PDA

View Full Version : Officiating isn't in the top 10 list of reasons why we lost game 5

Slick Pinkham
05-31-2004, 08:30 AM
1) They failed to contain Detroit guard Richard Hamilton until it was too late.

2) They failed to move the ball, just forced it into the defense with 1-on-on-one moves and got 13 shots swatted.

3) They shot 33 percent from the field, and their starters combined to hit 14-of-50 shots.

4) They fell in love with the 3-pointer, and hit just 4-of-21 3-pointers.

5) They were badly outhustled and had a deer-in-the-headlights look that I guess we should have expected from a team with virtually all of its best players under 26 years of age, before their prime, and having no experience at this level.

6) They couldnít get the ball to the scorers. Bad knee or not, Jermaine O'Neal has to be getting more than 10 shots. Fred Jones hits 2 threes in the second quarter to even the game and wants the ball the next few possessions. He never gets it. Reggie comes in for himÖ more on this later.

7) For long stretches of time, Reggie was the least effective player on the floor. In the final 3 1/2 minutes of the half, Miller: missed a 3-pointer; was called for an offensive foul by official Steve Javie for kicking out his leg on a 3-point attempt; got beat by Hamilton for a baseline jumper; fouled Hamilton on a driving shot that was converted to a three-point play; was called for stepping out of bounds while attempting a shot from the corner; was called for a technical foul by Javie for protesting during a 20-second timeout; missed 1-of-2 free throws; and had his fast-break layup attempt blocked.

8) The effort Al Harrington gives in 5 minute bursts is not matched by anyone else on the floor. He needs to play that way for 30 minutes a game, not 2 five minute bursts, and if he does that then we need to milk him for every point we can.

9) This offense does not work without a healthy Jamaal Tinsley and an aggressive Jermaine OíNeal. Anthony Johnson has been a very good backup, and the dropoff is actually less than I would have ever imagined, but it is still enough to make winning unlikely. These guys are not going to be anywhere near 100%, so others will have to play way over their heads for us to have a chance.

10) Someone remind me, Ron Artest is an all-star, right? Rip Hamilton is not, right? I canít let Ron escape blame. On offense he is still not playing smart.

Fire away. They were some isolated calls I wanted us to get, but officiating was not a factor in my eyes tonight.

TheSauceMaster
05-31-2004, 08:54 AM
You got me speechless man and I don't see why you take Fred Jones out who was 5-8 and 3-4 from 3 point land 3 rebs 1 steal and 2 blocked shots , it's a shame he got yanked to put miller back in who was a gift for the pistons , I bet Larry Brown was smiling after the game.

When Ron was on Rip did Rip even score a single point ? I know Rip was scoreless in the 4th till reggie came back in and tried to play D on him.

PistonsDynasty
05-31-2004, 09:35 AM
You got me speechless man and I don't see why you take Fred Jones out who was 5-8 and 3-4 from 3 point land 3 rebs 1 steal and 2 blocked shots , it's a shame he got yanked to put miller back in who was a gift for the pistons , I bet Larry Brown was smiling after the game.

When Ron was on Rip did Rip even score a single point ? I know Rip was scoreless in the 4th till reggie came back in and tried to play D on him.

To be honest it doesn't seem like Rip was looking for the ball in the 4th. Every play went into Sheed and his did his thing one-on-one. Also Rip had atleast a 3 minute break in the 4th on the bench.

sweabs
05-31-2004, 09:37 AM

To be honest it doesn't seem like Rip was looking for the ball in the 4th. Every play went into Sheed and his did his thing one-on-one. Also Rip had atleast a 3 minute break in the 4th on the bench.

Rip couldn't do anything with the ball in the 4th. Ron shut him down. Rip was receiving the ball up near the 3 point line...and there is no way he can take Ron 1 on 1.

Slick Pinkham
05-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Ron did shut Rip down. Of course by then he already had 30 points through 3 quarters on Reggie (mostly) and Fred.

Reggie's D was miserable, and all this whining about officiating is silly.

SycamoreKen
05-31-2004, 08:42 PM
I'll jsut say that I agree with the first post and that the refs did not cost us this game. Man we really dogged it.