PDA

View Full Version : Let's Parse the Dunleavey quote.

McKeyFan
11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
"What was going through my mind was, Im a Christian, I go to church and God may not be a Pacer fan, but he gives us fairness and he was going to come through," Dunleavy said with a smile.

This quote is just too darn interesting, unique, and a bit strange not to discuss. :cool:

I'm guessing some guys have shyed away from it cuz it's an awkward subject.

My comments:

- First, I didn't know Dunleavy was an outspoken Christian type (or is he? the quote might have been sarcastic.) That really adds to the milk-drinking persona, does it not? Kind of funny, really.

- Did anyone see him give the quote? Was it on camera or just to a reporter? My guess is the entire quote was tongue in cheek, laughing about his bad luck when he does all the right things.

- Has there been anything else written about Dunleavey's faith?

- If Dun gets arrested at a strip joint, it will REALLY be complicated.

:goodevil:

Dr. Goldfoot
11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I think he was being sarcastic.

jeffg-body
11-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I think it was just one of those things people say when they are not having the best of luck. I don't think he'll be toting a Bible to the games anytime soon.

Unclebuck
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't know what his beliefs are. I think he was just joking around

MagicRat
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
He let fly a string of profanities just after the game was over, so he may have some explaining to do this Sunday......

JayRedd
11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
He's clearly joking. God bleeds Pacer blue.

Anthem
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Not to be Theology Police, but his quote isn't exactly the kind of thing I'd expect somebody sincere about their faith to say. So I took "I'm a Christian" to be "I believe in God. I went to church when I was little. I'm an American."

Funny thing is that I joked at the time that we wouldn't have blinked if he'd said "I believe in karma" even thought that's a religious belief (and wouldn't apply here, in pretty much the same way). And then he went and SAID karma the next time around.

Just ironic.

JayRedd
11-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Funny thing is that I joked at the time that we wouldn't have blinked if he'd said "I believe in karma" even thought that's a religious belief (and wouldn't apply here, in pretty much the same way). And then he went and SAID karma the next time around.

Just ironic.

I noticed that too. You may be a prophet.

McKeyFan
11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
He let fly a string of profanities just after the game was over, so he may have some explaining to do this Sunday......

That makes a little more sense. I hadn't heard anything about him being a poster child for Christianity.

Rajah Brown
11-30-2007, 11:14 AM
As far as I'm concerned, God will always be wearing an old-school,
ABA-days, Pacer jersey #35.

And he puts a serious hurtin' on Willie Wise in the pickup games
'upstairs'...!

Major Cold
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
God has better things to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCNo_voO2l4</EMBED></OBJECT< p>

Raoul Duke
11-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Well I know he does go to church because he goes to the same one as me. He's catholic.

andreialta
11-30-2007, 12:08 PM
well he went to a Jesuit high school i think in Oregon so yah! haha

more or less, the quote was just sarcasm, he does this when he is pissed

did this with the warriors. but just can't seem to find the quotes! haha

blanket
11-30-2007, 12:27 PM
http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/_borders/3000158.jpg

"Get that weak ****** outta here!"

Gyron
11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
lol, I saw this in that link that Intri posted above....

I had forgotten about this one....

Edit: Removed since it offended some.....

McKeyFan
11-30-2007, 01:57 PM
lol, I saw this in that link that Intri posted above....

I had forgotten about this one....

Hmmmmmm . . . .

JayRedd
11-30-2007, 02:11 PM
zKDC2iBQTYg

Naptown_Seth
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
He's clearly joking. God bleeds Pacer blue.
Check your Nietzsche, God is dead and it's shown since Reggie had his layup blocked.

Now baby Jesus, tiny infant Jesus...well those diapers are blue and golden fleece all the way. :D

Anthem
11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
well those diapers are blue and golden fleece all the way.
Makes sense... it's felt like we were getting crapped on for a while.

McKeyFan
11-30-2007, 05:27 PM
zKDC2iBQTYg

I just email blasted that clip to most of my friends.

Extremely funny.

tora tora
11-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Am I the only Christian member of Pacers Digest? Unbelievable....

reiter883r
11-30-2007, 09:07 PM

Nope. You are not alone...

NuffSaid
11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't think he was joking around at all. I think he was serious.

I watched the game and throughout it seemed every call went the Nuggets' way. Now, I posted in the other Pacers' message board near the end of the game when the Pacers were up by 6 or so points that the Nuggets would start jacking up 3-pters and play "hack-a-Pacer" to cut the lead and possibly steal the win. So, it didn't surprise me to see the game get very close even with the game clock ticking down below 24 seconds. But that foul against Dun w/6 tics left...

The replay clearly showed Dun never touched the guy. Moreover, the body contact the refs did call was so mild, so slight. They hadn't made that call all game and there were plenty of moments were the perimeter defender from both side were damned near colliding w/the opposing shooter, and yet the refs never blew the whistle - not once! And then suddenly with the game on the line they decide to make the call on whimpy, if not questionable, contact? Give me a break! :mad: :rolleyes:

I don't blame Dun for feeling nor thinking that way. Justice, whether by the refs or divine intervention, had to prevail. I'm proud to say the God Dun and I both worship came through. :)

McKeyFan
11-30-2007, 11:02 PM

What would make you say that?

tora tora
11-30-2007, 11:10 PM
What would make you say that?

Those youtube clips aint funny.

McKeyFan
11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Those youtube clips aint funny.

I didn't care for the first one. I do think the second one is appropriate satire on many Christian people.

But I don't think liking either clip makes you a non-Christian.

:whoknows:

tora tora
11-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I didn't care for the first one. I do think the second one is appropriate satire on many Christian people.

After the first one? Anyone who finds that funny obviously doesn't take Christianity seriously.

Major Cold
12-01-2007, 12:19 AM
The first one is a parody of what people think Christians are. They were made by a church. The others were inappropriate.

Ephesians 5:4

King Tuts Tomb
12-01-2007, 12:37 AM
-The New England Patriots are undefeated.

-Dane Cook is a successful movie star.

-George Bush has been president for 7 years.

There is no God.

TMJ31
12-01-2007, 03:28 AM

Nope- I'm with you too bro!

:)

TMJ31
12-01-2007, 03:34 AM

I agree with you McKeyFan:

I personally found the "I will survive" thing to be really stupid... Not only as a Christian, because it could be taken quite offensively... But I just thought the premise was dumb...

I think the Will Ferrell Clip is hilarious however, because it is satirizing certain groups of Christians who actually feel and act that way. It is making fun of the PEOPLE who don't take Christianity seriously, NOT Christ himself like the first video.

That is the key difference... Point blank disrespect to God or Jesus of course I am offended by, but making fun of people who have a odd view of their religion is not necessarily the same thing...

Hope that makes sense...

efx
12-01-2007, 03:36 AM
-The New England Patriots are undefeated.

-Dane Cook is a successful movie star.

-George Bush has been president for 7 years.

There is no God.

QFT.

While I've never been a religious person, I find well done comedy funny regardless of what it chooses as it subject.

So, here's my favorite one.
96tAoFg_xuA

Gyron
12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
If I offended some by the posting the I will survive thing, I apoligize. It was not my intent. I just found the clip comical.....I will remove it.

McKeyFan
12-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Point blank disrespect to God or Jesus of course I am offended by, but making fun of people who have a odd view of their religion is not necessarily the same thing...

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for the post, TMJ. Good thoughts.

I think what I am most trying to communicate is your point above that I quoted. You were offended, but you didn't jump to conclusions. "Christians" are all too quick to call people non-Christians or worse when they should show restraint.

I appreciate the outrage others have articulated. I have a little too. (Not as much. The clip looks like something I could have done when I was a kid.) But our righteous passions can easily lead to other, possibly worse sins.

The maker/poster of this "I will survive" clip may have 1. been dumb 2. offended people 3. Had a bad Christian hair day 4. Fell into sin for a time 5. Acted out of immaturity 6. Lots of other things.

Call it any of those things and do it robustly. Great. Those accusations are all very different than questioning whether someone is a Christian. That's too deep a judgment for such little information. Heck, some would say only God has that kind of info.

P. S. We've already learned the poster of the clip has a conscience and is pulling it. Let's not damn him just yet.