PDA

View Full Version : Mother nature and her continuing dominance

ajbry
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, so I have only one class on Thursdays, it's American Politics and it's at 12:30. The school is about an hour a half away and I commute (crazy, yes, but I stacked for my schedule for three days). I leave at 10:30 to get there early as I usually do (which is nothing compared to what I do on Mondays and Wednesdays).

Alright, so we're supposed to have a review for the exam and finish up discussing bureaucracy. Thrilling, nah. Worth going, very much so.

So with the impending storm ARRIVING AT 4:00 - as the weathercasters told us - I figured I would be golden, as class gets out at 2:20 and I would be in my driveway when it started snowing.

But my professor walks in at 12:30 with his jacket still on (he lives about the same distance away as I do, in the opposite direction) and says school has been cancelled. Needless to say I'm pissed but relieved it gives me a bonafide stress-free ride home.

Unfortunately, the snow literally starts coming down from the skies above literally the second I step outside. About a minute later and the flurries turn to legitimate snow, covering everything quickly. I rush to my car and wait 10 minutes to get off campus (usually it takes less than a minute because everything is concentrated tightly). Then I wait about a half hour on a road that leads me to the highway.

By the time I get to the highway the roads are just awful, the visibility is non-existent, and to make matters exponentially worse - everyone is there. (There were reports in the Boston tunnels of people LEAVING their cars after waiting approximately 3 hours.) I end up stopping 4 times to clear my windshield wipers which are now torn to shreds. I had to spend 30 dollars on gas today simply because of the amount of heat (defroster) I absolutely needed to use.

It took me a little less than 6 hours to arrive home after undoubtedly the worst driving experience I've ever had and might remain that way.

The worst part is that it was all for naught. If I had stayed home and assumed class would be cancelled due to the impending storm (although I'd definitely be taking a chance considering the weather reports indicated I should've been fine).

Anyone else in New England who dealt with this bull**** today?

Lord Helmet
12-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, so I have only one class on Thursdays, it's American Politics and it's at 12:30. The school is about an hour a half away and I commute (crazy, yes, but I stacked for my schedule for three days). I leave at 10:30 to get there early as I usually do (which is nothing compared to what I do on Mondays and Wednesdays).

Alright, so we're supposed to have a review for the exam and finish up discussing bureaucracy. Thrilling, nah. Worth going, very much so.

So with the impending storm ARRIVING AT 4:00 - as the weathercasters told us - I figured I would be golden, as class gets out at 2:20 and I would be in my driveway when it started snowing.

But my professor walks in at 12:30 with his jacket still on (he lives about the same distance away as I do, in the opposite direction) and says school has been cancelled. Needless to say I'm pissed but relieved it gives me a bonafide stress-free ride home.

Unfortunately, the snow literally starts coming down from the skies above literally the second I step outside. About a minute later and the flurries turn to legitimate snow, covering everything quickly. I rush to my car and wait 10 minutes to get off campus (usually it takes less than a minute because everything is concentrated tightly). Then I wait about a half hour on a road that leads me to the highway.

By the time I get to the highway the roads are just awful, the visibility is non-existent, and to make matters exponentially worse - everyone is there. (There were reports in the Boston tunnels of people LEAVING their cars after waiting approximately 3 hours.) I end up stopping 4 times to clear my windshield wipers which are now torn to shreds. I had to spend 30 dollars on gas today simply because of the amount of heat (defroster) I absolutely needed to use.

It took me a little less than 6 hours to arrive home after undoubtedly the worst driving experience I've ever had and might remain that way.

The worst part is that it was all for naught. If I had stayed home and assumed class would be cancelled due to the impending storm (although I'd definitely be taking a chance considering the weather reports indicated I should've been fine).

Anyone else in New England who dealt with this bull**** today?
That ****ing sucks. Only thing I've seen of it was on ESPN they had a reporter in the snow and it was coming down really hard. I'm feeling for you man, that looked bad.

I'm just waiting for our first legitimate snow storm, we'd probably have had one already if it wasn't so warm than normal.

Trader Joe
12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
An hour and a half commute? You're nuts.

ajbry
12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
An hour and a half commute? You're nuts.

Yeah, trying to save money (although buying gas all the time feels counterproductive in that regard) before law school.

I'm transferring to UMass in the spring, it's only a 40-minute commute which is nothing.

LouisvilleLip
12-13-2007, 09:45 PM
pussy

ajbry
12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
pussy

I'm sure you were all comfortable playing poker and ****.

I literally hate driving on this particular highway after all the stuff that I've had to deal with on it (and with my car) in the past 3 months.

LouisvilleLip
12-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Sry

ajbry
12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Sry

I hope you're apologizing for still not sending me a certain shirt of a certain rap legend.

LouisvilleLip
12-13-2007, 09:58 PM
laf i wore it today

Trader Joe
12-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, trying to save money (although buying gas all the time feels counterproductive in that regard) before law school.

I'm transferring to UMass in the spring, it's only a 40-minute commute which is nothing.

Just out of curiosity how much gas do you spend per week and what would housing on your campus cost you?

ajbry
12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
It can fluctuate from $40-60 per week, but usually it's right around $50.

I ain't sure of the exact cost, but I'm pretty sure it's a little under $4,000 per semester to live there.

Trader Joe
12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Well then you're probably making the right decision.

obnoxiousmodesty
12-14-2007, 12:17 AM
We're supposed to be receiving some snow in Indiana on Saturday, but it'll be nothing compared to the near-blizzard conditions the northeast will experience on Sunday. The Patriots/Jets game will be fun to watch just for the weather.