PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks File Protest Over Loss to Pacers

sweabs
11-25-2007, 01:34 AM
aaa

Hicks
11-25-2007, 01:39 AM
They're absolutely correct about that Murphy 3, but the rest of the bad calls (and there were plenty to be had for all) had nothing to do with it.

N8R
11-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Deal with the lose there Cuban, just cause the pacers won doesnt mean they had to super cheat.

Roaming Gnome
11-25-2007, 02:20 AM
As I mentioned to Mal during that game, there isn't a more hated team in the circle of NBA officials then the Mavricks. I'm sure keeping stats on all the league's officials and airing their dirty laundry in the past dosn't earn you too many "Brownie Delights"* from the officials.

*(Remember the whole "Dairy Queen" bit? That was a shot at the head of officials...if you remember.)

Cuban, you reap what you sew!

As far as the 3 pointer, yep...they sure missed it. The funny thing was....it wasn't like he had a foot on the line, it was clearly a mid-range shot.

Hell, "Boom Baby Corner" didn't want to recognize it....until we had to.

Trader Joe
11-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Yeah that was clearly not a three. I noticed it immediately at the game, but thought it would get corrected. I had forgotten about it though.

Lord Helmet
11-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Hey, if we're going to whine about one bad call that during a game, why not every call then?

Remember Harrison's block that was all basketball and was called a foul? Let's file a complaint against that, I'm sure Cuban and the Mavs don't care about that, though.

Speed
11-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey, if we're going to whine about one bad call that during a game, why not every call then?

Remember Harrison's block that was all basketball and was called a foul? Let's file a complaint against that, I'm sure Cuban and the Mavs don't care about that, though.

Dirk faking the push off on Jeff at the end on the baseline at a key point at the end of the game.

I like Cuban gets behind his team, but come one. I've never been one to blame a loss on officating, it gives the players an excuse to lose.

Personally I've always thought Salvatore was one of the better refs; I know folks will disagree. No one likes the refs. :) My judge of a good ref is if you don't notice them there.

indygeezer
11-25-2007, 09:10 AM
League sources have told me that the NBA has been watching for years for the appropriate time to "make-it-up" to the Pacers for a certain 4-point play. I think they just found it. A not-so visible game...but one that comes at an extreme time in the Pacers psyche...a time when we need a confidence boost, and they help us attain it.

Aren't they a grand bunch of guys??????

BoomBaby33
11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Wow, I just watched it again. That was funny - he was at least 2 feet inside the circle. I watched the officials and the 2 you could see (Violet and Bennett) did not raise both arms to indicate a 3 point basket, but the Pacers announcer immediately exclaimed "Home Run", and I think the refs just let it slip. Violet was standing right there too. Avery called a timeout immediately and walked away, not complaining.

The Mavs definitely have a beef with that call, but like others said, there were a lot of calls the Pacers could have had a beef with. Especially Hulk's block on Dirk. Nothing but smothered chicken, as Quinn said.

heywoode
11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
League sources have told me that the NBA has been watching for years for the appropriate time to "make-it-up" to the Pacers for a certain 4-point play. I think they just found it. A not-so visible game...but one that comes at an extreme time in the Pacers psyche...a time when we need a confidence boost, and they help us attain it.

Aren't they a grand bunch of guys??????

Somehow, I don't feel satisfied with the make-up.....but I like your thinking!

speakout4
11-25-2007, 10:52 AM
They're absolutely correct about that Murphy 3, but the rest of the bad calls (and there were plenty to be had for all) had nothing to do with it.
While I am not sympathetic to Cuban I support his protest because the bad calls are ruining the game. Just think that if it weren't for the FBI, Donaghy would still be throwing games which translates to the nba tolerates really bad calls by its officials. I would really like to know how long Donaghy could have gone on with that kind of officiating. Are referees such a scarce breed that the bad ones can't be replaced?

avoidingtheclowns
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
there was also dirk's shove on jeff at the end of the game that went uncalled. diop's foot was out of bounds once in front of palmer and it went uncalled. harrison's phantom foul on the block.

this **** happens. it was a poorly reffed game but it was balanced poor reffing.

Shack80
11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok so the Pacers win 110-107, everybody happy now. It was a bad call, but did not change the outcome of the game. Cuban needs to get a grip he is a joke.

Shade
11-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I didn't get to see the play in question, but as it sounds like it was pretty much indisputably the wrong call, I have no problem at all with Cuban filing the protest. NBA officiating is horrid and gets worse and worse every year. Anything that can be done to potentially improve it has my support.

Shade
11-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Wow, I just watched it again. That was funny - he was at least 2 feet inside the circle. I watched the officials and the 2 you could see (Violet and Bennett) did not raise both arms to indicate a 3 point basket, but the Pacers announcer immediately exclaimed "Home Run", and I think the refs just let it slip. Violet was standing right there too. Avery called a timeout immediately and walked away, not complaining.

The Mavs definitely have a beef with that call, but like others said, there were a lot of calls the Pacers could have had a beef with. Especially Hulk's block on Dirk. Nothing but smothered chicken, as Quinn said.

Violet Palmer is the worse official in the NBA, and that's saying a lot. She is only there because she's the token female official.

aceace
11-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty mad right now... Trophy is on one of my fantasy teams. This could have an effect on whether I win my league. The only way this game is replayed is if it were a 1 point win. This will get a ref fined at most.

Trader Joe
11-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty mad right now... Trophy is on one of my fantasy teams. This could have an effect on whether I win my league. The only way this game is replayed is if it were a 1 point win. This will get a ref fined at most.

I highly doubt anything other than an apology to the Mavs even comes of it.

SamBear
11-25-2007, 02:52 PM
FTM

Oneal07
11-25-2007, 03:46 PM
We got some bad calls last year in both games. . .especially down the stretch. . .we didn't moan and ***** about it!!!

I love watchin' the Mavs though

BoomBaby33
11-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Violet Palmer is the worse official in the NBA, and that's saying a lot. She is only there because she's the token female official.

I tend to agree. When she started, wasn't there another lady ref that started with her. Whatever happened to her?

NuffSaid
11-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Touche', pussy cat. :D

I hadn't noticed the error on the 3 pter by Murphy, but even if the officials took away 1 pt, the Pacers still would have won the game by 3 pts. Besides, it's not like the trey took place late in the game. This one happened way back in the 2nd qrt. So, it's not like taking 1 pt away for a shot that happened 15+ minutes into the game is going to make a bit of difference as far as how a team play calls late in the game.

Move on, Cuban. Accept the lose as well as the fact that there was bad officiating all around - some that went for the Mavs, some against - and move on.

Shade
11-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I tend to agree. When she started, wasn't there another lady ref that started with her. Whatever happened to her?

She was even worse, believe it not, so she was canned and Violet was retained.

Unclebuck
11-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Dee Cantor (or was it Cantner) was the the other female ref. And yes she was worse.

BoomBaby33
11-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Dee Cantor (or was it Cantner) was the the other female ref. And yes she was worse.

Ah yes, thats her. And yes, she was bad. Course thats seems to be par for half the rest of the league refs now anyway, but im sure she was an easy cut.

jeffg-body
11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, it was a 2 ball. I do have to wonder if Dirkie boy and Cuban are French?

[I]Do you want some cheese with that whine?

There were some weird calls, but the Pacers could have done the same with a few foul and non-foul calls, not to mention I thought Dirkie boy should have gotten T number 2 late in the game and joined Avery "the smile" Johnson in the locker room early to enjoy the Conseco Fieldhouse accomodations.:dance:

BoomBaby33
11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Its funny, the NBA did nothing to correct it (of course what could they do anyway - take one point away from the final score - we still beat them).

But anyway, its funny and ironic now, cause now Avery gets fined for his actions (which he should have been fined) from the same game. Maybe his fine was supposed to be $40K, but they just pro-rated it for the score mishap. :D

JayRedd
11-27-2007, 01:08 PM
The only reason this is news is because it's Cuban. I'm pretty sure most teams would file a complaint for a blattenly blown call based on a non-foul situation in the midst of play. I mean, there's 0% subjectivity in this type of call, so it's not really whining as much as pointing out an egregious error.

The real issue here is that the refs disregarded the scorer's table, who clearly saw the play was wrong and informed the officiating crew. Why would they not change it when it's that clear on the video monitors in front of them?

Like Cube's said, they just wanted to go on record as noting an incident where visual replay would obviously have led to the correct and non-judmental call...yet was simply disregarded for no apparent reason.

indygeezer
11-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Per RealGM (Gwan ya know ya got yer own link)

NBA Denies Mavericks' Game Protest
November 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The NBA today denied a game protest filed by the
Dallas Mavericks over their 111-107 loss to the Indiana Pacers on November 23.

The Mavericks filed the protest because a basket by Indiana's Troy Murphy with 9:59 remaining in the second quarter was mistakenly recorded as a 3-point field goal instead of a 2-point field goal (making the score 41-25
in Indiana's favor), and the Mavericks contended that this extra point had a clear impact on the outcome of the game.

The NBA's review confirmed that Murphy's shot was mistakenly recorded; the Official Scorer erroneously believed that one or more referees had given the signal for a 3-point field goal. In fact, no referee made such a signal, nor was any referee aware until after the game that the Official Scorer had awarded 3 points to Indiana as a result of Murphy's shot.

Although he concluded that an inadvertent error was made by the Official Scorer, NBA Commissioner David Stern determined that it did not have such a clear impact on the outcome of the game that a replay of the contest should be ordered. Murphy's shot occurred with almost 34 minutes of regulation time remaining in the game, providing Dallas with a substantial opportunity to overcome the 1-point error. Dallas lost the game by four points.

Although NBA rules would have allowed the game officials to correct the scoring error at any time prior to the end of the game, it was not brought to their attention until after the game. [READ]

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49477/20071130/nba_denies_mavericks_game_protest/

Anthem
11-30-2007, 05:07 PM
In fact, no referee made such a signal, nor was any referee aware until after the game that the Official Scorer had awarded 3 points to Indiana as a result of Murphy's shot.
That's weird. Wouldn't you think that SOMEBODY on the Dallas bench would notice such a thing? Or did they see nothing wrong with it either?

Roaming Gnome
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I know that Reb Porter isn't the official scorer, but he gets a strong assist in this mistake.

Porter (Pacers PA announcer) called the shot a "homerun" and I'm willing to speculate the official scorer just jotted down the 3 and gave the lever on the scoreboard controls an extra push just off the PA announcers call.

That is just my guess what happened since they said that the officials never signaled the 3. mal and I were at the game and thought that it was rather odd that no one from the Mavricks bench responded like a mistake was made. We clearly seen that Murph made a mid range shot. In those situations, usually the bench is going ape-***** about a mistake like that, unless they miss it also.

indygeezer
12-01-2007, 07:44 AM
I know that Reb Porter isn't the official scorer, but he gets a strong assist in this mistake.

Porter (Pacers PA announcer) called the shot a "homerun" and I'm willing to speculate the official scorer just jotted down the 3 and gave the lever on the scoreboard controls an extra push just off the PA announcers call.

That is just my guess what happened since they said that the officials never signaled the 3. mal and I were at the game and thought that it was rather odd that no one from the Mavricks bench responded like a mistake was made. We clearly seen that Murph made a mid range shot. In those situations, usually the bench is going ape-***** about a mistake like that, unless they miss it also.

The Perfect Storm of inattentiveness?!?! Does this go to prove that nobody really watches an NBA game?