PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Walsh open to taking over Knicks

Shade
11-20-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spkside205468996nov20,0,7399978.story

Pacers' Walsh open to taking over control of Knicks

<dl class="byline">BY KEN BERGER |ken.berger@newsday.com (ken.berger@newsday.com&subject=Walsh%20open%20to%20taking%20over%20contro l%20of%20Knicks)<dd> November 20, 2007</dd></dl> <script language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.newsday/sports/basketball/knicks;ptype=s;slug=ny-spkside205468996nov20;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;s z=88x31;tile=2;ord=37371766?" type="text/javascript"></script>http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3610/0/0/%2a/z;44306;0-0;0;12927879;21-88/31;0/0/0;;%7Eokv=;ptype=s;slug=ny-spkside205468996nov20;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;s z=88x31;tile=2;%7Esscs=%3f) <noscript>http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/trb.newsday/sports/basketball/knicks;ptype=s;slug=ny-spkside205468996nov20;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;s z=88x31;tile=2;ord=37371766? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/trb.newsday/sports/basketball/knicks;ptype=s;slug=ny-spkside205468996nov20;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;s z=88x31;tile=2;ord=37371766?)</noscript>

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - If the season spirals away from Isiah Thomas and he is fired, one of his former bosses would be interested in replacing him.

Donnie Walsh, who is leaving the Indiana Pacers after the season to pursue another high-level front-office job, "certainly would be open" to joining the Knicks with full control over the basketball operations, someone with knowledge of his thinking said yesterday.

"It's New York, and he loves New York and he loves this league," the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

<!-- END rail --> Walsh, 66, has been with the Pacers for 23 years and willingly has ceded control to Larry Bird. Having played high school ball in New York City before going to North Carolina to play for Frank McGuire, Walsh would be among the most credible candidates to take over the Knicks if Thomas is unable to save his job.

"He's very open-minded about things," the person familiar with Walsh's thinking said. "He welcomes a challenge, and obviously wherever he goes, he's going to have to have significant control of the organization."

With Garden chairman James Dolan's power apparently not waning, basketball control could be a sticking point for Walsh or another often-mentioned candidate to run the Knicks, former Suns CEO Jerry Colangelo.

Though Dolan has no plans to fire Thomas now, there is no sure way to predict how he will react if the losing spirals out of control. The most likely moves if Dolan makes a midseason change would be to promote Glen Grunwald to interim general manager and longtime assistant Herb Williams to interim coach.

The housecleaning would come next summer, with the Walsh angle presenting the possibility that Thomas could be replaced as coach by Rick Carlisle for the second time in his career. Carlisle, hired as the Pacers' coach after Bird and Walsh fired Thomas in 2003, currently is doing TV work. One league source yesterday called Carlisle a "plausible" choice as coach if Walsh succeeded Thomas as president.

Donnie and Rick together again in New York? Does this mean that Carlisle's signing here was not just a Bird thing?

Aw Heck
11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Wow, this looks like it's becoming increasingly likely to happen. Or it could be some wishful thinking on the part of the Knicks, their fans, and the NY media (who could blame them?)

Donnie leaving would be huge. It would almost be like Reggie leaving. The guy's been here so long he's been like an institution. He's been here for the good times and the bad times. Sure, the Pacers have never won a championship, but they came close and provided us with a lot of good memories. I know for people like Peck and Bball, something like this couldn't come fast enough. And part of me thinks it's time to see what Larry can do on his own without Donnie over his shoulder. But the Pacers could've done a lot worse than Donnie for a GM. Just look around the league.

All I know is that this seems like another part of a gradual "changing of the guards." Reggie retired after 17 years. Donnie's leaving after 23 years. And I know Mel and Herb Simon are getting up there in age. How long will it be before they give up the reins to their son? Or *gulp* sell the team? I think we've been very fortunate to have owners like the Simons, a GM like Donnie, and a player like Reggie. It just seems like all of that is going away, and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

If Donnie does decide to go to the Knicks, I'll be happy for him. As far as I'm concerned, he's earned it.

Kegboy
11-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Note that a "league" source said it was "plausible" that he'd hire Rick. I don't see why he possibly would. He didn't hire him in 2000, and Larry hired him in 03.

able
11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Note that a "league" source said it was "plausible" that he'd hire Rick. I don't see why he possibly would. He didn't hire him in 2000, and Larry hired him in 03.

words of wisdom, and with that in mind, who says the Simon's will not "outbid" anyone else?

I read that the brothers want DW to stay as long as he wants to work, at all cost.

makes the chances slimmer for NY

!Pacers-Fan!
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
i liked never walsh...too old...too slow...takes for ever to make a good basketball team...

indygeezer
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
i liked never walsh...too old...too slow...takes for ever to make a good basketball team...

(I'm still trying to decipher this)

This is really a non-issue in so many ways.

IF DW has already ceded the job to LB then Donnie would be leaving PSE as CEO...that means he would no longer be scheduling Conseco events.

But what I really see is this. It's the NY media.....they're talking about a successful GM.....they're talking about the Knicks. This will be a big deal for a few days then something else will distract the NY media and it will die away until near season end, then it will heat up again. The NY media Thrives on rumor....they have to, it's the only way they can get noticed.

bellisimo
11-20-2007, 05:29 PM
first rule of journalism - you're only as credible as your source - people who keep themselves as anonymous are not credible at all....atleast thats what I was told back in high school journalism class. :D

ABADays
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
first rule of journalism - you're only as credible as your source - people who keep themselves as anonymous are not credible at all....atleast thats what I was told back in high school journalism class. :D

I always shake my head when a source "not authorized to speak to the media" is speaking to the media.

rexnom
11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Someone familiar with his thinking? Wow...that is VERY vague. It could be anyone of us. I'd say I'm familiar with his thinking.

Evan_The_Dude
11-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Well shoot, I'm open to taking over the Knicks too.

DisapointedPacerFan
11-20-2007, 07:45 PM
this sounds realistic, but i don't trust this 'source'. the NY paper people aren't very trustworthy in their news work...nor is the LA peeps. remember, not too long ago, the gov. passed a bill that said that the reporter doesn't have to reveal its source. forget what its called, but its a law now. you aren't required to have a source.

Doddage
11-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I could really dig the Knicks if Donnie and Rick became a part of the organization. Of course, I wouldn't want them to be better than us, but still...

indygeezer
11-21-2007, 07:09 AM
In today's Star DW totaslly refutes this idea. Says that he will not be a candidate for any job that is IT's. They are friends and he wouldn't do that to a friend.

As I said, this rumor will die on the vine and then be brought back at the end of the season.

Naptown_Seth
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
On Rick's hiring and Bird - I always felt like Donnie regretted the choice he made and knew that he'd hung Rick out to dry waiting on Isiah's CBA situation to get resolved rather than telling Rick sorry right away and risk losing both he and Zeke if something went wrong.

So then he wants to get Rick back but needs an olive branch. He also needs to move his "friend" Isiah out the door. Bingo, Rick's pal Bird. Hire Bird, let him dump no-love-lost Isiah and be the good guy that talks Rick into coming back despite being crapped on a few years prior.

Either that or Bird was just randomly hired, then randomly flip-flopped the Pacers stance on keeping Isiah till after JO was resigned, then randomly picked old buddy Rick to be the new coach. ;)

Moses
11-21-2007, 02:20 PM
:laugh:

Post of the year right here.

Fool
11-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Walsh with an unlimited budget ... that's either scary or brilliant. Perhaps his biggest flaw has been overpaying to keep players. In New York - A) He wouldn't have to B) It wouldn't be as big of a problem if he did C) He'd have virtually unfettered freedom to do so.