PDA

View Full Version : Will Foster opt out at years end? (likely)

aceace
11-28-2007, 07:00 PM
I was on Hoopshype and noticed Jeff makes 6.2 next year. He can opt out at seasons end, which I most likely think he will. Maybe not for a big raise but more than likely the security a new long term contract brings. 6.2M is probably about the norm for a guy that puts up his stats in 27 minutes a game. Maybe a little under paid because he plays good-azz defense, plus he's a class act. No one ever questions his loyalty and play on here. Do we sign him long term, do a sign and trade or free up cap space for Ike,Danny and Shawne.

CableKC
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
What type of FA rights do we have on him?

If he opts out....is he counted as a RFA where we can match anything he gets?

or

If he opts out...is he a UFA?

aceace
11-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Unrestricted because he is no longer under a rookie contract. Pacer management has some thinking to do.

Will Galen
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Jeff's a free agent in '09.

aceace
11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Jeff's a free agent in '09.Hoopshype says 08-09 is a player option which means he can opt out at the end of this season. I found another site that states Foster is signed through 08-09.
http://www.sportscity.com/NBA/Indiana-Pacers-Salaries

It also shows JO having a player option for his final 2 seasons, which we know is true. So maybe sportscity is a little more accurate.

Anthem
11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
If he opts out....is he counted as a RFA where we can match anything he gets?

or

If he opts out...is he a UFA?
All non-rookie contracts end with the player being a UFA. But we do have Bird rights, meaning we can match.

But he doesn't have to choose us if we do.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Man I would hate to lose Jeff Foster. Heres hoping no team is stupid enough (or smart enough depending on how you look at it) to give him an extremely good offer.

Anthem
11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Who is Will Foster? Is he any relation to Scott?

maragin
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
If Foster does go, I hope he ends up with the Spurs. He's been a hell of a player for us.

Pacerized
11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
With Foster having an opt out at the end of the season, was he eligible for an extension before the season started?
What is he 31 at the end of the season? I have little doubt we'll put an offer on the table as soon as he opts out. I wouldn't be afraid of a 4-5 year. I doubt if he'd start the contract at much more then he'll make this year.

Young
11-28-2007, 11:28 PM
If Foster does go, I hope he ends up with the Spurs. He's been a hell of a player for us.

I was just going to say I bet you Foster opts out and goes to San Antonio.

It makes too much sense. He is from there or atleast went to college around there, he works out with the Spurs over the summer, we are probably going to not want to pay him much at all even though he is worth it, Jeff wants a chance at a ring I would think, the Spurs can use another big alongside Duncan.

Unclebuck
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM
I think Foster is having his best season. And he is invaluable to this team. I am always amused how every year new players come in, new coaches come in every few years and many Pacers fans figure well Jeff won't play as much, someone will beat him out. But it never happens and he's playing as many minutes as ever

AesopRockOn
11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Any team in the league could use a player like Jeff. He put up 11 and 17 tonight. I think we're underestimating how badly off this team would be without JF. He's pure heart and effort every night. I am not willing to give him up, not even to Popovich. :devil:

sweabs
11-29-2007, 12:35 AM
I think Foster is having his best season. And he is invaluable to this team. I am always amused how every year new players come in, new coaches come in every few years and many Pacers fans figure well Jeff won't play as much, someone will beat him out. But it never happens and he's playing as many minutes as ever
I agree with everything. Especially the part about him being invaluble to this team. He always has been, but with the current system we're employing, it just makes everything work out so well. We have guys who are taking perimeter shots, and Foster just outworks everyone underneath the basket to get those guys second chance opportunities. He is so unselfish, and just willing to do exactly what is expected from him in that role. It's so hard to find guys like that...but he embraces it. I love the guy - it's real hard to find these types. I really hope we can keep him around.

LAPacer
11-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Foster is the perfect fit for Obie's system. He is a better starter at center at center than anyone we have because:

-This is a jumpshooting offense, lots of boards to grab. No one does this better on our team.

-He is a decent passer compared to JO and Murph.

-He doesn't need the ball to be effective

-You can't have 5 guys cutting and spotting up at three.

The only reason he isn't a good starter at Center for Obie is because he is a subpar shotblocker. I think his value is going up (trade value, resigning value, and value to wins for our team)

Will Galen
11-29-2007, 01:19 AM
I repeat, Foster is not a free agent at the end of the year. He doesn't have an option. Hoopshype is a poor source! Try ESPN, and RealGM.

aceace
11-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Foster may be the best garbage player ever, now he has a jump shot but I would want him shooting it at the end with time expiring. I would like him to be under the basket when someone else shoots that shot, he could easily get a win for us this year with an offensive rebound.

Moses
11-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Man I would hate to lose Jeff Foster. Heres hoping no team is stupid enough (or smart enough depending on how you look at it) to give him an extremely good offer.
There is no doubt in my mind he will get a big offer from another team. I am willing to bet he will get at least 7-8 million per. I'm not so sure he will opt out next year though...but that's just me being overly optimistic.

aceace
11-29-2007, 05:09 AM
I repeat, Foster is not a free agent at the end of the year. He doesn't have an option. Hoopshype is a poor source! Try ESPN, and RealGM.Your right Will...... everybody he's ours for another year.

Rajah Brown
11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
LA-

Agreed, he's almost the pefect '5' in O'B's system. Too bad O'B didn't come
along a couple years ago. Hope they hang on to Jeff. But we shall see.

Putnam
11-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Will Galen, thanks for making this clear. I don't know how you do it, but your posts about salary and contract issues are always the best.

BoomBaby33
11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
LA-

Agreed, he's almost the pefect '5' in O'B's system. Too bad O'B didn't come
along a couple years ago. Hope they hang on to Jeff. But we shall see.

Ditto, plus I think he has emerged as a great vocal team leader, in the absence of our "star" player. He leads by example, on the court. The Energizer Bunny keeps going and going and going! :D

My only question is his back, dont mean to jinx him, but he has had chronic back issues over the last 2-3 years. I have not heard of word of it this year. Maybe he had the same allergy as Tins did (hint: RC). :rolleyes:

Anthem
11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I said this earlier in the year and everybody beat the crap out of me. I might go back and find that thread.

OakMoses
11-29-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't want to lose Foster, and I don't know about the salary issues, but if we think there's a good chance that he's going to leave, we should make the trade that Tbird suggested in the offseason: Foster to San Antonio for Brent Barry. Barry's a good shooter, decent defender, and can play both guard positions. I'd rather have Foster, but Barry would fill some needs for us.

OTD
11-29-2007, 10:27 AM
This board never ceases to amaze me. Less than 4 months ago nearly everyone in here wanted to dump Foster. Now that there is a coach who told him he best take the shot when open, we see that he can score. I wonder this for a long time because he scored in college. The only other one who agreed me me that I remember was UB. Now everyone seems to think he is great. Except JOB last nite said that TM would probably be the starter when JO returns. Now jump on. LOL

Rinuven
11-29-2007, 10:46 AM
This board never ceases to amaze me. Less than 4 months ago nearly everyone in here wanted to dump Foster. Now that there is a coach who told him he best take the shot when open, we see that he can score. I wonder this for a long time because he scored in college. The only other one who agreed me me that I remember was UB. Now everyone seems to think he is great. Except JOB last nite said that TM would probably be the starter when JO returns. Now jump on. LOL

Fans are fickle, but I think its obvious that management recognizes Jeff's value to this team. Since his arrival he's always been mentioned as a tradeable commodity, but he's still here and for good reason.

ABADays
11-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Jeff would be a big loss for this team. He's truly been one player I felt has done everything asked of him. Any team would covet a rebounder/hustle player like him. If it did happen, I would also like to see it be with the Spurs. Do they have $ room for him?

Young
11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Jeff would be a big loss for this team. He's truly been one player I felt has done everything asked of him. Any team would covet a rebounder/hustle player like him. If it did happen, I would also like to see it be with the Spurs. Do they have $ room for him?

I think they could.

They have a lot free agents after this season. As of now I think the Spurs will have the MLE to use on Jeff, or atleast a porition of it.

Will Galen
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Will Galen, thanks for making this clear. I don't know how you do it, but your posts about salary and contract issues are always the best.

Thank you!

I'm no x and o man, so I try to contribute to this site by posting good information.

Evan_The_Dude
11-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Funny, my entire point (without even reading anything here) was to come in here and say he'd be a perfect fir for the Spurs. Then I see two other people say the same thing.