PDA

View Full Version : Walsh refutes Knicks report

Shade
11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071121/SPORTS04/711210464/1088/SPORTS04

November 21, 2007

Pacers notebook
Walsh refutes report
<!-- *** MIDDLE ADS ******************************************** --><!-- INITIAL TEXT & LINKS --><!--pbs:article modified=0 published=0 header=0 title=0 tittel2=0 byline=0 summary=1 text=1 bilde=0 facts=0 useobjects=1 objectclass=2>--> <!-- INITIAL TEXT & LINKS & ARTICLE TOOLS --> By Mike Wells
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mike.wells'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/+)'); //--> </script>mike.wells@indystar.com

For someone who has taken a backseat in the team's day-to-day basketball operations, Indiana Pacers (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071121/SPORTS04/711210464/1088/SPORTS04#) CEO Donnie Walsh is still in the news around the league.
<!-- PHOTO & FACTBOX --> <!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --><!-- REMAINING TEXT -->
A report in New York said Walsh could become the Knicks' president of basketball operations next summer if former Pacers coach Isiah Thomas is fired.

Newsday reported Tuesday that someone with knowledge of the situation said Walsh would "certainly be open" to joining the Knicks with full control over the basketball operations.

"That is complete (expletive)," Walsh said Tuesday. "I would not be a candidate for that job for a lot of reasons. The major one is Isiah. I'm not doing that. Isiah is a friend of mine, and I wouldn't be a candidate for a job he's in."

Walsh, 66, who has been part of the Pacers organization for 23 years, turned over the basketball operations to team president Larry Bird over the summer. Walsh, a self-proclaimed workaholic who is respected around the league, routinely attends practices and shootarounds, but has pulled himself away from the action on the court by moving up to a suite during home games (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071121/SPORTS04/711210464/1088/SPORTS04#).

Walsh didn't rule out the possibility of leading another team. He hired agent Steve Kauffman over the summer to represent him.

"I'm committed to the Indiana Pacers for the rest of the year," Walsh said.

"I'm currently not a candidate for any job. When this year ends, then I don't know what I'm going to be doing. I can either stop or I can keep going. That's where it is."

Sounds to me like Donnie wants to continue working, just not here.

bellisimo
11-21-2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071121/SPORTS04/711210464/1088/SPORTS04

Sounds to me like Donnie wants to continue working, just not here.

nor the Knicks - *yay*

then again - it is DW we are talking about - the one who said "we're not shopping J.Rose" only to have him shipped the next day :D

Hicks
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Donnie will (rightly so) keep that stance until after Isiah is out. If/when Isiah is fired, I believe he'll be interested in the job.

Erik
11-21-2007, 08:03 PM
nor the Knicks - *yay*

then again - it is DW we are talking about - the one who said "we're not shopping J.Rose" only to have him shipped the next day :D

exactly what popped into my head as soon as i read that. i don't know exactly why, but if he were to leave i would want to see him go to the knicks most of all.

RamBo_Lamar
11-22-2007, 06:29 AM
exactly what popped into my head as soon as i read that. i don't know exactly why, but if he were to leave i would want to see him go to the knicks most of all.

Why would a Pacers fan want to see Donnie Walsh go to the Knicks, of all
teams, to try and make them better? Oh, you must not be a Pacers fan.

Screw the Knicks.

Now if he were to go to New York to run the Nets on the other hand, that
may be alot more doable, not to mention more palitable to most true Pacer
fans.

Erik
11-22-2007, 09:10 AM
i guess i just think that it would be cool to see walsh go to a "big market" franchise and turn it around with some class. if he were to just go to another small city or a "small franchise" i'd rather just see him stay here. as far as i'm concerned the whole pacer/knicks rivalry died a few years back when new players took over for both teams and the knicks hit rock bottom.

NuffSaid
11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Donnie will (rightly so) keep that stance until after Isiah is out. If/when Isiah is fired, I believe he'll be interested in the job.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

idioteque
11-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Why would a Pacers fan want to see Donnie Walsh go to the Knicks, of all
teams, to try and make them better? Oh, you must not be a Pacers fan.

Screw the Knicks.

Now if he were to go to New York to run the Nets on the other hand, that
may be alot more doable, not to mention more palitable to most true Pacer
fans.

Glad to see someone on this board has established what the parameters of what a "true" Pacers fan is. :bs:

The Pacers-Knicks rivalry is DEAD, and has been for at least 7 years. Reggie himself pronounced it as dead, therefore that's how it is.

http://espn.go.com/nba/2001/20010121/recap/indnyk.html

It wouldn't make much of a difference to me if Donnie ran the Knicks or the Nets. But I'd much rather have him run the Knicks and build them up, and have LB build the Pacers up, and have both teams be the best two in the East. What a renewed rivalry that could be!

I would contend that any Pacer fans should want both the Knicks AND the Pacers to improve, a nice rehash of the good old days!

RamBo_Lamar
11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Glad to see someone on this board has established what the parameters of what a "true" Pacers fan is. :bs:

The Pacers-Knicks rivalry is DEAD, and has been for at least 7 years. Reggie himself pronounced it as dead, therefore that's how it is.

http://espn.go.com/nba/2001/20010121/recap/indnyk.html

It wouldn't make much of a difference to me if Donnie ran the Knicks or the Nets. But I'd much rather have him run the Knicks and build them up, and have LB build the Pacers up, and have both teams be the best two in the East. What a renewed rivalry that could be!

I would contend that any Pacer fans should want both the Knicks AND the Pacers to improve, a nice rehash of the good old days!

:bs:

So the Pacers/Knicks rivalry is dead, and that is fine.....whatever.

But you can rest assured that in the minds of many long-time Pacers fans,
there is still a deep-seeded disdain for the Knicks more so than for many
other teams.

My personal disdain for the Knicks for example, I would say, borders almost
on hatered.

I do not want them to get better ever. I want them to SUCK, and want
them to LOSE, and want them to SUFFER. I would love to see them go
0-82 just to laugh at how badly they suck from top to bottom.

Once again: SCREW the Knicks, and their fans, and their organization.

bellisimo
11-23-2007, 08:26 AM
:bs:

So the Pacers/Knicks rivalry is dead, and that is fine.....whatever.

But you can rest assured that in the minds of many long-time Pacers fans,
there is still a deep-seeded disdain for the Knicks more so than for many
other teams.

My personal disdain for the Knicks for example, I would say, borders almost
on hatered.

I do not want them to get better ever. I want them to SUCK, and want
them to LOSE, and want them to SUFFER. I would love to see them go
0-82 just to laugh at how badly they suck from top to bottom.

Once again: SCREW the Knicks, and their fans, and their organization.

Having spent 10 years in NY/NJ area being a Pacers fan - I wholeheartly agree - stupid 4pt play still haunts me to this day :censored:

BillS
11-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Sorry, even if the Knicks were to collectively crawl on their knees to the Vatican to beg forgiveness for their past sins, visit every other religious leader in the world for blessings and penance, then make a trip to the homes of all basketball fans where they cleaned house, washed windows, and prepared a lovely yet healthy 3-course meal, they'd still be evil.

Evil, evil, <i>evil</i>, <b>evil</b>, <b><i>EVIL</i></b>

They are merely lying low in an attempt to lull us all into a false sense of security.

idioteque
11-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Really, guys?

I want them to be built up, I want us to be built up, so that we can throw them right off the top of the mountain.

No matter how you spin it they more or less beat us overall during the span of the last rivalry.

Don't you want revenge?

Remember, we've never beaten the Knicks to reach the NBA Finals. That needs to happen someday.

Hicks
11-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Remember, we've never beaten the Knicks to reach the NBA Finals. That needs to happen someday.

What??? If you're not kidding, check your 2000 history!

I'm satisfied with the rivalry being dead. If I recall correctly, we faced them in the playoffs 6 or 7 times and won 4 (including our last meeting). Fine by me.

grace
11-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Right not I hate the New England Patriots more than I have ever hated or could ever hate the Knicks.

Sollozzo
11-24-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm satisfied with the rivalry being dead. If I recall correctly, we faced them in the playoffs 6 or 7 times and won 4 (including our last meeting). Fine by me.

They beat us in 93, 94, and 99. We beat them in 95, 98, 00. A dead even rivalry.

Erik
11-24-2007, 09:22 AM
to me the knicks rivalry is dead, but a person has the right to hate any team they want. it just seems that if it's going to be a good rivalry the players have to be involved also. these guys today don't care about what happened in indy/new york in the 90's. seems like the pistons/pacers rivalry is only hanging on by a thread. we'll just have to wait and see what the next one's gonna be.

Hicks
11-24-2007, 11:43 AM
They beat us in 93, 94, and 99. We beat them in 95, 98, 00. A dead even rivalry.

Dead even with us giving the last and final punch to the face. :D

Bball
11-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Dead even with us giving the last and final punch to the face. :D

I dunno... that punch they got in in '99 has had lingering effects.

-Bball

Doug
11-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Forced out by Bird,
Walsh builds new Knicks dynasty.
Fieldhouse imploded.

Hicks
11-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I dunno... that punch they got in in '99 has had lingering effects.

-Bball

:rolleyes:

idioteque
11-24-2007, 01:56 PM

Just trying to bring some fire to the embers...to make you all hate the Knicks again. ;) :blush:

The feeling my gut has always been that they won more significant games. I just don't feel as satisfied with beating them in the second round of the playoffs as I do if we beat them more in the ECF.