PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game Thread: Pacers beat Clippers 101-95!

Anthem
12-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Not much to say, seeing as nobody could watch the game. Suxors.

Jermaine sounded decent... 20/15 and, more importantly, no turnovers. A sign of a player not forcing things. He also played center for most of the second half. Still not crazy about the shot distribution, but it's a start. Sounded like he made a lot of quick moves, which makes me happy. Also he had one dunk that Mark and slick were raving about... went up in traffic, grabbed a rebound one-handed, and windmill-dunked it over somebody (Kaman?). Hopefully the vertical is coming back.

Foster didn't play in the second half... tweaked back?

Shawne and Murphy were both 2 for 8, except that Shawne managed to get 9 rebounds and Murphy got 4. Glass eater indeed.

Tinsley. Say no more.

bellisimo
12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
good to finish the trip 3-1!
great job by Mark and Slick yet again.
besides that - no comment...

Lord Helmet
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I love not being able to watch games!

Glad we got the win and seemed to shake off the pathetic Seattle loss.

Should have been 4-0 on the trip, but I'll take 3-1.

Trader Joe
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/Jamaal_Tinsley.jpg

The team leader. Oh and he's clutch.

TheDon
Anyone else pumped to see JT vs. Nash matchup? I can't wait

aero
I tuned into the game late, how did O'Neal play today ?

He still isn't at 100% is he ?

ilive4sports
12-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I know its only one game, but doesnt this go to show that maybe its not time to ship JO out? Against Seattle he played well and today played very well. Hes starting to get healthy and adjust to the system. Give him some time before trading him.

dohman
12-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Very glad tinsley got back into his game. I am sad he didnt get to his 10 assist game once again but I will take a few of his points considering how he played last game.

dohman
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I know its only one game, but doesnt this go to show that maybe its not time to ship JO out? Against Seattle he played well and today played very well. Hes starting to get healthy and adjust to the system. Give him some time before trading him.

His rebounding and defense are enough not to ship him out. He just needs to pratice with the team and learn to play within the system and let his shots come to him. I have been a JO performer and I blew up last game when I seen the way he was playing. I with I could of seen this game to see his movement and the teams movement when he was in.

Once again its not how well he plays. It is how the TEAM plays when he is in. Tonight it looks like he worked for the team. We really need a player of his caliber down low.

bellisimo
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
this just made me appreciate TV that much more!

TheDon
12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I tuned into the game late, how did O'Neal play today ?

He still isn't at 100% is he ?

If he's not healthy than things are definately looking up for us he had 20 points 15 rebounds tonight.

Doddage
12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Damn Tins and JO filled it up! Please keep playing like this JO, if we're going to keep you.

Tom White
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
I tuned into the game late

aero, I noticed in the game thread that you were having trouble listening to the game. Your Location says Indianapolis. Can you not pick up WIBC?

aero
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
my radio sucks when it comes to picking up AM stations. I have a better shot at hearing the game online.

Tom White
12-02-2007, 06:18 PM
...maybe its not time to ship JO out? Against Seattle he played well...

Speaking of which, what became of his supposed shoulder injury during the Sonics game? I did not hear any mention of it during today's game or in the game thread.

Shade
12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Nice win. Looks like Tins and JO tore 'em tonight. :)

Anthem
12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Speaking of which, what became of his supposed shoulder injury during the Sonics game? I did not hear any mention of it during today's game or in the game thread.
Didn't seem to be bothering him. Can't say, past that. Maybe Mr. Boyle will stop in this evening.

Seemed odd that he only got 2 assists... I thought I heard "X scores off the pass from JO" several times during the game.

d_c
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Anyone else pumped to see JT vs. Nash matchup? I can't wait

Don't be surprised if they try to "hide" Nash on defense by putting him on Dunleavy.

That's what they used to do against the Warriors all the time.

JayRedd
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Despite his poor shooting, it looks like Granger was pretty active defensively. He had 3 steals and 3 blocks.

aceace
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Tinsley is having his best season by far.. he was good during the 61 win season but now he is producing in the clutch and finding people, 6th in the league in assists. If he could get his shooting percentage up he could be an all star... In other NBA news Tim Duncan got hurt today (ankle,knee) MRI tomorrow. Didn't sound serious though.

I'm happy for JO, you could tell he was frustrated in Seattle. Nice road trip Pacers. I will take 3-1 on any west coast trip any day. Sounds as though our defense in the 4th won this.

Hicks
12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Still too early for me to change my tune, but I like what I (heard) from Tinsley and Jermaine today. Good trip to end it 3-1.

gummy
12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Get on over to pacers.com and watch the highlights of the game:

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/recaps/recap08_244_indlac.asx&video=&nbasite=pacers

It's like being on drugs (or so I've heard ;)) while watching the game. If you get to it before they put real audio to it you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hoop
12-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm happy we actually won a game with JO playing a lot of minutes. Love the 15 boards and no turnovers, still not very happy with his 7-18 shooting, awful for a big guy.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Wow, Tinsley was super clutch. He even came through on some Treys inside of 2 minutes O.o wow! Ok, I've been a trade Tin kind of guy over the past two years, but the way he's been playing, I'm starting to eat some crow. I guess this new system is really a good thing for Tins.

I'm glad we won the game with JO playing... Everyone needed that one.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-02-2007, 08:06 PM

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/recaps/recap08_244_indlac.asx&video=&nbasite=pacers

It's like being on drugs (or so I've heard ;)) while watching the game. If you get to it before they put real audio to it you'll know what I'm talking about.

OMG that's funny. Was nice to see JO get that dunk too.
Nice to get some revenge on the Paperclips!

Pacerized
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Great win. Nice to see J.O. have an impact game.
I wonder why Kaman seems to have his way with us. Not to take anything from him, he's having an all star year, but not as good as he plays against us. It seems like we just can't box him out. I'm sure Foster being limited in both games was a factor. I'm impressed with his development as a player. When the Clippers gave him his contract I thought they were overpaying. Now he's starting to look like a bargain.

imawhat
12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Glad I went to the game today. Lucked out on some great seats too.

First off, I must say, Tinsley was awesome. Flat out, he single-handedly won the game. This is about the best I've seen him play since his 20 assist game vs. Wizards, Thanksgiving night, rookie season. Honestly, it was his defense in the second half that helped us stay in the game. Aside from his three steals he had several deflections that took the Clippers out of any rhythm they were forming. And he only took 2 bad shots the entire game. He looked like he wasn't feeling well, but he put a lot of effort into the game today, and without his play they would've lost by quite a few. He did get a technical, but to his defense the refs really missed a foul call which caused the turnover.

The team was as loose during the pre-game as I've seen since '97-'98. I knew they were going to come out hot and they did. But more importantly, after playing poorly, they really tightened up at the end and made some key shots.

Jermaine looked really good. I was surprised to see O'Brien stick with him the entire 4th quarter after talking about monitoring his minutes. I'm glad he did though; his knee looks completely fine. I think he'll be in the 20/10 category now for a while. My only complaint was that he was lazy on defense. I counted at least 3 plays where Kaman/Aaron Williams got great post position because Jermaine wasn't making an effort to push them out. Maybe it was his conditioning because they were all in the 2nd half.

Troy Murphy, what can I say? I was hoping they'd eject him for the flagrant foul, because O'Brien wasn't going take him out. He did not deserve to be out there. Then again, Foster, JO, and Harrison were close to foul trouble so he had little choice (except moving Shawne to the 4, like he did to start the third). I'm really interested to see what will happen when Ike gets back.

Foster looked like he was having back spasms all day. He tried to play, and he was okay, but not great. He's also done something defensively to get under O'Brien's skin in two consecutive games.

There's not a lot else to talk about. O'Neal's post threat got Tinsley a LOT of open looks, and for whatever reason they never closed out on him. I think that's the big advantage you get with O'Neal in on offense. We had three other shooters out there, not including Tinsley, so one of them was going to get an open look (or Jermaine was going to have single coverage). I'll post pics later.

heywoode
12-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Tinsley!

Man, have I really enjoyed his play lately...This is the Jamaal that I've always hoped would come around. I hope the coaching change is the catalyst for his change in attitude/play. Keep it going JT!

Sounds like JO had a solid game. 20 pts, 15 rebs. is plently for him to contribute. Not sure how many blocked shots he had or how much he helped the defense, especially inside. I hope he can continue to rehab and get healthy. I have often said lately that I'm ready to move him, but I would be more than happy to eat my words and say I was wrong.

Back to .500, just in time to play the Suns...YIKES!

Anthem
12-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Here's an interesting exercise. Go count how many of the Clips highlights have Jermaine in them, then how many of ours have Jermaine.

According to the highlights, the Clips didn't score with Jermaine in the game, and the Pacers barely scored without him. :D

Doesn't mean anything (too small a sample size), but it's interesting that the Clips best possessions come with Jermaine not in the game.

imawhat
12-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm not a photographer, nor do I have a good camera, but here are some pics from the game (mostly pre and post, action shots didn't turn out well):

View from the seats
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2460.jpg

pregame warmups

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2463.jpg

Guys having a good time, Troy Murphy with the same look on his face that I had from watching him play
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2469.jpg

Diener, having a good time

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2472.jpg

Mel Mel the Abuser, looking for a pre-game assist (Diener was wide open)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2474.jpg

Nice stat line for Tinman (no fouls too, which is impressive given how agressive he was)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2481.jpg

Dunleavy putting the game on ice

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DiverseMusicians/IMG_2482.jpg

Young
12-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Well great to get a win. Impressive to finish the road trip 3-1 and get back to .500.

Tinsley really shot the ball well. All in all he had a real good game. 29 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, and just 3 turnovers.

Jermaine had a great game. 20 and 15. But i'm not going to change how I feel that we need to deal him. He is still injury prone. No matter how well he plays he will still have the tag of being injury prone and you can't shake that label off after a good game.

Mike Dunleavy's numbers don't really pop out at you but he had a nice game. Shot the ball well scoring 17 points.

Danny didn't put up many points, just 10. He didn't get a lot of shot attempts. I think the thing that I don't really like is 0 free throw attempts. That has to change. I think we need Danny getting to the line about as much as anyone.

Hopefully we can get a nice stretch of wins going here. Get above .500 and have something to really build on.

Will Galen
12-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks Ima!

JayRedd
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM

That was very little like being on drugs.

That JO follow dunk was sorta sick.

OnlyPacersLeft
12-02-2007, 10:02 PM
damn no highlights or nothing...this sucks. JO 20 and 15? double double!? wow...he must be coming along nicely now. I noticed we scored 32 in the first quarter then let the clips outscore us badly in the 2nd. We got a huge win...and imagine we could have gone 4-0 on this trip if just would have taken care of business at seattle...
wow we are coming along nicely...500. record i'll take right now.

Shack80
12-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks Imawhat, those are not bad. Photography in those conditions is not easy especially with a point and shoot camera ( I am assuming you aren't using a dSLR).

Unclebuck
12-02-2007, 10:31 PM
3-1 on west coast trip - and I don't care who you are playing - is a very good roadtrip. And I don't care how good of a team you are, 3-1 is very good.

I listened to most of the game and the pacers were down 88-84, and then Tinsley took over offensively, but more than that the Clippers stopped scoring - of course not seeing the game I have no idea if the pacers defense was really good or if the Clips self-destructed.
I was a little disappointed that Mark or Slick didn't mention the defense during that stretch.

The other significant thing
was Shawne played pretty much the whole second half

Reckoner
12-02-2007, 10:46 PM
The other significant thing
was Shawne played pretty much the whole second half

To get him and the team prepared for a much bigger role vs Phoenix ? I can't see Murphy playing a lot of minutes.

Anthem
12-02-2007, 10:54 PM
To get him and the team prepared for a much bigger role vs Phoenix ? I can't see Murphy playing a lot of minutes.
Seemed like Tinsley played the whole second half too.

How long can this go on?

Peck
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Seemed like Tinsley played the whole second half too.

How long can this go on?

Not very.

TheDon
12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Anybody know what exactly what our options are as far as adding pg depth so tinsley doesn't die 30 games into the season from playing 40 minutes a game? Is Chucky Atkins still available in memphis? seemed like he was being shopped around an awful lot last season. We need someone who is serviceable and attainable....GO

heywoode
12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for posting the photos, ima!

It's really cool to see shots from other venues; I wish I had a chance to see the Pacers on the road from time to time...

mb221
12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Some good quotes from JO in the recap article on ESPN.com.

"Obviously, my knee has been a concern over the last two months, and I've been struggling to make moves, make shots, rebound and block shots," O'Neal said. "The Seattle game was actually the first time I didn't have pain in my knee in almost a year and a half, and today I didn't have any pain in my knee at all."My shoulder was about 85 percent," O'Neal added. "We iced it a lot yesterday, I took some Advil, iced it again this morning and was ready to go."

Infinite MAN_force
12-02-2007, 11:50 PM

"Obviously, my knee has been a concern over the last two months, and I've been struggling to make moves, make shots, rebound and block shots," O'Neal said. "The Seattle game was actually the first time I didn't have pain in my knee in almost a year and a half, and today I didn't have any pain in my knee at all."My shoulder was about 85 percent," O'Neal added. "We iced it a lot yesterday, I took some Advil, iced it again this morning and was ready to go."

notice his rebounding being up in correlation with this... double double in seattle and 15 rebounds tonight... keep in mind that is 15 rebounds in only 28 minutes. It looks like he really may be coming back into form.

OnlyPacersLeft
12-02-2007, 11:59 PM
why did JO switch back to wearing the 2 little arm bands instead of the forearm band with his name on it? hmmm...another fine?lol

Reckoner
12-03-2007, 12:01 AM

I'm naturally suspicious when I hear players talk about injuries, because they always seem way to optimistic but that would be great news if he can put those troubles behind him.

Oneal07
12-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Glad to see the Pacers won. . .I forgot there was a game on today. . . I guess it was the snow

Naptown_Seth
12-03-2007, 02:56 AM
:onozomg:
That great stat about how the Pacers never win when JO plays more than 26 minutes just got tanked.

The Tinsley breakdown watch continues, though I'd love to think that any injury issues are in the past for him and that 40 a night will be okay at his age.

rexnom
12-03-2007, 03:06 AM
:onozomg:
That great stat about how the Pacers never win when JO plays more than 26 minutes just got tanked.

The Tinsley breakdown watch continues, though I'd love to think that any injury issues are in the past for him and that 40 a night will be okay at his age.
I don't disagree with you but shouldn't we wait for a couple of games before jumping on this?

avoidingtheclowns
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't disagree with you but shouldn't we wait for a couple of games before jumping on this?

no, one game proves it... like the 1 loss to the cavs proved we desperately needed JO. you must be unfamiliar with the tao of seth.

Anthem
12-03-2007, 12:45 PM
no, one game proves it... like the 1 loss to the cavs proved we desperately needed JO. you must be unfamiliar with the tao of seth.
It's hard to judge a game that I only listened to, and didn't actually see. That being said, while one game can't PROVE anything, it can DISPROVE the idea that Jermaine can't exist in this offense.

I personally think that he'll actually improve over the next few weeks. I don't care how many points he scores, provided he does it efficiently, but I expect his passing to improve as he gets more used to playing with the guys in this system. And I expect his scoring effectiveness to improve as he gets used to Obie's quick-hitting attack.

gummy
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
That was very little like being on drugs.

That JO follow dunk was sorta sick.

I suppose by the time you watched the video had the proper NBA TV voice-over instead of the static, phone dialing, four people talking at once fun.

Kofi
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I would say I'd like to see Jermaine shoot over 50% for once, but he'd have to get to 40% first. It's truly pathetic for a front court player to be shooting the percentages he shoots. It's by far his biggest flaw and what's preventing him from becoming a true franchise player.

CableKC
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
It's hard to judge a game that I only listened to, and didn't actually see. That being said, while one game can't PROVE anything, it can DISPROVE the idea that Jermaine can't exist in this offense.

I personally think that he'll actually improve over the next few weeks. I don't care how many points he scores, provided he does it efficiently, but I expect his passing to improve as he gets more used to playing with the guys in this system. And I expect his scoring effectiveness to improve as he gets used to Obie's quick-hitting attack.
This is what I am hoping for.....for JONeal to become more efficient as his injuries beging to subside. I would love for us to have an efficient Big Man Frontline with JONeal, Foster, Harrison and Ike playing the majority of the PF/C minutes.

JayRedd
12-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I suppose by the time you watched the video had the proper NBA TV voice-over instead of the static, phone dialing, four people talking at once fun.

No...it indeed still had all those things going on when I saw it.

My drugs must just be better than yours.

avoidingtheclowns
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM

i think we need a bigger sample size of games with JO healthy and contributing at the same level for anything definitive. i don't think one game tells us much of anything. we finally won a game last season after a long losing streak, did that mean we had suddenly clicked and were going to make the playoffs?

i'm not saying he won't or can't. i'm just saying lets 'walsh' it up... wait and see.

Anthem
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
i think we need a bigger sample size of games with JO healthy and contributing at the same level for anything definitive. i don't think one game tells us much of anything. we finally won a game last season after a long losing streak, did that mean we had suddenly clicked and were going to make the playoffs?

i'm not saying he won't or can't. i'm just saying lets 'walsh' it up... wait and see.
Definitely need a bigger sample to see whether JO *WILL* be a positive offensive force for us this year, but I think the game shows that it's at least possible for Jermaine to be effective in Obie's system.

But I'm fine waiting, because I think my theories will be borne out. But then I'm also fine with trading Jermaine (and in fact I probably lean that way). But that's different from saying JO is worthless and won't ever be able to compete.

avoidingtheclowns
12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Definitely need a bigger sample to see whether JO *WILL* be a positive offensive force for us this year, but I think the game shows that it's at least possible for Jermaine to be effective in Obie's system.

But I'm fine waiting, because I think my theories will be borne out. But then I'm also fine with trading Jermaine (and in fact I probably lean that way). But that's different from saying JO is worthless and won't ever be able to compete.

i assume you're not talking about me anymore...

i've certainly never said that or felt that way about JO, i just have wondered if in the long run his skill set and offensive tendencies do more to help or hurt the team. right now the greater sample size indicates hurt. but he hasn't been 100% healthy. for the most part it seems that the movement stops when JO is in the game and gets the ball -- not as much as last season but still it isn't good if it continues.

but to restate: i'm fairly confident that JO will return to his form of the last few years. what i'm unclear about is whether that is best for this offense.

Anthem
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
i assume you're not talking about me anymore...
Nope, just a general statement. Sorry about that.

i've certainly never said that or felt that way about JO, i just have wondered if in the long run his skill set and offensive tendencies do more to help or hurt the team. right now the greater sample size indicates hurt. but he hasn't been 100% healthy. for the most part it seems that the movement stops when JO is in the game and gets the ball -- not as much as last season but still it isn't good if it continues.

but to restate: i'm fairly confident that JO will return to his form of the last few years. what i'm unclear about is whether that is best for this offense.
And even if it *IS* best for this offense, what then? It's hard to see us having the pieces in place to win a championship with him here, so even though I like Jermaine a lot and think he can fit in well with Obie's system, it seems like we're not really going to be a contender while Jermaine's in his prime (next 4 years).

I'd just as soon send him somewhere good, if it gets us some decent pieces in return.

gummy
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
No...it indeed still had all those things going on when I saw it.

My drugs must just be better than yours.

haha. I suppose that's possible, though it's more likely that I simply exaggerated. :o