me. I have honestly never inhaled anything like a cigarette, cigar, marijuana under my own will (but then there is second hand smoke).

I have also seen some of my friends high - and they just striked me to be stupid so I didn't want to do it for that reason, and I didn't want to let down my parents for sure.

That's basically my story as well.

Pig Nash
06-01-2004, 12:13 AM

Third'd Ow my bandwagon

ROCislandWarrior
06-01-2004, 12:15 AM
ROC, I don't see why you're defending it in the first place in this thread; no one attacked the use of it, nor those that do. Are you just sensitive because you use it?

Sorry, now that I read it...

I had a bad day today and my mother just came home from the hospital yesterday so I am on edge right now. I think this is a sign that I need some sleep...or I need to smoke a bowl :D

...sleep ;)

arkman40
06-01-2004, 12:16 AM
I don't know - from a young, young age I was brought up to believe that drugs were HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE things and it really just stuck with me.

Just curious if you feel the same way about alcohol.

Hicks
06-01-2004, 12:18 AM
I don't know - from a young, young age I was brought up to believe that drugs were HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE things and it really just stuck with me.

Any reason you're trying to drive home the fact that alcohol is a drug? I know it is, do you think most people don't know? Just asking.

Speaking for myself, growing up the message was basically drinking and smoking was bad, doing other drugs was worse.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 12:19 AM

I knew someone would ask me that.

But when I saw my parents drinking alcohol, it just never occurred to me that it was a "drug" also. I guess they really preached against illegal drugs and such - but obviously alcohol is no better.

ROCislandWarrior
06-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Here is a question I have for everyone parents and non-parents. If you don't have kids, pretend you do.

What would you do if you found your child smoking weed?

obnoxiousmodesty
06-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Why, let's look at some actual statistics! What an idea. :unimpressed:

http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v124/obnoxiousmodesty/marijuana_stats.gif

Obviously Kstat was wrong, and this PD survey is as well. I hope we can let this go now.

Artestaholic
06-01-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't smoke weed but I do smoke crack and shoot heroin but not everyday.

Ultimate Frisbee
Smoke weed = ever smoked weed or has smoked weed more than twice???

Stryder
Here is a question I have for everyone parents and non-parents. If you don't have kids, pretend you do.

Talk to the child.

Educate the child.

Show the child research on the topic.

If you have smoked previously, share first hand knowledge (both negative and positive).

Instill in them that you do not want them to partake in it.

But they can do as they choose once they are an adult.

Hicks

Because of how I was raised, and my belief that it's definitely not a necessary thing (and if it's illegal, that's enough in and of itself), I'd make them stop as best I could.

I'd prefer my children to not do any drugs (besides obviously medical drugs).

I mean, if they become social drinkers as adults, that's fine. But beyond that I'd be against it, if anything because of their health. I'd want my kids as healthy as they possibly can be. Right now I extend that to my nieces, and later will to any kids I may have.

Hicks
06-01-2004, 12:31 AM

I want to know who's smoking it now and plans to again.

Artestaholic
06-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Ok I just voted and it said 2 for "yes", I refresh the page 30 seconds later and it says 3...obnoxiousmodesty...shame on you!

Hicks
06-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Obviously Kstat was wrong, and this PD survey is as well. I hope we can let this go now.

I don't see anything wrong with my survey; I'm just asking who here does it. I didn't ask what % nationally do it. Just this forum. Purely based on curiousity.

Stryder
06-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Ok I just voted and it said 2 for "yes", I refresh the page 30 seconds later and it says 3...obnoxiousmodesty...shame on you!

It was me. :D

I see nothing wrong with partaking in marijuana.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 12:34 AM

ok cool, then i voted the correct way!

arkman40
06-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Any reason you're trying to drive home the fact that alcohol is a drug? I know it is, do you think most people don't know? Just asking.

Speaking for myself, growing up the message was basically drinking and smoking was bad, doing other drugs was worse

I'm sure that most people know that alcohol is techncially a drug, however many people won't identify a person who uses alcohol as a "drug user". Most people simply don't stop to really think about it, it's just ingrained.

So when I see people say that they are taught or believe that "drugs" are really bad, I am always curious if that includes alcohol.

For example, Hicks, you say that growing up the message was basically drinking was bad, doing other drugs was worse, when in fact using alcohol is at least as bad as smoking weed, and as in many ways worse. Alcohol use is a major, major health and public safety problem. Yet it carries very little if any stigma and is quite socially acceptable (i.e. beer ads everywhere, etc).

Shade
06-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Looks like it's 90% that DON'T smoke weed.

ROCislandWarrior
06-01-2004, 01:01 AM

You guys are making me feel like a naughty boy. Shame on me!!!

:blush:

Hicks
06-01-2004, 01:37 AM

You guys are making me feel like a naughty boy. Shame on me!!!

:blush:

We are clean and you are impure. :devil:

;)

Anthem
06-01-2004, 02:20 AM
People are misinformed about Marijuana and the effects. The truth is, Marijuana is ALOT safer than one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in america, antibiotics. Unfortunatly I know this from first hand experience.

Most people don't take antibiotics regularly or as a recreational activity. :devil:

Now don't get the stereotypical pothead image in your head. I know alot of people who smoke the sticky icky and they all look like standup young men and women.

Pot screws with your brain, man. There's no discounting this... there's a reason that the "sterotypical pothead image" exists! And it ain't bad sitcoms. A good friend of mine was a clean-looking "standup young man" when he started weed. A year later he was telling me how much safer pot is than nicotene. Three years later, and he is the stereotype. The kid was freaking brilliant, and now he's a stoner. Such a stupid waste.

------

By the way, this isn't to say that tobacco is safe. Everybody knows about tar, nicotene, etc. But the two worst things don't even make the surgeon general's warning:
- Continually breathing in superheated air will eventually kill off the cilia in your upper lungs. You need them to move mucus around... without them, mucus builds up in lung sacs and you lose lots of capacity.
- The really bad one. Tobacco is a natural condenser of several radioactive elements, especially thorium. A pack-a-day smoker will put 2 rems (2,000 millirems) a year directly into their lungs. That's some nasty nasty nasty stuff.

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 07:47 AM

You mean like RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT... ? LOL

yeah, I'm all f'd up. WAKE AND BAKE BABY!

indygeezer
06-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Never have-never will.

My 1st wife took it up in her late 20's and eventually aided in our break up and her death.

YES HER DEATH. She was epileptic and on epilepsy medication. Don't mix medication with pot folks, it's lethal.

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 08:34 AM
:EDITED:

BostonConnection
06-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Alright, since I feel somewhat responsible for initiating the whole thing with my question for Kstat in the other thread, let me throw my final 2 cents in on this.

Since Kstat has not made any statements regarding this question, I'm gonna make the assumption that the "90%" claim was just a bit of debate hyperbole, not any kind of a definitive statement. That's cool with me if that's the case. Even if it wasn't, since we can't "prove" the actual percentage of weed use in this forum, not even by Hicks' poll, the question ultimately won't get resolved anyway. I'm ready to move on.

:deadhorse: :shrug: :)

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 11:26 AM
No, I don't. I have been brought up on the belief that smoking anything or drinking is wrong, and I intend to continue that till the day I die (which should be many many years from now)

The funny thing is, I could have had many opportunities to try. One roommate of mine was a pothead, and smoked. And my best friend drinks quite a bit. So the opportunities are there for the taking.

Yet I do not believe that is what I should do. I call myself a clean man...lol.

ChicagoJ
06-01-2004, 11:40 AM

Third'd Ow my bandwagon

Ditto.

I drink beer occasionally. Haven't had anything harder in years. And I can't drink beer fast enough to get 'drunk' - I just get sleepy and bloated.

Unclebuck
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM

They would be in big big trouble. Certainly by that age they will be well aware of my views on this, so I would not be starting from scratch.

I would take drastic steps if needed to stop it.

Slick Pinkham
06-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Never will and never have.

I had "opportunities" in college. I had friends who were potheads. After spending time with them, though, I just got to hate that smell.

I never drank heavily, and the rare occasions I did, I hated the feeling of not being in full control of myself.

I have a bit of a looser attitude on alcohol, though I recognize the problems it can cause. I never drink for the purpose of drinking, but I feel a glass of good wine or a good beer can add to the flavors of a nice meal. I never drink alcohol except for with meals.

ChicagoJ
06-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Oh, and there was a certain aroma coming from the stalls in the men's room behind Section222 last Sunday night.

:unimpressed:

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 12:27 PM

Unclebuck
06-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Arkman, one a couple of difference betwen pot and alcohol.

1) alcohol is legal for those 21 or older.

2) Drinking alcohol in very small amounts does not harm your body. I know people in my family who have a one beer a day, they never get drunk, never do anything because of the beer. Some wine in moderation is said to improve your health.
Smoking pot does not improve your health,nor is it health neutral. yes I am aware of the benefits of smoking weed while having chemo, but that just masks the pain from what I understand

Mourning
06-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Never have - never will.

And I LIVE IN CANADA!

I think I beat you! I love in Holland, and I have never done soft or hard drugs, except if you consider alcohol a hard drug (ok, it is, but the "hooked"-effect of getting addicted isnt nearly as strong as for say Crakc or Heroine). I drink, sometimes a lot and sometimes a little when I go out with friends thats it.

I never have done weed, because it doesnt "fit" in my lifestyle. I love sporting a lot and being in good shape and that stuff would hold me down, besides why would I, I dont need it, so I dont need to.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Suaveness
06-01-2004, 01:21 PM
yes I am aware of the benefits of smoking weed while having chemo, but that just masks the pain from what I understand

That is all it does. All the stuff you hear about it being good for you is crap. It just helps to make the pain ease, but that does not mean that it is healthy for the body.

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 01:50 PM

Mourning
06-01-2004, 02:11 PM
With regards to the health effects of weed and such lighter drugs, there are a lot of conflicting reports. The sort of conclusion usually depends on who ordered the research.

Most will aggree the level of physical addiction is low and quitting isnt that hard, however above a certain amount of blows taken each day it will certainly influence your mental health, people get more psychologically instable, I dont really know how other to describe it, english isnt my native language. Anyway the long lasting effects of weed are pretty much a black hole, we simply dont know for sure, as far as I know. Except that continuous use will very likely effect ones psyche. How much we dont know.

Anyway, I stay away from that *****. I t doesnt fit my lifestyle at all.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ChicagoJ
06-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Oh, and there was a certain aroma coming from the stalls in the men's room behind Section222 last Sunday night.

:unimpressed:

Are you sure it wasn't coming from the bad play out on the court? :whoknows:

:laugh: Well, it was two different aromas, with two different sources.

fwpacerfan
06-01-2004, 02:32 PM

Speaking for myself, growing up the message was basically drinking and smoking was bad, doing other drugs was worse

I'm sure that most people know that alcohol is techncially a drug, however many people won't identify a person who uses alcohol as a "drug user". Most people simply don't stop to really think about it, it's just ingrained.

So when I see people say that they are taught or believe that "drugs" are really bad, I am always curious if that includes alcohol.

For example, Hicks, you say that growing up the message was basically drinking was bad, doing other drugs was worse, when in fact using alcohol is at least as bad as smoking weed, and as in many ways worse. Alcohol use is a major, major health and public safety problem. Yet it carries very little if any stigma and is quite socially acceptable (i.e. beer ads everywhere, etc).

I think most people think that alcohol use is ok, but alcohol abuse is wrong. I personally categorize 'drug' use as using an ILLEGAL substance. People inhale aerosol cans does that mean we should call Spray Paint a "drug"? Is alcohol abuse wrong and harmful? Yes. Is it illegal? No.

I personally think that drug use should be legalized. Number 1 - the law enforcement agencies are ill equipped to stop it's use. Number 2 - making it legal would allow the possibility of keeping better tabs on it's use. If illegal drugs were made legal, the big pharmaceutical companies would then market it and instead of having to go to the local drug dealer you could buy it at WalMart. WalMart would do to drug dealers what they did to 'Mom and Pop' stores all across this country, put them out of Bid-ness!

Of course it's not that simple and it won't happen, but there is a lot of things that could be done with the money this Country is throwing away fighting the drug war, which we are losing.

arkman40
06-01-2004, 02:35 PM

2) Drinking alcohol in very small amounts does not harm your body. I know people in my family who have a one beer a day, they never get drunk, never do anything because of the beer. Some wine in moderation is said to improve your health.
Smoking pot does not improve your health,nor is it health neutral. yes I am aware of the benefits of smoking weed while having chemo, but that just masks the pain from what I understand

The legal thing is currently significant difference, no doubt. However I hope that most realize that weed being illegal while alcohol remains legal is is a difference that is largely political in nature that is independent of any ill effects either have.

And while alcohol in moderation is better for you than smoking weed in moderation, it becomes more dangerous than weed as use goes up. A great many more people are killed or injured as a direct or indirect result of alcohol use.

http://www.ncadd.org/facts/problems.html

As far as the benefits of marijuana for people on chemotherapy, it does far more than simply relieve pain. It also helps patients combat nausea, maintain a healthy appetite, and fight unhealthy weight loss (a condition called cachexia).

fwpacerfan
06-01-2004, 02:36 PM
[quote="PacerMan"]...
The head of the republican party in Fort Wayne, a highly conservative man, and a well known lawyer, is also a daily smoker pothead :) ....[quote]

I had no idea he was a pothead - now things are starting to add up...

arkman40
06-01-2004, 02:46 PM
I think most people think that alcohol use is ok, but alcohol abuse is wrong. I personally categorize 'drug' use as using an ILLEGAL substance. People inhale aerosol cans does that mean we should call Spray Paint a "drug"? Is alcohol abuse wrong and harmful? Yes. Is it illegal? No.

I personally think that drug use should be legalized. Number 1 - the law enforcement agencies are ill equipped to stop it's use. Number 2 - making it legal would allow the possibility of keeping better tabs on it's use. If illegal drugs were made legal, the big pharmaceutical companies would then market it and instead of having to go to the local drug dealer you could buy it at WalMart. WalMart would do to drug dealers what they did to 'Mom and Pop' stores all across this country, put them out of Bid-ness!

Of course it's not that simple and it won't happen, but there is a lot of things that could be done with the money this Country is throwing away fighting the drug war, which we are losing.

Any substance that produces changes in the nervous system, especially that will get you "high", is by definition a drug, regardless of whether or not that is it's primary use.

And the legal differences are a large part of my point here, that the legality of a substance should make zero difference in how it is categorized as a "drug". An objective observer who had no idea what the laws are would very likely not guess that alcohol and pot had drastically different legal statuses.

I agree with you about legalization of currently illegal drugs, at least marijuana. It isn't anyone's business what you do with your own body unless you are hurting someone else, and hurting someone else is already against the law. Sitting in your living room, toking on a joint and watching TV...the gov't has no right to prohibit that IMO, anymore than it should be telling you you can't drink a couple of glasses of wine with dinner in your own home.

fwpacerfan
06-01-2004, 02:47 PM

The legal thing is currently significant difference, no doubt. However I hope that most realize that weed being illegal while alcohol remains legal is is a difference that is largely political in nature that is independent of any ill effects either have.

And while alcohol in moderation is better for you than smoking weed in moderation, it becomes more dangerous than weed as use goes up. A great many more people are killed or injured as a direct or indirect result of alcohol use.

http://www.ncadd.org/facts/problems.html

As far as the benefits for people on chemotherapy, it does far more than simply relieve pain. It also helps patients combat nausea, maintain a healthy appetite, and fight unhealthy weight loss (a condition called cachexia).

Could the fact that a great many more people are injured as a result of alcohol have anything to do with the statistic that 81% of people 12 and over in this country have used alcohol? The more people using it, the more problems you will have.

Ledzepplincolt said:
I can't acually speak for the Roc but I would surmise he responded in that fashion due in part to the never have never will type of responses.

I understand your point, but as a 'never have, never will' person I think you are wrong. My reason for not trying pot or any other drug is because I know I would like it and nothing good will come out of me using it. I don't have a problem with someone smoking pot as long as they don't do it in front of their kids, don't get behind the wheel of a car and don't flaunt the fact they smoke it. Similarly I DO have a problem with people who drink constantly in front of their kids and get behind the wheel of a car after they have been drinking.

arkman40
06-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Could the fact that a great many more people are injured as a result of alcohol have anything to do with the statistic that 81% of people 12 and over in this country have used alcohol? The more people using it, the more problems you will have.

That's surely part of it, however if you corrected the raw numbers for the 35% of people 12 and over in this country have used marijuana, alchohol is still way in the lead. Do some searches on "alcohol-related deaths" and "marijuana-related deaths".

Hoop
06-01-2004, 04:29 PM
My simplified opinion, due to not enough time to respond properly:
Weed Good :dance: Alcohol Bad :sadbanana:

PaceBalls
06-01-2004, 05:40 PM
ganja is alot safer than booze. why is it illegal again? oh ya, to incarcerate black people.

When the prohibition of ganja began in the 30s the only people who even smoked it were mexicans and black people for the most part (and hippies before there were hippies). Another good way to enslave people, and make sure their votes wont count.

The question about what would you do if your kid smoked weed... would you rather have your kid smoke weed or overdose on zanax or some dangerous pill.

I think anyone who tries ganja in the first place has a rebellious nature. So maybe that is something to be more concerned about with your kids rather than the plant itself. If they are gonna try some weed, and once they do they realize it is totally harmless, a kid might think, "oh! well coke and smack and crack and pcp and lsd or whatever must be the alright since the govt is so stupid to illegalize pot in the first place."

If ganja were a controlled substance for adults over 21 there would not be this problem of ganja leading to other dangerous drugs as the normal argument goes.

free up the weed! uh i dont smoke it (often)

indygeezer
06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
ganja is alot safer than booze. why is it illegal again? oh ya, to incarcerate black people.

When the prohibition of ganja began in the 30s the only people who even smoked it were mexicans and black people for the most part (and hippies before there were hippies). Another good way to enslave people, and make sure their votes wont count.

The question about what would you do if your kid smoked weed... would you rather have your kid smoke weed or overdose on zanax or some dangerous pill.

I think anyone who tries ganja in the first place has a rebellious nature. So maybe that is something to be more concerned about with your kids rather than the plant itself. If they are gonna try some weed, and once they do they realize it is totally harmless, a kid might think, "oh! well coke and smack and crack and pcp and lsd or whatever must be the alright since the govt is so stupid to illegalize pot in the first place."

If ganja were a controlled substance for adults over 21 there would not be this problem of ganja leading to other dangerous drugs as the normal argument goes.

free up the weed! uh i dont smoke it (often)

Not dangerous.... see my previous post.

PaceBalls
06-01-2004, 05:52 PM
geezer, I couldn't, wouldn't and dont argue with ya about it, cause obviously it has affected you and those you loved very traumatically.

Respect. Life is hard man.
I just go by what I know from my own experiences.

joro
06-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Never have.

Never will.

Never even smoked tobacco -- watched way too many people (my dad and brother, to name just a couple) cough up a quarter cup of "lung dung" every morning with their coffee and first cigarette. I remember thinking as an 8 year old, "Who in the world would do this ON PURPOSE"?

joro.

SpADeD
06-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes, and love it. :D

Edit: You guy cannot get into the what is healthy for you body, yadda yadda yadda. Alot of things aren't healthy, soda, sugar, coffee.

FireTheCoach
06-01-2004, 10:06 PM
pssstt.....

unclebuck is a c o p

pollardfreek
06-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I have never tried weed or alcohol before, and probably never will. Not that I haven't had opportunities. I could probably name over 20 people I hang out with every day at my high school that smoke weed, and even more that drink. I don't stay away from alcohol and weed from a moral standpoint or anything, I just don't like the taste.

P.S.- The pothead sterotype is very true. I've seen guys who used to be totally normal go to zombies who just stare at stuff all the time and have slurred speech. Drug Free's the way to be! :dance: :pepper:

skyfire
06-02-2004, 01:40 AM
If you abuse any drug you will become more like the stereotype. However there is a fine line between using a drug and abusing a drug. I guess if you use drugs then you need to sortof keep aware of yourself, and your mental state, so you know when you need to step back from it.

geetee
06-02-2004, 05:34 AM
I smoked a lot of weed early in life (I'm a 70's product). I promised my wife I would give it up when our kids were born 15 years ago and I have stayed true to that. I've discussed it openly with them and hope they can use my experience to make good decisions. When they're grown and gone, I may partake again.

I have mixed emotions about its effect. I really enjoyed it, but I could see how some would be content to continue to smoke and lose interest in working for something they want. However, if they live life happy and are kind to others, why should I care.

Roy Munson
06-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I used to when I was younger.

Nothing good ever resulted from my smoking weed. In fact, I can think of several specific BAD things that resulted from it.

I haven't smoked any in 19 years and can't imagine ever doing it again.

Now Beer....that's a very different story.

Gyron
06-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Never have never will....Saw to many people's live messed up by drugs, and yes some of them were specifically because of weed.

Yes I know Acohol can do the same thing, and I do partake in alcohol, but in moderation.

I guess it all depends on how you were raised, when you were raised and in what envoronment you were raised in how you view pot and other drugs.

jfisher
06-02-2004, 03:33 PM
man some of you guys gotta take the pine cone outta your butt!!!......heroin and cocaine are the only things I HAVEN'T done. I'm 42 now with wife/kids/dog-etc, so I don't get to smoke as much as I'd like, but whenever it's free..dot...dot....dot.....anyway, I love the After School Special type mentality of some of you on here......"I knew a guy who was brilliant, but then he smoked pot and now he's a homeless loser....." hee hee hee.....sorry....but that is a good laugh.....just please listen to a cd by the late Bill Hicks.....he crystallizes my thoughts on drug use perfectly......John

sweabs
06-02-2004, 04:36 PM
anyway, I love the After School Special type mentality of some of you on here......"I knew a guy who was brilliant, but then he smoked pot and now he's a homeless loser....."

I don't know if anyone went as far as to say that...but it sounds like from a lot of people's observations it has a diminishing effect on people.

sweabs
06-02-2004, 07:35 PM
anyway, I love the After School Special type mentality of some of you on here......"I knew a guy who was brilliant, but then he smoked pot and now he's a homeless loser....."

I don't know if anyone went as far as to say that...but it sounds like from a lot of people's observations it has a diminishing effect on people.

So what's your excuse? :laugh:

What's my excuse for not doing it? It just doesn't have an appealing effect on me - I just don't want to basically.

MarionDeputy
06-02-2004, 09:40 PM
For any pot smokers who would like to turn themselves in to help boost my monthly stats please private message me. :D

I smoked weed twice in college, I only felt the effect once, but it wasn't worth the trouble or the fear of getting caught to me. I can smell the stuff a mile away, it amazes me how people who smoke regularly will take such risks to enjoy it.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 09:47 PM
For any pot smokers who would like to turn themselves in to help boost my monthly stats please private message me. :D

I was wondering if you were gonna stop by on this thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I used to do it alot when I was young but I got smart and realized it really wasn't a good thing and got bored with it , plus getting in trouble for it iwouldn't be too fun and I can't say I miss it but each to there own I guess.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 10:23 PM
WOW I see alot of clueless people Pot never ruined me but you know what Alcohol did in less than 6 months , alcohol is way , way more addictive than Pot. I think people who get in toruble with the law use pot or alcohol as a excuse , thinking the judge will feel sorry for them.

Sorry I think someday Pot will be legal in the US it's just a matter of time and I tell you what if the goverment regulated it , we could wipe our national debt out in 1 year even on the Bush I love blowning money budget.

Like I said I have done it in years but I don't look or hold it against people , we all have skeltons in the closet some just like to dance around like they are perfect and the most critical people I have found when it comes to critizeing people's chocies are the biggest Hypocrites in the world.

I don't judge people and you know what I have smoked alot a pot in my days , did alot of acid , you name it I probably have done it and my mind is sharp as a tack. I don't wanna get to far off on this rant but I would almost bet more people die from alcohol everyday than Pot.

I havent done in in probably 15 -20 years though and I don't regret trying it , I guess some people who want to abuse it will self destruct on anything that's a drug , I have seen alot of people abuse alcohol in my family over the Years and I think by far it's more vicious , not saying drugs if abused can;t be but I am going by my experince.

The reason they don't wanna legalize it now is about 90% of the Prisons and Jail Population is Drug Offenders and they would have to close too many down and let too many people free if it was Legal , it's all about the money. I have talked with my kids about Pot and told them my decision on why I choose not to do it anymore and that's all I can do , trust me you try to shelter a kids from something it makes it all more tempting for the kid , I know I was like that as a kid , if someone told me not to do something I usually did it . So I think forcing it down your kids throats is the wrong way to educate as most the time you lose there attention .

Trust me god must hate me cause I have 3 girls and 2 are teens , it took me alot too get over them going out on dates , afterall I was a guy once and I know how guys think and trust me you ever have a daughter you always worry more about your daughter than you would a son.

anyways I am just ranting and taking this O.T

Last note I do think it's okay for people who are in severe pain , if anyone missed it Talk Show Host Montell Williams admits he smokes pot daily every night before he goes to Bed ..he has M.S

bulletproof
06-02-2004, 10:42 PM
I respect your position and ETHICS fwpacerfan along with that of several other posters here who in reading my statement might have thought I was taking a shot at them. If it appeared that way I want to be on record that I wasn't as many of the posters here have expressed they are simply following their inner voice or being true to themselves in not partaking or exploring a range of activities from substances to bungy jumping.
:D

Others however may have been herded or guided into their conformity. Imo they not only have lost some of their own identity but some of the gifts and experiences life has to offer those who live it out to their fullest self, whatever that truly may be.

Inside each of us is a truest sense of ourselves. That is to say how close it is we are getting at a given time in Our lives to being all of the person that we can as well as the person that we want to be.

In other words...

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.

—and—

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it truly is, infinite.

Anthem
06-03-2004, 01:45 AM
You DO realize how MUCH you are stereotyping RIGHT????????? :unimpressed:

It's not sterotyping to say "This is what I saw happen to a friend of mine."

If you knew the number of doctors that got high in the hospital my exwife worked at you would be AMAZED.

I'm sure I would. Your ex may have worked with doctors who hit it, but I sure hope they were foot doctors. I sure as heck wouldn't let a pot-smoker operate on me.

Face it this is generational. ANYONE that came of age in the 70's likely looks at this a whole lot different than someone 18 NOW.

:laugh: Fine, it's generational. What generation, exactly, do you think I am? :laugh:

Personally, I don't much care. I put marijuana in the same category as alcohol and tobacco, but I wouldn't mind living in a state where all three were controlled (if not illegal) substances. No skin off my back either way, and the air would smell better.

I think it's stupid to put yourself in a position where you need a chemical to function. I don't care if it's booze, baccy, pot, or ritalin. If you can't walk away from it, you're in trouble. And if you CAN walk away from it, then why don't you?

Anthem
06-03-2004, 01:52 AM

Yeah, everybody loves to quote Blake. But nobody thinks about the fact that he died in poverty. Excess was something he aspired to, not something he ever experienced.

I don't know many that travel the road of excess and end up with wisdom. Generally speaking, the road of excess leads to high cholestarol, divorce, and bankruptcy court.

Unclebuck
06-03-2004, 01:07 PM
pssstt.....

unclebuck is a c o p

:laugh:

SpADeD
06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
WOW I see alot of clueless people Pot never ruined me but you know what Alcohol did in less than 6 months , alcohol is way , way more addictive than Pot. I think people who get in toruble with the law use pot or alcohol as a excuse , thinking the judge will feel sorry for them.

I Agree with you 100%. When I stopped smoking pot for a long time, and I turned to alcohol. I turned into an alcoholic is 3 months, I drank every morning, afternoon, and night (6 shots in the morning) for 3 months straight. That's one of the reasons why I went back to pot.

ABADays
06-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Just a technical question here. Specifically smoking? Is that the question? Ingestion doesn't apply?

Suaveness
06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Just a technical question here. Specifically smoking? Is that the question? Ingestion doesn't apply?

You mean indigestion ;)

Jk

ABADays
06-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Now there's a thread killer!

sweabs
06-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Whoa...:o.

FireTheCoach
06-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I was working at a half million dollar house a Geist a few years ago. It was owned by a St. Vincents Hospital surgeon.

It was in the summer and hot as hell outside. We took a break and sat down in the shade of the balcony overlooking the big inground swimming pool. I needed an ashtray for my cigarette and spotted on a table next to the gas grill. What do you know but it had 3 fat roaches in it.

We just laughed about it.... what a life to have a trophy wife, a killer house, 3 bad *** cars, a job that pays huge $$$ and still get to sit on this deck and look over the lake smoking a joint. Doctors got it going on for real.

sweabs
06-03-2004, 09:33 PM
I was working at a half million dollar house a Geist a few years ago. It was owned by a St. Vincents Hospital surgeon.

It was in the summer and hot as hell outside. We took a break and sat down in the shade of the balcony overlooking the big inground swimming pool. I needed an ashtray for my cigarette and spotted on a table next to the gas grill. What do you know but it had 3 fat roaches in it.

We just laughed about it.... what a life to have a trophy wife, a killer house, 3 bad *** cars, a job that pays huge $$$ and still get to sit on this deck and look over the lake smoking a joint. Doctors got it going on for real.

What kind of cars did he have? :blush: .

FireTheCoach
06-03-2004, 10:14 PM

lol.... he had 2 Mercedes and a some kinda luxury Land Rover that was totally sweet. :cool:

sweabs
06-03-2004, 10:20 PM

lol.... he had 2 Mercedes and a some kinda luxury Land Rover that was totally sweet. :cool:

Mwhahahah - my Dad has 3 mercedes... :blush: .

Don't hate me

bulletproof
06-03-2004, 10:40 PM

Yeah, everybody loves to quote Blake. But nobody thinks about the fact that he died in poverty. Excess was something he aspired to, not something he ever experienced.

I don't know many that travel the road of excess and end up with wisdom. Generally speaking, the road of excess leads to high cholestarol, divorce, and bankruptcy court.

Ever hear of Charles Bukowski? Lucid (and rich) right up to the very end.

I work in a creative field, and I'm sorry, but most artists indulge. It's just part of the landscape.

MSA2CF
06-04-2004, 12:34 PM

Natston
06-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Some people might think I voted yes just by my screen name... :unimpressed:

Anyway, I have smoked pot twice, both times in 2001. It had little effect on me the first time, and the second time it made me laugh a little more (nothing else).

I haven't touched the stuff since then, except to get a cat high... :angel:

PacerStud
06-04-2004, 02:06 PM
I haven't touched the stuff since then, except to get a cat high... :angel:Nothing like getting some pussy stoned. :D

bulletproof
06-04-2004, 02:12 PM

:therock: Angel wings? For getting a cat stoned? :shakehead:

Although I did get a fly stoned once.

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 02:18 PM

If you want wings, drink....

RED BULL!! (I hear it gives you wings)

Natston
06-04-2004, 02:59 PM

If you want wings, drink....

RED BULL!! (I hear it gives you wings)

I thought mescaline was the only way to fly? :confused:

MarionDeputy
06-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Sorry guys, but there used to be a thing called freedom and pursuit of happiness in this country. As to the marion county sherrif, I would be interested to know the context of that quote from Orwell, because I am more than a little bit sure that it is a misquote, in other words the meaning has to be taken in context. Sounds like it could have come directly from Big Brother and I seem to remember a similar phrase in 1984 which was used by the inner party to justify torture.

Why hello there! I have heard that my selected quote is often debated as not belonging to Orwell, and I have heard your theory that it was a *******ization from 1984 as well. I found it on a site and thought it was cool.

Finally there is still free speech in this country and if marion county deputy wants to try to put the squeeze on me he is more than welcome to try, I live in Lafayette by the way. I have police officers in my extended family and they have told me of how often they overlook it, while pigs like you get they're raises and kicks from harassing kids. Heil Hitler and f*** you.
Are you afraid you might have to go after real criminals if this cottage industry is taken away from you?

I posted as a joke, I though it would be humerous. Marijuanna use is pretty widespread throught the area I work in, I have come across it several times. The county officials trust me to use discretion when I am at a scene, I haven't always arrested people when I have found it, and I certainly do not spend my work hours hounding it out. As far as real criminals go I have seen my fair share, in fact I venture to say the greater Indianapolis area is much more prevalent to violent crime than Lafayette. I have arrested all kinds, and yes I have arrested people who were smoking and in possesion of marijuanna as well. I am a public servant, and I swore an oath to uphold the laws in my jurisdiction, I don't always agree with the laws, but I don't have the liberty to pick and choose which ones I uphold. In our country the common citizens create the laws, if enough people got together and decided to legalize MJ, I wouldn't have to enforce it, but until that day comes, let the smoker beware. As far as putting the "squeeze" on you, not sure where I have trampled on your rights? I have only been to Lafayette once in my whole life, so your probably safe, although now that I know where to look...watch out!! :rolleyes: You seem a bit paranoid, I have heard that is a side effect of excessive pot smoking, you might want to put your pipe down for a little while and calm down. Sheesh!!, sorry for posting

sig
06-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Certainly smoking pot causes some form of lung disease or cancer.

Natston
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM

I'm sure the resin isn't exactly good for you, plus no filters...

sig
06-04-2004, 03:49 PM

That's why I only sell the stuff and don't smoke it.

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 05:00 PM

That's why I only sell the stuff and don't smoke it.

That's reasonable :rolleyes:

Hoop
06-04-2004, 06:23 PM

* Tobacco contains nicotine, and marijuana doesn't. Nicotine hardens the arteries and is responsible for much of the heart and lung disease caused by tobacco.

* Marijuana contains THC. THC is a bronchial dilator, which means it works like a cough drop and opens up your lungs, which aids clearance of smoke and dirt. Nicotine does just the opposite; it makes your lungs
bunch up and makes it harder to cough anything up.

* NO CASE OF LUNG CANCER RESULTING FROM MARIJUANA USE ALONE HAS EVER BEEN DOCUMENTED.

Ant
06-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Yes, but I have been clean for 3 weeks now.

For Those Who Don't Smoke

Smoking raises the senses and creativity of the mind. For those of you who have never smoked it, the best way I can describe it is you feel like your in heaven.

A Pacer Game When High

I used to love to smoke and then watch a Pacer game, it is the most amazing experience. Basically, since your senses are so keen the Players look like they are standing right infront of you and the crowd sounds so real. Every little cut and pick...every bounce of the ball is just so amazing.

It is really undescribable.

Now don't get the stereotypical pothead image in your head. I know alot of people who smoke the sticky icky and they all look like standup young men and women. They look just like the typical good kid...and they are good kids who will grow up to be fine adults, Marijuana doesn't change a person (only in extreme cases).

So who else? I know I am not the only one.

*Co-Sign* Except for the 1st sentence :D

Anthem
06-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Personally, I don't much care. I put marijuana in the same category as alcohol and tobacco, but I wouldn't mind living in a state where all three were controlled (if not illegal) substances. No skin off my back either way, and the air would smell better.

I think it's stupid to put yourself in a position where you need a chemical to function. I don't care if it's booze, baccy, pot, or ritalin. If you can't walk away from it, you're in trouble. And if you CAN walk away from it, then why don't you?

So I guess you are immune to vices then. Since they are ALL just matters of choice. You've never over eaten, much less carry a lb extra. Never had premarital sex either right. Because CERTAINLY, if you CAN walk away from it, YOU CERTAINLY DO!!!
(right?) :jump:

What's with the fire, chief? I just said I was ok with legalizing and that put you over the top? Maybe you DO need the wacky weed!

The rest of what you said was true, though. I don't carry an extra pound, and I kept it in my pants until I was married. I own my desires, they don't own me.

Trust me on this one. It's not the road of excess that leads to wisdom, it's the road of self-control. Maryjane, alcohol, tobacco, food, work, anger, religion, it doesn't matter. Either you own it or it owns you.

FireTheCoach
06-07-2004, 03:07 AM
I haven't always arrested people when I have found it

I swore an oath to uphold the laws ... I don't have the liberty to pick and choose which ones I uphold.

:shakehead:
:rolleyes:

MarionDeputy
06-07-2004, 03:50 PM

I swore an oath to uphold the laws ... I don't have the liberty to pick and choose which ones I uphold.

I can see how I used a poor choice of words here. Let me see if I can explain it better. I was being accused of going around locking up every pot smoker out there, which isn't true. When I have found small trivial amounts of pot, I have let it go, two guys sitting on their back porch not-bothering anybody else, I have let it go. However, when I find people smoking it while driving, possesion in large quanities, I am sworn to uphold the law. Does that sound better?

I wonder if your going to continue to goad me into a war of words each time I post now. I didn't respond to your _________ _________ postings, hoping that I got my point a cross, and perhaps even if you didn't admit regret, you'll certainly think twice before posting something racist in the future. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, and responding to your message, as if your just curious about what I said. I hope Im right......

BigMac
06-07-2004, 04:00 PM
While it's nice that everybody got to sound off on this topic, I think it has run its course.

Hicks,

would you mind moving this to the PUB? I, for one, would greatly appreciate not having to read a header about POT when I go to read something about the Pacers. Sorry for being a stick in the mud but it's not of interest to me and has nothing to do with the Pacers (even if KStat thinks we all smoke it :) )

Hicks
06-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Actually, I think I will "Pub it". Really has no business here anyway.

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Thank you.

FireTheCoach
06-07-2004, 04:31 PM

I can see how I used a poor choice of words here. Let me see if I can explain it better. I was being accused of going around locking up every pot smoker out there, which isn't true. When I have found small trivial amounts of pot, I have let it go, two guys sitting on their back porch not-bothering anybody else, I have let it go. However, when I find people smoking it while driving, possesion in large quanities, I am sworn to uphold the law. Does that sound better?

I wonder if your going to continue to goad me into a war of words each time I post now. I didn't respond to your _________ _________ postings, hoping that I got my point a cross, and perhaps even if you didn't admit regret, you'll certainly think twice before posting something racist in the future. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, and responding to your message, as if your just curious about what I said. I hope Im right......

F'k you.... I've never posted anything racist and you know it.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 04:35 PM

This has to stop. Now. No more "F you"s, no more bringing that up unless it's to do something good with it. Both of you. It needs to die before it grows to anything bigger.

I should close this, seeing as how it's going, plus everyone's voted and had their say. I'll give it a day to see if it goes back to subject, but if it doesn't, I'm just gonna end it. This can't continue.

MarionDeputy
06-07-2004, 05:47 PM
You keep grouping me in with him. You guys ignored an obivously distasteful message. You and another moderator both aknowledged that it was wrong a whole debate was made over the incident. I said my peace and in a Private Message to you told you I would leave it alone. Since that email he posted the __________ __________ email which was an obvious attack at me, with nothing done except locking the thread, I could have started it all over again but I didn't I just let it go. Now he attacked me in this thread. You said cease fire, and I have, he is the one with the finger on the trigger. Tell me exactly what you'd like me to do.

This has to stop. Now. No more "F you"s, no more bringing that up unless it's to do something good with it. Both of you. It needs to die before it grows to anything bigger.

I should close this, seeing as how it's going, plus everyone's voted and had their say. I'll give it a day to see if it goes back to subject, but if it doesn't, I'm just gonna end it. This can't continue.

FireTheCoach
06-07-2004, 06:47 PM
I'll stop posting about it after I say this...

Marion Deputy interpreted my post as a racial slur. IT WAS NOT.... period. His association of the words "ghetto" and the "N" word is HIS problem, not mine.

Even though I have been an active member for 5 years and have submitted over 7000 combined posts on the Star board and this one AND NOT ONCE SAID ANYTHING REMOTELY RACIST.... Marion Deputy takes ONE sentence I wrote, adds HIS OWN word to it and then proclaims me to be a racist based on HIS interpretation of what word best fit the sentence.

The original version of that sentence was "You can take a thug outta the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto outta the thug."

Ron Artest IMO was acting just like a street corner thug in the last half of the 4th quarter of the ECF... and thats all there was to it.

Marion Deputy is a ______ , and Hicks owes me a public apology on here for jumping on a bandwagon that he KNEW full well was false.

aside from that..... I was here during the very formation and founding of this online community and was an active memeber of the Star board for YEARS before this message board was even conceived... my history speaks for itself regardless of what some "johnny come lately" poster the likes of Marion Deputy thinks.

To me it is essentially a non issue as the posters whos opinions I care about have sent me several supportive pm's and have made it known that they agree it was Marion Deputy simply looking for some kinda attention and being a sensationalist. Everybody knows I'm not a racist.

the end

Hicks
06-07-2004, 07:19 PM
I'll stop posting about it after I say this...

Marion Deputy interpreted my post as a racial slur. IT WAS NOT.... period.

Not to you, it wasn't. But you foolishly left it open to interpretation and it back-fired. That's reality.

His association of the words "ghetto" and the "N" word is HIS problem, not mine.

Not really. I'm sure someone can explain it better than I can, but even if you meant ghetto thug, that's still not a good thing. Especially towards a black person.

Even though I have been an active member for 5 years and have submitted over 7000 combined posts on the Star board and this one AND NOT ONCE SAID ANYTHING REMOTELY RACIST....

That's true, you haven't. That's why I was particularly surprised it came from you. It's also why I haven't flat out called you a racist, nor taken any real action against you on this. Benefit of the doubt has played a big part in what's gone on already.

Marion Deputy takes ONE sentence I wrote, adds HIS OWN word to it and then proclaims me to be a racist based on HIS interpretation of what word best fit the sentence.

The original version of that sentence was "You can take a thug outta the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto outta the thug."

You asked for it. If all you meant was thug, you should have said thug. Period. Not left some stupid "__________"s to leave it open to interpretation. Are you really foolish enough to not know what that looks like when you blank it out? What sane person blanks out "thug"?

Ron Artest IMO was acting just like a street corner thug in the last half of the 4th quarter of the ECF... and thats all there was to it.

And you brought me and you a big mess because you didn't just say that. Instead you decide to get cute, and it cost you. Or you're lying right now and trying to save face. I'd like to think the former, but it doesn't fit all that well, frankly.

Marion Deputy is a ______ , and Hicks owes me a public apology on here for jumping on a bandwagon that he KNEW full well was false.

More cutesy "_______"s, huh? Haven't you learned by now those are just trouble? Say what you're gonna say from now on.

As for me, I owe you ****. Your comment looked bad. Really bad. And I was even going to let it slide. But when someone didn't, I felt like agreeing with him, because I DID agree with him. I have nothing to apologize for.

aside from that..... I was here during the very formation and founding of this online community and was an active memeber of the Star board for YEARS before this message board was even conceived... my history speaks for itself regardless of what some "johnny come lately" poster the likes of Marion Deputy thinks.

You've been around a long time, and that's great. But that doesn't have any bearing on whether you or MarionDeputy is right or wrong in this. Not at all.

To me it is essentially a non issue as the posters whos opinions I care about have sent me several supportive pm's and have made it known that they agree it was Marion Deputy simply looking for some kinda attention and being a sensationalist.

Then I think they are blind. Marion wasn't putting on a show. He was reacting to a statement that again, because you were seemingly foolish enough to leave it open to interpreation, looked racist and stupid. He was right to say something.

Again I have to ask, what kind of a nut blanks out the word "thug" if that's all he means? None that I know of, because it doesn't make sense. Instead, it looks like you're trying to save face because you screwed up.

If you can't see how making reference to a stament from a two-generations-old Hoosier about a black person, while adding these blanks to this statement: "You can take a _________ outta the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto outta the ___________." can be easily seen as a racist stament, you are either extremely naive, blind, or you meant what you said and you didn't have the guts to just say it instead of blanking it out, and are now back-peddling.

I have to be honest. I've liked you since I've known you. And like you ended your post with:

Everybody knows I'm not a racist.

Normally I'd agree. And I hope that's not true because I do like your personality (normally) and was looking forward to meeting you and the rest this July. But this series of events have made you look really bad to me, and I'm far from alone in that opinion.

Up until now I've tried my best to bite my tongue publicly to be quiet about this, but this last post was just one too many.

FireTheCoach
06-07-2004, 08:42 PM
And I don't owe you **** either... so what was the point in all this?

There is no way in hell I will ever apologize for giving small minded people the opportunity to practice their craft.

If I left an empty bucket in front of your door and you take a ***** in it... does it then become my fault that you have a bucket of ***** on your front door step? You could have put anything in it you wanted to but instead you decided to ***** in it and it becomes my fault for giving you that opportunity....

Lets not speak of this on the message board any longer.... I'll see ya in July, this will be the most interesting party to date.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 09:10 PM
I'll see ya in July, this will be the most interesting party to date.

What's this about? We can't just talk basketball in person, or do you feel the need to be a jerk about it? I'm going to go to talk basketball, and enjoy everyone being there. Can you say the same?

Hicks
06-07-2004, 09:35 PM
And I'll ask again. If you meant thug, why on earth "________" it? That doesn't make any sense.

Shade
06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
And I'll ask again. If you meant thug, why on earth "________" it? That doesn't make any sense.

First of, FTC, I don't know you from Adam, but I have come to enjoy you as a fellow Pacers fan.

I've been keeping tabs on this whole thing (which I think is blown waaaay out of proportion by practically everyone involved, btw), and I have to be honest -- when I saw that phrase, "thug" is not the word that came to mind. I have never seen the word "thug" considered so offensive as to blank it out. That's where this whole mess starts.

I don't blame Marion Deputy for bringing it up -- he obviously took offense to his interpretation of it, which is not an uncommon interpretation. I definitely think the record could have been set straight more clearly, though, without resorting to all the personal insults and flames.

Let's just please let this whole issue die. Hopefully everyone has learned from this experience. I don't believe anyone on here is a racist, personally, and it is very easy to misinterpret things on internet message boards.

MD, FTC said that he meant "thug." Since there is no way to disprove that, you'll just have to go with his word. His track record speaks well for him anyway, so I'm sure many of us can vouch for that.

FTC, please be more clear on your phrasing in the future. I'm sure that when you wrote that you didn't think it would blow up into a big issue, but it has. We all just have to learn from experience and try to be a little more clear in the future.

Now, from this point on, no more flaming or personal insults from ANYONE. Newb or old-timer alike.

I have spoken. :)

bulletproof
06-08-2004, 12:46 AM

Exactly.

You guys are being too nice.

MarionDeputy
06-08-2004, 09:57 AM

Exactly.

You guys are being too nice.

Funny how we weve had all these postings, he probably had 10 times now where he could have explained what he actually met. And now that the fats in the fire we get the truth? Please....... Let's not forget his grandpa was famous for saying this phrase. Im sure his grandpa knows all about "thug life" as well and used that phrase all the time. :rolleyes: This back peddling could churn the ocean. Even substituting thug in the sentence still makes it an insensitive remark.

The question still has not been answered:

And we probably won't get an answer, because the truth is painfully obvious.

pollardfreek
06-18-2006, 09:00 PM
I have never tried weed or alcohol before, and probably never will. Not that I haven't had opportunities. I could probably name over 20 people I hang out with every day at my high school that smoke weed, and even more that drink. I don't stay away from alcohol and weed from a moral standpoint or anything, I just don't like the taste.

P.S.- The pothead sterotype is very true. I've seen guys who used to be totally normal go to zombies who just stare at stuff all the time and have slurred speech. Drug Free's the way to be! :dance: :pepper:

Holy ****! Did I write that? LOL! Man, it's crazy how things can change in a couple of years. I don't think people should put Marijuana down unless they've tried it and gotten totally blown. It's the best feeling in the world.

*EDIT* I'm also curious to know if anyone else that posted in this thread has changed their opinion, either for or against.

Anthem
06-18-2006, 11:44 PM
I can't believe this thread got bumped.

If this is going to be back on the frontpage, can we get an admin to slice out the flamewar?

Also, where'd the poll go?

Hicks
06-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Words can't express the happiness I get from seeing this again... oh wait, no. It's that other thing.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
No weed for LSL

Shade
06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
:disturbed

SoupIsGood
06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
No weed, it aint good for the soup

brichard
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Weed free and I still like Pink Floyd.

Weird huh? :hmm:

Jermaniac
06-22-2006, 11:50 PM
I be smokin that OUUUUUUUUUUUU WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Not alot though every now and then.

Evan_The_Dude
06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
I tried it once when I was 16, and never had the desire to do it again. Just not my thing I guess. I do drink though, but most of the time I only have enough to get buzzed. I guess the thing with weed is that I'm known to keep my eyes open for better and better job opportunities, and I like having the ability to pass a drug screening anytime I want without worry.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 04:10 AM
No weed for M*T*O's.

317Kim
06-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Nope. No weed.

Frank Slade
06-23-2006, 08:43 AM
I Pass on Grass.. All the time.... :-p

I do not puff the Magic Dragon

Dab
06-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Pretty much every day.

Spicoli
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey there's no birthday party for me in here...

http://theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/127cap004.jpg

Shade
06-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Didn't then, and still don't now. I have some friends that do, and though I don't really approve of it, I'm not going to put them down for it. Their body, their life, their call.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Every once in a long, long while. On very special occasions.

BoomBaby31
06-23-2006, 11:11 PM
I smoke weed, snort coke, do a little heroin every other week. Shrooms a couple times a week, and when I can't afford my H, Oxycontin does the job. Vicodin is almost like taking vitamins to me. J/k no drugs for me.. I drink occasionally you know 3-4 times a week. I've smoke the Dro a couple times back in high-school but, it wasn't near as good as drinking and to expensive not to enjoy it.

Ron who?
06-24-2006, 12:47 AM
never did in my life, probably never will, that or drink, im gonna be one clean nerdy, indian doctor

Young
06-24-2006, 02:11 AM
This reminds me of something, maybe some of you guys outside of Indiana can answer this the best.

Is Indiana known for drunks? Because I got this text message a couple of weeks ago and it was:

"When about to be involed in a head on collision, 90% of teens say oh ****...the other 10% live in Indiana and say hold my beer and watch this ****."

I've been wondering about this because I thought Indiana only drank a little but maybe what I consider a little is what most people consider a lot.

Ron who?
06-24-2006, 03:01 AM
never thought of Indiana as a drinker state... but then again i really dont know much about indiana
but is California really viewed as the ultimate stoner state?

RON ARTEST
06-24-2006, 04:42 AM
never thought of Indiana as a drinker state... but then again i really dont know much about indiana
but is California really viewed as the ultimate stoner state?why is your username ron who? i hope your not talking about artest.:laugh: i know hes a lunatic but dont you think you guys miss him as a player?

anyway to answer the question, no i never have. i dont know why people do drugs period, all it does is ruin your life.

Lord Helmet
06-24-2006, 05:10 AM
why is your username ron who? i hope your not talking about artest.:laugh: i know hes a lunatic but dont you think you guys miss him as a player?

anyway to answer the question, no i never have. i dont know why people do drugs period, all it does is ruin your life.
I miss most of him as a player, yes.

Do I miss the constant distractions? HELL NO.

RON ARTEST
06-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Do I miss the constant distractions? HELL NO.i dont blame you, hes the reason the pacers didnt get out of the first round this year. he did alot of stupid stuff on the pacers but im glad hes with us now.

bulletproof
06-24-2006, 07:37 AM
i dont blame you, hes the reason the pacers didnt get out of the first round this year. he did alot of stupid stuff on the pacers but im glad hes with us now.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick...

SoupIsGood
06-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Danny Granger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Artest

Robertmto
06-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Danny Granger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Artest

Ok I know tis is a Pacers board. I understand that ppl are sour on Ron Artest. But there's no way, NO WAY that you can be serious about that. Hyperbole; I think so.

Hicks
06-24-2006, 04:16 PM
In a few years, Granger might = Ron Artest ( - crazy)

Lord Helmet
06-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok I know tis is a Pacers board. I understand that ppl are sour on Ron Artest. But there's no way, NO WAY that you can be serious about that. Hyperbole; I think so.
If you watched him as many times as we did, I think you might think so, too.

The guy was a rookie last year, and already he played really good defense, as in not losing too many players. Also the experience he got on Vince Carter in the playoffs will help, also.

In a few years I think his defense good be about the same as Artest's.

Plus, his offense game isn't too shabby either.

Robertmto
06-24-2006, 04:53 PM
If you watched him as many times as we did, I think you might think so, too.

The guy was a rookie last year, and already he played really good defense, as in not losing too many players. Also the experience he got on Vince Carter in the playoffs will help, also.

In a few years I think his defense good be about the same as Artest's.

Plus, his offense game isn't too shabby either.

I saw him, i watch Pacer games when they're on TV. and I live here so i watched a lot.

SoupIsGood
06-24-2006, 11:31 PM

I was mainly just poking fun at him.

But Granger is sane though. That makes him at least ">" in my book.

Lord Helmet
06-25-2006, 12:28 AM

So true.

bulletproof
06-25-2006, 02:05 AM
What happened to "Weed Talk with Hicks?"

Robertmto
06-25-2006, 03:06 AM

How about DG has the ability to be > Artest, however I doubt it??

SoupIsGood
06-25-2006, 10:04 AM
How about DG has the ability to be > Artest, however I doubt it??

Well, I wouldn't trade Danny for Ron, so I have a hard time buying that Ron is > than Danny.

Sometimes it isn't just about talent.... Ron is worthless when it comes to functioning within a team.

Los Angeles
06-25-2006, 11:50 PM
People is spelled P...E...O...P...L...E!

Arcadian
06-26-2006, 12:00 AM
And < and > don't mean better or worse than!

Hicks
06-26-2006, 12:02 AM
No, but they mean greater than or less than, which still works.

BoomBaby31
06-26-2006, 01:37 AM
but is California really viewed as the ultimate stoner state?

YOu must of never heard of Bloomington and I.U (indiana unversity) because it's just a big drunken party there on campus.

Since86
06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
YOu must of never heard of Bloomington and I.U (indiana unversity) because it's just a big drunken party there on campus.

IU is so overrated when it comes to partying, it's a joke.

I honestly don't know of anyother school that waits til 11 to go out, parties til 2 or 3, then goes to sleep.

A 4hr party night is a shame.

BTW. Any school that ALWAYS uses Pizza Express, Avers, or Mad Mushroom (because they're all the same) cups to play beer pong is another joke in itself. It's like shooting a beach ball into the ocean. They need to invest in real tables too. This playing on doors crap doesn't fly.

pizza guy
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I know that in our area, meth is a big thing. Weed is something that a lot of kids do, but a good percentage of them are very seldom users. I don't condone it in any way, but, at least the ones who do use it aren't just druggies.

Drinking is big though. I think I'm the only kid in town that doesn't drink, probably the county.