PDA

View Full Version : I would just like to take this opportunity to say...

Shade
11-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Robertmo and I told y'all so about Shawne. ;)

Unclebuck
11-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Robertmo and I told y'all so about Shawne. ;)

Did you just hear what O'Brien said about Shawne in his post game press conference. He was pretty upset about his defense tonight.

Shade
11-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Did you just hear what O'Brien said about Shawne in his post game press conference. He was pretty upset about his defense tonight.

When your team gives up 132 points, you'd better be upset about everyone's defense.

Shawne isn't a strong defender (yet), but he's no Travis Diener. Or Jamaal Tinsley. Or Troy Murphy. Or Mike Dunleavy. Or... :sigh:

Unclebuck
11-21-2007, 12:02 AM
When your team gives up 132 points, you'd better be upset about everyone's defense.

Shawne isn't a strong defender (yet), but he's no Travis Diener. Or Jamaal Tinsley. Or Troy Murphy. Or Mike Dunleavy. Or... :sigh:

he has the talent to be a pretty good defender - he just needs some experience.

I've been impressed with Williams so far this season. he just seems like a talent upgrade over everyone else on the team - but it is going to take him some time to learn how to play

Hicks
11-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Jim specifically called out Shawne over his D? Priorities are really screwed up if that's the case.

rexnom
11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
I think Obie probably holds Shawne to higher standard than everyone else because he knows that Shawne is going nowhere and is a key part of this team.

Unclebuck
11-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Jim specifically called out Shawne over his D? Priorities are really screwed up if that's the case.

Someome asked him a question about how well Shawne played and O'Brien commented on his defense and the entire team's. I'm sure you can listen on Pacers.com if you want

LAPacer
11-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Shawne is better than I thought he would be

BlueNGold
11-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Shawne is better than I thought he would be

I agree. He is much more talented offensively than I expected. I knew he could shoot last year, but his quickness and ability to get to the rim has surprised me. I think as he matures and grows stronger physically, he might become more explosive and with that talent, the sky might be the limit. We can only hope!

LAPacer
11-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Yes, Shawne's potential (along with Ike, Danny) makes watching the Pacers games more bearable to watch

NapTonius Monk
11-21-2007, 02:24 PM
So, would you be open to trading JO, and building around Ike, Danny, and Shawne?

Mourning
11-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Again... good pick by Larry :-p.

I like how he's coming along, I hate how we switched things around this summer without making fundamental changes, except the one that was most obvious... a new coach.

I like Obie, really do, but I have serious reservations if this group has the talent to even touch on the playoffs. Not the first time I have felt like that.

OTOH I'm willing to waite until early december before I start giving judgement. It still is early and a lot can still happen and improve :).

Either way Shawne is definitely a positive point for this team at this point in time.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Naptown_Seth
11-21-2007, 02:36 PM
As I said to Mal and Gnome last night...

SUPA STAH!

I jocked him quite a bit last year too, and was promptly called a Granger hater (or Jackson lover even) when I compared him favorably over Danny, such as mentioning him having better awareness at both ends than Granger did.

Shawne was by far the most impactful and perhaps only solid, confident go-to player on the court for Indy vs the Lakers.

And Shawne's defense was a problem??? What, when he let Farmar bust some crazy jumpers or let Bynum come in for the dunk before he was even in the game? Sorry, but IMO if the response was phrased as stated in this thread then that was just JOB avoiding throwing some players under the bus but not others.

Shawne played a lot last night. It wasn't because JOB was unhappy with his effort.

As Mal mentioned last night, if you could get that spark/swagger/confidence from Shawne into Danny, you'd have one heck of a combo. DG may never be that guy, but he's going to continue to find his game and improve. Know way in hell you trade either of those players unless you are getting a magic SG and are resigned to the fact that Dun can't be traded.

Robertmto
11-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Check the avy. :p

Anybody coming off the bench averaging 10 a game while shooting better than ANYONE on the team is gonna have my fanhood. Hell Marquis and Shawne are the only reasons i even watch the Ps anymore.

Do you guys think I really even care about defense?? Ummmm the Wiz are my favorite team, I haven't seen defense since JJ. (:censored: You Isaiah)

But yea basically me and Shade pwned you guys.

Shade
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
So, would you be open to trading JO, and building around Ike, Danny, and Shawne?

Absolutely.

I'd add Quis to that list if he weren't so injury-prone.

Shade
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Here's the quote about Shawne's defense last night:

"Shawne had so many breakdowns himself defensively," O'Brien said. "You can look at the stat sheet and say this guy scored this amount of points, but the bottom line is, unless whoever we have on the court really adheres to the scheme that we are trying to teach and play with a lot of energy, frankly I don't care who scores a lot of points. I always evaluate things from the defensive side of the court."

Naptown_Seth
11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Dear Jim,

Get a clue.

Signed, me

I just watched the first half on Tivo (went to the game). I didn't see any breakdowns by Shawne. I saw Shawne sprint back from missing an open baseline 3 to stop and nearly intercept a breakaway pass to Odom and I saw Shawne read the Lakers triangle and reach in to steal the ball from Odom as he drove by.

Breakdowns? Yeah, that was Troy, Jim. They don't really look the same either. Easy way to remember, Troy's the one making Luke Walton look swift. Maybe you were thinking Shawne was #11, getting regularly toasted by Farmar which set other guys up.

Heck, even Danny got burned stepping under the pick and roll at one point. Whatever Shawne was doing wrong was either later in the game (doubtful, don't recall it from the live version) or something that I just don't understand.

owl
11-21-2007, 06:11 PM
One of the first things I noticed about Shawne was his basketball awareness. Plus he
has never had that deer in the head light look like Harrison. He reminds me of D Mckey to
a certain extent.

Rajah Brown
11-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Naptown-

I'm with ya. Been telling people for months that I thought Sean had a
higher ceiling than Granger. He's a more natural, fluid, instinctive
player on the offensive end than DG is. But he has a ways way to
go to match DG's character and maturity as a young man and pro
athlete.

Hopefully, he'll work his butt off and reach his potential.

Brian
11-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Im not jumping on the bandwagon after one good game.

Coop
11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oGmlaZW2EyU

Here's a little video I ran across while on youtube that I hadn't seen. I didn't know Shawne lost his brother. For him to perservere and end up where he is now shows me he has a lot of character.

Robertmto
11-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Im not jumping on the bandwagon after one good game.

I believe I started the bandwagon at the Forum Party about 3+ months ago. Shade jumped on first after everybody else yelled their asses off @ me.

Coop
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I believe I started the bandwagon at the Forum Party about 3+ months ago. Shade jumped on first after everybody else yelled their asses off @ me.

False. :D

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=30015

Putnam
11-21-2007, 11:20 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=26682

Coop
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Ah, touche. :)

Robertmto
11-22-2007, 03:01 AM
i took credit first :devil:

Doddage
11-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I've been high on Shawne since the beginning of last season. It's good to see that his abilities and talent are able to be showcased now that he's getting playing time.

NuffSaid
11-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Shade/Naptown Seth,

Maybe JOB just got Shawne mixed up with one of the other brotha's on the team. They say sometimes we all look alike you know. (j/k...:-p )

I don't think Shawne defended Kobe, Fisher or Farmar any worse the Granger, Tinsley or Quis. They all gave up too much ground and failed to get to the wings to cover the shooters. So, if you want to lay blame put in squarely on ALL of our Guards that night. Not one of them defended the perimeter well at all that game.

aceace
11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Jamal #8 in this video... NBA top ten from 11/21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxjE8OGchNU

Shade
11-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Jamal #8 in this video... NBA top ten from 11/21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxjE8OGchNU

I don't know what that has to do with Shawne Williams, but holy bejezus, that was nifty. :eek: