PDA

View Full Version : One on One With Earl The Pearl Monroe

Mr. Pink
12-01-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.nba.com//monroe_interview_071201.html

Sitting at work bored..reading through the questions and came across this one.

After four in a half seasons in Baltimore, how difficult was it for you to leave and why did you leave?

Monroe: It was tough leaving Baltimore because I always loved Baltimore. I loved the city, I loved the guys I played with, and it was very, very tough to leave. My agent at the time, Larry Fleisher, had talked to the Bullets the year that we lost in the NBA championship and they had come up with some kind of situation where they were going to trade me. Well, they asked me to come up with some places that I would be traded to. I gave them three teams, which were Philadelphia, which was where I was from, Chicago and L.A. because they were all big cities. As it turned out, I stopped playing and Archie Clarke did the same thing for the same game, so they thought we were trying to pull a Koufax and Drysdale holdout. But basically it was to force a trade. Looking back on it, I didn’t really want to go but I was being led so to speak.

Then I went to Indiana to look at the Pacers and maybe I was going to go play there. I saw those guys pulling guns out of their locker and I called Larry and said, ‘This isn’t the place for me.’ He said, ‘Well, I’ve got a deal on the table with the Knicks.’ I kind of rebuffed that and said, ‘No, they’re out mortal enemies, I can’t do that.’

We started talking more and he said, ‘Come to New York and we’ll talk about it.’ On my way from Baltimore to New York, I stopped at home in Philadelphia and talked with Sonny Hill. We talked about what the implications would be in terms of being able to sustain being a Knick. I said, ‘Well, if this is the case, I’m a basketball player and I can do it either with the Knicks or whoever I had to do it with.’ That’s how it all went down.

WHAT?? Who were the players at that time? I just thought it was interesting that we had a chance(however big that was) of getting The Pearl, and we lost it cause some guys had guns in thier lockers...crazy.

Isaac
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
At the time we had the big 4 of Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, George McGinnis and Freddie Lewis.

gilpdawg
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Those gun stories are legendary from those ABA days. IIRC, Mel was the ringleader of the gun group. They just liked carrying guns around.

King Tuts Tomb
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Read Terry Pluto's book "Loose Balls" for all the hilarious details (also read it because there's a chapter titled "The Indiana Pacers: The Celtics of the ABA"). All the guys were obsessed with westerns and cowboys so they bought six shooters and would run around the arena pretend shooting each other. I think I remember them buying cowboy outfits and horses as well.

It was about laughs and fun, not violence, although I do remember the coaches and staff wondering if the guns were loaded.

EDIT: Bob Netolicky was also a big part of the cowboy business as well.

Isaac
12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Read Terry Pluto's book "Loose Balls" for all the hilarious details (also read it because there's a chapter titled "The Indiana Pacers: The Celtics of the ABA"). All the guys were obsessed with westerns and cowboys so they bought six shooters and would run around the arena pretend shooting each other. I think I remember them buying cowboy outfits and horses as well.

It was about laughs and fun, not violence, although I do remember the coaches and staff wondering if the guns were loaded.

EDIT: Bob Netolicky was also a big part of the cowboy business as well.

That is seriously the greatest and funniest thing I've ever heard. I just called my dad to tell him about this.

King Tuts Tomb
12-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Here's the Amazon link for Loose Balls (it's only 6 bucks to buy used!):

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-Balls-Terry-Pluto/dp/0671749218

I encourage everyone who is a basketball fan to read this book. It's made up completely of interviews with the people who were in the ABA, and just about everyone important makes an appearance: Dr J, George Mikan, Bob Costas, Brent Barry, Pat Boone (yes, Pat Boone!), and all the owners and GMs who made up the league.

Some of it is just unbelievable, like I truly can't believe that it would happen in a professional basketball league (Bob Costas tells a particularly hilarious story about a fight between a mascot, an owner and a dwarf. I was in tears I was laughing so hard). But beyond the funny anecdotes there is a legitimate history of how professional basketball has evolved over the last thirty years. And it's also the best source for understanding the formation of the Indiana Pacers and why we were one of the four ABA teams to make the jump to the NBA.