PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what is wrong with Gerald Green?

idioteque
11-18-2007, 12:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2761

This guy was supposed to be a phenom coming out of high school, and while I haven't watched him play too much he was appearing to develop in Boston, scoring 10 a game in 22 minutes last year.

He's not really making an impact at all in Minnesota, his numbers have dipped considerably he has a few DNP-CD's.

Can anyone here enlighten me as to what is going on?

Kstat
11-18-2007, 12:58 PM
...Rashad McCants is a much better player?

Gerald Green has his dunking and every now and then, a three-point shot. That's his entire game. No mid-range shot to speak of, no defense, no rebounding, no floor vision...you get the point.

The Timberwolves have McCants, Brewer, Gomes, and Greg Buckner there for veteran leadership and defense. Green isn't better than any of them right now.

BTW, I haven't seen any improvement at all from gerald green since his first game. He went from 5 points in 11 minutes to 10 points in 22 minutes, and he had to shoot %42 from the field and %36 from the arc to do it, with very little contributions in any other area.

idioteque
11-18-2007, 01:03 PM
...Rashad McCants is a better player?

Sure, but 5.7 minutes a game with some DNP-CD's? He seems better than that. Hell, Corey Brewer is getting almost 20 minutes a game there and he's been in the league less than 10 games. They must have no faith in Green.

EDIT: Ok I read your whole post. Scary that some guys wanted Green as an intergral part of a JO deal before the Celts traded for KG.

Kstat
11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Sure, but 5.7 minutes a game with some DNP-CD's? He seems better than that. Hell, Corey Brewer is getting almost 20 minutes a game there and he's been in the league less than 10 games. They must have no faith in Green.

Again, I give you Buckner, McCants, Brewer, Gomes as the Minesota swingmen. WHo is he supposed to replace? They need Buckner to keep the other three in line.

And yeah, Brewer is struggling to score, but he also brings good defense, which Gerald can't do. He can also play SF, which Gerald the twig isn't likely to adapt well to.

ajbry
11-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Last year from watching the Celts, I was often pretty impressed with Gerald. Offensively he's still relatively limited to dunking and the perimeter bomb, but overall I felt like he would be breaking through soon. Not the highest basketball IQ, but he picked up things along the way which was good enough for somebody with as much potential as he has.

But it's still early in his career. The T-Mac comparisons were always too lofty, but I think he might be able to contribute if he can get back on track.

idioteque
11-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Again, I give you Buckner, McCants, Brewer, Gomes as the Minesota swingmen. WHo is he supposed to replace? They need Buckner to keep the other three in line.

See my edit ;)

avoidingtheclowns
11-18-2007, 02:43 PM
this is why when we were talking potential celtics deals i was never too high on green. sure theres potential there but he hasn't demonstrated the ability to improve and until he does behind brewer/buckner/co he'll sit.

croz24
11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
umm a phenom??? not really. he was a fairly highly rated recruit coming out, but in a VERY weak class. and even at that, he only become a top 5 player in his class after just one summer of aau ball. green is a great athlete but not much more...

idioteque
11-18-2007, 03:51 PM
umm a phenom??? not really. he was a fairly highly rated recruit coming out, but in a VERY weak class. and even at that, he only become a top 5 player in his class after just one summer of aau ball. green is a great athlete but not much more...

He drew T-Mac comparisons coming out of HS, that's enough for him to be considered a phenom to me.

T-Mac is averaging 26.8 a game this season so far. Say Gerald's ceiling was only HALF of what T-Mac is, and he'd be expected to produce 13.4 a game. He's not even close to doing THAT yet.

That's why I'm saying he's not living up to expectations.

Doug
11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Reading this thread, I could swear it's about Jonathon Bender.

MyFavMartin
11-18-2007, 09:04 PM
He's still just 21.

Think that college could have helped him out.

In Wiki, it states he repeated his junior year of high school. How could he get into Okl. State if he did that?

JayRedd
11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure he's just not good at basketball.

Kstat
11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
A 10th finger may have helped as well...

Rajah Brown
11-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Hmm. Alot of dunks, the occasional 3-pt shot, no mid-range game
and minimal b-ball-IQ ? That sounds vaguely familiar.

The initials J.B. come to mind...

JayRedd
11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Hmm. Alot of dunks, the occasional 3-pt shot, no mid-range game
and minimal b-ball-IQ ? That sounds vaguely familiar.

The initials J.B. come to mind...

I was thinking James White with better marketing and Paul Pierce to tell him what to do in a dunk contest.