PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Tinsley - All-Star?

FlavaDave
12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Jamaal Tinsley might live up to the Jamaal-Star nickname.

Amongst Eastern Conference Point Guards, he is currently:

3rd in assists
2nd in rebounding
1st in steals
4th in scoring

Those seem to be the categories that people look at for All-Star PGs. Those are surprising numbers. But even more surprising is this:

He is the only Eastern Conference PG to be in the top five in all four categories.

Tinsley needs three things to be an All-Star:

1) Coaches need to overlook shooting percentages.

2) Tinsley needs to keep up the pace.

3) The East coach needs to pick three PGs for the squad (since Kidd and Billups are locks).

It's not a certainty by any stretch, but it's not out of the question. Number three is going to be the biggest hurdle.

But if Kidd or Billups get injured, Tinsley has a shot. Wow, what a turnaround.

Well, so far.

jeffg-body
12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I think he deserves an All Star spot for his play this year. I think more realistically would be most improved player, but he may be challenged by Dun for that honor.

Mushmouth
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
hell, if he was steve nash he'd win MVP with those numbers

avoidingtheclowns
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I think he deserves an All Star spot for his play this year. I think more realistically would be most improved player, but he may be challenged by Dun for that honor.

or maybe dwight howard

Kstat
12-06-2007, 05:06 PM
3) The East coach needs to pick three PGs for the squad (since Kidd and Billups are locks).

Nobody says you have to send three PGs.

There's very little chance Tinsley is getting in.

Roaming Gnome
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM

I think that is what FlavaDave was saying...

It's not a certainty by any stretch, but it's not out of the question. Number three is going to be the biggest hurdle.

Anthem
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Not without an amazing upgrade in Tinsley's performance... he'd have to absolutely dominate the entire conference for the next few months. There are too many good shooting guards.

I'd be happier if he DIDN'T get in, actually... don't want the ego to mess with his play.

Kstat
12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Here are your 9 locks at this point:

Howard
KG
LeBron
Wade
Kidd
Billups
Bosh
Allen
Pierce

That leaves 3 spots open: here are the candidates:

Josh Smith
Michael Redd
Emeka Okafor
Gerald Wallace
Rashard Lewis
Antawn Jamison
Tayshaun Prince
Richard Jefferson
Caron Butler
Danny Granger
Jamaal Tinsley

Unless the Pacers suddenly rise to to th #4 spot in the east, I don't see Tinsley having a ghost of a chance.

rexnom
12-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Howard
KG
LeBron
Wade
Kidd
Billups
Bosh
Allen
Pierce

Josh Smith
Michael Redd
Emeka Okafor
Gerald Wallace
Rashard Lewis
Antawn Jamison
Tayshaun Prince
Richard Jefferson
Caron Butler
Danny Granger
Jamaal Tinsley

Unless the Pacers suddenly rise to to th #4 spot in the east, I don't see Tinsley having a ghost of a chance.
I could see the Pacers having the 4th best record in the East by then. That's not unfathomable. The key is, of all the candidates, JT is the only PG. If Kidd or Billups are injured and the coaches really wanted to bring in another PG as opposed to SG, it could happen.

Stretch, though.

Kstat
12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I could see the Pacers having the 4th best record in the East by then. That's not unfathomable. The key is, of all the candidates, JT is the only PG. If Kidd or Billups are injured and the coaches really wanted to bring in another PG as opposed to SG, it could happen.

Stretch, though.

Problem is, you're counting on someone getting hurt rather than Tinsley's actual performance. That screams "unfathomable" to me.

Ragnar
12-06-2007, 05:45 PM
All star is how you did last year not how you are doing this year. Well and how well you did in the Sprite commercial.

If the Pacers make some noise in the playoffs he could end up there next year.

rexnom
12-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Problem is, you're counting on someone getting hurt rather than Tinsley's actual performance. That screams "unfathomable" to me.
Yup.

BlueNGold
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
All Star? LOL. Nice stats you have.

Maybe we need to trade him since he's so valuable. Just off the top of my head, here are the EC slackers we should be able to obtain for Jamaal-star:

JKidd
Billups
Hinrich
Arenas
Mo Williams

JayRedd
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Howard
KG
LeBron
Wade
Kidd
Billups
Bosh
Allen
Pierce

Josh Smith
Michael Redd
Emeka Okafor
Gerald Wallace
Rashard Lewis
Antawn Jamison
Tayshaun Prince
Richard Jefferson
Caron Butler
Danny Granger
Jamaal Tinsley

It's also hard to imagine New Orleans without Shaq.

Other notables you left out are Vince (would be a first if he doesn't go), Luol (turning it around), Igoudala (18/6/5), Big Z (13 double doubles) and Zebo (19/11 including 9 double doubles in 14 games).

And don't sell your boy Rip short. He's got a much better shot than Tinsley on name recognition alone, IMO. He's also leading your boys in scoring.

There's also JO, I suppose, with an outside shot if he keeps up these numbers through December.

Kstat
12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
It's also hard to imagine New Orleans without Shaq.

Other notables you left out are Vince (would be a first if he doesn't go), Luol (turning it around), Igoudala (18/6/5), Big Z (13 double doubles) and Zebo (19/11 including 9 double doubles in 14 games).

And don't sell your boy Rip short. He's got a much better shot than Tinsley on name recognition alone, IMO. He's also leading your boys in scoring.

There's also JO, I suppose, with an outside shot if he keeps up these numbers through December.

No way Vince gets in, unless the Nets go on a huge tear. Jefferson is by far and away having a better season, even if the coaches decide to take a 2nd Nets player.

Much as I love Rip, 17 5 and 4 on sub-%50 shooting is not going to get you an all-star bid. Tayshaun prince has much, much better chance, given his defense and the fact he's been scoring efficiently as hell.

No Chicago Bull is going to make this all-star team. Luol is guilty by association. Same goes for the Knicks, and any Cav not named LeBron. They've all been exposed.

Igoudala I'll give you has the numbers, but he's doing it simply because he's chucking up a lot of shots and he's still missing most of them. Not only that, he's turning the ball over at an insane rate. Doubt he gets in.

JayRedd
12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
No way Vince gets in, unless the Nets go on a huge tear. Jefferson is by far and away having a better season, even if the coaches decide to take a 2nd Nets player.

Much as I love Rip, 17 5 and 4 on sub-%50 shooting is not going to get you an all-star bid. Tayshaun prince has much, much better chance, given his defense and the fact he's been scoring efficiently as hell.

No Chicago Bull is going to make this all-star team. Luol is guilty by association. Same goes for the Knicks, and any Cav not named LeBron. They've all been exposed.

Igoudala I'll give you has the numbers, but he's doing it simply because he's chucking up a lot of shots and he's still missing most of them. Not only that, he's turning the ball over at an insane rate. Doubt he gets in.

Well the coaches don't vote for like 7 or 8 more weeks, so any of NJ, Cle or Chicago could be fine recordwise by then. Not saying they will be...just saying there's a lot of basketball to play and people forget about November pretty quick come 2008.

OnlyPacersLeft
12-06-2007, 08:18 PM
my sig prediction to start the season might come true! AWESOME!

Major Cold
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM

http://images.art.com/images/-/Jim-Carrey---Dumb-Dumber--C10102378.jpeg
---So there's a chance?!?!?!

Ransom
12-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Given the absolute craziness that happens around the NBA All Star Game, the fact that New Orleans is NOT READY for any event of that magnitude and has a huge crime rate, and the Pacers "karma" for trouble...I don't know if I want any Pacers at the All Star game.

Maybe I'm paranoid.

rexnom
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I would love Danny there. In his home town. I doubt it happens, but still...

Anthem
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Given the absolute craziness that happens around the NBA All Star Game, the fact that New Orleans is NOT READY for any event of that magnitude and has a huge crime rate, and the Pacers "karma" for trouble...I don't know if I want any Pacers at the All Star game.

Maybe I'm paranoid.
Maybe you're not paranoid enough...

http://tjic.com/?p=7883

ilive4sports
12-06-2007, 10:59 PM
http://images.art.com/images/-/Jim-Carrey---Dumb-Dumber--C10102378.jpeg
---So there's a chance?!?!?!

Haha i thought the same exact thing in the Hollingers playoff predict thread. Such a great movie.

Anyways, Tinsley may be playing at the level high enough to make the All Star game, but i doubt it happens. No one is happier than i am with his play right now, its just, hes a long shot. All Star games arent about stats for the most part.

FlavaDave
12-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I don't think he will get an All-Star spot, and I wasn't trying to argue that he would.

But I think there is logic in the case I made, and that in itself is the point. Tinsley - statistically - is in rarefied air so far this season. And the fact that this idea wasn't immediately dismissed is a testament to the level of Tinsley's play so far.

I've been as big a critic of Tinsley as the next guy, but I gotta give it up. He's been very good, I'm sure of that. Can he keep it up? I'm not as sure.

naptownmenace
12-07-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't think Kidd will be selected this year. Not unless he and NJ really turn it around. Besides, RJeff is their best player this year.

Kidd's shooting has been terrible and we have rumors that he might being trying to force a trade. If that's the case, I don't think the coaches are gonna vote him on the team.

jcouts
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
The other thing to consider is that Jason Kidd might not even be in the Eastern Conference by the time the All Star break comes around...

mike_D
12-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Tinsley is having a solid season, but I don't think its really a all star caliber season, sure the stats look good when you compare them to other pgs but thats mainly because most teams aren't getting great pg play. I believe there are other players at other positions that should get the nod over him.

That being said there is a slight chance he could be an all star if he continues that strong play and that translates to wins.I think for tinsley to be on the team we need to be a winning team (3-5 games over .500)

dlewyus
12-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I really don't give a rat's behind about all-stars, but Jamaal is really playing much better this season. If he can do that consistently for a full season I will have to change my opinion of him and eat some crow.

Hicks
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
As long as he's playing like an all-star, that's what matters.

JayRedd
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't think Kidd will be selected this year. Not unless he and NJ really turn it around. Besides, RJeff is their best player this year.

Kidd's shooting has been terrible and we have rumors that he might being trying to force a trade. If that's the case, I don't think the coaches are gonna vote him on the team.

That's crazy talk.

Jason Kidd is almost averaging a triple double. He'll be in New Orleans.

Kofi
12-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Tinsley's averaging career highs in minutes (35.3), free throw percentage (.779), steals (2.0), rebounds (4.6), and assists (8.7). He's also just .6 away from his 14.8 points per game are just .6 off of his career high. He's also slowly raising his shooting percentages, although they're still fairly bad. I'd like to see him get his field goal percentage above .400 (it's currently .398) and his free throw percentage around .800 (it's currently .779).

He's putting up 15 ppg, 9 apg, 5 rpg, 2 spg for one of the surprise teams in the league, and he's getting better every week. He's certainly is in the running for the All-Star game. Even if he doesn't make it, at his current level of play, he'll be on almost everyones list of honorable mentions.

Rajah Brown
12-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Frankly, given the heavy minutes JT is logging, the last thing he
needs is to be an All-Star and miss out on the several extra
days off during that period of time.

That said, I've been very impressed with him so far. I was never
even remotely a JT fan and always considered him a quasi-punk
(and I've been around him a couple times away from the court).
But so far, he's proving me wrong. His decision making on the
court is better than I've ever seen it. And really, that's always
been the issue with JT, not a lack of talent.

In fact, using JT and the word leadership in the same sentence
no longer seems totally preposterous...

laft
12-08-2007, 01:14 PM
While it is hard to imagine the ASG without Kidd, it's also a hard pill to swallow considering how awful of a shooter he's become as of late. As for the Tin Man, anyone else amazed when he all but disappeared in front of Hedo Turkoglu.

Naptown_Seth
12-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Of all the Pacers he is the most deserving, but I don't see it happening. He doesn't have the name yet, he hasn't done this enough in the past. Granger probably has more notice in fact. Neither will make it.

My list of all-star possibilities is Tins, Granger, Mike and then really no one after that. Not guys that should or will, just the Pacers in order that most deserve it and are even the slightest bit worth mentioning. JO is nowhere near it right now, but in the next 10 games he could change that I suppose.

As long as he's playing like an all-star, that's what matters.
Yep.

Naptown_Seth
12-08-2007, 01:35 PM

In response to the blogger saying he'd put a wall up around NO to keep the crazies in...
"The wall is probably a good idea (certainly the people of Houston would support that idea) but it would probably mean that we’d have to send Snake Pliskin in to save Emeril."
:brilliant

The Snake thing is obvious, but going in for Emeril was a nice twist. :D

JayRedd
12-08-2007, 04:54 PM

That's horrible.

While it is hard to imagine the ASG without Kidd, it's also a hard pill to swallow considering how awful of a shooter he's become as of late.

What?

He's shooting 45% from three in December. And he's 42.1% overall this month.

He was struggling early, but he was being forced to do more than he normally would since Vince was in an out of the lineup and Nenad was giving them next to nothing. That's not his game and it showed some.

For the year, he's only a few percentage points below his career averages. And just watching him shoot threes, he looks the same as ever to me.

Suaveness
12-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Well, at this point, we ARE tied for the 4th best record in the East, amazingly enough...

Evan_The_Dude
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I think Tinsley officially deserves the mention. His numbers and his impact just keep increasing with every game. His shooting numbers have taken a huge jump in the past 4-5 games.

Kofi
12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Stat - Average - Rank Amongst East PGs
PPG - 14.7 - 3rd
APG - 8.6 - 2nd
RPG - 4.5 - 2nd
SPG - 2.05 - 1st
BPG - .23 - 3rd

His shooting percentages, while still below average, are slowly on the rise. Right now Kidd is heads and shoulders above every other point guard in the East, with Tinsley and Billups fighting for the next two slots.

rexnom
12-13-2007, 01:37 PM
If Tinsley can keep it up, he'll be up there, no question. Especially if we can get above .500. Big if though.

The Hustler
12-14-2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.nba.com/features/ballot_east_guards_071211.html

Well, there's absolutely no chance of him being voted in by fans! Kidd, Vince, Wade, Allen etc. will all get a lot more vote, but by coaches he isn't a million miles away!

Although, the chance was slim, and is now even slimmer with the "incident". But many of those other options arn't without problems!

EDIT: Link is too show the top East Guards sorted only by stats (PRA)! Jamaal is in there at 8.

Jamaal Tinsley (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley/index.html), Indiana
Averages: 14.6 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 8.7 APG; Total PRA: 27.8
Breakdown: Tinsley's healthy and pass-happy, dropping a career-high average in dimes thus far; it's the first time he's dished out more than eight assists per since his rookie season ('01-02). His rebounding is up and he's stalking the passing lanes as a defender (2.0 steals).

Robertmto
12-14-2007, 06:50 PM
All Star? LOL. Nice stats you have.

Maybe we need to trade him since he's so valuable. Just off the top of my head, here are the EC slackers we should be able to obtain for Jamaal-star:

JKidd
Billups
Hinrich
Arenas
Mo Williams

Tell me you're joking

BlueNGold
12-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Tell me you're joking

Tell me you're joking.

...back to reality.

Clearly none of those teams would take Jamaal without also getting other assets...particularly when he's only been playing really, really good for a very short time period. In fact, most of the first 10 games he played really bad. Some of those guys have played better than he is even right now...for years. You gotta be JKidding me.

Many, many guards have hot stretches and are just not allstar material. Check back at the end of the year, and if he has like 15-10-10 going, he should open some eyes.

Kofi
12-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Jamaal just keeps getting better and better. His numbers are slowly rising, as are his shooting percentages. I think he deserves an All-Star bid at this point.

J. Tinsley
J. Kidd
C. Billups
M. Redd
D. Wade
J. Johnson
D. Howard
C. Butler
K. Garnett
P. Pierce
L. James
R. Jefferson
C. Bosh

Right now, 12 of those 13 would likely be your All-Star team. Jamaal and Jefferson are probably last man out at this point. Right now the Nets are 3 games under .500 and I can't see a team doing that badly getting multiple players into the All-Star game. Not to mention Jamaal is putting up betters numbers all-around. Right now I'd have Jamaal squeaking in as the 12th man.