PDA

View Full Version : Tinsley hires security guard

pwee31
12-16-2007, 10:06 AM
It's about time!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3157018

Jamaal Tinsley's latest off-the-court trouble has convinced the Pacers forward to heed his team's advice and hire a security guard.

Tinsley
"It was mine and the team's decision to do it," Tinsley told the Indianapolis Star. "They've been trying to make me do it for the last two years. It's something I needed to do."

The security guard will travel with Tinsley when he's on the road and when he goes out in Indianapolis, the newspaper reported.
The latest episode was Tinsley's third late-night incident in about 14 months. It is the latest in a three-year string of off-court problems that have engulfed the franchise, starting with a brawl with Detroit Pistons fans in 2004.

The Pacers have since traded two of the main participants in the brawl -- Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson -- but the franchise still is digging out, and Tinsley continues to find trouble.

He was there when then-teammate Jackson fired a gun into the air several times before being hit by a car at an Indianapolis strip club in October 2006. Tinsley and another Pacers player, Marquis Daniels, face a Jan. 14 trial on charges stemming from a bar fight nearly a year ago.
In the latest incident, Tinsley's group had arrived at the "Cloud 9" club in a Mercedes, a Rolls Royce and a Dodge Charger, all owned by Tinsley. Thompson said a group gathered around the Rolls Royce and gave Tinsley a hard time about his cars and his earnings.

After leaving the club, the group realized after leaving the club that a car and a pickup truck were following them, Thompson said, adding there were at least two people in the truck and four in the car.
Instead of going home, Tinsley's group pulled into the Conrad Hotel parking lot, where someone in the pursuing vehicles opened fire with a .223 caliber assault rifle, spraying bullets on the hotel, Tinsley's cars and nearby buildings.

Pacers trainer Joey Qatato was struck in both elbows as he sat with Tinsley in the Rolls Royce, which was hit by several bullets, as was the Charger. The 48-year-old Qatato was taken to Methodist Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Following the shooting at the hotel, Tinsley's brother, James, was part of a group that chased the shooter in one of Jamaal Tinsley's vehicles.
James Tinsley, who also has a gun permit, fired his 9 millimeter handgun during the chase but hasn't been charged because the incident is still under investigation, Thompson said. Jamaal Tinsley did not participate in the chase.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Unclebuck
12-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Read Kravitz column for some interesting comments from some of the Colts players about having a security guard. It doesn't solve everything

bellisimo
12-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Jamaal Tinsley's latest off-the-court trouble has convinced the Pacers forward to heed his team's advice and hire a security guard.

Since when did Tinsley turned into a forward?

Hicks
12-16-2007, 10:51 AM
"Pacers Forward"

:wtf:

Shade
12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
"Pacers Forward"

ESPN FTW! :loser:

JayRedd
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM

I liked this part too.

After leaving the club, the group realized after leaving the club that a car and a pickup truck were following them, Thompson said

wooolus
12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
"Pacers Forward"

Rick Car. wrote this!! Eddie Gill is just not enough

OnlyPacersLeft
12-16-2007, 01:05 PM
you ever seen JO's security? i could probably beat him up. LOL

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Yikes. So rather than look at how he might change some things to avoid getting in trouble he hires a security guard?

There are guys in Indy - in any large metro area - tougher than most, if not all, security guards.

Security will scare off the wannabee tough guys but the REAL tough guys - the guys who just don't give a **** - will go after them. And sometimes folks get security and consider it an excuse to act like an *******, which can get you in even more trouble.

I'd like to think of this as a good thing but considering Tinsley has somehow had some extremely poor outcomes to conflicts he's been involved in - like going to trial for a felony or having people chase him halfway across town to shoot at him - I'm not particularly encouraged.

BlueNGold
12-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Yikes. So rather than look at how he might change some things to avoid getting in trouble he hires a security guard?

There are guys in Indy - in any large metro area - tougher than most, if not all, security guards.

Security will scare off the wannabee tough guys but the REAL tough guys - the guys who just don't give a **** - will go after them. And sometimes folks get security and consider it an excuse to act like an *******, which can get you in even more trouble.

I'd like to think of this as a good thing but considering Tinsley has somehow had some extremely poor outcomes to conflicts he's been involved in - like going to trial for a felony or having people chase him halfway across town to shoot at him - I'm not particularly encouraged.

I like the idea of a security guard for him, but that's only helpful to protect him from a drunk or someone annoying.

The people he's running into on the west side of Indy with assault rifles willing to open fire in downtown Indianapolis are not the typical drunk that will be stopped by a security guard. ...and you know if they are bold and stupid enough to do that in front of the Conrad, they are not going to be afraid to go back out on the town. ...so, yes, change is absolutely needed or we may read be reading a far darker story in the paper.

able
12-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I like the idea of a security guard for him, but that's only helpful to protect him from a drunk or someone annoying.

The people he's running into on the west side of Indy with assault rifles willing to open fire in downtown Indianapolis are not the typical drunk that will be stopped by a security guard. ...and you know if they are bold and stupid enough to do that in front of the Conrad, they are not going to be afraid to go back out on the town. ...so, yes, change is absolutely needed or we may read be reading a far darker story in the paper.

How about making the town safer and a place where you do not have to fear for someone shooting at you with an assault rifle ?

How about condemning the idiots who chose to shoot at people for whatever petty reason they can find, instead of those going about their own business.
How about giving a young athlete the right to live his life as he wants, and condeming the people who are trying to prevent that ?

You are trying to tell us all, in the same line of the press around Indiana, that Tinsley has had 3 incidents in 14 months, NONSENSE!

First incident? Stephen Jackson, there were a number of other players present, they all thugs too?
Second incident? again, Daniels present and indicted, and what is the case?
None, politics, politics and politics, No proof whatsoever of JT's involvement, except hearsay, and 1 guy "saying" so.

If that had been you, cops wouldn;t have even bothered to write a report.

And here you are making it a Capital Crime.

Third incident? some nitwit, or group of real thugs, decides to hassle a man who drives a Rolls, tell him to visit London, he'd be busy for the rest of his natural life, and then when the owner of the Rolls decides to take the best route, i.e. get out of there, that same thug that was already waiting on re-inforcement called for after an earlier incident somewhere, decides to follow the Rolls with his posse, because he wants JT to "party" with him, JT takes a detour and gets hosed from an AK47 but Tinsley is at fault (for wearing the short skirt)

The logic you use is scary, outright scary.

Clean the town up if you feel that strong, but start with the real thugs before you decide to run hard working honest people out of town.

Or is that to dangerous ?

BlueNGold
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
How about making the town safer and a place where you do not have to fear for someone shooting at you with an assault rifle ?

How about condemning the idiots who chose to shoot at people for whatever petty reason they can find, instead of those going about their own business.
How about giving a young athlete the right to live his life as he wants, and condeming the people who are trying to prevent that ?

...snip...

The logic you use is scary, outright scary.

Clean the town up if you feel that strong, but start with the real thugs before you decide to run hard working honest people out of town.

Or is that to dangerous ?

Cleaning up the town needs to happen. I agree that's far more important than anything related to Pacer basketball.

However, whether you agree he has a string of incidents, the logic is not scary. It's merely practical and may be the only thing that keeps him alive. He doesn't have time for the city to become safe before he takes a bullet. I know in your world we might be able to flip a switch and make that change....but that's not reality.

Sorry if reality gets in the way and has to be considered for his safety.

BTW, whether it's Jackson or Tinsley, some of us will never agree whether the way they go about their business is part of the problem. That's not what I'm arguing here because I know that falls on deaf ears....so this is not about calling Tinsley a thug or criticizing his lifestyle.

But the truth cannot be denied. Tinsley has to make better decisions. He knows it and has said so. JOb has said the same thing.

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Parts of the town are very safe.

Jamal Tinsley chooses not to hang out in those parts of town.

If he wants to party where rough people hang out, then rough things may happen to him.

I'm not disagreeing about cleaning up Indy - it's part of the reason why the mayor lost to a complete unknown - but I don't know of a metro area of over a million people where there won't be some bad sections of town. Tinsley needs to keep himself out of those sections of town.

jeffg-body
12-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Security guard or professional babysitter? I know there are some very rough places on the westside of Indy, but I am in the category of stay away from that area if you don't want trouble. Remember the security guard may not look like a bodybuilder, but if he is an excellent marksman it wouldn't matter.

bellisimo
12-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Security guard or professional babysitter? I know there are some very rough places on the westside of Indy, but I am in the category of stay away from that area if you don't want trouble. Remember the security guard may not look like a bodybuilder, but if he is an excellent marksman it wouldn't matter.

I could see a hollywood popcorn movie in there somewhere....

Naptown_Seth
12-18-2007, 12:17 AM
I could see a hollywood popcorn movie in there somewhere....Based on his track record Tinsley does "Die Hard". :D

I mean seriously the dude was part of a horrible arena brawl (including his valiant dustpan defense), a brawl/shooting/hit-n-run, another bar brawl, and then an assault rifle shooting. Throw in a couple of hard fouls during games and this guy has dodged more danger than McClane, at least in the first hour of the film. ;)

I sense a new avy coming on.

"Come to to Cloud 9. We'll get together. Have a few laughs."
and of course
"Yippi Ki...I mean, AND ONE, MFer"

BoomBaby31
12-18-2007, 01:07 AM

When the story was just breaking, ESPN commetators kept calling him "Jerome Tinsley" three different times throughout the day. lol

Elgin56
12-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Cleaning up the town needs to happen. I agree that's far more important than anything related to Pacer basketball.

However, whether you agree he has a string of incidents, the logic is not scary. It's merely practical and may be the only thing that keeps him alive. He doesn't have time for the city to become safe before he takes a bullet. I know in your world we might be able to flip a switch and make that change....but that's not reality.

Sorry if reality gets in the way and has to be considered for his safety.

BTW, whether it's Jackson or Tinsley, some of us will never agree whether the way they go about their business is part of the problem. That's not what I'm arguing here because I know that falls on deaf ears....so this is not about calling Tinsley a thug or criticizing his lifestyle.

But the truth cannot be denied. Tinsley has to make better decisions. He knows it and has said so. JOb has said the same thing.

FWIW, I agree with you and some here want to blame the messenger instead of actually facing reality.

DisplacedKnick
12-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I sense a new avy coming on.

"Come to to Cloud 9. We'll get together. Have a few laughs."
and of course
"Yippi Ki...I mean, AND ONE, MFer"

:applaud: :rotflmao:

RWB
12-18-2007, 09:00 AM
One point missed is very subtle in nature and the real reason hiring a security person does work most of the time.

It simply takes the blame off the player and places the anger on the security person. Let's say I'm a security guy and you're asking for an autograph from someone like Manning. Manning decides he doesn't want to deal with it then it's the security guys responsibility to take the heat for it. This is done simply by giving the impression the security guy controls what is taking place and the player has no choice. In other words I would simply say "No Peyton you are behind schedule you've got to go" or come up with a thousand other excuses to get him out of there. When the person get's upset they get upset with security because they're the ones that denied the request and not the player. It is important the player comes out looking like a nice guy who is just following orders.

Naptown_Seth
12-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Sorta RWB, but I think we all know that this is the situation and some people will still blame Tinsley for sending his thugs after them to cover for himself. Probably the wrong types will be the most likely to see it that way.

And let's remember that these guys had perhaps been waiting for him and been in trouble earlier. They'd called backup with big guns. For all we know the guard stays with the car and is shot trying to get them to move on before JT even comes out.

That's what must stay at the front of this story, Tins ran into some people with a very skewed view of how the world should work. It might be "gangsta" or whatever, something that makes sense in that logic, but that doesn't make it acceptable nor does it mean that it can be reasoned with in a healthy way.

It's like if Sharon Tate just had a security guard everything would have been fine. Thing is, Charlie Don't Surf.

I'm not saying it's wrong to get security, I'm just saying it's not the end-all solution and as the Colts players mentioned it can actually have an adverse affect in some circumstances.

Dr. Goldfoot
12-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Nice Sharon Tate/ Charlie Don't Surf references you fearless vampire killer.

Major Cold
12-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Jason Williams, Ray Lewis, Snoop Dog.......