PDA

View Full Version : How do u not get a Technical for this??

granger33
12-18-2007, 01:20 AM
haha i love Jamaal.

But how did he not get a T for this. :confused:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCrYQcL54Wo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCrYQcL54Wo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

TMJ31
12-18-2007, 01:23 AM
He does that about 3 times each and every game... You just never hear it that clearly :)

Young
12-18-2007, 01:27 AM
I've always wondered what players say to each other on the court, or field for that matter.

I think it's kinda funny. Your watching a game and then you hear a player say something like that. Kinda stands out.

TheDon
12-18-2007, 01:34 AM
I wonder if anyone on the team or JOB has went to Jamaal and said..."Tinsley...any idea why they might not give you that call?"

PaceBalls
12-18-2007, 01:42 AM
I was talking to a co-worker about this today, and to me, and her, it seems that the "and1 mother-fu**er" is directed at the refs, asking for the foul (and 1). With how touchy the refs are with players complaining etc... It makes me really wonder how he gets away with this?? And why aren't our coaches or TPTB telling him to stop? If not they really should, it's not like they don't hear that. I mean everyone in the Mother-f'n stadium hears it, and everyone on TV.

Some of you might think it's funny, but how many of you with kids would ever bring them back to a Pacer game after hearing him yell that 3x a game? I myself, think it's hilarious, but most Pacer fans aren't gonna dig that, and it only isolates our fan base even more :(

Arcadian
12-18-2007, 02:21 AM
On a level it is endearing. However, it most likely isn't conducive to T'bird's child-lined courts.

Naptown_Seth
12-18-2007, 02:32 AM
He does that about 3 times each and every game... You just never hear it that clearly :)
Um, three? Hardly.

Every single shot inside always. Seriously. We've been laughing about it for at least the last year or so. It really caught on around here around the time that Foster pulled the "Good azz defense" out for a game.

My main issue is that he does it on so many missed shots. Gotta hit the bucket before it's an and-1, foul or not. Even if he cleaned it up it would still be pretty goofy and usually incorrect.

The ratio of his calling for it vs actually getting an and-1 FT has to be horrible. Maybe 5% I'd guess. :D

Pacersfan46
12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I'd guess it was directed at the players.

That's easily a comment you'll hear on the street every day where guys are playing ball. And there are no refs there at all to be talking to.

-- Steve --

idioteque
12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Some of you might think it's funny, but how many of you with kids would ever bring them back to a Pacer game after hearing him yell that 3x a game? I myself, think it's hilarious, but most Pacer fans aren't gonna dig that, and it only isolates our fan base even more :(

I have brought my younger cousin to probably 10 Pacer games when I return to Indiana to visit my family, we sit in the 8th row, and we've heard something similar to that only one time.

It's been a lot worse when we walk by some guy screaming into his cellphone on the street downtown. No matter where you go in public, you're going to hear profanity, it's unavoidable.

Anthem
12-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I'd guess it was directed at the players.

That's easily a comment you'll hear on the street every day where guys are playing ball. And there are no refs there at all to be talking to.

-- Steve --
Yeah, I've always taken that as being aimed at whoever was guarding him.

Evan_The_Dude
12-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Me & my friends used to say that to each other years ago when we played pickup ball. It came from one of the first And 1 shoe commercials. Of course they didn't say And 1 Motherf***** in the commercial, but it's a phrase that kinda spread around from that commercial. I'm sure it's directed to the player, not the ref.

naptownmenace
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I have brought my younger cousin to probably 10 Pacer games when I return to Indiana to visit my family, we sit in the 8th row, and we've heard something similar to that only one time.

It's been a lot worse when we walk by some guy screaming into his cellphone on the street downtown. No matter where you go in public, you're going to hear profanity, it's unavoidable.

I guarantee your younger cousin hears profanity everyday at school. The kids these days cuss like drunken sailors.

Elgin56
12-18-2007, 10:46 AM
It is a very small step to make the arguement that if he talks like this on the court than he probably made similiar comments to the thugs who shot up downtown Indy.

able
12-18-2007, 10:50 AM
It is a very small step to make the arguement that if he talks like this on the court than he probably made similiar comments to the thugs who shot up downtown Indy.

small step for you maybe, but a giant leap for me

;)

Evan_The_Dude
12-18-2007, 11:10 AM

I wouldn't doubt it, but what does that matter? It still doesn't make the reaction by those "thugs" right. Listen to an NBA game close enough and Jamaal would probably sound like a Saint compared to some of the other thing's you'll hear players say.

Anthem
12-18-2007, 11:11 AM
small step for you maybe, but a giant leap for me

;)
Seriously, he said that?

Makes me glad I've got him on ignore.

Elgin56
12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Seriously, he said that?

Makes me glad I've got him on ignore.

Your kidding right? Do you seriously think that Tins doesn't use that kind of language away from the court? If you have me on ignore it is because you can't deal with the truth.

Elgin56
12-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't doubt it, but what does that matter? It still doesn't make the reaction by those "thugs" right. Listen to an NBA game close enough and Jamaal would probably sound like a Saint compared to some of the other thing's you'll hear players say.

It matters because his words could have given the situation wheels. All we have is Tins version of how the shoot up started. Given his track record his word is not gold. A many of bar fights have started over words and to exclude this from the arguement is rather naive.

Naptown_Seth
12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
So basically in EB's world the proper response to (mean words) is automatic rifle fire.

Sure, makes sense.

Oddly enough I have this weird vibe that EB says a lot of mean things toward me....well, I guess I know what is expected of me if I'm to maintain proper social discourse by his standards. I'm just not sure I'm sophisticated enough to handle it, I might have to stick with the big ig instead.

Elgin56
12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
So basically in EB's world the proper response to (mean words) is automatic rifle fire.

Sure, makes sense.

Oddly enough I have this weird vibe that EB says a lot of mean things toward me....well, I guess I know what is expected of me if I'm to maintain proper social discourse by his standards. I'm just not sure I'm sophisticated enough to handle it, I might have to stick with the big ig instead.

Is this aimed at me? IF so I never stated that gunfire is the correct response to "mean words". .

Major Cold
12-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I guarantee your younger cousin hears profanity everyday at school. The kids these days cuss like Irish drunken sailors.

Fixed

NuffSaid
12-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I watched that Pacers/Heat game and don't recall hearing on-the-court dialog between players quite so...clearly. :p

Still, that's just part of the trash-talking that goes on between players in every game. Nothing new here, folks. Ask Uncle Reggie Miller about some of the things he use to say to his defenders back in the day. I'm sure they were alot worse than that. :p

Oneal07
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM

LOL./ . 3 Times? Pretty much all game. . sometimes he even yells it from the Bench

Isaac
12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Me & my friends used to say that to each other years ago when we played pickup ball. It came from one of the first And 1 shoe commercials. Of course they didn't say And 1 Motherf***** in the commercial, but it's a phrase that kinda spread around from that commercial. I'm sure it's directed to the player, not the ref.

How could you think its not directed at the ref? He is asking for a foul call by yelling that.

Elgin's mentality is the problem with the average non-die hard Pacers fan. To go out of your way to say you don't support Jamaal and to try and say the shooting was his fault instead of focusing on the outstanding season he's having on the court is ridiculous. These days if you asked the casual fan why they aren't going to games they can't give any excuse for the play on the court because it has been exciting and has produced results.

tdubb03
12-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Reminds me of this
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mOzQnwhqFE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mOzQnwhqFE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Erik
12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
FixedI resent that stereotype about the Irish, I never sail while I am drunk.

Major Cold
12-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I resent that stereotype about the Irish, I never sail while I am drunk.

:buddies:

Elgin56
12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
How could you think its not directed at the ref? He is asking for a foul call by yelling that.

Elgin's mentality is the problem with the average non-die hard Pacers fan. To go out of your way to say you don't support Jamaal and to try and say the shooting was his fault instead of focusing on the outstanding season he's having on the court is ridiculous. These days if you asked the casual fan why they aren't going to games they can't give any excuse for the play on the court because it has been exciting and has produced results.

Where did I say the shooting was his fault? Did he contribute to the situation? Hell yes! Not a die hard fan? Come on. Don't make me bring out my " I have been a Pacer fan since you were a glint in your daddy's eyes card".

BTW, there is nothing wrong with my mentality, however my wife might disagree.

PaceBalls
12-18-2007, 06:46 PM
It's all about having a little class, I mean cmon there are little kids at the game. It is supposed to be family entertainment. Is it really that hard to show a little class and have a bit of respect?

So yeah, it's one thing to joke around with your buddies at the park, but when you are on a national stage on TV, that type of language is just uncalled for, and it's not like he just does this rarely, he does it every game.

Erik
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
It's all about having a little class, I mean cmon there are little kids at the game. It is supposed to be family entertainment. Is it really that hard to show a little class and have a bit of respect?

So yeah, it's one thing to joke around with your buddies at the park, but when you are on a national stage on TV, that type of language is just uncalled for, and it's not like he just does this rarely, he does it every game.
good point. but maybe that's how some get up for games, playing like they are at the park and trying not to think of the thousands that are watching them.

Infinite MAN_force
12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
So what, Reggie talked trash all the time. I'm pretty sure there was some off-color language being displayed between him and spike lee in some of those knick games. Seems like a silly thing to worry about.

tdubb03
12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
If they'd had as many mics near the court in the 80s as they do now I wonder how many bad words we'd hear.

BruceLeeroy
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
He's OBVIOUSLY talking to the refs. Half the time he looks directly at them when he says it. I'm not sure why they don't tech him.

......and that comment from Isaac to Elgin was pretty lame.

OnlyPacersLeft
12-18-2007, 07:25 PM
i think it's hillarious...the world today is way too touchy...
Jamaal for all star!

Evan_The_Dude
12-18-2007, 07:50 PM

Let me put it this way... It's the 'urban' way of talking ****** to the person guarding you. It's like saying "You fouled me like a b***h but I still made the shot". I'm trying to find the And 1 commercial that started the whole thing. It's trash talk to the person guarding him, not him begging for the foul.

BlueNGold
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
It matters because his words could have given the situation wheels. All we have is Tins version of how the shoot up started. Given his track record his word is not gold. A many of bar fights have started over words and to exclude this from the arguement is rather naive.

You could be right, but it's entirely speculation. I would not assume just because he runs his mouth once in awhile during the game that this has anything to do with his third incident. Perhaps it was a contributing factor...I certainly would not rule it out...but I would not stand comfortably on that ground.

My question is why there are not more instances of this happening among literally thousands of wealthy, even more recognizable people, including professional athletes and entertainers. Keep in mind that athletes are not the only rich and famous in this country.

The issue is not that JT was involved in an incident. That happens often to a small percentage of athletes. Maybe even two can happen to the poor guy within one year. But 3 incidents in about 15 months? Puhleeze!

I guess there is always that one unlucky AND1 player. :laugh:

SycamoreKen
12-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I've never seen the commercial, but think the And 1 line was around before the tour, hence where they got the name from. As for the language, well I guess he feels the need. Not exactly what I would want my kids to hear, if i had any, but society seems to have gone too far down that sorry slide that no one even bats an eye now a days.

Isaac
12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Where did I say the shooting was his fault? Did he contribute to the situation? Hell yes! Not a die hard fan? Come on. Don't make me bring out my " I have been a Pacer fan since you were a glint in your daddy's eyes card".

BTW, there is nothing wrong with my mentality, however my wife might disagree.

I'm not saying you aren't a die-hard, I'm saying the way you are viewing Jamaal is the way the casual fans do, and I have a serious problem with that.

Let me put it this way... It's the 'urban' way of talking ****** to the person guarding you. It's like saying "You fouled me like a b***h but I still made the shot". I'm trying to find the And 1 commercial that started the whole thing. It's trash talk to the person guarding him, not him begging for the foul.

No, Jamaal is talking to the ref when he says that.

ThA HoyA
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
that bynum one was hilarious but yea ive said that before on the court with no referees ive heard him say that a few times but mostly what i hear is AND 1....not AND 1 Mother****er but its still funny

OnlyPacersLeft
12-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Bynum "THROW THE *****ING BALL!" LOL

Anthem
12-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I watched that Pacers/Heat game and don't recall hearing on-the-court dialog between players quite so...clearly. :p
Yeah, Miami's house made ours look like a carnival. There was a point where the overwhelming sound in the arena was sneakers squeaking on hardwood. I felt like I was in high school again.

Anthem
12-19-2007, 12:04 AM
I've never seen the commercial, but think the And 1 line was around before the tour,
LOOOOOOOOOOONG before.

Anthem
12-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Best seat I've ever had was 8th row. For the most part, I couldn't hear the guys talking on the court.

PaceBalls
12-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Best seat I've ever had was 8th row. For the most part, I couldn't hear the guys talking on the court.

You are trying real hard to stick up for your guy, I can understand that. But it's on national... or at least regional TV where more people than are at the game can hear that. There is something to the fact that the Pacers have a public image to maintain, at least try to cover up, for the fans.

I, personally don't have a problem with foul language, they are just words...but there is a respect issue here, especially after all the bad publicity and crap this team has gone through, with a huge chunk of the fan base writing this team off as the "Indiana Thugs"... I mean is it really so much to ask for him not to swear like a drunken sailor when on the court?

It's just not the kinda crap this team needs when they are trying to fill seats in the fieldhouse, and in light of all the situations involving Tins and the past few years, seeing the fans leave in droves... It is disrespectful to yell that ****.

Pacersfan46
12-19-2007, 07:22 AM
No, Jamaal is talking to the ref when he says that.

Jamaal? Is that you?! Oh, it's not?

Well, don't sound so sure when you can't possibly be. It's rather obnoxious. Thank you. :)

Your account says you live in Chicago, go to a street court there in the summer for one day and see how many times you hear that comment without a single ref to be seen.

Isaac
12-19-2007, 02:19 PM
You'll hear Jamaal very often yell this without the mfer, where he'll go and oooooooone!!! He's clearly lobbying for a foul the way he does it. I'll go halfway and say he's partially saying it to the player, but he is absolutely asking for a foul when he does it and it is silly to think he isn't.

On a street court if you say the same thing, just because there isn't any chance of a ref actually calling it, what you are saying is that you got fouled. In an NBA game, the ref is there and Jamaal is definitley calling out to him.

skyfire
12-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Didn't Sheed get T'd up for doing exactly the same thing last season? If my memory serves my correctly it was later rescinded.

spazzxb
12-20-2007, 04:30 AM

I snuck down into seats around the eight row behind the basket for a quarter once. The one thing that suprised me was how well I could here the players talk. Can't hear a thing where I normally sit though.

granger33
12-20-2007, 04:51 AM
i got courtside seats to the proffesional league in australia.

and i never hear anything like that.

all u say is push and shove and maybe someone yell out "AND ONE"

but not with the mther

JayRedd
12-20-2007, 11:56 AM
You'll hear Jamaal very often yell this without the mfer, where he'll go and oooooooone!!! He's clearly lobbying for a foul the way he does it. I'll go halfway and say he's partially saying it to the player, but he is absolutely asking for a foul when he does it and it is silly to think he isn't.

On a street court if you say the same thing, just because there isn't any chance of a ref actually calling it, what you are saying is that you got fouled. In an NBA game, the ref is there and Jamaal is definitley calling out to him.

I'm with PacersFan46 in belief that you are entirely wrong.

FlavaDave
12-20-2007, 12:21 PM
a) Yes, the phrase "And one" has been around long before the shoe company. In fact, *gasp*, that's how they got the name.

b) Yelling "AND ONE!!!" after a bucket is an act of defiance against a defender who tried to alter your shot by bumping you physically. Basically, it means "your defense is so poor that you resorted to physical contact to stop me, and you STILL couldn't do it." You get bonus points if you yell it out while the shot is still in the air. And yes, the "MFer" part is optional.

tdubb03
12-20-2007, 12:38 PM
b) Yelling "AND ONE!!!" after a bucket is an act of defiance against a defender who tried to alter your shot by bumping you physically. Basically, it means "your defense is so poor that you resorted to physical contact to stop me, and you STILL couldn't do it." You get bonus points if you yell it out while the shot is still in the air. And yes, the "MFer" part is optional.

This is how I've always interpreted it as well. I've said it while playing pick-up games, obviously I'm not trying to get a call as there are no refs.

Dr. Goldfoot
12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
If the ref's thought he was directing this at them they'd T him up. They know he's talking trash to the opponent.

FlavaDave
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
If the ref's thought he was directing this at them they'd T him up. They know he's talking trash to the opponent.

Game, Set, Match.

That's a great point. Not bad for your 800th post.

Anthem
12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
. . . . the ref is there and Jamaal is definitley calling out to him.
Says you. You're not a definitive source.

If the ref was really getting cussed out on every play, he'd T up Jamaal. The fact that he's never been T'd for that should tell you that the refs don't agree with you.

Anthem
12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Game, Set, Match.

That's a great point. Not bad for your 800th post.
Arrgh! He beat me to it!

Naptown_Seth
12-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Clearly my point was lost in all of this.

Dude misses more of these than he makes. So while I have no problem with the trash, at least make good on it. Or change it to "And Two" I guess.

Or does he mean "And one...more offensive rebound for Jeff"?