PDA

View Full Version : Team without JO

DEEman
11-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Last game was broadcasted live on tele, here in the Netherlands. It took almost one year so see a Pacers game live over here, so you can imagine how thankfull i was!

I saw a Pacer team without JO, and i liked what was shown on the television..I guess when JO comes back he will disturb the quick plays we make now. He will demand to much

My question to you guys about this is as followed: What kind of tweak would you give this team if you could change JO into another player, and for what position would he play. What kind of transfer would you make to make this even a better Jo-less team?

Unclebuck
11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
I just wish JO would be willing and able to go back to the type of player he was when the pacers first acquired him. He was a defender and a rebounder first and scored when he could. His passing has really improved, so I like that added in now, but it has reached a point where the less JO's shoots the ball the better - I want him to worry about the quality of shots not the quantity

Anthem
11-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I just wish JO would be willing and able to go back to the type of player he was when the pacers first acquired him. He was a defender and a rebounder first and scored when he could. His passing has really improved, so I like that added in now, but it has reached a point where the less JO's shoots the ball the better - I want him to worry about the quality of shots not the quantity
I think he's a much better defender than he was when he was aquired. He used to be a decent off-the-ball defender but not great at defending his man. That's all changed. I also don't think he's appreciated enough as somebody who takes a lot of charges. There's no doubt that he'd be in better shape physically if he didn't do it... that's why it's called "sacrificing your body." I don't recall him taking nearly as many when he got here.

Unclebuck
11-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I think he's a much better defender than he was when he was aquired. He used to be a decent off-the-ball defender but not great at defending his man. That's all changed. I also don't think he's appreciated enough as somebody who takes a lot of charges. There's no doubt that he'd be in better shape physically if he didn't do it... that's why it's called "sacrificing your body." I don't recall him taking nearly as many when he got here.

You're correct about that, he rarely if ever took charges. I guess my point was more about JO's mindset - I hope he has the mindset that he will defend, rebound, pass first and score when the opportunity presents itself.

I think if he takes that approach - it will help him and help the team the most

OakMoses
11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
To echo what you guys have said, I suppose I'd change him into a Tyson Chandler type of player. A guy who is a great rebounder and shot blocker, scores 10+ points a game on 50% shooting, and is athletic enough to run the floor with any big man in the league.

I'd also be quite happy to change him into a drive & kick, defensive-minded PG who can knock down the open 3.

Or a 40+% 3-pt shooting SG who was a lockdown defender.

LAPacer
11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I'd also be quite happy to change him into a drive & kick, defensive-minded PG who can knock down the open 3.

Or a 40+% 3-pt shooting SG who was a lockdown defender.

His passing skills have improved in his years as a Pacer. So maybe he'd be a better PG. :p

Speed
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
This is very interesting, I've found myself thinking the same thing. I'd be happy with him hitting the offensive boards, which he never seems to do anymore. Also, I do not care what Obie says he's not and has never been the best low post defender on the team. Now he's the best help side defender and protects the basket.

Tyson Chandler is a great example, I see him as a young Camby, which I would trade JOs healthy output for a dominant rebounding defender. Just my opinion though.

naptownmenace
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
If we could somehow give him a new pair of legs, he'd be awesome. He has some of the skinniest legs in the NBA.

How's science coming with bionics? Are they anywhere close to what they did on the new Bionic Woman TV show? :D

Arcadian
11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
After seeing JO shuffled in and out of the line up because of injury, while the team is learning a new system how can we really say how JO fits on this team right now?

I'm not opposed to trading him. But sometimes I think people make stuff up to pile on to JO. Because he is wearing down, isn't worth 20 mil, and this team isn't built to contend in the next few years are plenty of reasons to trade him without speculating how well he fits in a system he has just started to learn.

Speed
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
At this point, is there any doubt he won't Early Terminate his contract at the end of the year? His great grandchildren should kick him if he turned his back on that kind of money, however, the Pacers organization should hope he does... Strange how quickly things change.

Karmakillaz
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
JO's trade value might increase when he declines to exercise his opt out. Could make any potential trade partner a little more likely if they were only tied into a JO experiment for 1 year, while they clear massive cap room.

Then again just getting the cap room from him leaving might be just as good for us.

If he could get one more contract worth the 50-60 million dollar range it might still be worth it for him to opt out and take a pay cut for next year.

JayRedd
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM

You mean exactly like he played for the first four months of last season?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120/splits?year=2006&type=Fielding

ABADays
11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
JO's trade value might increase when he declines to exercise his opt out. Could make any potential trade partner a little more likely if they were only tied into a JO experiment for 1 year, while they clear massive cap room.

Then again just getting the cap room from him leaving might be just as good for us.

If he could get one more contract worth the 50-60 million dollar range it might still be worth it for him to opt out and take a pay cut for next year.

JOs trade value has never been lower. $50-60M for what - an 8 year deal? JO has seen the best money he will ever see and it's all downhill from here. And rather quickly too.