PDA

View Full Version : C.O.Y. so far

pianoman
12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Who has been the most impressive coach so far?

Trader Joe
12-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Stan.
Obie gets some credit, but the Magic have exceeded everyone's expectations at this point.

Kstat
12-10-2007, 06:20 PM
SVG gets my vote, but Obie is right there at a close #2.

AesopRockOn
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Lol at Adelman, he's doing the opposite. That team isn't in the playoffs. Van Gundy definitely gets some credit but I've haven't seen too much about what he does as a coach. I just don't know enough about the Magic compared to last year. I think Jordan, Popovich, Scott, and (because they're 17-2) Rivers deserve some mention. I would give it to OB right now even though I don't think he has done too much in-game coaching so far; the record compared to what "experts" picked speaks volumes though. Couple of pennies.

avoidingtheclowns
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
i'd have to say obie. mainly because stan got a new starter added to the mix. obie has used essentially the same starting 5. to me that indicates more of a coaching impact.

Unclebuck
12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Can I vote for Jeff Van gundy. Adelman just shows how good JVG really is.

Seriously though, right now I would vote for SVG.

But I think Doc Rivers, should be mentioned as a candidate

Young
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I think that it has to be Stan right now.

I have Jim at number 2. If we can stay above .500 maybe Jim moves up.

Doc also has done a great job. Of course he has more talent to work for, veteran stars, it's no easy task.

TheDon
12-11-2007, 12:41 AM
I couldn't in good conscience vote anybody but SVG with the record they have RIGHT NOW. However like most of you had said I have JOB at a very close 2 and with Magic losing against us and now the Hawks and pacers looking like they're improving...could be JOB at end of year.

Oneal07
12-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Doc Rivers!!! Tremendous Job!!! SVG still hasn't shown me what Orlando can do. . .I still think Orlando is going to fall. Watch their record at the All-star break, bet you they will be almost .500

skyfire
12-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Kevin Garnett

Hicks
12-11-2007, 01:38 AM
We were picked by most to be last or second to last in the east. Jim O'Brien.

rexnom
12-11-2007, 04:46 AM
Can I vote for Jeff Van gundy. Adelman just shows how good JVG really is.

Seriously though, right now I would vote for SVG.

But I think Doc Rivers, should be mentioned as a candidate
Doc Rivers? Really? I don't know how much you've been watching the Celts, but it's general consensus around Boston that the Celts are winning not because of Doc but despite Doc. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure you could coach this team to at least 50 wins. If you guys liked the end of quarter plays that we ran under Rick, you would LOVE the end of quarter plays Doc runs. Also, he's wearing out the Big Three - especially Ray Allen, who all Celt fans are worried as heck about. I know it may seem like this is overdone, but this is becoming a serious problem. Doc is in there just because his team is doing well but I don't think he would get any first-place votes.

Unclebuck
12-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Doc Rivers? Really? I don't know how much you've been watching the Celts, but it's general consensus around Boston that the Celts are winning not because of Doc but despite Doc. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure you could coach this team to at least 50 wins. If you guys liked the end of quarter plays that we ran under Rick, you would LOVE the end of quarter plays Doc runs. Also, he's wearing out the Big Three - especially Ray Allen, who all Celt fans are worried as heck about. I know it may seem like this is overdone, but this is becoming a serious problem. Doc is in there just because his team is doing well but I don't think he would get any first-place votes.

They are one of the leading defensive teams in the NBA, so yes I give Doc a lot of credit . Defense isn't a result of talent, defense is a result of good coaching. And yes I know Tom Thibideau is in the charge of the defense, but I can't vote for him

OnlyPacersLeft
12-11-2007, 08:23 AM
dare i say it...Obie!!!!!!!!!!
no one expected us to be even competitive on a nightly basis. What was the stupid article in the sentinel that said "Expect jermaine o'neal to demand a trade by dec"
yeah right buddy...
and rivers? get out of here. he won it back in 2000 with the underachieving magic team that went 41-41...but coaching a team with those stars isn't hard. I could win with that team!

LoneGranger33
12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I think Jerry Sloan has been doing a great job in Utah (except for those last 3 games - ouch!), and I do not look forward at all to the day he leaves that organization. Unfortunately, we cannot give him the award based on past achievement (but he should have taken it home last year).

Portland is doing surprisingly well, standing at 8-12 in the powerful west ain't bad for a young team without it's #1 pick. And as much as I'm impressed with Orlando's start, (as people have pointed out) they tend to do that and I'm not sure Van Gundy can take the credit there either.

If Indiana can win 45 or more games, I think Coach O'Brien is worthy of the trophy. Right now though, it's hard to tell...

NPFII
12-11-2007, 10:26 AM
COY goes to the coach who's team makes the most improvement from last year - that gives it semi-automatically to Doc. From worst record in the league to best record is gonna make him COY and Ainge EOY.

And both of them owe it to a guy called Kevin McHale.

SVG is doing great in Orlando, but they were a playoff team last year. JOB is doing ok, but Indy was almost .500 last season. No match compared to Doc.

All that doesn't change the fact that the best coaches in the league are still Popovich and Sloan.

AB1077
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I voted for JOB, because he has took the same team essentially from last year and turned it around and is not heading in the right direction. Orlando made the huge signing of Rashard Lewis. Granted, they did lose Hill and Darko but still I think the play of the Pacers has been more impressive to this point from a expectation/reality point of view. Only time will tell if the Pacers can continue on this upward trend and whether the Magic can keep up the pace.

avoidingtheclowns
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I think Jerry Sloan has been doing a great job in Utah (except for those last 3 games - ouch!), and I do not look forward at all to the day he leaves that organization. Unfortunately, we cannot give him the award based on past achievement (but he should have taken it home last year).

Portland is doing surprisingly well, standing at 8-12 in the powerful west ain't bad for a young team without it's #1 pick. And as much as I'm impressed with Orlando's start, (as people have pointed out) they tend to do that and I'm not sure Van Gundy can take the credit there either.

If Indiana can win 45 or more games, I think Coach O'Brien is worthy of the trophy. Right now though, it's hard to tell...

WELCOME BACK BUCKAROO!!!

Naptown_Seth
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I voted SVG right now. Keep in mind though that in the summer I set the mark at something like 45 wins to get JOB the COY and my smart a** walking around with a sign saying so (I think the fish costume was added on by others).

Honestly I think that's going to happen now.

Also, from Marc Stein's latest edition of the power rankings:

More justification that Indy, at the season's quarter pole, is a clear-cut No. 1 in the Showing Us Up rankings.
We aren't the only ones noticing, that's for certain.

AB1077
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I voted SVG right now. Keep in mind though that in the summer I set the mark at something like 45 wins to get JOB the COY and my smart a** walking around with a sign saying so (I think the fish costume was added on by others).

You need to walk with the sign regardless of the COY if we win 45 games. I won't join in with you, but I would come and see that!

rexnom
12-11-2007, 01:04 PM
They are one of the leading defensive teams in the NBA, so yes I give Doc a lot of credit . Defense isn't a result of talent, defense is a result of good coaching. And yes I know Tom Thibideau is in the charge of the defense, but I can't vote for him
I stand by my statement for the reasons you mentioned. Also, when you bring a guy like KG on board, who leads the team defense and provides such intensity, the defense usually gets a pretty big boost.